How should Packers address CB

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the Packers making the playoffs for eight consecutive seasons and assistants not being allowed to interview with other teams has factored into most of the team's assistants not being highly sought after.

Perhaps, but in seeing a couple of articles in the last couple of years which rated assistants, and gave comments on which were considered the highest rated and most likely to end up as head coaches (rated by other personnel people around the league), I don't remember any Packer assistants mentioned highly.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you truly expect all of the cornerbacks you mentioned to progress significantly or is it just hope??? Remember the numbers I posted a while ago.

In addition you continue to ignore that it's impossible for the pass rush to put any pressure on opposing quarterbacks with the CBs struggling to stay within five yards of receivers for at least two seconds.
It would be unrealistic to expect all 8 of them to progress significantly (which has a very subjective definition). They will have to compete and those that meet the coaches approval will make the roster and win their role with the team. I'm really not going to put any stock into your numbers or your assumption that they will struggle to cover receivers because they had problems last year. I'm only interested in the coaches making the CB's better and being able to consistently generate a good pash rush.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm really not going to put any stock into your numbers or your assumption that they will struggle to cover receivers because they had problems last year. I'm only interested in the coaches making the CB's better and being able to consistently generate a good pash rush.

Whatever, why take a look at past performance when evaluating a player or position group when there's hope to build confidence on. :rolleyes:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Whatever, why take a look at past performance when evaluating a player or position group when there's hope to build confidence on. :rolleyes:
The defensive backs of the past seemed to me to show improvement and skill progression when they weren't riddled with injury. Guys like Shields, Williams, Hayward, Burnett, Dix, House, Brice, Hyde and Gunter come to mind. It remains to be seen whether Randall, Rollins, Goodson and Hawkins will follow that path of development or whether they can't cut it. Only the coaches really know where these guys are. The rest of us GM wannabe's are just filling out a fantasy roster based on very incomplete information.

D

Deleted member 6794

The defensive backs of the past seemed to me to show improvement and skill progression when they weren't riddled with injury. Guys like Shields, Williams, Hayward, Burnett, Dix, House, Brice, Hyde and Gunter come to mind. It remains to be seen whether Randall, Rollins, Goodson and Hawkins will follow that path of development or whether they can't cut it. Only the coaches really know where these guys are. The rest of us GM wannabe's are just filling out a fantasy roster based on very incomplete information.

Taking a look at the list you provided I don't agree that Gunter significantly progressed over the past two seasons and House regressed last year in Jacksonville. With Randall and Rollins having struggled mightily I have no idea why anyone feels comfortable about the cornerback position entering the draft. While injuries might have factored into all of them not performing up to expectation you continue to ignore that none of them has played at a decent level without having the benefit of a veteran #1 cornerback on the field as well.

I agree that none of us have even close to as much information as people working for the team but that doesn't mean there's no way to recognize weaknesses on the roster. In addition I never understood that notion at all as according to it there's no reason for you or any other fan to post on a forum. I wonder why you spend a lot of time around here despite of it though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Taking a look at the list you provided I don't agree that Gunter significantly progressed over the past two seasons and House regressed last year in Jacksonville. With Randall and Rollins having struggled mightily I have no idea why anyone feels comfortable about the cornerback position entering the draft. While injuries might have factored into all of them not performing up to expectation you continue to ignore that none of them has played at a decent level without having the benefit of a veteran #1 cornerback on the field as well.

I agree that none of us have even close to as much information as people working for the team but that doesn't mean there's no way to recognize weaknesses on the roster. In addition I never understood that notion at all as according to it there's no reason for you or any other fan to post on a forum. I wonder why you spend a lot of time around here despite of it though.
Sorry to disappoint you with my presence here Capt, just providing a different perspective I guess. I think House has a future as an NFL cornerback. I also think Gunter is probably significantly better than he was in August of 15. He has physical limitations and needs to be utilized in situations where he can be successful. We didn't have that luxury last season. I am not ignoring the fact that we lost our #1 CB seven months ago. Btw, how many good #1 CB's are in the league. I doubt more than 12-16. QB's are lighting up the league. Some of these guys playing #1CB must be average or below. There are going to be guys developing into good #1 CB's this year. I don't know if one of them will be playing for us or not. Neither do you. All I know is that players and teams aren't static in nature. Even our QB struggled for 12 months and he is generally acclaimed as being top 3 at his position in the league.

That said, a consistently good pass rush would do wonders in helping out the secondary and I think we have a better chance of getting immediate help there with our first two draft picks than at CB.

Edit: I have zero idea whether Thompson's board will agree with me or not.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am not ignoring the fact that we lost our #1 CB seven months ago. Btw, how many good #1 CB's are in the league. I doubt more than 12-16. QB's are lighting up the league. Some of these guys playing #1CB must be average or below. There are going to be guys developing into good #1 CB's this year. I don't know if one of them will be playing for us or not.

You keep ignoring that Thompson hasn't addressed the need for a #1 cornerback though. While there aren't a lot if shutdown CBs in the NFL the Packers for sure had the worst player atop a team's depth chart in the entire league in Gunter.

Unfortunately I'm not convinced there's even a decent #2 CB currently on the roster let alone a player I feel comfortable about covering opposing top receivers.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That said, a consistently good pass rush would do wonders in helping out the secondary and I think we have a better chance of getting immediate help there with our first two draft picks than at CB.

I'm lead to believe that his board will not. There are a lot of value edge rushers in the 2nd and 3rd Rounds. I'm hoping Kappassagnoh is one of them that falls to us in the 2nd, there are quite a few edge rushers who I see that are future Pro Bowlers who don't get called until Day 2. In regards to CB, I do not.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Sorry to disappoint you with my presence here Capt, just providing a different perspective I guess. I think House has a future as an NFL cornerback. I also think Gunter is probably significantly better than he was in August of 15. He has physical limitations and needs to be utilized in situations where he can be successful. We didn't have that luxury last season. I am not ignoring the fact that we lost our #1 CB seven months ago. Btw, how many good #1 CB's are in the league. I doubt more than 12-16. QB's are lighting up the league. Some of these guys playing #1CB must be average or below. There are going to be guys developing into good #1 CB's this year. I don't know if one of them will be playing for us or not. Neither do you. All I know is that players and teams aren't static in nature. Even our QB struggled for 12 months and he is generally acclaimed as being top 3 at his position in the league.

I think everyone wants Randall, Rollins and the the other youngsters to succeed as I know I do. In fact I would be fine with rolling with them and developing if this wasn't "a team on the clock" to win a Super Bowl.

But to just roll the dice with these guys with so many other pieces in place just doesn't make any sense to me and it shouldn't for anyone. We should expect more. Its not like there sitting there with no cap space.

And yes they need better pass rush as well and they haven't done anything to improve that either.

We're all "hoping" for "player progression" as Thompson sits there and hoards cap space for a rainy day.

What the hell are we waiting for?