Hard Hypothetical but Reasonable Trade Discussion

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hypothetical situation…you’re TT and you know a couple things: you have arguably the best QB to play yet nothing to show besides 1 SB ring and a BUNCH of playoff appearances (nothing to scoff at)…you have to make something happen as you are on your way out and pressure is felt that may be expedited, perhaps you’ve even been told time to be aggressive.

So let’s think roster trade options, which has been discussed by some analysts…say you HAVE to trade a player which actually would garner more than a late round flyer…so no Joe Thomas or Geronimo Allison type things. No trading draft picks doesn’t count…that is an obvious way and one while rare TT has proven is willing to do at times.

So here’s my Top 3 “Possible” Trade Names:

#1 Davante Adams

Which Adams is the real deal? I’m in the boat that this year shows his ability more than last year, and expected a rebound season coming off one which he battled injuries. He’s trade value is at it’s all time highest so far, he’s young and has the potential to grow into something…right team may find him quite desirable. It seems the team has high hopes for Geronimo, and if they truly feel they can groom him into a WR that can produce it would make Adams in the right trade a viable piece to move. (solid points made for if you could garner same return while trading Cobb if forced to would make more sense)

#2 Morgan Burnett

What do we have behind him in Brice….a hard hitting but extremely raw talent. However, with Hyde perhaps on the roster and you never know about the draft Morgan Burnett could be justified as our biggest most desirably dangling piece of carrot for other teams which makes sense. Yes our DB’s were an issue this past year, our secondary was DECIMATED, Shields is most likely gone…so why not blow it apart or move Burnett for a solid CB or position ourselves in the draft for one. Again like Adams I’m a fan of Burnett but he is still young, solid player and salary is not going to scare teams away…

#3 Corey Linsley

I personally was a Linsley over Tretter guy…but let’s say if you will GB is ready to commit to Tretter as our starting Center instead….one could make the argument that Linsley in his final year of his rookie contract is a SOLID starting Center to dangle out for other teams. Again I don’t like this as it leaves the OL depleted of real talent but let’s be honest it is either Linsley or Tretter this next year and I think this is the way to maximize your returns business wise. Corey is solid, young, affordable and the team he goes to would get a crack at resigning the C of their future.

4 - Clay but his contract is a beefcake to try and trade.

My biggest issue with these trades is: What do the Packers stand to gain? These are exactly franchise offering trades. Nobody on this list would warrant more than a 3rd round pick. Trading Burnett (3rd round pick; defensive leader) and Adams (2nd round pick; young, developing receiver) would essentially be a "buy high, sell low" deal. Packers would get pennies on the dollar at best.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My biggest issue with these trades is: What do the Packers stand to gain? These are exactly franchise offering trades. Nobody on this list would warrant more than a 3rd round pick. Trading Burnett (3rd round pick; defensive leader) and Adams (2nd round pick; young, developing receiver) would essentially be a "buy high, sell low" deal. Packers would get pennies on the dollar at best.

With the current roster, I would prefer seeing trades that involve getting a needed player and not simply more draft choices. Of course in some situations that is impossible and you take what you can get, especially if it means dumping a player that doesn't fit in GB anymore and/or is being overpaid. Our roster is full of young developement guys, I would be fine having a few less of those in exhange for a few starters at position of need VS 10 more drafted rookies.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the current roster, I would prefer seeing trades that involve getting a needed player and not simply more draft choices. Of course in some situations that is impossible and you take what you can get, especially if it means dumping a player that doesn't fit in GB anymore and/or is being overpaid. Our roster is full of young developement guys, I would be fine having a few less of those in exhange for a few starters at position of need VS 10 more drafted rookies.

As would I, but the NFL does very little player-for-player trading. The Kiko Alonso-for-LeSean McCoy type trade is rare. For example, I don't know if a receiver-needy team (such as the Patriots or Eagles or Bucs) would trade a starting cornerback for Davante Adams.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As would I, but the NFL does very little player-for-player trading. The Kiko Alonso-for-LeSean McCoy type trade is rare. For example, I don't know if a receiver-needy team (such as the Patriots or Eagles or Bucs) would trade a starting cornerback for Davante Adams.

Right.....but that doesn't mean TT can't trade draft picks for players. I would be fine with not picking at #29 and rolling the dice on another rookie, if it meant bringing in a decent starter on defense.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right.....but that doesn't mean TT can't trade draft picks for players. I would be fine with not picking at #29 and rolling the dice on another rookie, if it meant bringing in a decent starter on defense.

I have a better chance of walking to the moon then the Packers trading a first round pick for a veteran.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Seattle would be willing to part with Richard Sherman. It's no secret he and Pete Carroll don't get alone. Seattle is desperate for o line help and needs more good receivers. I would trade Lindsey and Cobb for Sherman. Salary cap impacts would be somewhat neutral and the Packers could resign Tretter to take over at center. Both Cobb and Lindsey are young and would get likely get John Schneider interested.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be on board with trading Hundley for the right offer, but his value is all over the place. Some believe we could get an early pick, some late. The truth is none of us really know. You'd have to sell someone on the idea of him being their QB of the future. Him missing most of training camp makes that tough.

Underperforming guys like CMIII probably aren't going to be dealt. If a team isn't going to be interested in a guy at his current contract rate it's very hard to trade him.

Given the urgent need for major upgrades on the defense and the fact that we're picking very late, I'd be completely on board with trading an early pick for a high impact player on D if the fit is right, but with Thompson's history I have no reason to believe that will happen.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd be on board with trading Hundley for the right offer, but his value is all over the place. Some believe we could get an early pick, some late. The truth is none of us really know. You'd have to sell someone on the idea of him being their QB of the future. Him missing most of training camp makes that tough.

I don't believe trading Hundley would yield more than a late round pick. Therefore it doesn't make sense to make a move like that as the Packers would have to address the backup quarterback position with a day 3 selection as well.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only way you move Hundley is if someone thinks Callahan is your #2 already...even then I don't think it is worth adding a 6th or 7th round pick. Just not sensical.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Underperforming guys like CMIII probably aren't going to be dealt. If a team isn't going to be interested in a guy at his current contract rate it's very hard to trade him.

Given the urgent need for major upgrades on the defense and the fact that we're picking very late, I'd be completely on board with trading an early pick for a high impact player on D if the fit is right, but with Thompson's history I have no reason to believe that will happen.

I'd wait a bit and see if Garoppolo is traded. If so, you've got the going rate for a 2nd round choice who has won some NFL games vs a 5th round choice who's never taken a serious snap.

Sky King

Reaction score
I have a better chance of walking to the moon then the Packers trading a first round pick for a veteran.
Are you Mr. Gorsky?

On July 20, 1969, commander of the Apollo 11 Lunar Module, Neil Armstrong was the first person to set foot on the moon. His first words after stepping on the moon, “That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind”, were televised to Earth and heard by millions. But just before he re-entered the lander, he made the enigmatic remark:

“Good luck, Mr. Gorsky.” Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs. Over the years many people questioned Armstrong as to what the “Good luck Mr. Gorsky” statement meant, but Armstrong always just smiled. On July 5, 1995, in Tampa Bay, Florida, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26 year old question to Armstrong. This time he finally responded. Mr. Gorsky had died and so Neil Armstrong felt he could answer the question.

In 1938 when he was a kid in a small Midwest town, he was playing baseball with a friend in the backyard. His friend hit a fly ball, which landed in his neighbor’s yard by the bedroom windows. His neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky.

As he leaned down to pick up the ball, young Armstrong heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky. “**** sex! You want **** sex?! You’ll get **** sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!”
(Disclaimer: humorous but fictional)

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember recently seeing a post with those grades on Haden and had to rethink my theory of "we need Haden" and given his contract, I can see why Cleveland was wanting to trade him. Sure, Haden could turn his recent 2 years around in Green Bay and become a shut down cover corner, but with his contract, no thanks.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/joe-haden-6516/
Haden would account for 11.1 mil in each of 2017 and 2018. And only 10.4 in 2019... With no dead cap space if we decide to cut him.
Right? Because the signing bonus wouldn't count towards the salary. That's the Browns dead cap. So on the same note, that means the Packers could sign him. He theoretically flops, and we could drop or trade him without any dead cap.

D

Deleted member 6794

Haden would account for 11.1 mil in each of 2017 and 2018. And only 10.4 in 2019... With no dead cap space if we decide to cut him.
Right? Because the signing bonus wouldn't count towards the salary. That's the Browns dead cap. So on the same note, that means the Packers could sign him. He theoretically flops, and we could drop or trade him without any dead cap.

While it´s true the prorated portion of the signing bonus Haden received would count against the Browns cap the Packers could only release him without any dead money after the conclusion of each season as his base salary would get fully guaranteed when on the roster in week 1.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haden was about as good as Randall this year and just think, we could have given up picks and 10 million more dollars for that level of production :) If he flops, you're not trading him, who their right mind would trade for a downward trending and injured player with a 10 million+ salary. Rated one of the most disappointing players of 2016 and Ted was an idiot for not trading for him. LOL

D

Deleted member 6794

Rated one of the most disappointing players of 2016 and Ted was an idiot for not trading for him. LOL

Ted was an idiot for not upgrading the talent level at cornerback during the season. Haden was just a name tossed around in trade rumors.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haden was about as good as Randall this year and just think, we could have given up picks and 10 million more dollars for that level of production :) If he flops, you're not trading him, who their right mind would trade for a downward trending and injured player with a 10 million+ salary. Rated one of the most disappointing players of 2016 and Ted was an idiot for not trading for him. LOL
Im not saying Hayden is the perfect pick. But I wanted to point out that the price tag is closer to 11mil/yr than the 15/yr as posted.... Any big name fa CB will be that 15mil number though I bet. Giving Hayden a sort of cut rate for a big FA pick up...

I remember Hayden coming out in the draft. Thinking DAMN I wish GB could have a player like that! Now that he has regressed, he is an option. I have to believe that playing for a consistant joke of a team. A team that the season is typically over, and dreams crushed by week 6 every year. How that might effect a players motivation, concentration, love for the game....... Mojo is very important..... Some players can handle losing every year, and still be a top tier player. Some cant...

Send him to GB. Pump up that ego as the new savior of our secondary. Take RG3 out of the equasion, and add ARod. Give him a respectable DL , LBs in front of him, and a couple stud safetys behind him...... Things could change real quick IMO. Im not in the know though. So I really don't know if he is a good option or not.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if his contract can't keep him motivated, I don't want him here either. But I don't think it had as much to do with who he played for, as it has been his health. Much like his stats look just like Randall this past year, he also just ended the season with groin surgery, just like Randall had. His body isn't holding up for 2+ seasons now and his play has reflected that, according to what others are saying. I can't say i've watched a brown's game in a long time.

IMO, if you want to take a chance on a guy like that, you sign him when the Browns cut him this year.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you Mr. Gorsky?

On July 20, 1969, commander of the Apollo 11 Lunar Module, Neil Armstrong was the first person to set foot on the moon. His first words after stepping on the moon, “That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind”, were televised to Earth and heard by millions. But just before he re-entered the lander, he made the enigmatic remark:

“Good luck, Mr. Gorsky.” Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs. Over the years many people questioned Armstrong as to what the “Good luck Mr. Gorsky” statement meant, but Armstrong always just smiled. On July 5, 1995, in Tampa Bay, Florida, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26 year old question to Armstrong. This time he finally responded. Mr. Gorsky had died and so Neil Armstrong felt he could answer the question.

In 1938 when he was a kid in a small Midwest town, he was playing baseball with a friend in the backyard. His friend hit a fly ball, which landed in his neighbor’s yard by the bedroom windows. His neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky.

As he leaned down to pick up the ball, young Armstrong heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky. “**** sex! You want **** sex?! You’ll get **** sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!”

He walked on the moon... I'm trying to walk to the moon!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you Mr. Gorsky?

On July 20, 1969, ...
Yeah I was all set to debunk this until I saw the tiny type at the bottom when I hit reply. For the CTers that need proof though, the transcript of the descent and walk about on the lunar surface: http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11.step.html
109:24:12 Armstrong: Okay. I'm going to step off the LM now. (Long Pause)[Neil has his right hand on the ladder and will step down with his left foot, leaving his right foot on the footpad. As he reaches down with his foot, the 16-mm film indicates that there isn't much slack in the LEC. (See a full discussion linked here. ) In the TV record, the LEC is just barely visible against the black sky.] .........
109:24:23 Armstrong: That's one small step for (a) man; one giant leap for mankind. (Long Pause)

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts