Hard Hypothetical but Reasonable Trade Discussion

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hypothetical situation…you’re TT and you know a couple things: you have arguably the best QB to play yet nothing to show besides 1 SB ring and a BUNCH of playoff appearances (nothing to scoff at)…you have to make something happen as you are on your way out and pressure is felt that may be expedited, perhaps you’ve even been told time to be aggressive.

So let’s think roster trade options, which has been discussed by some analysts…say you HAVE to trade a player which actually would garner more than a late round flyer…so no Joe Thomas or Geronimo Allison type things. No trading draft picks doesn’t count…that is an obvious way and one while rare TT has proven is willing to do at times.

So here’s my Top 3 “Possible” Trade Names:

#1 Davante Adams

Which Adams is the real deal? I’m in the boat that this year shows his ability more than last year, and expected a rebound season coming off one which he battled injuries. He’s trade value is at it’s all time highest so far, he’s young and has the potential to grow into something…right team may find him quite desirable. It seems the team has high hopes for Geronimo, and if they truly feel they can groom him into a WR that can produce it would make Adams in the right trade a viable piece to move. (solid points made for if you could garner same return while trading Cobb if forced to would make more sense)

#2 Morgan Burnett

What do we have behind him in Brice….a hard hitting but extremely raw talent. However, with Hyde perhaps on the roster and you never know about the draft Morgan Burnett could be justified as our biggest most desirably dangling piece of carrot for other teams which makes sense. Yes our DB’s were an issue this past year, our secondary was DECIMATED, Shields is most likely gone…so why not blow it apart or move Burnett for a solid CB or position ourselves in the draft for one. Again like Adams I’m a fan of Burnett but he is still young, solid player and salary is not going to scare teams away…

#3 Corey Linsley

I personally was a Linsley over Tretter guy…but let’s say if you will GB is ready to commit to Tretter as our starting Center instead….one could make the argument that Linsley in his final year of his rookie contract is a SOLID starting Center to dangle out for other teams. Again I don’t like this as it leaves the OL depleted of real talent but let’s be honest it is either Linsley or Tretter this next year and I think this is the way to maximize your returns business wise. Corey is solid, young, affordable and the team he goes to would get a crack at resigning the C of their future.

4 - Clay but his contract is a beefcake to try and trade.

Last edited:

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I like 4, but hate 1-3...

1. Davante Adams- Our least expensive receiver...why would we get rid of young talent?
2. Morgan Burnette- Trading away arguably one of the top 3 best players on a struggling defense? Do not see the logic
3. Corey Linsey- The more realistic option is do not give tretter a massive contract based on his injury ridden year and keep them both for a low cost. Or Tretter gets offered more money elsewhere.

4. I love trading away CM3. He underperforms in playoffs consistently...

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kyra....I am putting you in a Hypothetical situation where a player trade is to be done ala being aggressive.

I personally don't like any of them...but from a business or GM position who would you say?

You are not resigning Tretter unless you are giving him starting money and committing to him over Linsley for future....instantly you know Linsley is going bye bye so trading him albeit an option we may personally hate is the agressive mindset this situation needs.

Burnett is the toughest for me to swallow but again if truly wanting to go for it in an aggressive style he is a serious trade bait and would garner the most in return...then you pray Brice continues to get better and challenge the most likely successor in Hyde.

Davante has been a roller coaster, this call would have to be discussed with Edgar and what he truly sees for his future but also how high the team feels Geronimo's ceiling is.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also....least expensive??? Adams is not that. He is cheap still for being young but cheapest WR we have. Nope.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams??? You nuts?

Aaron LOVES him. You can't put a price on that. I can't wait to see what they do together for the next 3-5 years. The others are somewhat feasible, Clay is obvious.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys are cracking me up...I am a huge Adams guy. When everyone was ******* him I was saying all along give him 2016 and he'll prove what he is....read back through old posts.

This situation is not about what I'd want to do because personally speaking I most likely do none of these (ain't trading Clay...restructure if possible but not trading).

The only one which depending on return I'd be okay with is the Linsley trade on a personal level...but all depending on return for it.

Obviously hypothetical situations are too much for some.

List your 3 then of actual players which would garner return??

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Also....least expensive??? Adams is not that. He is cheap still for being young but cheapest WR we have. Nope.
Your right...Jeff Janis (hardly sees the field) and Trevor Davis (does not see the field) are less expensive. We would only save 1 million by trading Davante. Makes no sense. If you want to trade a receiver (which I do not think is worth it) the answer is Randall Cobb. But no one wants to see that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading Adams would not be a smart move at all. Young talented receiver on the cheap right now. That leaves us with an underperforming and expensive Cobb and and Older Jordy. Rodgers isn't done this year, he has quite a bit of football left.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your right...Jeff Janis (hardly sees the field) and Trevor Davis (does not see the field) are less expensive. We would only save 1 million by trading Davante. Makes no sense. If you want to trade a receiver (which I do not think is worth it) the answer is Randall Cobb. But no one wants to see that.

Geronimo also...but I when forcing myself to think on this did think of Cobb as well....main reason why I decided not to was Monty. He no doubt is going to move more to RB and is not the heir apparent for Cobb many thought...I mean alot can change and he still could.

Like the Cobb thought though....money wise would help more but I am not sure he garners more than Adams in a trade due to Adams upside.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all keep bring up Clay...but I just don't see it as a tradeable contract for what he is these days.

Granted we could offer to pay some of his contract, but just not 100% sure. I do think if we get any serious calls about Clay they must be thought through without question.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Trade Sam Shields!! :rolleyes:

Even in a "hypothetical" situation, people have to and seem to be saying why these trades don't make sense. I guess I would ask "trade for who/what pick?" I would be open trading just about any of those guys listed for a top 5 CB. The Packers are not in rebuild mode, so I personally don't covet more draft picks, what I do covet would be starting caliber players at positions of need.....CB, OLB and DL.

As stated by most, Adams probably has the most value due to his upside and contract. He or Cobb would be two players the Packer offense could survive without.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I see a lot of Packer fans suggestion that they trade Clay Matthews. I don't understand why that would ever be an option. He's very expensive, he's turning 31 this summer, and he's not very effective any more. The very reason why fans would like to move him is the reason why no one is going to trade for him.

As has been noted, NFL trades are unrealistic. However, if they were going to try and pull one off I think it should be to add talent. The only name that really comes to mind is Joe Haden.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't argue a trade for him.

I will concede if getting a Top 10 stud CB is our plane with a trade we most likely will have to add a draft pick with any of these options.

Truth be told there are a couple FA CBs hitting the market (but that is another discussion) that perhaps we could target and trades would be more about freeing up money than return on them (obviously would still get something , draft picks most likely)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I wouldn't argue a trade for him.

I will concede if getting a Top 10 stud CB is our plane with a trade we most likely will have to add a draft pick with any of these options.

Truth be told there are a couple FA CBs hitting the market (but that is another discussion) that perhaps we could target and trades would be more about freeing up money than return on them (obviously would still get something , draft picks most likely)

My guess is that the Browns are only going to be interested in draft picks, or very young players. Anyone past their ~4th year in the league likely won't fit into their long term plans.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No to all for various reasons. The only option that is somewhat plausible, imo, is doing something with Clay. That something would not likely be a trade, however. It would be a restructure of his current deal or releasing him, though I think that given our current OLB situation, releasing him would be unlikely to take place this year. Maybe next year if he was ineffective again.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's easy to say trade so-and-so. The question is, what would make it worth the Packers while?, And, of course, who is willing to give that up?

So, who wants to trade for Clay Matthews? Let's say you find a team that wants him and his salary, but is only willing to give you a conditional 7th-round draft-pick.....Do you jump on that?

What do you want for Davante Adams? Corey Linsley? Morgan Burnett?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that the Browns are only going to be interested in draft picks, or very young players. Anyone past their ~4th year in the league likely won't fit into their long term plans.

Adams or Cobb plus a 3.... or 2? At what point you considering?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's easy to say trade so-and-so. The question is, what would make it worth the Packers while?, And, of course, who is willing to give that up?

So, who wants to trade for Clay Matthews? Let's say you find a team that wants him and his salary, but is only willing to give you a conditional 7th-round draft-pick.....Do you jump on that?

What do you want for Davante Adams? Corey Linsley? Morgan Burnett?

Clay's contract makes him untradable for real return unless you pay some of it or doing it solely for unloading money to spend elsewhere.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think that salaries of Cobb and Clay would not look enticing to anyone. Neither do I think you could get much for Linsey. I would keep Adams. But Burnett I would trade if we could get something.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No to all for various reasons. The only option that is somewhat plausible, imo, is doing something with Clay. That something would not likely be a trade, however. It would be a restructure of his current deal or releasing him, though I think that given our current OLB situation, releasing him would be unlikely to take place this year. Maybe next year if he was ineffective again.

You honestly just said the least plausible or feasable option is the most....sorry 100% disagree. Clay as is, is anything but good trade bait...the money makes it too much.

This hypothetical is not about liking any option it is about if you get aggressive and trade a player who makes most logical sense as far as someone that would garner attention.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think that salaries of Cobb and Clay would not look enticing to anyone. Neither do I think you could get much for Linsey. I would keep Adams. But Burnett I would trade if we could get something.

Linsley is a starting level Center...he'd garner more than some think if made available to the right team.

Who else you think makes more sense?

Members online

Latest posts