How about that? Coach fired.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Two sneak-bys on a 4- win team just isn't cutting it. A team that takes winning seriously - Doc Rivers anyone?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rivers might be a safe choice, but I'd be concerned about his track record. He ended up being unable to coach Ben Simmons, and alienated James Harden in Philly, both ending up demanding to be traded. Simmons, he didn't coach, let him do what he wanted, and Harden wasn't happy about that decision or the fact that he was ignored when he made suggestions to correct the problems.

Rivers has left behind a lot of broken teams, after players decided they just couldn't stand him.

We have that potential in the making with Giannis, and Dame. We can add Middleton and Lopez to that mix. All four could end up being alienated, and end up wanting out.

McMillan or Stotts were much better choices in my opinion.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Rivers might be a safe choice, but I'd be concerned about his track record. He ended up being unable to coach Ben Simmons, and alienated James Harden in Philly, both ending up demanding to be traded. Simmons, he didn't coach, let him do what he wanted, and Harden wasn't happy about that decision or the fact that he was ignored when he made suggestions to correct the problems.

Rivers has left behind a lot of broken teams, after players decided they just couldn't stand him.

We have that potential in the making with Giannis, and Dame. We can add Middleton and Lopez to that mix. All four could end up being alienated, and end up wanting out.

McMillan or Stotts were much better choices in my opinion.
Agree with you. I am not a big fan of Doc being the Bucks next HC. Let's hope he doesn't further divide the Bucks players.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I read somewhere that Rivers was already something of a consultant to the Bucks? Bet that made wazzizname real comfortable.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I read somewhere that Rivers was already something of a consultant to the Bucks? Bet that made wazzizname real comfortable.
Bucks hired Doc Rivers but still have Mike Budenholzer AND Adrian Griffin on their payroll. :rolleyes:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think Rivers is the right choice, but to Horst, it probably looks like the safest choice. It will come back and haunt him I believe.
I wasn't happy with some of Bud's game coaching, but at the end of the day, with Bud the team seemed prepared and happy. Some times you don't mess with a good thing.

Doc Rivers is a total wild card, but Griffin was burning so many bridges that you could see the players weren't even buying his coaching. Maybe Rivers was their best option to "save" the season. If he does well, they keep him, otherwise, they have the whole offseason to find someone else.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest, I think they could leave Joe Prunty in charge of the team and he'd do a good job for the rest of the year. The players respect, and listen to him. I think he could get them on track, with the help of guys like Vin Baker, so they could still make a run at it this year.

To be honest, I think he'd be a better leader than Rivers. He knows what he's got, and he knows how it should have been utilized from the start. He's in the same school of coaching that Stotts is.

ADDED NOTE: If you watched the game last night, the players went out and responded exactly like Prunty asked them too. He also has a different concept in the rotation. He is also trying to get more playing time for guys like Beauchamp, who he's had assigned to the G-League so he doesn't get stale on the bench, while the rotation is being rounded out.

I like his style to be honest. I'm not anointing him for a long term contract, but at the end of this year, he just might prove that he's the right guy going forward.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Rivers is building his staff, as he should. I like to hear that Doc isn't just being inserted as a HC and trying to make things work "as is". Something has been off with the Bucks all season and the more I read, the more I think the now fired coach had a lot to do with the dysfunction.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, last night they laid an egg against Cleveland. As good as Lillard is on offense, he's that weak on defense. Once again, the other guys on the court with him were trying to handle that extra guy, who'd get positions for open looks. I don't believe for a heartbeat that Rivers is going to make Lillard "toe-the-line," and play defense like he should. I don't think anyone can.

I also am beginning to doubt the chemistry between Lillard and Giannis. Both like to be "the show." Only room for one huge ego on a team. Giannis is playing his heart out, but it's a personal game to him at this point, not a team game.

To be honest, all that's happened is on Horst. He's the one who kept making trades that have boomeranged, and cost us picks.

I'll be more than pleasantly surprised if the Bucks go far in the playoffs.

The off season is going to be horrible. We can expect a lot of names that should be staying sent packing. I hate that!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The NBA season is way too long to grab my attention until about the last month and then the playoffs. Not to mention that only a smattering of games are available to watch on YouTubeTV. Pretty much the same with the Brewers Season.

The few times I have watched the Bucks this season, I haven't been impressed with the way they play defense, nor really all that much with Lillard. I didn't realize the guy was either a hot or cold shooter and his defense is kind of pathetic. Probably was a mistake to get rid of Holliday.

Middleton isn't the player he once was and even Lopez looks iffy at times. If Rivers can't get this team to play better on defense, while Giannis and Dame keep playing hero ball, they won't last long in the playoffs.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Yeah, I've watched several games and I'm as non-plussed as you. I'm thinking the Lillard trade isn't going to work in the Bucks favor.

I remember so.eone comparing it to the Bucks acquisition of Oscar Robertson ... the final piece. But Lillard isn't about sacrificing for the overall good. That guy just won't play defense.

But hey, I was a big fan of Holliday so I'm biased admittedly. I don't see the Bucks doing much...they won't get past Indy...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't see the Bucks doing much...they won't get past Indy...
I am guessing this is why Feigin and Horst made the drastic move of firing Griffin and bringing in Rivers midseason, when the team was over a .650 winning percentage.

I think if the Bucks stay healthy, they will start playing a lot better under Doc. Not sure if it will be enough to win it all, but I think we see an attitude change with the players.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far, Doc has done nothing that will help them win. They still don't play a lick of defense, and got beaten by Portland that is pretty much a non-contender, who won't even make the playoffs. This season is not going to end well the way it looks.

This is on Horst. He needs to go. He should have been sent packing with Griffin. Now we have a situation where bringing in a new GM will mean it's someone who thinks Rivers is the answer, and he's definitely not. Rivers is there for that guaranteed contract after he gets canned.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far, Doc has done nothing that will help them win. They still don't play a lick of defense, and got beaten by Portland that is pretty much a non-contender, who won't even make the playoffs. This season is not going to end well the way it looks.

This is on Horst. He needs to go. He should have been sent packing with Griffin. Now we have a situation where bringing in a new GM will mean it's someone who thinks Rivers is the answer, and he's definitely not. Rivers is there for that guaranteed contract after he gets canned.
Did you really expect instant results with Doc? Let's see if things improve against Dallas tonight. I agree, that loss to Portland was bad. It was hard to watch. I still don't understand why Bud was fired tbh.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After a horrible 1st quarter, the Bucks started to play defense. It was a good game. They showed they could come back from massive deficits. More scoring is needed from the surrounding cast, other than Giannis and Dame.

The sooner Lopez is back, the better. He's needed under the bucket.

Rivers found some success in his rotations last night. Dame still doesn't play defense.

Let's see how they play in the next game. They can't repeat that first quarter meltdown, because you don't win too many after you fall that far behind. Granted, the Mavs were hot, and everything went in, but they were getting open shots, not contested.

Rivers did a good job of adjusting his defense after that fiasco in the 1st quarter.

Members online

Latest posts