How should Packers address CB

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea I'm not sure what the plan is on defense. But it sure looks like Ted has way more faith in them than anyone else does. And if they decide to roll into the 2017 season with this current crop of CBs plus whatever rooks, I won't be expecting the results to be pretty.

And Don't draft Taco!

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saints still have done nothing with Butler a week after having him in. Maybe Ted is in someone's ear and will surprise us?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While you bring that up on several occasions I'm still waiting for an answer about how many players that were cut shortly before the season by other teams Thompson has signed that made an impact with the Packers. I can't think of any.
When was the last time he had 21 million in cap space going into the draft?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only a few starters are headed towards free agency in 2018. There's no need to roll over a ton of cap space from next season.
Burnett, Taylor, Adams and Linsley are all starters and if TT re-signs them will count (IMHO) over $30Mil/yr. collectively against the cap. If House performs up to what we need (#1 or #2 CB) then he's due a hefty new contract, too.

There's also some murmurs that HaHa & AR should be extended (salary increased) some time this season. The cap room could get pretty snug, next season, so I wouldn't put it past TT to roll a bit more over into '18. :(

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Also remember Cap savings if a player is cut after 2017. Unless Clay turns in a rock solid 2017, the Packers could add an additional $11M to the cap by releasing him. Cobb will be iffy, releasing him would save $9.5M. But between just those 2 players, that is over $20M that can be picked up in Cap savings. I don't foresee it happening, but if Jordy tanked, another $10M.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The incremental over their current cap would surely be less than 30m?
You're probably correct, as their current combined cap is approx. $13Mil for '17. Probably closer to $17-$20Mil additional after re-signings of those 4.

D

Deleted member 6794

When was the last time he had 21 million in cap space going into the draft?

I honestly don't know but if I remember correctly the Packers had at least $10 million in cap space entering the draft over the past several years.

That doesn't change the fact that it's extremely tough to add an impact player shortly before the season, especially considering Capers' complex scheme on defense.

Burnett, Taylor, Adams and Linsley are all starters and if TT re-signs them will count (IMHO) over $30Mil/yr. collectively against the cap. If House performs up to what we need (#1 or #2 CB) then he's due a hefty new contract, too.

There's also some murmurs that HaHa & AR should be extended (salary increased) some time this season. The cap room could get pretty snug, next season, so I wouldn't put it past TT to roll a bit more over into '18. :(

While re-signing those four players would for sure take up a large chunk of the available cap space there's a smart way to structure a contract lessening the cap hit early during a deal.

The Packers extending Rodgers' contract could actually free up some cap space for 2018 as well.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While re-signing those four players would for sure take up a large chunk of the available cap space there's a smart way to structure a contract lessening the cap hit early during a deal.
Why go through all that trouble if TT bottles the FA moves?

D

Deleted member 6794

Why go through all that trouble if TT bottles the FA moves?

Thompson signed several free agents from other teams this offseason but unfortunately didn't address the team's biggest weakness.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I honestly don't know but if I remember correctly the Packers had at least $10 million in cap space entering the draft over the past several years.

That doesn't change the fact that it's extremely tough to add an impact player shortly before the season, especially considering Capers' complex scheme on defense.

The Packers extending Rodgers' contract could actually free up some cap space for 2018 as well.
i honestly don't know either but I suspect that we've seldom had this much cap space at this time of the calendar. As stated before, a significant number of teams will be cutting players before June 1 imo. I have no idea if Thompson will have any interest in those guys or not. I do believe that he is still wanting to see more of Randall and Rollins. We saw a big difference in those guys between their rookie and second seasons. I think it's likely that both he and the coaching staff want to see how those two guys respond to their failures of last season.My biggest concern is actually whether this defense can generate a consistently good pass rush and can create some turnovers. We really need to get be able to get more three and outs and allow the offense to operate on shorter fields.

D

Deleted member 6794

i honestly don't know either but I suspect that we've seldom had this much cap space at this time of the calendar. As stated before, a significant number of teams will be cutting players before June 1 imo. I have no idea if Thompson will have any interest in those guys or not. I do believe that he is still wanting to see more of Randall and Rollins. We saw a big difference in those guys between their rookie and second seasons. I think it's likely that both he and the coaching staff want to see how those two guys respond to their failures of last season.My biggest concern is actually whether this defense can generate a consistently good pass rush and can create some turnovers. We really need to get be able to get more three and outs and allow the offense to operate on shorter fields.

I'm absolutely fine with the front office and coaching staff wanting to see how Randall and Rollins bounce back from a terrible season as well but relying on both of them to perform on a significant better level is a huge gamble.

While there will be some veterans released before the start of next season I don't expect a ton of productive players at positions of need for the Packers to be available.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm absolutely fine with the front office and coaching staff wanting to see how Randall and Rollins bounce back from a terrible season as well but relying on both of them to perform on a significant better level is a huge gamble.

While there will be some veterans released before the start of next season I don't expect a ton of productive players at positions of need for the Packers to be available.
True, however I expect that both will be better performers than they were their rookie years. Is that good enough, coupled with House and Gunter? Along with most likely a rookie and possibly Hawkins or Waters? I don't know. With all those young corners my guess is they would be better players in November than they will be in September. I have no way of knowing if there will be any help available from the other 31 teams or not. We may be able to plug one or two more holes yet somewhere because of the still large cap space available. Players will be cheaper after the draft and after June 1st.

D

Deleted member 6794

True, however I expect that both will be better performers than they were their rookie years.

In my opinion there's no reason to be convinced that Randall or Rollins will perform better than during their rookie seasons. Especially as they don't have the benefit of playing with a veteran #1 cornerback anymore.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
In my opinion there's no reason to be convinced that Randall or Rollins will perform better than during their rookie seasons. Especially as they don't have the benefit of playing with a veteran #1 cornerback anymore.
As the roster stands now, my guess is that House will be guarding opponents #1 receiver. Randall, Rollins and Gunter will fight it out for the #2. It is March 30, not August 31. Lots of stuff can happen in 5 months.

D

Deleted member 6794

As the roster stands now, my guess is that House will be guarding opponents #1 receiver. Randall, Rollins and Gunter will fight it out for the #2. It is March 30, not August 31. Lots of stuff can happen in 5 months.

While I agree that currently it seems House will be covering opposing top receivers next season there's no reason to feel comfortable about that at all though.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no reason to trade two players at the weakest position on the roster at all.

A bad CB is better than no CB is a weak argument. I was talking about a trade for a better CB with another team with Randall + #1 pick going the other way.

D

Deleted member 6794

A bad CB is better than no CB is a weak argument. I was talking about a trade for a better CB with another team with Randall + #1 pick going the other way.

Unfortunately the Packers don't have enough depth at the position to trade away one of their top four cornerbacks though let alone two of them.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Packers don't have enough depth at the position to trade away one of their top four cornerbacks though let alone two of them.

Honestly, I don't consider Rollins, Randall and Gunter as depth. They just make up the numbers in the squad. I'd rather have 1 good CB rather than 2 mediocre CBs just for depth.

D

Deleted member 6794

Honestly, I don't consider Rollins, Randall and Gunter as depth. They just make up the numbers in the squad. I'd rather have 1 good CB rather than 2 mediocre CBs just for depth.

I agree the Packers desperately need to add a #1 cornerback but that doesn't change the fact depth is important as well.

The team getting rid of Randall, Rollins and Gunter would leave them with only House, Goodson, Dorleant, Hawkins and Waters on the roster. That's for sure not good enough.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there some sort of surplus the GM's get by saving cap money? Because TT acts like this is his money coming from his paycheck.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there some sort of surplus the GM's get by saving cap money? Because TT acts like this is his money coming from his paycheck.
More spending to come in the buyers market imo. Don't jump off the cliff Rodell.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree the Packers desperately need to add a #1 cornerback but that doesn't change the fact depth is important as well.

The team getting rid of Randall, Rollins and Gunter would leave them with only House, Goodson, Dorleant, Hawkins and Waters on the roster. That's for sure not good enough.

You missed my point.

Current = Randall, Rollins, Gunter + Others

Trade Rollins + #1 pick for a better CB (not sure who specifically though)

Future = Better CB, Rollins, Gunter + Others

See, no change in depth chart and we have a better CB to boot.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect another DB or 3 to be added thru any means for competition, but what is going to help this team most is consistent pass rush. I know we had sacks last year, but largely, opposing qb's had great pockets to pass from much of the time. A well timed sack is helpful, no doubt. But consistently collapsing the pocket helps more throughout the game. You squeeze the qb and get some hits and you get in his head. It changes everything.
We Agree??? Good pass rush hides problems behind it and where we're picking I think we have a better chance of getting a better rusher than a DB. We could always, (pause for effect), trade up!