How much gas do Tauch and Cliffy have left?

dewitt60

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious that a healthy Clifton and Tausher helped clean up the line. Lang has shown some promise but overall I'm a little scared these guys might have to play on walkers. Tackle is a tough transition from college to the pros because of the speed of the game. Drafting tackles will take several years to show fruit. TT has proved that. When do we make that a priority in the free agent market?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not so sure that Cliffy can last,Tauch might...

Well they do have an entire offseason to get better ( Lang comes to mind) and who knows, a steal in the draft or does Teddy T finally open up and grab a tackle if one is available?

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Lang would make a good right tackle, although I am not sold on Colledge at left guard and can see Lang playing there as well. Regardless next year we need to draft a left tackle, 1st or second round at least. Clifton has a big contract, I think in the 6 million a year rang, so I am not sure if the Pack is going to pay him again for another season at that salary.

As for Tauscher if the price is right I can see him on the Packer team next year. With that said I feel confident that a first or second round selection for left tackle combined with Lang will be able to fill in for Clifton's absence at left tackle. It would not surprise me to see Lang start the season at left tackle next year while they break in the rookie.

With all this you can't underestimate TT, he may go into free agency and find a good veteran (Woodson comes to mind). Or TT may wait for the 3rd round and below and draft a couple of guys. As for me I don't trust TT when it come to the O-line, he seems to try to get something for nothing.

I just hope Clifton and Tauscher have enough gas in the tank to play at a high level for a deep playoff run this year. I feel good about Lang if he is needed. As for next year who knows, but their replacements should be on the team starting training camp wether that be a rookie or a veteran.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After looking at the Packer free agents next year, both Clifton and Tauscher are on that list. I can see Clifton coming back at the right price, based on what happens at training camp he still could be cut.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I keep saying year after year that there is no way TT can continue to neglect the O-line, but every year he basically does - tosses us a bone or two with a 4th or 5th round draft selection, or a Duke Preston or a Matt O'Dwyer or an Adrian Klemm - none of which cuts the mustard.

Some guys are bound and determined to make their points, and TT is no different with his real shoddy attempt at building a line. Spitz and Colledge are the only investment-type players and they're both no better than average.

Maybe 2010 is the year, but then even if he does use a 1st or 2nd, that doesn't automatically fix anything for 2010.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure wish TT had kept Jamon Meredith because the kid has been pretty solid with the Bills. But oh well, let's see I'm worried about getting a Tackle in the FA. Why? Because Clifton and Tauscher are the only good ones that are going to be available. Other than that I think Tauscher will stay for one more year, his salary is a little bit over a million so the price isn't that hefty. Lang or the OT we get in the draft will replace Clifton.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish I shared your confidence.:eek:hmy:

Starting a rookie LT isn't such a bad thing. Plenty of first round OT's have had success with their teams: Jake Long, Joe Thomas, Ryan Clady, Michael Oher. I'm pretty sure we can get a stud like those but it'll take a lot of luck.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starting a rookie LT isn't such a bad thing. Plenty of first round OT's have had success with their teams: Jake Long, Joe Thomas, Ryan Clady, Michael Oher. I'm pretty sure we can get a stud like those but it'll take a lot of luck.

You say "pretty sure", then follow it immediately with "luck". :eek:hmy:

I can tell you that TT has tried (to what extent is not my point) for 5 years to find an NFL starting-capable left/right tackle and has failed miserably. As a result, I have absolutely no confidence in his ability to find a replacement LT/RT soon. The offense will go however Clifton/Tauscher go - and that's really a shame, isn't it???

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I can tell you that TT has tried (to what extent is not my point) for 5 years to find an NFL starting-capable left/right tackle and has failed miserably. As a result, I have absolutely no confidence in his ability to find a replacement LT/RT soon. The offense will go however Clifton/Tauscher go - and that's really a shame, isn't it???

TT has tried for 5 years... in the later rounds. The thing that people critcize him for is not trying to snag a lineman in the first round which my point was being that most of them have been pretty solid. So what I'm suggesting is that TT shouldn't ignore a first round O-lineman this time around.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has tried for 5 years... in the later rounds. The thing that people critcize him for is not trying to snag a lineman in the first round which my point was being that most of them have been pretty solid. So what I'm suggesting is that TT shouldn't ignore a first round O-lineman this time around.

He used two seconds on Colledge and Spitz, right? They are average offensive lineman, and those were fairly high investments.

I think TT believes an NFL team can "get by" with little investment in the O-line. His tenure suggests that is correct every other year, where his teams lose, then win, then lose, etc.

What surprises me the most is that this offense goes stratospheric with better offensive lineman, yet TT doesn't seem to be interested. Sure, solid O-lineman don't grow on trees and are expensive, but they can be found.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He used two seconds on Colledge and Spitz, right? They are average offensive lineman, and those were fairly high investments.

I think TT believes an NFL team can "get by" with little investment in the O-line. His tenure suggests that is correct every other year, where his teams lose, then win, then lose, etc.

What surprises me the most is that this offense goes stratospheric with better offensive lineman, yet TT doesn't seem to be interested. Sure, solid O-lineman don't grow on trees and are expensive, but they can be found.

So you are suggesting that TT continues his long lasting trend of NEVER using a high pick on an O-lineman. So I believe that when he surprised everyone after trading up to get Clay Matthews you knew all about it. All I'm saying is that TT will learn his lesson much like he did last season, that when you keep trading down to get subpar talent it doesn't always pay off.

PackerManLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm, I must be missing something. Because it seems to me Tj. Lang looks very promising at tackle. The time he went against Jared Allen he had him one on one mostly the whole game. Yess tt has made bad moves but he has made awsome moves also.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two words: Ron Wolf. Tony Mandarich.

TT has failed so far to bring in great olinemen. Sitton, Spitz and Colledge are good players, when working in a solid OL. They're playing very well lately, and it has a lot to do with Wells adjusting the protections and Tauscher and Clifton manhandling the ends.

However, he has assembled a very talented team. One capable of winning the championship.

And I don't think anybody right now can say this OL is bad, because it has been playing very well lately.

This coming from someone who said early this year this was possibly the worst OL in all time.

Unfortunately, it's not a strenght of our team by any means. But as I've said before, it doesn't need to be. It needs to execute it's job, not carry us. It need to not cripple us, like it had done till the SF game.

WoodyG

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is an absolutely ridiculous analysis & conclusion .......... Here are the bottom-line facts (as opposed to unsupported opinion).........

2009 - Offensive Ranking - 3rd (ppg) - 6th (ypg)
2008 - Offensive Ranking - 5th (ppg) - 8th (ypg)
2007 - Offensive Ranking - 4th (ppg) - 2nd (ypg)

In simple terms, GB has had a top-ten offense for the last three years .... This hasn't been accomplished using mirrors .......... The OL, believe it or not, has to be at the very least, sufficient, to field a top-ten offense...... Why would TT have looked for replacements for LT/RT 3,4, or 5 years ago? ....... Both Clifton & Tausch were in their prime. ............ Of course GB needs to beef up at both positions due to injury & age, just like 20-25 other NFL teams ............

Face it......... Your opinion is tainted & unsupported because of your loathing for TT ......... You apologists continue to run out of arguments ......... Eventually you'll disappear entirely. ... It can't be too soon.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an absolutely ridiculous analysis & conclusion .......... Here are the bottom-line facts (as opposed to unsupported opinion).........

In simple terms, GB has had a top-ten offense for the last three years .... This hasn't been accomplished using mirrors .......... The OL, believe it or not, has to be at the very least, sufficient, to field a top-ten offense...... Why would TT have looked for replacements for LT/RT 3,4, or 5 years ago? ....... Both Clifton & Tausch were in their prime. ............ Of course GB needs to beef up at both positions due to injury & age, just like 20-25 other NFL teams ............

Face it......... Your opinion is tainted & unsupported because of your loathing for TT ......... You apologists continue to run out of arguments ......... Eventually you'll disappear entirely. ... It can't be too soon.

In think you are giving credit to TT where he has done really nothing here to deserve it. The 2007-08 seasons he was relying on the veterans that had been around awhile. This year (2009) TT's neglect almost destroyed the team early. I guess you can give TT some credit by picking up Tauscher but any idiot at the time new something had to be done, averaging 5 plus sacks a game.

This year I would give the credit to the coaching staff, despite little help from TT, they have managed to put together a serviceable O-line. Again TT's decisions the last 3 years did little to help this O-line.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How can you possibly argue the number of sacks Rodgers has taken this season - especially when Tauscher wasn't there to fall back on? Soon Tauscher is done along with Cliffy with "what" to fall back on???

If you're satisfied with winning seasons every other year, I guess TT's current modus operandi in building the line suits you fine. Me, I strive for something much larger - the Big Dance.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you possibly argue the number of sacks Rodgers has taken this season - especially when Tauscher wasn't there to fall back on? Soon Tauscher is done along with Cliffy with "what" to fall back on???

If you're satisfied with winning seasons every other year, I guess TT's current modus operandi in building the line suits you fine. Me, I strive for something much larger - the Big Dance.

Dont you know? Woodson, Cliffy and Tauscher are going to play forever. TT will never have to pick up proven talent again. In fact, he will get a Matthews in every draft.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dont you know? Woodson, Cliffy and Tauscher are going to play forever. TT will never have to pick up proven talent again. In fact, he will get a Matthews in every draft.

Lmao u know not everyone can be like Brent and find the fountain of youth.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey packers are built to last for ever Darren sharper is also playing at high lvl.

You can accuse Sharper of a lot of things, but consistently playing at a high level is not one of them. He is a blessing and a curse all at once because he can provide false impressions that your secondary is better than it is with his gambling approach to the game. How many times have I seen him chasing down a running back or receiver only to watch them score? Too many times.

He's got more TD's with Minnesota and New Orleans in about 3 years than all of his years with Green Bay, though.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Ted Thompson isn't a bad GM, look at how he's improved the team:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGEgF6EwBNU&feature=related]YouTube - Packers New Secret Weapon[/ame]

Members online

Latest posts