Hard Hypothetical but Reasonable Trade Discussion

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think every NFL fan base is currently discussing trading their overpriced, fading stars for draft compensation. The funny thing is that all of those same people would also turn up their noses at the idea of their team trading FOR such a player.

For instance, how many Packers fans would be up for trading for Adrian Peterson and his 18M$ cap hit? Probably not many. Once guys are old, past their prime, and overpriced, they're no longer trade commodities.

Mathews will account for 11.1mil (4.1 we still pay is dead cap)this year and 11.4mil in 2018.
If we could get a CB of his ability , who recently came out of favor with the team. A team that just went to the NFC Championship at that... I think I would trade a 2nd rounder, and happily pay the 22.5mil for 2 years.

Need changes the perspective... Some team out there needs a OLB as bad as we need a CB and cap space.

With Peppers likely gone unless he takes a substantial pay cut.
Perry, Datone, are the beef we need to keep around. Young 1st round tallents. Perry has earned a good payday IMO. Jones can stick around if he takes a reasonable contract that reflects his production...

Lacy is a must sign IMO. I wonder what this offense would have looked like if Lacy kept that 5 YPC average all year, and Montgomery was allowed to move around........Instead Montgomery ended the season on the sideline hurt again. From running the ball again... We need a #1 RB and let Monty be the one that takes it to the house, after Lacy softens them up.
Jared Cook. We need this guy on the team long term. I don't think anyone would argue against that... Its going to cost us some cheese though...

Micah Hyde. This guy has become pretty valuable. Unless TT plans to really get crazy signing and drafting some CBs early... He needs to keep Hyde too. Because I don't see us risking another 12 mil that Sheilds will play next year. And it is our weakest position right now.

Lang , Tretter, and Barclay. Some might say Barclay isn't worth mentioning. But he was out back up guard. Which is a spot that needs to be replaced some how...Tretter is a keeper, but I don't see him being worth much more than what Taylor got. Maybe 3 to 4 a year if you ask me honestly. I didn't see Langs ankle injury. Lang had IMO earned a strong look at another contract extension, until the big guy went down. Now, optimistically I hope he signs a cheap 1 year prove it deal. Spend some time on Pup, and come in mid-season ready to prove he is worth a final big contract extension somewhere.

Look at that list of players..... We need some cap...

Losing Mathews would allow us to keep Lacy, and Cook I bet... Because the current cap we have will get us Perry, hyde and a the rookies, and that's about it.... We let Sheilds and starks go, and all of a sudden we get to keep Tretter, and Pick up a big FA CB to fix the bleeding......
That's how im seeing it right now at least.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how much salary cap are we going to have in 2017 before we drop any players?
I was thinking 20 million for some reason...

I read in two different places that we have 35 million in cap roughly...

We couple Keep Mathews and Starks if that's true.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't know? Am I being a homer, thinking that Mathews has more value, than the league would give?

Matthews himself has "trade value" but the $15.2 M due to him in 2017 on his contract would most likely preclude any other team from trading for him.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews himself has "trade value" but the $15.2 M due to him in 2017 on his contract would most likely preclude any other team from trading for him.
We have to pay the 4.1 mil from his signing bonus. so the new team would only have to pay 11.1 in 17, and 11.4 in 18' with no dead cap in 18'...

Seems a lot more reasonable.

I think the 2 year deal is an advantage too. If they like him after 2 years then they pay him big. If he doesn't quite fit, or whatever. Then they can move on in 2 years with no penalties.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hypothetical situation…you’re TT and you know a couple things: you have arguably the best QB to play yet nothing to show besides 1 SB ring and a BUNCH of playoff appearances (nothing to scoff at)…you have to make something happen as you are on your way out and pressure is felt that may be expedited, perhaps you’ve even been told time to be aggressive.

So let’s think roster trade options, which has been discussed by some analysts…say you HAVE to trade a player which actually would garner more than a late round flyer…so no Joe Thomas or Geronimo Allison type things. No trading draft picks doesn’t count…that is an obvious way and one while rare TT has proven is willing to do at times.

So here’s my Top 3 “Possible” Trade Names:

#1 Davante Adams

Which Adams is the real deal? I’m in the boat that this year shows his ability more than last year, and expected a rebound season coming off one which he battled injuries. He’s trade value is at it’s all time highest so far, he’s young and has the potential to grow into something…right team may find him quite desirable. It seems the team has high hopes for Geronimo, and if they truly feel they can groom him into a WR that can produce it would make Adams in the right trade a viable piece to move. (solid points made for if you could garner same return while trading Cobb if forced to would make more sense)

#2 Morgan Burnett

What do we have behind him in Brice….a hard hitting but extremely raw talent. However, with Hyde perhaps on the roster and you never know about the draft Morgan Burnett could be justified as our biggest most desirably dangling piece of carrot for other teams which makes sense. Yes our DB’s were an issue this past year, our secondary was DECIMATED, Shields is most likely gone…so why not blow it apart or move Burnett for a solid CB or position ourselves in the draft for one. Again like Adams I’m a fan of Burnett but he is still young, solid player and salary is not going to scare teams away…

#3 Corey Linsley

I personally was a Linsley over Tretter guy…but let’s say if you will GB is ready to commit to Tretter as our starting Center instead….one could make the argument that Linsley in his final year of his rookie contract is a SOLID starting Center to dangle out for other teams. Again I don’t like this as it leaves the OL depleted of real talent but let’s be honest it is either Linsley or Tretter this next year and I think this is the way to maximize your returns business wise. Corey is solid, young, affordable and the team he goes to would get a crack at resigning the C of their future.

4 - Clay but his contract is a beefcake to try and trade.

The Packers aren´t in need of trading players for draft picks but should think about possibly acquiring a veteran cornerback.

Mathews is the best bet.

And although 11.1, and 11.4 mil seems like a lot. When you consider high end free agent OLB pass rushers. Its a bargain.

The way Matthews has performed lately Matthews counting $15.2 million towards the Packers cap is for sure not a bargain.

how much salary cap are we going to have in 2017 before we drop any players?
I was thinking 20 million for some reason...

I read in two different places that we have 35 million in cap roughly...

According to Over The Cap the Packers currently have $35.7 million of cap space for the 2017 season.

We have to pay the 4.1 mil from his signing bonus. so the new team would only have to pay 11.1 in 17, and 11.4 in 18' with no dead cap in 18'...

The Packers paid Matthews the signing bonus at the time he agreed to the current deal.

H

HardRightEdge

Here's an idea. If you could find a trading partner in need of a free safety with an excess of CBs (good luck), I'd look to trade Clinton-Dix at the peak of value for a corner and move Randall to free safety where he belongs.

I'd like to be able to say trade Randall for a corner, but at this point I'm not sure you could get a middling draft pick for him.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Captain, no one is saying merely look for draft picks. I think we all agree a real #1 or viable better #1 at CB is the type of target of a trade.

Hypothetically Captain let's say Cleveland calls and says what or who (combination) would you offer to have Joe Haden?

Don't like Joe Haden, insert any other viable option on the market out there.

D

Deleted member 6794

Captain, no one is saying merely look for draft picks. I think we all agree a real #1 or viable better #1 at CB is the type of target of a trade.

Hypothetically Captain let's say Cleveland calls and says what or who (combination) would you offer to have Joe Haden?

Don't like Joe Haden, insert any other viable option on the market out there.

I would be fine with the Packers giving up a single or a combination of draft picks but none of the players you mentioned.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be fine with the Packers giving up a single or a combination of draft picks but none of the players you mentioned.

I get that and I would try picks first too...but okay say they want someone? Is there anyone you see as a viable option someone would want and you would be willing to give up?

Or is everyone off table for you? I know you can think hypothetically.

D

Deleted member 6794

I get that and I would try picks first too...but okay say they want someone? Is there anyone you see as a viable option someone would want and you would be willing to give up?

Or is everyone off table for you? I know you can think hypothetically.

It depends a lot on what the Packers would acquire in return. I would be fine with giving up Cobb or Adams for a true shutdown cornerback. The team lacks talent and depth on defense therefore I wouldn't want to trade one of the few core players on the unit.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I wanted to begin thinking who just might be out there...Joe Hayden is a name I keep coming to....primarily because Cleveland is rebuilding for sure and are a few years away even in best sense to be competing. They have an extremely young DB pool after Hayden (who is only 27)...say they get a QB in draft or a trade....giving him a solid target like a Cobb or Adams might be enough to get them to consider it; obviously if we tag in a pick as well.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So I wanted to begin thinking who just might be out there...Joe Hayden is a name I keep coming to....primarily because Cleveland is rebuilding for sure and are a few years away even in best sense to be competing. They have an extremely young DB pool after Hayden (who is only 27)...say they get a QB in draft or a trade....giving him a solid target like a Cobb or Adams might be enough to get them to consider it; obviously if we tag in a pick as well.

The Browns just drafted 4 wide receivers and they already had Pryor and Hawkins. I just can't see them making a move for a veteran wide receiver other than to keep Pryor (who wants to stay).

D

Deleted member 6794

While Haden has been rumored to be available he has struggled over the past two years. PFF graded him at 33.1 (which is absolutely terrible) in 2015 and at 56.3 (87th out of 112 qualifying cornerbacks) this season. It´s possible he would bounce back playing for a contender but it might be worth considering.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Haden has been rumored to be available he has struggled over the past two years. PFF graded him at 33.1 (which is absolutely terrible) in 2015 and at 56.3 (87th out of 112 qualifying cornerbacks) this season. It´s possible he would bounce back playing for a contender but it might be worth considering.

Very true, and I had noticed that. He's one of those guys that you gotta wonder how much of an influence being on a loser of a roster...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I remember recently seeing a post with those grades on Haden and had to rethink my theory of "we need Haden" and given his contract, I can see why Cleveland was wanting to trade him. Sure, Haden could turn his recent 2 years around in Green Bay and become a shut down cover corner, but with his contract, no thanks.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/joe-haden-6516/

D

Deleted member 6794

I remember recently seeing a post with those grades on Haden and had to rethink my theory of "we need Haden" and given his contract, I can see why Cleveland was wanting to trade him. Sure, Haden could turn his recent 2 years around in Green Bay and become a shut down cover corner, but with his contract, no thanks.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/joe-haden-6516/

Agreed, I would prefer the Packers to bring in another cornerback as well.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think bringing in a veteran pass rusher makes more sense than an older CB. If the Packers go after a CB it should be a guy that can step in full time and play at a high level. Trades are difficult to pull off because GM's can get talent via free agency or the draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think bringing in a veteran pass rusher makes more sense than an older CB. If the Packers go after a CB it should be a guy that can step in full time and play at a high level. Trades are difficult to pull off because GM's can get talent via free agency or the draft.

That....is the $8 - 15M question of the off season.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  1. Ross Cockrell is a guy who played great and may be finally showing his stripes as a capable outside man...not as proven though so who knows. Might be more of a Jared Cook type guy in that he won't garner top money IMO but is an upgrade for sure...however he still needs to progress to be a true shutdown.

Dre Kirkpatrick is another FA name I think we may show interest on....just curious as I could see he be one that gets over spent on possibly. He had a heck of a year for 2016.

D

Deleted member 6794

1. Ross Cockrell is a guy who played great and may be finally showing his stripes as a capable outside man...not as proven though so who knows. Might be more of a Jared Cook type guy in that he won't garner top money IMO but is an upgrade for sure...however he still needs to progress to be a true shutdown.
Dre Kirkpatrick is another FA name I think we may show interest on....just curious as I could see he be one that gets over spent on possibly. He had a heck of a year for 2016.

Cockrell is a restricted free agent this offseason though therefore I don´t believe the Steelers will let him walk away in free agency. Here´s a link to PFF´s list of available players with 2016 grades:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pr...ocial&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

Members online

Latest posts