how to beat aaron rodgers and the packers?

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone mentioned the Tampa 2.....

The Colts 2006 SB defense or some of the past defenses in Tampa Bay way back under Tony Dungy would have been interesting vs. this Packers offense. We had a real DT that postseason with McFarland (traded from the Bucs). Freeney/Mathis on the outside. Good secondary with a healthy Bob Sanders and Bethea and Nick Harper. Decent LBs.
That D stuffed the run for 4 games.

Now the Bears have been a better version of the Tampa 2 D over the years but that postseason D for the Colts was one of the tightest ones I have seen.

This D only works effectively though if you have a real DT who can collapse the pocket with pressure coming mainly from the front 4 (we had one that postseason) and it helps when you have a safety playing out of his mind. (Bob Sanders)

That would be interesting. I oughta sim a game in Madden between this year's Packers and the 2006 Colts.

Basically, to stop the Packers offense, it would require DEs that can get consistent pressure, an array of physical shutdown corners and ballhawking safeties to contain the Packers WR corps (or, what I'd like to call the, "Six-Pack"; Greg Jennings, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, Donald Driver, Jermichael Finley, and Randall Cobb), and a good West Coast offense that's able to sustain long 10-play drives to keep Rodgers as off the field as possible to rest the defense. Even then, it would require a good deal of intangibles and x-factors such as ST plays (Cobb fumbles again, or the return man runs one back for a TD) and hoping the Packers beat themselves and the cheeseheads don't take over your stadium (That's out of the question for the Chargers at least. I've heard as many as 30,000 Packers fans will be at the game, about 42.52% of the entire stadium).

The only NFC team I can consider having a standing chance against us in the playoffs is the 49ers. The Saints have a hi-octane offense, but are terrible on the road, especially in the cold. The Giants also have a good offense and they offer great pass rush, but their secondary is dilapidated and marred with injuries (I've heard they've already burned through 7 DBs. Yes, 7). The Lions can inflict pressure, but they can't stop the run and have a suspect secondary. The 49ers are masters of the WCO, and has one of the best run defenses in the NFC. They're ranked 21st overall in total passing yards allowed, but I wouldn't underestimate their secondary. A playoff game against them would be a nail-biter until the end.

EDIT: Here's a good article on how to stop the Packers offense:

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You beat the Pack by keeping Rodgers in the pocket and covering the weapons. The Pack wins against aggressive D. When the D contains us, then our drives stall.

Screens work well against us. End arounds, and slant plays are usual winners against our D.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
That would be interesting. I oughta sim a game in Madden between this year's Packers and the 2006 Colts.

Basically, to stop the Packers offense, it would require DEs that can get consistent pressure, an array of physical shutdown corners and ballhawking safeties to contain the Packers WR corps (or, what I'd like to call the, "Six-Pack"; Greg Jennings, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, Donald Driver, Jermichael Finley, and Randall Cobb), and a good West Coast offense that's able to sustain long 10-play drives to keep Rodgers as off the field as possible to rest the defense. Even then, it would require a good deal of intangibles and x-factors such as ST plays (Cobb fumbles again, or the return man runs one back for a TD) and hoping the Packers beat themselves and the cheeseheads don't take over your stadium (That's out of the question for the Chargers at least. I've heard as many as 30,000 Packers fans will be at the game, about 42.52% of the entire stadium).

The only NFC team I can consider having a standing chance against us in the playoffs is the 49ers. The Saints have a hi-octane offense, but are terrible on the road, especially in the cold. The Giants also have a good offense and they offer great pass rush, but their secondary is dilapidated and marred with injuries (I've heard they've already burned through 7 DBs. Yes, 7). The Lions can inflict pressure, but they can't stop the run and have a suspect secondary. The 49ers are masters of the WCO, and has one of the best run defenses in the NFC. They're ranked 21st overall in total passing yards allowed, but I wouldn't underestimate their secondary. A playoff game against them would be a nail-biter until the end.

EDIT: Here's a good article on how to stop the Packers offense:

Keep in mind the 2006 Colts D was horrible against the run. It was a turnaround. The 2005 Colts vs. 2011 Packers might have been a good game. That was our best team and the offense had Harrison/Wayne/Stokley/Clark still in their primes with a great o line + Edge. A potential shootout between the teams maybe but I would give the edge to this years Packers still on a neutral site.

Wow at 42.52% Packers fans in SD.

Nice breakdown of the Niners too. And yeah they can stop the run great.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
[quote="Jules18, post: 399825, member: 4098"

Wow at 42.52% Packers fans in SD.

[/quote]

We're everywhere. We're EVERYWHERE!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are Packers fans thinking of ways for their own team to get beaten?

No team can stop the Packers. All the rest on the schedule should just not bother wasting their time playing the Packers. If they were smart they would forfeit. Seriously.
The Packers have found a way to outsmart anything any other defense throws at them and the defense, despite the BS stats, have found ways to outplay the opposing offense.

Case in point why the offense cannot be shut down. They are just too damn smart and good for other teams.
http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...deserves/18fa98bd-c43f-49fe-b8ae-c7f3cde4200b

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are Packers fans thinking of ways for their own team to get beaten?

No team can stop the Packers. All the rest on the schedule should just not bother wasting their time playing the Packers. If they were smart they would forfeit. Seriously.
The Packers have found a way to outsmart anything any other defense throws at them and the defense, despite the BS stats, have found ways to outplay the opposing offense.

Case in point why the offense cannot be shut down. They are just too damn smart and good for other teams.
http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...deserves/18fa98bd-c43f-49fe-b8ae-c7f3cde4200b

It's a form of Devil's Advocate if you want to look at it that way. It's also a good way of recognizing your own weaknesses.

As I posted earlier, I don't really think there is a way to beat them, another team would have to hope they beat themselves.

OP
OP
W

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you can handle the Steelers D I think you can handle the Ravens D.

If the Jets D was at the top of it's game this year I think that is still the toughest one you could see in the SB. That D has managed to give fits to Brady and Manning. But, as people have said Rodgers has the mobility those guys don't. Rex is a sneaky mo fo though against elite QBs at times.

Really I guess the solution is to pray. Pray a lot on game day if you are playing GB. And hope that Rodgers sees a chick in the third row flash herself and he throws a pick.
what if that chick has scars?

OP
OP
W

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think what the jets did to the patriots last year in the playoffs could somewhat contain green bays offense?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way to beat 'em is to outscore them.
It's a possibility but very doubtful. Especially after today's game.
The Pack has beat every d-fence thrown at them.
How do you stop them?
You can't.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Yeah. You have to outscore them. Nobody can though. I also don't think there is a defense and coordinator who I feel can needle Aaron for a full game. I think the Jets D with some Rex Ryan tricks would be the best bet but Sanchez won't outscore Rodgers.

You guys simply have too many weapons. It is amazing. And with a mobile QB it's almost unfair. :)

PackPackPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers offense will shatter the most points scored EVER in the NFL.

This offense is simply too good, it makes the "Greatest Show on Turf" and the 2007 Patriots offenses look like a joke.

Answer is: be a ball hog and control the clock and don't let the GB offense touch the ball.

OP
OP
W

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers offense will shatter the most points scored EVER in the NFL.

This offense is simply too good, it makes the "Greatest Show on Turf" and the 2007 Patriots offenses look like a joke.

Answer is: be a ball hog and control the clock and don't let the GB offense touch the ball.
not sure if serious...

Members online

Latest posts