Harrell: Justin or Bustin?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good new article by Demovsky again on this so-far giant bust.
For Green Bay Packers' Justin Harrell, staying healthy remains the key question | greenbaypressgazette.com | Green Bay Press Gazette

To date, Harrell has been a bust on par with Jamal Reynolds, the defensive end the Packers picked 10th overall in 2001 and played in only 18 games.

And he knows it. Harrell has owned up to the fact that he hasn’t produced like he should have.

“I guess I am getting tired of (hearing) if,” Harrell said. “But it’s one of those things that’s expected. It probably won’t ever go away even if I go out and have a good season. That would help, but it’s one of those things where I’ve got to continue to work as long as I’m here as a Packer.”

Few have questioned Harrell’s ability. During his brief stints on the field, he has made an impact, shoving offensive linemen out of the way and creating room for linebackers to make plays.

“He’s big, physical, quick,” Packers defensive lineman Ryan Pickett said. “It’s just a matter of him staying healthy. Justin can play. Everybody on our team knows that if he’s healthy, the guy can play.”

There’s that if again.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pickett answered your question. Justin can play but can't stay healthy. Jamal Reynolds was lousy so I'd call him a bust. Yes, Harrell had injury problems in college but the malady he is trying to overcome presently is something that happened to him after he was drafted. Harrell is a disappointment, so far, but not a bust in the truest sense.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pickett answered your question. Justin can play but can't stay healthy. Jamal Reynolds was lousy so I'd call him a bust. Yes, Harrell had injury problems in college but the malady he is trying to overcome presently is something that happened to him after he was drafted. Harrell is a disappointment, so far, but not a bust in the truest sense.
I disagree.

I think, if you're a first round pick, and in 3 years you haven't produced anything, you're a bust.

Now, he's a bust RIGHT NOW. Reynolds could never ammount to nothing. Harrell just might shake off the title. But I don't see it.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we all agree this is his last shot to prove something?

To be honest with you I felt that time came and went last season. I still hope that Harrell can do something but I have no faith in that hope coming true. I just dont see it.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we all agree this is his last shot to prove something?
Yes, but only with us.
We would have to part ways if he gives us another NOTHING for the money.

But then someone else will give him a chance, and to be honest, I would hope he doesn't somehow toughen/durable up for them.

Remember, Mandarich was a king bust for us. But then the Colts took a look and he became a servicable starter for them.
Terrell Buckley was a bust for us, and he eventually played for many years after we said hit the road to Tbuck.
I think even Jamal Reynolds was given a look after we set him free.

Let's just all say a quick prayer, or whatever one's thing is, that Harrell can have some good fortune with his health, so we can see what TT was hoping for when he shocked the country and announced this guy as his pick.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, but only with us.
We would have to part ways if he gives us another NOTHING for the money.

But then someone else will give him a chance, and to be honest, I would hope he doesn't somehow toughen/durable up for them.

Remember, Mandarich was a king bust for us. But then the Colts took a look and he became a servicable starter for them.
Terrell Buckley was a bust for us, and he eventually played for many years after we said hit the road to Tbuck.
I think even Jamal Reynolds was given a look after we set him free.

Let's just all say a quick prayer, or whatever one's thing is, that Harrell can have some good fortune with his health, so we can see what TT was hoping for when he shocked the country and announced this guy as his pick.

There was a bust from Michigan that got us a SB :icon_cool:

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was a bust from Michigan that got us a SB :icon_cool:
Oh yeah, a free agent acquisition. Desmond Howard was his name, kids.
I thought Reggie White should have been that SB MVP by the way. Another aggressive free agent acquisition.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell is why when we drafted Raji last year I almost had a frickin' stroke. Thompson either seems to have no clue or considerably bad luck drafting linemen.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell is why when we drafted Raji last year I almost had a frickin' stroke. Thompson either seems to have no clue or considerably bad luck drafting linemen.

Here's an interesting debate topic. Do you guys think last year's draft was an indication of TT to replace his own guys? I know TT likes to replace guys from the Sherman era but when it comes to his own it becomes a real shocker. For instance I've read on multiple other forums that the Raji pick was a consolation for the Harrell bust pick and the Matthes one for AJ Hawk. Bear in mind the Packers thought about testing Hawk as a 3-4 OLB but found that he couldn't fit that part athletically. I'm not suggesting that this was the reasoning for both picks but sort of bringing up something for discussion.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's an interesting debate topic. Do you guys think last year's draft was an indication of TT to replace his own guys? I know TT likes to replace guys from the Sherman era but when it comes to his own it becomes a real shocker. For instance I've read on multiple other forums that the Raji pick was a consolation for the Harrell bust pick and the Matthes one for AJ Hawk. Bear in mind the Packers thought about testing Hawk as a 3-4 OLB but found that he couldn't fit that part athletically. I'm not suggesting that this was the reasoning for both picks but sort of bringing up something for discussion.
I love conspiracy theories, and many of them have validity to them, by the way.
But Raji was considered a pure NT for the 3-4, head & shoulders better than any others in that draft, and we had just switched to a 3-4 and they didn't know if Pickett could be the guy, plus they thought he was getting up there.

Harrell is not a NT, so I don't see that parallel there.

Here's my question to you each on Harrell. Are you:

-Optimistic Harrell might finally catch a break and stay healthy
-Cautiously optimistic
-You'd place a lot of money that he's not able to answer the bell come Opneing Week

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But Raji was considered a pure NT for the 3-4, head & shoulders better than any others in that draft, and we had just switched to a 3-4 and they didn't know if Pickett could be the guy, plus they thought he was getting up there.

-Cautiously optimistic
-You'd place a lot of money that he's not able to answer the bell come Opneing Week

Out of those three I'd choose the second, I'm more cautiously optimistic. I'm confident that he'll at least try to stay healthy but not making any guarantees. But like I said before staying healthy is not the only factor in regards to whether he stays on this team or not. The guy must fight for playing time. He can't be a simple rotation lineman, he has to prove that he's starter material. As a first round draft pick you have to do just that. Even if Harrell manages to stay healthy and play the whole season, BUT doesn't show any playmaking ability then I'm all for letting him go once FA starts.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

-Cautiously optimistic
EXACTLY! Just look at the 2008 season. Just a peak. #26 against the run. And if you watched the games, you know that's not just a stat. When teams wanted, they simply runned at us. Just like that.

We NEEDED a NT. Nobody could've predicted that the simple switch to the 3-4 would change so much about our run D (which was Capers #1 priority. You can say all you want, but his main job was to correct the run D. He did it marvelously).

And if you take into account what kind of disruptiveness Raji brings, and Pickett's age, it was a really great pick. If Raji will play to the expectations, is another issue.

Now, as far as your questions about Harrell:

In 2008, I was: -Optimistic Harrell might finally catch a break and stay healthy
In 2009, I was: -Cautiously optimistic
In 2010, I: -Would place a lot of money that he's not able to answer the bell come Opening Week.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you what makes me sick, i know hinds site is 20/20 and all but, just so happens darelle reevis was picked 2 picks ahead of justin harrel, and in the 2nd round we traded away our 2nd round pick to the jets, i know its a lot easier lookin back and the past is the past, but knowing such an opportunity was available aggravates me and makes me question ted thompson

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you what makes me sick, i know hinds site is 20/20 and all but, just so happens darelle reevis was picked 2 picks ahead of justin harrel, and in the 2nd round we traded away our 2nd round pick to the jets, i know its a lot easier lookin back and the past is the past, but knowing such an opportunity was available aggravates me and makes me question ted thompson

At the time of the draft did you know that was going to happen with Harrell?

Whats your question in regards to TT?

Its a draft, there are risks. No on can look into the future and know whats going to happen... Did you know that Revis was going to have the season he had in 09? Doubtful. He had 1 shutdown season in 3 seasons. Lets see what 2010 brings. Chances are you didnt even know his name until 2009. Your post doesnt make sense.

MelrosE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at Harrell's injury history even while playing in college. TT knew that Justin was injury-prone but decided to take a chance at it anyway. Some picks don't pan out, not saying he should've drafted him, but people need to get over it.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Raji plays a different role on the D line than Harrell was drafted for, right? I thought BJ was drafted as an eventual replacement for Pickett and to give Ryan a break during games to keep him fresh. And I doubt you can have too many good D linemen. Matthews is an OLB and Hawk is an ILB so again these guys are playing a different positions so I doubt TT drafting Matthews was an indictment against Hawk. I don't recall the Packers testing Hawk on the outside...?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Look at Harrell's injury history even while playing in college. TT knew that Justin was injury-prone but decided to take a chance at it anyway. Some picks don't pan out, not saying he should've drafted him, but people need to get over it.

Can you give us a list of the many injuries that made him miss lot of time? I only got one and that was the bicep

Sorry this is being brought up so late...but someone told me about seeing Justin recently at an ota and said he didnt look to bad

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell has had some fine May's and June's before. This is nothing new.
It's once August/September roll around that is his wall.

I want the guy to get a miracle and show us all why TT wasted such a premium pick on him, and he'd make our DL the best 3-4 DL in the NFL if he can. But I just refuse to hold my breath with this guy. He's clearly brittle. Not his fault I reckon, but he is brittle. Some guys are. Some are durable.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Harrell has had some fine May's and June's before. This is nothing new.
It's once August/September roll around that is his wall.

I want the guy to get a miracle and show us all why TT wasted such a premium pick on him, and he'd make our DL the best 3-4 DL in the NFL if he can. But I just refuse to hold my breath with this guy. He's clearly brittle. Not his fault I reckon, but he is brittle. Some guys are. Some are durable.

To clarify I agree and wanted him cut before this offseason...But the previous poster said out of college he was injury prone and I like more information as I can't find anything other then the bicep that kept him out of a lot of playing time

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
refreshing to see how I'm not alone in the Justin Harrel Complaint department

I don't think you will find to many people saying that Harrell was not a bust at this point in time. What if he stays healthy and kicks major *** this year? I personally wrote him off after last year.........so if he stays healthy and plays well I just kind of think of him as being a extra added bonus. Until I hear his name called on a consistant basis during games and throughout the season (for good reasons).......he won't have my vote of confidence.

I do remember a article just before this years draft when someone asked Mike Mc Carthy who he thinks will have a breakout year.......and his reply was Justin Harrell. Lets hope he was right.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think you will find to many people saying that Harrell was not a bust at this point in time. What if he stays healthy and kicks major *** this year? I personally wrote him off after last year.........so if he stays healthy and plays well I just kind of think of him as being a extra added bonus. Until I hear his name called on a consistant basis during games and throughout the season (for good reasons).......he won't have my vote of confidence.

I do remember a article just before this years draft when someone asked Mike Mc Carthy who he thinks will have a breakout year.......and his reply was Justin Harrell. Lets hope he was right.
Wasn't mentioned once during OTAs and Minicamp...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They'll be pushing the crap out of him during training camp to see if his back will hold up. I'm not optimistic, but if he stays healthy there's no doubt he'd help--especially in view of that dunce Jolly.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I wonder when the date is that the Packers have where they can release or trade Jolly and be off the hook for his salary this year.
If, magically and miraculously, Harrell makes it all the way thru camp and plays preseason games and looks good, then perhaps they try and deal Jolly to Cincinnati where he'd fit right in.

Members online