How about that? Coach fired.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you really expect instant results with Doc? Let's see if things improve against Dallas tonight. I agree, that loss to Portland was bad. It was hard to watch. I still don't understand why Bud was fired tbh.
Some of that blame falls on Horst, who has systematically made changes that doesn't better the team, but weakens them in areas like defense with Lillard. It's a good way for a GM to cover his mistakes. Fire the coach. Personally, I'd much rather have the roster from last year, and someone like Nurse, or Doc at the helm this year from the start. I think they'd be sporting the best record in the NBA at this point, and considered an odds on favorite to win it all.

They would also have a draft choice or two before the next decade! :(

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
So Rivers and his staff gets to coach the Eastern All Stars since he has the best record and didn't coach the Eastern All Star team last year.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Despite losing to Utah, the Bucks played well. Having Brook Lopez out for personal reasons, and Khris Middleton sitting out the 2nd of back to backs, and Dame with a bad ankle, that limited him, they played pretty good for 3 quarters. After that, they were exhausted. This was not a loss because of lack of hustle, or poor play. It was them being bone tired.

Glad to see that Green is getting some time on the floor. He actually looks pretty good, and seems to be tenacious on defense. Last night he stepped in at the point, and did a decent job. Credit to Doc for getting him out there and into the flow. Griffin didn't seem to think he even belonged there for some reason. Fortunately, Griffin is gone.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I haven't watched in a while ... adjusting to a new coaching style? Injuries? WTH?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They actually looked like a pretty good team against Charlotte early in the game. They were playing defense. I was surprised at the lift Beverley gave them, coming off the bench. In some ways, he's better than Lillard. On the defensive side. When he was in, they were solid on defense inside and out. When Lillard was in? Same old rodeo, with 4 guys running around trying to stop 5. I'm beginning to wonder if LIllard could stop granny with a walker from driving on him, and scoring to be honest. Still, I like his offense, and that's what torques my jaws! If he put the same effort in on defense, lawzy me!

Doc was trying a lot of combinations last night. Against the Hornets you can do that. They've only won 10 games this year, and will end up as one of the top 3 for sure in getting balls in the lottery for #1. But, it showed they could play back-to-back again. It was something the Bucks did pretty well, winning the #2 games most of the time.

Poor Khris Middleton. He doesn't quite heal from one problem, then there's another one. This wasn't one of those injuries where you can say anything except it was bad luck. It's not like the type where we can see he gets injured too much. No matter how good of shape you're in, these things happen.

I'm anxious to see him back out there to be honest. With Beverley on board, it's going to create some new and interesting offensive match ups.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last night's game against Denver was the first where I saw Lillard play defense, since he came to the Bucks. He was doing his job, and it allowed the other four on the floor with him to do theirs, instead of covering his man as well as their own.

You gotta like what Beverley is bringing to the team. He's a Bobby Portis type, but also adds a lot of talk to the guys out there with him, on defense. He's already proven his value.

Players are starting to show through. Connaughton's game is getting better. Especially since he's being allowed to do more than stand in the corner hoping to take a 3. A.J. Green is beginning to show he understands the game. It's getting better. Maybe Doc can instill winning into them.

Let's hope Middleton can get back out there and be a more dynamic part of the offense. I'm certain Doc won't make him play an auxiliary role. He's too good for that.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just when I thought there was hope, they play a game like they did last night against a team that had 60% of their starting lineup gone from the sidelines. They let marginal players beat them as if they were a league doormat. To make matters worse, it happened at Fiserv.

There's nothing more that I can say. This team is going to be disbanded. Count on it. It's been tweaked to a point that the pieces no longer fit together. The stars need to be sent to places where they'll be appreciated, and the Bucks need to resume their place down near the bottom of the standings, where they can flirt with the best picks in the lottery every year, and then blow them on guys that don't even become part of starting rotations.

Until they realize that Horst is a bum when it comes to managing this whole thing, the team is going to continue to fall.

Ownership needs to start seeing empty seats without ticket sales, and a reduction on residuals like TV market, etc, to wake up, I'm afraid. They just don't seem to get the picture. They've been willing to pay luxury tax, yet have been give less from their GM and coaching staff than what they deserve, with the talent they've had available, over the last few years.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beaten by the Griz, who had their top 3 players out for the game. Two back up guards and a rotational SF put up great numbers, while the Bucks totally floundered on defense.

There is no magic potion out there for what ails them, in the way of a "buy out player." The loss of Holiday for a hired gun has proved to be a very foolish decision.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Sounds as though I haven't been missing much. I'll have to jump back on the bandwagon if they start looking like a team that isn't racing to the bottom. I hate bandwagon jumpers, yet ... here I am.

Holiday WAS my guy, I could watch that guy play all day long. I ALMOST bought a jersey with a guy's name on the back for the first time in my life. Sheesh, we had a guy who loved Milwaukee, who was very involved in the community - both he and his wife - and we trade him off. Still, my world keeps spinning...

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see that the All-Star game turned into a shooting match. 207-186 I believe. That's 393 points in a 60 minute game. Between them, they were putting up 6.55 points every minute. More than one point every second of the game. I guess both teams decided to use the "Milwaukee defense." Lillard was the MVP. That makes sense. He's proven to be the master of the olé defense. You know, just wave your cape in front of the bull and let him charge past? The game has changed considerably, and not really for the better. If all there was to it was cool buckets, it would be a different story, but there needs to be a mix of good defense to make it more exciting. It's not going to take too long before fans start watching, and seeing these guys with their circus moves, and start saying; "Seen it before. It's getting boring."

On a side note, it was great seeing Michael J. Fox at the Bafta awards last night. I accidentally caught it, but was glad I did. The man is special. He's turned a deadly disease into a campaign to find a cure for it. His foundation has raised over $2 billion to find a cure for Parkinson's disease.

But, he's special to me. A long time ago, and I do mean a long time ago, Michael and I were in a fantasy baseball league together. We had a mutual friend, who was organizing it, and through it, we became online friends. In fact, before it became public knowledge, he'd confided in me that he had developed Parkinson's. He said that it would be his last year playing, and that he was going to have to use his energy to fight it. I wished him luck, and told him I was sorry to hear about what happened.

But, it went beyond that. Over the nearly 3 years that I knew him, I found he was a genuine person who was grounded in his beliefs. A man whose fame was nothing compared to the type of person he was. I know this may sound goofy, but even though we'd never met in person, I think he was one of the nicest people I ever met. Now, remember, he's 62 years old now, and when I first met him out here, he was..... if I recall correctly because past years can sometimes be a blur...... he was in his late 20s if I recall. He'd already done the Back To The Future movies. He was by all means, a "super star" in the entertainment world. Yet, here he was, just an average Joe, playing a game on the internet, with more average Joe's.

I had tears in my eyes watching it. All I could think about is how determined he was when we talked about it, and when he finally stepped away from pretty much everything, to concentrate on his battle against this disease for himself, and everyone else who has been attacked by this horrible condition. He's a fighter. It's coming at him, but he keeps fighting back.

There's a message in all of it, to all of us. Never give up. You only lose when you quit fighting. I noticed, immediately afterwards, that those aches and pains you get when you get older just didn't seem nearly as significant as they did, minutes earlier. I still have fight of my own.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rest of the post was inspiring, but doesn't the math say 'every ten seconds'? :)
Yes. It does boil down to over a point every ten seconds. Totally unbelievable. Lillard's half court 3, and his admission he was out to score points no matter what, to try to win the MVP pretty much told the story of his game. He can score 40, but will give up 50 or more by not closing out on guys trying to drive the lane. He's a spectator out there on defense.

I love watching him on offense, but as soon as the Bucks go on defense, I cringe, because I know that he's gonna be a no-show.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. It does boil down to over a point every ten seconds. Totally unbelievable. Lillard's half court 3, and his admission he was out to score points no matter what, to try to win the MVP pretty much told the story of his game. He can score 40, but will give up 50 or more by not closing out on guys trying to drive the lane. He's a spectator out there on defense.

I love watching him on offense, but as soon as the Bucks go on defense, I cringe, because I know that he's gonna be a no-show.
Lillard had quite a weekend in Indy for the All-Star events this past weekend.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lillard had quite a weekend in Indy for the All-Star events this past weekend.
I think he was kind of looking at it as being his last hurrah at the game. Something tells me he could walk after next season. His contract expires, and for certain, he will leave Milwaukee. I don't think he wants to be there. The only thing holding him is making over $48 mill a year, through next year.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he was kind of looking at it as being his last hurrah at the game. Something tells me he could walk after next season. His contract expires, and for certain, he will leave Milwaukee. I don't think he wants to be there. The only thing holding him is making over $48 mill a year, through next year.
He always comes across so impassive so it is hard to know how he feels about anything.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I would guess he's looking to "get his" this season, looking forward to a big contract...more star status...anything besides getting a ring. Just guessing, I don't know the man. Never judge a man by what he says, but, by what he does.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally embarrassing loss to the Lakers in Milwaukee last night. They played like the forgot what the game was late in the 4th quarter, to the end. Poor clock management, stupid shot choices by Dame, and just plain pathetic. Out in the second round in the playoffs. They don't deserve better. This team has been destroyed by the idiocy of a GM who hasn't got a clue as to how to team build.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Totally embarrassing loss to the Lakers in Milwaukee last night. They played like the forgot what the game was late in the 4th quarter, to the end. Poor clock management, stupid shot choices by Dame, and just plain pathetic. Out in the second round in the playoffs. They don't deserve better. This team has been destroyed by the idiocy of a GM who hasn't got a clue as to how to team build.
Didn't watch the game, but only scoring 13 points in the 4th Q? Wow! The few games I have watched this year have left me more than frustrated with the Bucks. They can have a 20 point lead one minute, I flip the channels for a bit and suddenly the lead is 2.

I get the night to night inconsistencies, its a damn long season. However, the in-game inconsistencies? That's on coaching, as well as the players. Sometimes I get the impression that the Bucks think they are a lot better than they actually are and coast through periods of the game. Someone needs to light a fire under their collective backsides and it doesn't seem to be Doc that can do it.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't watch the game, but only scoring 13 points in the 4th Q? Wow! The few games I have Sometimes I get the impression that the Bucks think they are a lot better than they actually are and coast through periods of the game. Someone needs to light a fire under their collective backsides and it doesn't seem to be Doc that can do it.
I remember last fall seeing articles like "5 Reasons The Bucks WILL Win the Championshp This Season", and "Who Has The Best Chance to Beat Milwaukee This Year", and even "How Can The Bucks Possibly Not Win The Championship".

The longer the season went on, the more I wondered if the Bucks spent too much time reading those articles.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I remember last fall seeing articles like "5 Reasons The Bucks WILL Win the Championshp This Season", and "Who Has The Best Chance to Beat Milwaukee This Year", and even "How Can The Bucks Possibly Not Win The Championship".

The longer the season went on, the more I wondered if the Bucks spent too much time reading those articles.
I don't follow basketball all that close, but are the other teams this hot and cold all season? I stopped going to regular season Bucks games, since when I did, they always seemed to be resting key players and it felt like "a day off" for them in the way that they all played. Imagine paying $150+ to go see the Packers play a game in the middle of the season and that is a game that they have decided to rest Love, and a few of the other key starters.

Anyway, seems like the Bucks feel like they can "turn on the switch" and play at a high level whenever they want. Maybe that is the case, but a dangerous approach to the playoffs, when the other team has been doing that all season.

One positive note from this season, I am a lot less disappointed in the way that Bud coached.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Then....I get on twitter and I see posts like this one! :eek:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bucks defy statistics like those. They will win a game 140-105, then lose the next one 120-105. That would give them a net +10, but let's face it, they're still 1-1 in the won/lost column.

Reality is, they're super good against weak teams and fold against good teams, even blowing leads to them on a regular basis.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They can pack this season in. Beaten by one of the worst teams in the NBA. Had to stage a furious comeback after falling behind by 15, to make it look respectable.

This team is an early out in the playoffs. They might make it to round 2. Horst has to go, and the new GM may as well clean house, because this team's heart was gutted when they traded Holiday. Lillard may be a super star player, but he sure isn't a team leader, who can be counted on to lead a team to wins. If he had half the heart of guys like Giannis, Portis, Khris, Pat, Crowder, Lopez, Beasley, and A.J., this team would be unbeatable. Alas, he's just a great player.

It reminds me of James Harden. A great player, but he is not a team player. He plays for James Harden.

But, I'm tired of complaining. I have since before the season started, and knew where this was headed. I can't believe billionaires were stupid enough to let Horst tear up the best thing they had like he has. After they lose their final game this season, in the playoffs, I'd give him the boot before the players even get showered following the game.

Members online

Latest posts