How to handle Lacy

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some people don't fit the mold. Doesn't mean they aren't great in their own right. Its the coaches and franchises job to get as much out of these guys as they can... Right now I see a military style regiment in GB that says, if you don't fit our mold, then you will not be here long term... lacy doesn't cut it down to 230-235. Everything is his fault, and he gets sent to FA... In a way that works... In many ways, its ignoring what he is, and being too stubborn to accept he doesn't fit your plan...

What do you think happens if the Steelers demand Bettis stayed at 235? I'll tell you what. Bettis isn't bettis. "The Bus" never exists.

A sign of a great coach is to get the most out of his players. Scheme can make up for weaknesses, and on the other side of the spectrum, it can create opportunities. You cant force under sized guys who are here to rush the passer, to be good at stopping the run, just because scheme says so... Its the scheme that allows the under sized speed guys to play to their advantages, and avoid their weaknesses...

So why aren't we doing that with Lacy. The guy has a couple ankle injuries in his career, and all of a sudden he is a fat floppy pile of crap? Give me a break!!! GB has lacked a run game since zone blocking came to town. Lacy single handedly gave us a respectable rush attack for the first time since batman! Then he averaged 5.1 ypc. this year. Was one of the bright spots on the whole offense early on. Gets hurt, and people go right back to calling him fat, and send him to the glue factory??? News flash... RBs get hurt all the time... With Lacy. Everyone wants to change him. Now its a game for people to pick on his weight. This crap needs to stop.

Here is what I see with Lacy. A young man who wants to be accepted. A person with almost a unique physical ability. Never have I seen a guy that size, pull off a spin move like that!!!!!!!! Its remarkable! He has burst for such a big guy, and he finished his runs like a 260 pound RB. He got us the hard yard for the first time in a decade (it seemed). He goes out, and Rip/Monty both get stuffed on the hard yard when it counts. Lacy is a beast, and we need to accept that, and use him to the best of his abilities.

D

Deleted member 6794

I guess the Packers would be fine with Lacy playing at 240 pounds but him lining up with any more weight results in poor conditioning not being able to finish drives and additional stress to his legs forcing injuries.

While Lacy significantly improved the Packers running game him not being able to stay in shape for two consecutive seasons doesn't bode well for the time after he signs a lucrative long term deal.

Unfortunately therefore I think it's best for the Packers to move on and add another running back in the draft.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the Packers would be fine with Lacy playing at 240 pounds but him lining up with any more weight results in poor conditioning not being able to finish drives and additional stress to his legs forcing injuries.

While Lacy significantly improved the Packers running game him not being able to stay in shape for two consecutive seasons doesn't bode well for the time after he signs a lucrative long term deal.

Unfortunately therefore I think it's best for the Packers to move on and add another running back in the draft.
I'm on the fence here.... so I guess it really comes down the contract. If he is able to get a lucrative deal, I think it should be elsewhere, but if we can sign him to a cheap prove it contract then.... I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him around. However, I would like to see some more competition brought in as well.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The "prove it" contract is the only way I would think about keeping him, but even then you again running the risk of relying on him heavily for your rushing success and having him go down again with another injury due to being so big. I just tend to favor finding another option to pair with Montgomery.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Just say no. Just like drugs.

If he can't manage his weight, he runs the risk of more injuries. If he can't stay on the field then he is no good to us. And the fact that he couldn't get to and sustain a manageable weight in a contract year tells me it's time to move forward.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Just say no. Just like drugs.

If he can't manage his weight, he runs the risk of more injuries. If he can't stay on the field then he is no good to us. And the fact that he couldn't get to and sustain a manageable weight in a contract year tells me it's time to move forward.

Yeah, that red flag is hard to overstate. If a guy won't get his weight under control for one year so that he can score a life altering pay day, then what is it going to take? Maybe I'll be shocked, but I have every expectation tha the team that gives him a long term deal will regret it. We will see what he can command on the market.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Trouble is the wieght is from drinking.. Missing curfews and not motivated. That's the issue

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer should see what they can get for eddie, or light some fire under his butt draft dalvin cook with the 1st round pick. I still think eddie is a beast at RB its just his weight he needs to be 100 percent committed to football.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 year prove it deal. Eddie was running great before he got hurt this past season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packer should see what they can get for eddie, or light some fire under his butt draft dalvin cook with the 1st round pick. I still think eddie is a beast at RB its just his weight he needs to be 100 percent committed to football.

With Lacy becoming a free agent in March the Packers won't get anything for him aside of possibly a compensatory pick in 2018 if he signs with another team.

Even if the Packers decide to let Lacy walk away the team has more pressing needs to address in the first round.

While I agree that weight is the only readon for concern him not being able to stay in shape for two consecutive seasons is a huge red flag.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Lacy becoming a free agent in March the Packers won't get anything for him aside of possibly a compensatory pick in 2018 if he signs with another team.

Even if the Packers decide to let Lacy walk away the team has more pressing needs to address in the first round.

While I agree that weight is the only readon for concern him not being able to stay in shape for two consecutive seasons is a huge red flag.
I think if we had a run game that falcon game would have went alot different sometimes your best defense is keeping the other QB off the field. I wouldnt be mad if the packers Snagged Dalvin in the first round. This years draft is filled with solid corners. I think the pack can grab an above average corner in the 2nd. Dalvin Cook is special can hit the home run from anywhere, he also can catch out the backfield. I also dont think Monty is a true RB those hits took a toll on him this year hes also not that great at blocking and blitz pick ups. Atlanta had him out every other play.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
1 year prove it deal. Eddie was running great before he got hurt this past season.

If they did that, they had better still draft a back so they aren't left without someone to compliment Montgomery should Lacy go down again.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think if we had a run game that falcon game would have went alot different sometimes your best defense is keeping the other QB off the field. I wouldnt be mad if the packers Snagged Dalvin in the first round. This years draft is filled with solid corners. I think the pack can grab an above average corner in the 2nd. Dalvin Cook is special can hit the home run from anywhere. I also dont think Monty is a true RB those hits took a toll on him this year. Atlanta had him out every other play.

While Dalvin Cook is a highly talented prospect the Packers can add a decent running back later in the draft. The team has to address cornerback and outside linebacker first though.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Dalvin Cook is a highly talented prospect the Packers can add a decent running back later in the draft. The team first has to address cornerback and outside linebacker though.
Free agency TT needs to grab a corner someone that can help right now. I just think Dalvin is to special to let pass if the pack can snag him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Free agency TT needs to grab a corner someone that can help right now. I just think Dalvin is to special to let pass if the pack can snag him.

I agree the Packers should upgrade cornerback and outside linebacker in free agency as well but would like the team to spend early round picks on the position as well. Cook will most likely be off the board by the time the Packers are on the clock.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Lacy too, he just needs to get back down to his 2013-2014 playing shape. Is that impossible? Who knows. But it wasn't that long ago and if he is past the point of no return, there is no reason to keep him.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
The sad part is an overweight Lacy is still better than anyone else currently on the roster.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trouble is the wieght is from drinking.. Missing curfews and not motivated. That's the issue
Well that's hard to argue with...
Does that go for 2015? Or did it continue into 2016?

Its hard to judge Lacy's mediocre 2015, when literally everyone on offense had a mediocre 2015.
2016 he looked great if you ask me. right up until the ankle. So I wonder if a lot of this is just being blown out of proportion? Maybe lighten the reigns a little?

D

Deleted member 6794

I like Lacy too, he just needs to get back down to his 2013-2014 playing shape. Is that impossible? Who knows. But it wasn't that long ago and if he is past the point of no return, there is no reason to keep him.

There's no doubt Lacy was a great running back in 2013 and '14 and he even performed at a high level last season before getting injured. Unfortunately I highly doubt he would put in the necessary work to stay in shape once getting a lucrative long term contract after he wasn't able to keep his weight in check for two seasons, especially with one of them being a contract year.

The sad part is an overweight Lacy is still better than anyone else currently on the roster.

While that's most likely true the Packers can't rely on Lacy finishing a drive because of bad conditioning as well as him staying healthy while being overweight.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
How to handle Lacy... Well, a forklift comes to mind... Look, if the kid doesn't respect himself, I'm not sure there is much hope truthfully.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need two good RBs anyways. Lacy and Montgomery splitting would be sweet. But Id also like to see a rookie added to the bunch...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he'd be at 235 i'd sign him in a heartbeat. But he looks as big as ever in his podcasts and though he was running better, he looked to gain 30lbs over the course of training camp. That doesn't sit right with me. I didn't gain 30 this season and pretty much all I did was sit around

Members online

Latest posts