How to handle Lacy

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is the weight a non factor? The guy ballooned up over 260. That is crazy. Even after losing some in the offseason, he started gaining it right back. He has ankle issues. Excess weight puts excess strain on joints. Excess strain on susceptible joints leads to injured joints.
Big boys have big ankles. Some times they hurt their ankles. Did you see the injury happen? Because i bet he got hurt running through someone and was hit by someone else low. A typical injury for a big punishing rb. And if he was 260, he holds it well...

I remember the entire 2015 offense looking very weak. Including the make shift oline... How is it that lacy is the only one being ridiculed? Answer that.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Big boys have big ankles. Some times they hurt their ankles. Did you see the injury happen? Because i bet he got hurt running through someone and was hit by someone else low. A typical injury for a big punishing rb. And if he was 260, he holds it well...

I remember the entire 2015 offense looking very weak. Including the make shift oline... How is it that lacy is the only one being ridiculed? Answer that.

Big boys have big ankles? What?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't know if ridiculed is the right word, but when you see a guy gain 30lbs back in training camp it certainly sends up warning signs. Most are getting in better shape at that time, not worse

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No doubt in my mind that Lacy hasn't had the focus (off the field) required to be what he could be. Given that he was on a rookie contract during those 4 years, the Packers can consider themselves lucky that it wasn't after he signed a $60M 4/5 year contract that they were locked into. I am sure his agent, family, friends, advisors have all been whispering in his ear "it's now or never Eddie" and if that, along with signing a "minimal" contract, isn't motivation at this point in his career, then nothing will be and he won't be around much longer. But I still think that given the Packers current depth chart at RB and Lacy's potential upside, signing him to the right deal makes sense.

D

Deleted member 6794

He looked great on the field last year until the injury. I dont know where the dislike comes from...

There is absolutely no dislike for Lacy but concerns about his ability to stay on the field because he doesn't put in the work to stay in shape.

I also get tired of hearing people say "Lacy is so out of shape that he can't be relied on to be out there all the time." How many backs in the NFL and even college, with his pounding running style are 3 down backs for a full game?

The problem being Lacy can't even stay out there for an entire drive because of his terrible conditioning.

First. If it wasnt brought up, i never would have even noticed his weight. Its imo a non factor, and shouldnt have even been brought up...

Did you only listen to Packers games over the radio??? Otherwise there's no way missing Lacy having been overweight over the past two seasons.

Release him and get Blount or A.P. in.

Both players are on the wrong side of 30 years old. No, thanks.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and there's no need to release him, he's a Free Agent when the time matters

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The problem being Lacy can't even stay out there for an entire drive because of his terrible conditioning.

While I agree with you on this, I wouldn't blame it all on lack of conditioning, his running style has something to do with it too. I would also have to ask you how many backs in the NFL stay out on the field for the entire drive? Even if Lacy can't be counted on to be on the field for every play, I'm fine with that. I would much rather have Monty and Eddie Lacy for 10-15 carries/game, than Monty and someone like Starks, Davis, Jackson, Michael....pick a name.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
While I agree with you on this, I wouldn't blame it all on lack of conditioning, his running style has something to do with it too. I would also have to ask you how many backs in the NFL stay out on the field for the entire drive? Even if Lacy can't be counted on to be on the field for every play, I'm fine with that. I would much rather have Monty and Eddie Lacy for 10-15 carries/game, than Monty and someone like Starks, Davis, Jackson, Michael....pick a name.

I would say every starter in the league regularly plays entire drives. I don't have statistics, but it is super common. I'm not saying they play every snap of every drive, but that's not what we're talking about.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would say every starter in the league regularly plays entire drives. I don't have statistics, but it is super common. I'm not saying they play every snap of every drive, but that's not what we're talking about.

I would disagree with that as it pertains to the RB position.

Would be an interesting stat to see. But it still wouldn't really matter much to me. The Patriots seem to have had success rotating Blount and White during series, as do other teams who rotate backs in and out. Even the Dallas Cowboys and their potent run game ran the ball 499 times in the regular season, 177 (36%) of those carries were by someone other than Ezekiel Elliott.

So if you are looking for a RB who will be the workhorse for the Packers and get the majority of the carries, Lacy is probably not that guy, but I doubt Monty is either.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Also, having to deal with asthma probably doesn't make it any easier.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Also, having to deal with asthma probably doesn't make it any easier.

Agree and I have mentioned that before. I am pretty sure, that it is a condition, as well as Lacy's size, that the Packers knew well ahead of taking him in the 2nd round.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would disagree with that as it pertains to the RB position.

Would be an interesting stat to see. But it still wouldn't really matter much to me. The Patriots seem to have had success rotating Blount and White during series, as do other teams who rotate backs in and out. Even the Dallas Cowboys and their potent run game ran the ball 499 times in the regular season, 177 (36%) of those carries were by someone other than Ezekiel Elliott.

So if you are looking for a RB who will be the workhorse for the Packers and get the majority of the carries, Lacy is probably not that guy, but I doubt Monty is either.

I absolutely agree that everyone spells their starters. But what I'm saying is that it is totally normal for a back to play an entire drive at a time. If a guy isn't in shape enough to do that on occasion, that's a problem. And I would just continue to point out that Lacy was not given a heavy workload at all before getting hurt this season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I absolutely agree that everyone spells their starters. But what I'm saying is that it is totally normal for a back to play an entire drive at a time. If a guy isn't in shape enough to do that on occasion, that's a problem. And I would just continue to point out that Lacy was not given a heavy workload at all before getting hurt this season.

The beauty of the Packer offense, no RB is given a heavy workload because of AR and the passing game. Again, if you favor a one back system, which most teams are getting away from, than Lacy is definitely not your man, in shape or out of shape. Nor is Ty Montgomery IMO, who in the 13 games he played RB, averaged 5.54 carries/game.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The beauty of the Packer offense, no RB is given a heavy workload because of AR and the passing game. Again, if you favor a one back system, which most teams are getting away from, than Lacy is definitely not your man, in shape or out of shape. Nor is Ty Montgomery IMO, who in the 13 games he played RB, averaged 5.54 carries/game.

Right. I agree with all this. But that just illustrates my point that there really isn't an excuse for Lacy when it comes to carry counts and work load.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Right. I agree with all this. But that just illustrates my point that there really isn't an excuse for Lacy when it comes to carry counts and work load.

I for one wasn't making any excuses for why Lacy needed to have a bigger carry count or workload. His 14.2 carries/game and 5.1 yard average in 2016 was just fine by me. Even in his "most out of shape" season of 2015, the guy averaged 12.47 carries/game and a 4.1 yard average. This isn't an offense that requires a 20-30 carry/game back.

Really not sure what you are looking for here? Do you think he needs to have more carries? Or do you think it hurts the team when they have to use a second back to spell Lacy?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lacy will now have motivation knowing what mont can do in the back. this potential deadly duo will put fear in defenses while having our passing game in rods hands. they relied heavily on lacy. something tells me that lacy knew starks was regressing and just didn't have the motivation to get all the runs done by himself. that pressure is now shared among mont. hopefully we keep lacy and see what these two are capable of doing.
mont will give him the push he needs.... a spark that makes lacy's engine run on all cylinders and he has fun running the ball.

I don't think pressure from a player behind him on the depth chart will motivate Lacy. His lack of motivation seems to come from within. He needs to want to prove to himself that he can be productive because he wants to and not because someone else is pushing him.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone is getting my thought process. LOL

However, I don't think TT really needs to decide if Lacy is the #1 back until Lacy proves he is. As long as the Packers don't' give him much guaranteed money, you cut him if he doesn't live up to his end of the weight and conditioning. You really haven't lost much, other than pursuing a FA in March, which Ted won't do anyway.

As you pointed out and I have been trying to, Lacy is nothing more than an option for one of 3 backs that should end up on the 53 man roster.

He doesn't really need to decide right now if he will be the #1 guy but I think he has to be confident that he can be the #1 guy. Obviously if Monty, or a rookie or even Crockett or Tubbs, or is Lacy Tubbs, outplay him he moves down the chart or even off the team. I just don't think he is resigned if Ted is simply hoping he can get back to the way he was in his first two seasons. He will need to be confident that he can.

I totally get what you are saying that if there are no guarantees what would it hurt and as a fan I agree but I don't think Ted feels that way.

I do think we are pretty much in agreement on this however.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think pressure from a player behind him on the depth chart will motivate Lacy. His lack of motivation seems to come from within. He needs to want to prove to himself that he can be productive because he wants to and not because someone else is pushing him.

Agreed, in the sense that this kind of motivation has always been there probably from the time he started playing football, so it probably won't have any increase effect this season. I think we saw a "contract year" motivate him last Spring. Give him credit, he did appear to get himself into better shape and just maybe, this offseason he is working with "career motivation" and that will finally stick and be what he needs.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He doesn't really need to decide right now if he will be the #1 guy but I think he has to be confident that he can be the #1 guy. Obviously if Monty, or a rookie or even Crockett or Tubbs, or is Lacy Tubbs, outplay him he moves down the chart or even off the team. I just don't think he is resigned if Ted is simply hoping he can get back to the way he was in his first two seasons. He will need to be confident that he can.

I totally get what you are saying that if there are no guarantees what would it hurt and as a fan I agree but I don't think Ted feels that way.

I do think we are pretty much in agreement on this however.

Ted and any other GM knows Lacy has the ability to be the #1. This isn't a guy that has "shown flashes", no he IS that guy, as long as he can get in decent shape and not get injured, but you have the injury fear with any player.

But by being able to sign a guy in this day and age for $2M and fully expect to get the numbers that Lacy could put up, would be wishful thinking but realistic thinking if come September, Lacy actually is in Football shape.

Imagine if Lacy had not gotten injured and his 2016 season continued at the same pace it started. What kind of numbers would we be talking to resign him? Sure people would still have that nagging fear of his weight and conditioning, but I am quite certain $2M and 1 year wouldn't be the number we would be looking at.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, in the sense that this kind of motivation has always been there probably from the time he started playing football, so it probably won't have any increase effect this season. I think we saw a "contract year" motivate him last Spring. Give him credit, he did appear to get himself into better shape and just maybe, this offseason he is working with "career motivation" and that will finally stick be what he needs.

Only if we resign him though. I don't want him going to the Patriots or vikings and turning into an all pro ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Only if we resign him though. I don't want him going to the Patriots or vikings and turning into an all pro ;)

If he does, I might just utter the words "I told you so". LOL

If the Packers are able to sign him with little or no guarantees and everyone who thinks they shouldn't, turn out to be right and he gets cut, what have the Packers lost?

Perfect Risk-Reward scenario IMO.

Good article posted today about the Packers potential re-signing of Lacy

http://lombardiave.com/2017/02/17/green-bay-packers-staying-course-eddie-lacy/

Last edited: