Harrell's chronic condition

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the Fox NFL News sportswire:

Packers DT Justin Harrell continues to be affected by a back injury he sustained in March while lifting weights in the team's offseason workout program. Harrell had two surgeries, the latter in August that landed him on the PUP list for the first half of the season. He had returned to play in six straight games before being deactivated Sunday as the result of a chronically sore hip tied to the surgically repaired back. The status of Harrell, the team's first-round draft pick in 2007, for the remaining two games is up in the air.

A simple Google search on Harrell's back injury history tells me that TT should be ashamed for wasting the '07 1st rounder on him. Initially I liked taking a DT with the 16th pick but after learning what I have about how his back problems surfaced in high school I have grown skeptical that he will ever become effective in the NFL.

A year off or more might be in order to get completely healthy. Eight games in '07 & eight more at the most in '08 means he's earned one year's salary but collected two. That's un-earned money that should be recovered from TT's shiny new extension. :clap: :clap: :clap:

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
The Harrell Experiment has been a chronic failure from the word go. If we'd actually acquired this guy in the 3rd or even 2nd round I'd probably understand the motivation, but getting him as our first round draft pick was a colossal blunder on TT's part.

If this kid is serious about his NFL career he'll hire a personal trainer in the off season and get himself into football shape; if he returns to a life of Big Macs and reports out of shape, he needs to be cut at the first opportunity to make room for a player that actually wants to play in this league and on this team...

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just never understood drafting a guy in the first round that had a long history of injuries in his college career. He didn't even play but a few games his senior season at Tennessee. I'll be the first to say that I'm no NFL GM but it still makes me scratch my head.

gman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he is collecting more money and coasting the team a lot of cash they should cut him. Even if he's good he still may never recover from the back injury in March.

pseudocide

Cheesehead
Reaction score
c_mac said:
I just never understood drafting a guy in the first round that had a long history of injuries in his college career.

guys like Adrian Peterson? Harrell still has a chance at a career if he actually wants one, he needs a good offseason or 2 and to play behind Pickett for another season at least.

OP
OP
doughsellz

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pseudocide said:
c_mac said:
I just never understood drafting a guy in the first round that had a long history of injuries in his college career.

guys like Adrian Peterson? Harrell still has a chance at a career if he actually wants one, he needs a good offseason or 2 and to play behind Pickett for another season at least.

Assuming you're referring to the Viking & not the Bear I ask you this:

Which injury are you comparing to Harrell's? The ankle or the collarbone? Neither are as serious as a chronic back condition, at least for an NFL defensive lineman.

I agree that most injuries do fade into the past & allow players to develop into decent, somtimes great players. The NAME failed his physical with the Packers but Wolf gave him the chance he needed to succeed. That took balls & maybe TT is going to be proven right over time. After the 2nd season for the NAME many were believing the 1st-rounder for a QB to lead the league in INTs was a mistake.

The main difference is that player was playing. Harrell can't even get into the mix long enough to make any of us believers yet. Good luck Justin. You're going to need it! :yes:

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pseudocide said:
c_mac said:

I get your point, *****, but there is a drastic difference in being "injured" on a few occasions and being chronically hurt all the time.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
c_mac said:
pseudocide said:
[quote="c_mac":3bm8qtxb]I just never understood drafting a guy in the first round that had a long history of injuries in his college career.

I get your point, *****, but there is a drastic difference in being "injured" on a few occasions and being chronically hurt all the time.[/quote:3bm8qtxb]

Yea, I'll second that. Peterson's injuries were fluky kinda bullcrap in college like a broken collarbone. Harrell was constantly out of the lineup due to injuries that they could not remedy. He did perform when he was in however. But I do know his stock plummeted prior to the draft becasue of injuries and woulda/coulda/shoulda been a 3-4th rounder.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts