Healthy Jennings, Newcomer Jones Should Boost Passing Game.

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Healthy Jennings, Newcomer Jones Should Boost Passing Ga

Yes

in the 1st 5 games he was great like we did not need walker

i look forward to seening him when he does not little injurys

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score

First of all, you have to keep in mind that anything you see on Packers.com is probably more than a little bit one-sided and overly optimistic when it comes to evaluating the players.

As to Jennings and Jones, one would think that Jennings would be more comfortable in the offense this season than he was last season, but we also have the sophomore jinx to contend with. As to Jones, read some pretty good things about him from the first mini-camp, but everything's a lot different once the pads come on in training camp. Time will tell as to how much production we can expect from either of them this year.

Personally, I think the success of the offense hinges much more on the play of the OL, RBs, TEs and FBs than it does on the WRs. If those areas fail to produce, no WRs in the NFL would be able to carry the load of this offense by themselves.

jessefly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i like jones a lot for some reason....ive got a feeling hes gonna be better than everyone expects

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i like jones a lot for some reason....ive got a feeling hes gonna be better than everyone expects

Something like Jennings?

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The WR battle in Training Camp is probably the position battle I'm looking forward to the most just because after Driver and Jennings, it'll be interesting to see who emerges and earns the slot and reserve rolls.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes

in the 1st 5 games he was great like we did not need walker

i look forward to seening him when he does not little injurys

Jennings vs Walker is apples and oranges. Walker can out jump just about anyone. Jennings can take a 7 yard slant and turn it into a 35 yard gain.

But yes, with those early games, I didn't miss Walker.

I definitely think with Driver and Jennings both healthy, we're going to see a much more exciting passing game, especially if we get some action from our TEs.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare. posted:" As to Jennings and Jones, one would think that Jennings would be more comfortable in the offense this season than he was last season, but we also have the sophomore jinx to contend with."

Sophmore jinx in the case of most good and great receivers in Packer history has not happened . Statistics of good & great Packer wide receivers from 1978 to the present, show this:: James Lofton, Sterling Sharpe, Antonio Freeman, Donald Driver, Robert Brooks ,Bill Schroeder. Before 1978 wide receivers like Boyd Dollar and the great Don Hutson had more yards gained from catching passes in their second year than they had in their 1st year. Here are Examples:

James Lofton in 1st year in '78 had 48 catches for 818 yards and 1979 had 54 catches for 968 yards.

Sterling Sharpe in his 1st year '88 had 55 catches for 791 yards and in '89 had 90 catches for 1,423 yards.

Antonio Freeman had in 1st yr. 1995 had 24 catches for 556 yards and 1996 had 56 catches for 933 yards.

Doanld Driver had in his 1st yr. 1999 had 3 catches for 31 yards, and in 2000 had 21 catches for 322 yards.

Only a few good or excellent Packer Wide Receivers did not do ,as well, in their second year, as they did in their first. Such as Bill Howton in 1952 (his rookie year) who caught 53 catches for 1,251 yards which still is a record for a Packer rookie WR. In his 2nd year Howton caught 25 passes for 463 yards , but still led the team in pass receiving for that year.

Max McGee in his first year 1954, caught 36 passes for 614 . But was drafted into the US Army and missed the 1955 and 1956 football season. Returned in 1957 for his second year and caught 17 passes for 273 yards.

I think chances of Greg Jenning having a sophmore jinx are very slight. but of coarse, anything is possible. Things do happen In NFL football like injuries .

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks PWT36.

I would hope that, even if Jennings' numbers are less than last year, everyone would not jump on him as being a victim of the sophmore jinx.

Things change from year to year on a team. As new players come in, the dynamics change.

We may very well run more often as the line is settled into a second year in the ZBS. (Wait -- 3 of them are sophmores!! Should we play the rookies ahead of them??)

Other teams may no longer see Jennings as a rookie from a small school and roll more of the coverage to him. That, of course, opens it up more for Driver or the TE.

Driver, God forbid, may get hurt and Jennings have to move over and run the routes over the middle and take away some of his deep routes.

I think that Greg did very well as a rookie -- even though he only had that one little dump pass that Brett set up for him in the 1st Bear game. He showed a lot by being on the field while hurt for most of the season.

The players that I would look to have a problem with the sophmore jinx are Colston for NO (Everyone knows about him now and Horn is gone -- plus teams in the NFC South go from last to first every year so this should be Tampa Bay's year) and Vince Young (who has to deal with the Madden Jinx as well)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wish they would have still had Murphy from the year before. He looked good too.
I think Jennings will shine this year, and i think Jones will be a pleasant surprise!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Green_Bay_Packers said:
I
I think Jennings will shine this year, and i think Jones will be a pleasant surprise!

Hopefully your right we need them to shine cause our passing game is lacking .

I think our passing game was lacking because we could only send 3 receivers out and had to keep 2 people back. If our OL is better this year, our passing game will be better.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Green_Bay_Packers said:
cheesey said:
I

Hopefully your right we need them to shine cause our passing game is lacking .

I think our passing game was lacking because we could only send 3 receivers out and had to keep 2 people back. If our OL is better this year, our passing game will be better.

Zombie summed it up. It's about the protection required. Not the receivers. If Brett can get the ball to Chatman, he can get the ball to anyone, they just need to be in routes and not blocking.

Our passing game will improve this year, and our younger guys will get better.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
Healthy Jennings, Newcomer Jones Should Boost Passing Game

Got that from Packers.com

do you that this will help are passing game?

I hope so, the packers had a hard time getting the ball into the end zone last year. DD will be double teamed on third and long, so someone has to step up. Jennings looked lost at the end of last season, even when returning punts. Jennings, Fergie, Jones, K-Rob, I hope someone steps up for 70-75 receptions this year.

I wish the packers would have traded up in the second round and drafted D. Jarrett. If Jarrett and Steve Smith help the panthers go from 8-8 to the playoffs, i wonder what DD and Jarrett could have done together. The panthers also have Wahle, besides jarrett, lets see who gets in the Playoffs the Panthers or the Packers.

If the Panthers and 49ers make the Playoffs, maybe TT should take some notes.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score

:twocents: With eleven WR's in camp and a ouple of those showed some flash last year already, I would think with an improved pass protection OL the Packers will have the necessary WRs to do the job and who knows one or more of the new guys might just begin to look like a diamond no one saw. With that Moss idiot not in the picture any longer, I have a positive feel.

Members online

No members online now.