How to handle Lacy

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fine. He was 17 or 18 years old when this happened. She was drunk, pushed him, and slapped him. We have no idea what kind of citizen he's been in the following 2 years since the incident. You see "man hits woman" and your immediate reaction is "okay, no other considerations should be made. he deserves to have his future dictated by a very bad thing he did as a very young man to a very belligerent drunk woman that assaulted him."

I think that's B.S. But I get it. Man hits woman. I'm expected to be a white knight.

What he did was awful, but it's not as cut and dry as "he hit a woman. end of story."

I'm not even going to get into the whole issue of double-standards with assault cases.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't know why Lacy would accept such a deal, knowing he's almost certain to get a better one elsewhere when free agency starts.
Maybe because he and his agent already know it might be the best deal he will be offered? I haven't a clue if this information is even true, which is why I asked for the source. I would wager to guess it's purely a rumor and speculation by someone.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why Lacy would accept such a deal, knowing he's almost certain to get a better one elsewhere when free agency starts.

unless he won't....

"According to Pete Dougherty of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, free agent Eddie Lacy will likely have to settle for a one-year deal in the $2 million range.

Dougherty came to this conclusion after speaking with an agent who has studied the running back market. Lacy burst onto the scene by earning Rookie of the Year honors in 2013, but has watched his production dip while battling injuries and weight issues. The Packers cut James Starks, and ex-WR Ty Montgomery is unlikely to develop into an every-down back. Given the alternatives, bringing Lacy back on a cheap one-year deal might be the Packers' best option."

Also note it doesn't say he has signed, but just that that's what the realistic figure would be.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
unless he won't....

"According to Pete Dougherty of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, free agent Eddie Lacy will likely have to settle for a one-year deal in the $2 million range.

Dougherty came to this conclusion after speaking with an agent who has studied the running back market. Lacy burst onto the scene by earning Rookie of the Year honors in 2013, but has watched his production dip while battling injuries and weight issues. The Packers cut James Starks, and ex-WR Ty Montgomery is unlikely to develop into an every-down back. Given the alternatives, bringing Lacy back on a cheap one-year deal might be the Packers' best option."

Also note it doesn't say he hasn't signed, but just that that's what the realistic figure would be.

Just came back to quote the article. You beat me to it. LOL While I respect Pete Dougherty, it is just speculation on what he thinks the Packers "should do". Personally, I agree with Pete and would be fine with Lacy returning on a no guarantee, incentive laden contract.

When and if that will happen, who knows. Lang hasn't even had any contact from the Packers yet.

http://nfltraderumors.co/free-agent-rb-eddie-lacy-may-settle-one-year-incentive-based-deal/

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just came back to quote the article. You beat me to it. LOL While I respect Pete Dougherty, it is just speculation on what he thinks the Packers "should do". Personally, I agree with Pete and would be fine with Lacy returning on a no guarantee, incentive laden contract.

When and if that will happen, who knows. Lang hasn't even had any contact from the Packers yet.

http://nfltraderumors.co/free-agent-rb-eddie-lacy-may-settle-one-year-incentive-based-deal/

I should note, i copied and pasted from rotoworld. I think the second paragraph is rotoworld's thoughts on the tweet, not a Dougherty quote.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fine. He was 17 or 18 years old when this happened. She was drunk, pushed him, and slapped him. We have no idea what kind of citizen he's been in the following 2 years since the incident. You see "man hits woman" and your immediate reaction is "okay, no other considerations should be made. he deserves to have his future dictated by a very bad thing he did as a very young man to a very belligerent drunk woman that assaulted him."

I think that's B.S. But I get it. Man hits woman. I'm expected to be a white knight.

What he did was awful, but it's not as cut and dry as "he hit a woman. end of story."

I'm not even going to get into the whole issue of double-standards with assault cases.
I get what you are saying, but Mixon used EXCESSIVE force. He could have just grabbed her arms.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darn, I really wanted to say something about Starks but that thread was locked. Now what am I going to do?:unsure::unsure:

:D:D:D:D:D:D

That was for you Poppa ;)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He may get a better deal somewhere else by a million or two or three but it may be nothing compared to what he could get if he comes back for 1 year and sets himself up as a RB who can perform like he did in his first two years rather than his last two.

A chance to prove himself and earn even a bigger payday next year could be the very reason why he may accept such an offer.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know a lot of people are kind of down on Eddie Lacy and I have my doubts with his conditioning and motivation as well, but I was a bit shocked when I compared his 4 year stats with Le'veon Bell's 4 year stats. While Bell is obviously the better and more complete back, by how much $$ wise? Pittsburgh is talking about slapping the franchise tag on Bell, costing them about $12.377 million for 2017, which would be cheaper than what it is being rumored he wants ($15M)

Obviously, the BIG question with Lacy is who would you get in 2017? The RB we saw in 2013, 2014 and the first part of 2016? Or the out of shape, often injured back we saw in 2015 and some were convinced we saw most of 2016 while he was playing?

Eddie Lacy:

788 attempts
3,435 total yards
4.4 ave/carry
23 TDS
101 receptions/ 900 Rec. Yards/ 8.9 ave

Bell:

908 attempts
4,045 total yards
4.5 ave/carry
26 TDS
227 receptions/2005 Rec. yards/8.8 ave.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I know a lot of people are kind of down on Eddie Lacy and I have my doubts with his conditioning and motivation as well, but I was a bit shocked when I compared his 4 year stats with Le'veon Bell's 4 year stats. While Bell is obviously the better and more complete back, by how much $$ wise? Pittsburgh is talking about slapping the franchise tag on Bell, costing them about $12.377 million for 2017, which would be cheaper than what it is being rumored he wants ($15M)

Obviously, the BIG question with Lacy is who would you get in 2017? The RB we saw in 2013, 2014 and the first part of 2016? Or the out of shape, often injured back we saw in 2015 and some were convinced we saw most of 2016 while he was playing?

Eddie Lacy:

788 attempts
3,435 total yards
4.4 ave/carry
23 TDS
101 receptions/ 900 Rec. Yards/ 8.9 ave

Bell:

908 attempts
4,045 total yards
4.5 ave/carry
26 TDS
227 receptions/2005 Rec. yards/8.8 ave.

As someone who does not want Lacy back, I will say that it isn't because he isn't good. I know he's really good. And I would love for him to be reliable and remain the starter. But it's the reliability thing when it comes to what he can control. He's not committed to being in shape, and while he has still had a good performer at times while overweight, it makes him more injury prone and hurts his availability.

If they keep him on a cheap, one year deal, that's ok. But they had better still draft some help so they aren't stuck in the same boat that he left them in last year.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look at Alfred Morris who played exceptional on rookie contract. Then went to Dallas super cheap like 2mil per year, it makes me question my first prediction of another team signing him to a 4-5 million per year deal. He either signs with us 2mil or someone else 2mil per year. Does anyone else think its possible that Belichick may look at Lacy as a younger cheaper Blount?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As someone who does not want Lacy back, I will say that it isn't because he isn't good. I know he's really good. And I would love for him to be reliable and remain the starter. But it's the reliability thing when it comes to what he can control. He's not committed to being in shape, and while he has still had a good performer at times while overweight, it makes him more injury prone and hurts his availability.

If they keep him on a cheap, one year deal, that's ok. But they had better still draft some help so they aren't stuck in the same boat that he left them in last year.

I don't think anyone who signs Lacy can realistically view him as a full time starter, even when he is healthy (and in shape) his asthma, size and running style will never allow him to be a workhorse. Because of that he won't be offered starter money, but someone may get lucky by paying him a lot less with no guarantees and a few incentives and end up with a back that can give them 10-15 decent carries a game. If he comes to camp out of shape, unmotivated and unproductive, you cut him.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope the report is true. Lacy for 2 mil next season for him to prove it is a zero risk scenario. Groom Ty and draft another guy since the draft is stacked, or bring back Michael.

D

Deleted member 6794

He may get a better deal somewhere else by a million or two or three but it may be nothing compared to what he could get if he comes back for 1 year and sets himself up as a RB who can perform like he did in his first two years rather than his last two.

A chance to prove himself and earn even a bigger payday next year could be the very reason why he may accept such an offer.

I guess that most teams will be extremely reluctant to offer Lacy a lucrative long term contract even if he performs on a high level and stays in shape on a prove it deal in 2017. On the other hand it only takes one club to think they are capable of keeping him focused though.

I know a lot of people are kind of down on Eddie Lacy and I have my doubts with his conditioning and motivation as well, but I was a bit shocked when I compared his 4 year stats with Le'veon Bell's 4 year stats.

There´s absolutely no doubt Lacy is one of the most talented running backs in the league when keeping his weight in check. Unfortunately I don´t see any reason to trust him to stay in shape over the long haul.

Does anyone else think its possible that Belichick may look at Lacy as a younger cheaper Blount?

It´s possible the Patriots take a chance on Lacy. If Belichick isn´t able to fix him he´s most likely done in the NFL though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hope the report is true. Lacy for 2 mil next season for him to prove it is a zero risk scenario. Groom Ty and draft another guy since the draft is stacked, or bring back Michael.

There´s some risk involved with signing Lacy to a contract of this sort as well as the Packers would rely on him being at least part of the running back rotation and therefore would have to get rid of another player at the position.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There´s some risk involved with signing Lacy to a contract of this sort as well as the Packers would rely on him being at least part of the running back rotation and therefore would have to get rid of another player at the position.
With the exception of DuJuan Harris there haven't been any other (iirc) RB's who have been cut (recently) and had success elsewhere... so bottom end RB talent hasn't been "loaded".

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Not the place for this.. Make new thread

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With the exception of DuJuan Harris there haven't been any other (iirc) RB's who have been cut (recently) and had success elsewhere... so bottom end RB talent hasn't been "loaded".

I agree with this and the way the Packers disregarded having much in the way of a 3rd back last year and how it came back to bite them, makes your point even more important that they start the season with 3 RB's. My big question marks revolve around both Monty and Lacy. Is Monty durable enough to be a 10-15 carry/game guy for the whole season? Will Lacy be able to provide the same? Theses are questions only the Packers coaches and training staff have the most information on and have to decide. If the answer is yes on both, then I would be fine signing Lacy on a low end, no guarantees incentive based contract. Draft a rookie mid round, bring in your bevy of UDFA RB's and make the competition for the #3 and PS strong. If Lacy doesn't make it, you really haven't lost much, other than trying to sign another FA RB during the signing period, which I don't see TT doing anyway.

One other question I have on Lacy and this again is something the Packer staff probably has more information on, than the posts I have read here that seem to be "I heard" information only. Does he have a drinking problem or does he like to socially drink on occassion? If he is a full on alcoholic, that is far different than a guy who likes to have a beer or 2 when he isn't playing. If its the latter and he can stay in shape, I don't see it as a problem.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A pretty decent article (below), that I agree with concerning Lacy. Only thing I would add to it, is that any contract with him should have very few, if any guarantees.

If TT was a wheeler and dealer in the FA or trade department, I would like our odds of finding another veteran complimentary back to go along with Monty. Maybe TT will surprise us, let Lacy walk, take the compensatory pick and shop for a more reliable FA RB. However, if TT isn't willing to do that, I wouldn't be too excited having to use a high draft pick on a RB, when there are glaring needs at CB and OLB, or even worse, go into 2017 with Monty, a mid round pick and an assortment of UDFA's. In that scenario, if Monty can't shoulder the load, we may find ourselves right back to what happened when Lacy and Starks went down in 2016.

Sign Lacy cheap, get him in shape with incentives and start working on the depth behind him and Monty.

http://lombardiave.com/2017/02/10/green-bay-packers-eddie-lacy-resign/

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Nate .... I actually understand your frustration ..... so forget it was a woman.... he hit her in the face hard enough to break bones simply because she shoved him.... his over reaction and lack of regard for its likely consequences are enough to tell me I don't need to have him around.
Make a new thread

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
A pretty decent article below), that I agree with concerning Lacy. Only thing I would add to it, is that any contract with him should have very few, if any guarantees.

If TT was a wheeler and dealer in the FA or trade department, I would like our odds of finding another veteran complimentary back to go along with Monty. Maybe TT will surprise us, let Lacy walk, take the compensatory pick and shop for a more reliable FA RB. However, if TT isn't willing to do that, I wouldn't be too excited having to use a high draft pick on a RB, when there are glaring needs at CB and OLB, or even worse, go into 2017 with Monty, a mid round pick and an assortment of UDFA's. In that scenario, if Monty can't shoulder the load, we may find ourselves right back to what happened when Lacy and Starks went down in 2016.

Sign Lacy cheap, get him in shape with incentives and start working on the depth behind him and Monty.

http://lombardiave.com/2017/02/10/green-bay-packers-eddie-lacy-resign/
This is supposed to be a deep RB class. I can see us getting a good one with one of the 4th round picks as well as Thompson picking up a guy in the 2nd or 3rd week of free agency to complement Montgomery if he chooses not to further pursue Michaels or Lacy.

Members online

Latest posts