Hard Hypothetical but Reasonable Trade Discussion

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You honestly just said the least plausible or feasable option is the most....sorry 100% disagree. Clay as is, is anything but good trade bait...the money makes it too much.

This hypothetical is not about liking any option it is about if you get aggressive and trade a player who makes most logical sense as far as someone that would garner attention.

I don't think you read my post, friend. The first thing I said was that trading him was unlikely but that we could restructure his deal (if he were willing) or release him in the future if he were unwilling and his play didn't improve. Please don't misquote me.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Hundley. Callahan was on the active roster for a reason. There is such a need for qb's that you can probably get a 3rd rd pick at least for him maybe a late 2nd.

2. Clay. Trade him To the rams. His contract sucks but he is a face for a faceless franchise and will generate revenue and interest for a team desperately in need of it.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Linsley is a starting level Center...he'd garner more than some think if made available to the right team.

Who else you think makes more sense?

Linsley also got pushed right back into Aaron Rodgers severeal times during the Falcons game, if memory serves me correct. Not one of his better games by a long shot.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind trading Matthews, but anything less then a early 3 rounder would be a waste. I doubt anyone offers that.
How about a 4th rounder and being relieved of $15.2M in salary? I would rather have that then the Josh Sitton scenario, cut Clay and get absolutely squadoosh for him as well as see him in Purple and Gold next year.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about a 4th rounder and being relieved of $15.2M in salary? I would rather have that then the Josh Sitton scenario, cut Clay and get absolutely squadoosh for him as well as see him in Purple and Gold next year.

did you have to google 'squadoosh' to make sure you spelled it correctly, or did you actually know? i definitely had to google to verify.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't see anyone trading for an aging linebacker with a lot of wear and tear on him and his contract.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
did you have to google 'squadoosh' to make sure you spelled it correctly, or did you actually know? i definitely had to google to verify.

:roflmao:

I knew it. It's a term I believe coined by a Poker Analyst named Chad Norman.......I think the meaning of it is thinking you have a good hand, but in reality you had....."squadoosh".....or nothing.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay isn't going to be the face of any franchise anymore. he's been declining. he was injured this year for much of it, but you can just see that he's not physically dominating anyone anymore and it's been a decline in the making. He can still out hustle someone, he's all effort, but the effort with the dominance is what made him dangerous. that combination isn't there anymore, even before the injury.

I see no scenario where Clay gets traded. and if he has another season like this one, he'll be cut next year. he's not that coveted, by anyone right now. i wouldnt' give a 5th rounder for him knowing I had to take that salary with it. Not a chance. If i'm another team, and i'm feeling like taking a chance, the only chance I take is that they just cut him and I could sign him to my own contract. Not a chance in hell i'd trade for that contract and hope he somehow resurrects his career.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Hundley. Callahan was on the active roster for a reason. There is such a need for qb's that you can probably get a 3rd rd pick at least for him maybe a late 2nd.

2. Clay. Trade him To the rams. His contract sucks but he is a face for a faceless franchise and will generate revenue and interest for a team desperately in need of it.

A 3rd for Hundley??? In what world...at best you get a nibble at a 6th or 7th...not a real trade worth any saved money or expected return.

Cleveland even won't take Clay's contract destroying their rebuild...

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind trading Matthews, but anything less then a early 3 rounder would be a waste. I doubt anyone offers that.

Trade Davante? Hell no.

If we could unload his contract and get a 3rd I would do it personally.

No to Davante, k who in this hypothetical situation would you do?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh man, IF, and I do mean IF we could get a 3rd and get rid of his contract I'd do it in a second

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A 3rd for Hundley??? In what world...at best you get a nibble at a 6th or 7th...not a real trade worth any saved money or expected return.

Agreed. Anyone else notice Troy Aikman saying twice during the last 2 games. "This Hundley is a preseason phenom". I think Troy is looking at his notes from 2015.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kyra....I am putting you in a Hypothetical situation where a player trade is to be done ala being aggressive.

I personally don't like any of them...but from a business or GM position who would you say?

You are not resigning Tretter unless you are giving him starting money and committing to him over Linsley for future....instantly you know Linsley is going bye bye so trading him albeit an option we may personally hate is the agressive mindset this situation needs.

Burnett is the toughest for me to swallow but again if truly wanting to go for it in an aggressive style he is a serious trade bait and would garner the most in return...then you pray Brice continues to get better and challenge the most likely successor in Hyde.

Davante has been a roller coaster, this call would have to be discussed with Edgar and what he truly sees for his future but also how high the team feels Geronimo's ceiling is.
It doesn't make sense to trade a player who is performing great on their rookie deals still. One of the ain reasons IMO of trading someone substantial, is to free up cap space. Burnett is a possibility, but I think the way our CBs look, we should leave the top notch safety tandem alone until we have to. Mathews is the best bet.

And although 11.1, and 11.4 mil seems like a lot. When you consider high end free agent OLB pass rushers. Its a bargain. The new team gets 2 years to see if Mathews fits well enough to pay him another big contract. Which is a low risk signing in many ways. The new team also gets a potentially elite, proven player to plug into their roster. This alone warrants a draft pick in trade.
Ask yourself this... You are a team like the Bucs who are on the edge of becoming playoff caliber team. Last I heard they have like 60 mil free cap last year. But for arguments sake, you have 60mil free cap..... Do you draft and develop an unknown 2nd round OLB, who might stink? Or pay 10mil more, and get a pro-bowl caliber stud like Mathews, that gives the franchise splash, and a proven OLB.
If Im GM, Im looking to spend some of that wasted cap to fill holes, and add talent. Mathews is that guy.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB would clear 22.5 mil over the next 2 years by trading Mathews. Still have 4 mil dead cap in 2017 , which TT Never does... No dead cap in 2018 though...... so 22.5 free and clear could motivate a trade...

Im positive TT doesn't want to trade Mathews for some mid rounder. Mathews still has a lot of years left. I would say a 2nd rounder or find someone else... His salary isn't bad at all when you consider his proven history, of effectiveness, and diversity. Irvin got 4 yrs 40 mil for seattle last year. Im sure someone would sign Mathews for 22.5 for 2 years. The second round pick is the price you have to pay to get the stud off our roster... Or TT will keep him.

Or lets put it this way. I doubt TT would even consider an offer unless it was a high pick. Mathews is a stud. We can still use him. we don't need to trade.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
GB would clear 22.5 mil over the next 2 years by trading Mathews. Still have 4 mil dead cap in 2017 , which TT Never does... No dead cap in 2018 though...... so 22.5 free and clear could motivate a trade...

Im positive TT doesn't want to trade Mathews for some mid rounder. Mathews still has a lot of years left. I would say a 2nd rounder or find someone else... His salary isn't bad at all when you consider his proven history, of effectiveness, and diversity. Irvin got 4 yrs 40 mil for seattle last year. Im sure someone would sign Mathews for 22.5 for 2 years. The second round pick is the price you have to pay to get the stud off our roster... Or TT will keep him.

Or lets put it this way. I doubt TT would even consider an offer unless it was a high pick. Mathews is a stud. We can still use him. we don't need to trade.

Same savings is gained by out right cutting Matthews. At this point I hope Matthews is willing to renegotiate and stays in GB at a reduced salary. While getting any pick for him would be nice, I would forgo any draft pick and take the savings by just doing a Sitton on him and cutting him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if we had say Fackerell looking like a rookie clay and were for sure going to have Perry locked up and another OLB already on the roster as a proven rotation guy, cutting Clay may be an option. But as our roster stands, I don't see cutting him this year as an option either.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd move pro-bowler Dix before Burnett. Too much flash and not enough consistency. Montgomery also has trade value. I'd move Cobb before him though but I don't think Cobb is worth his contract to other teams than he is GB. Any value in an aging Jordy? He keeps getting broken lately. Make the future now with Adams and an ascending G'mo (Lord don't be another Boykins.)
and for an unreasonable view: Get a different GM and go into full rebuild mode. Trade Rodgers to Cleveland for their entire draft plus #1 & 2 next season. Bet they win the AFC north next year.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:roflmao:

I knew it. It's a term I believe coined by a Poker Analyst named Chad Norman.......I think the meaning of it is thinking you have a good hand, but in reality you had....."squadoosh".....or nothing.

Pay the man Shirley

Sky King

Reaction score
Try filtering your choices by working backwards:

First, classify the players that would not be tradeable because of their unparalleled value to the Packers. For this initial "wash" don't consider whether their contract is a help or a hindrance in making a trade. Strictly place them on the list because they would, in reality, be irreplaceable. I see only one: Aaron Rodgers

Next, only consider trading a player if he is in a position group that already has the depth to backfill in his absence and most importantly he would be a player that a majority of teams would consider good enough and young enough to offer either a 1st or 2nd round draft pick or an up-and-coming pro-bowl caliber type of player in return for them: I see only five possibilities, and four are probably a slight to moderate reach: David Bakhtiari, Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark and HaHa Clinton-Dix, with Bakhtiari being the most valuable of the bunch because of the position that he plays and the difficulty the Packers would have in finding a replacement.

There's no good reason to trade like for like, talent-wise, unless the traders are parting with their surplus talent and it won't leave a hole in their roster to do so. The way Spriggs got rag-dolled repeatedly near the end of this season it's clear he needs to eat a lot more spinach. He will get Rodgers killed if he is the starting LT. That makes Bakhtiari the most valuable position player after Rodgers.

All of the above except Clark are proven. However, Clark improved enough by the end of this season that his talent, performance and age combined may make him too intriguing to lose. Considering this team's recent record of whiffing on defensive linemen picked in the 1st and 2nd rounds, Clark needs to be classified as a keeper - at least for now - because his stock is definitely on the rise.

I would rate the five players named above as unlikely candidates for any trades. I'm on the fence as to whether Adams should be on the above list, but only because WR is deeper than some other position groups and not because of his performance this past season. Plus, good WRs are more plentiful in number (via the draft) than good QBs, LTs and CBs. A trading partner would probably only pay-up if the player came from a position where top-notch players are, generally, the hardest to find for any team.

Everyone else is fair game using the above filters. Whether any other teams would offer something substantial in return for any Packer player (other than those named above) is debatable. Some teams may view this guy or that guy as one of the missing piece(s) that could put them over the top. But those kind of players may be acquired in ways other than by trade. None of the rest of the Packers seem like headliners that would command high value in return. They may be more valuable to the Packers as a piece of the puzzle than they would be to other teams.

And just to single-out the CB group, if I were a GM with another team I would not offer you a ham on rye for anyone in this position group after what we witnessed this season, especially for Randall and Rollins. In all seriousness I would not offer more than a 7th rounder for either of them, and I would probably have a bad case of buyer's remorse once I had made that offer.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think every NFL fan base is currently discussing trading their overpriced, fading stars for draft compensation. The funny thing is that all of those same people would also turn up their noses at the idea of their team trading FOR such a player.

For instance, how many Packers fans would be up for trading for Adrian Peterson and his 18M$ cap hit? Probably not many. Once guys are old, past their prime, and overpriced, they're no longer trade commodities.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same savings is gained by out right cutting Matthews. At this point I hope Matthews is willing to renegotiate and stays in GB at a reduced salary. While getting any pick for him would be nice, I would forgo any draft pick and take the savings by just doing a Sitton on him and cutting him.

I don't know? Am I being a homer, thinking that Mathews has more value, than the league would give?

Im only looking at a Mathews trade because I feel we should try to get a CB who can be a plug in #1. Of all the guys making big $, with production being factored in. Dead cap and all. I settled on Mathews, Sheilds, and Starks, being cuts, opening up a clean 23mil clear space for 2017. Mathews we need to get something for, and make sure he doesn't end up in da nort.

At what price would you consider Mathews a must keep?

Last edited:

Latest posts