Hard choices in WR

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wrong. Thielen is not on a rookie contract. Neither is Wright.

Sorry, I just looked at Theilen's years of service and assumed he was. I wasn't aware he had a new deal. They do have him locked up for the next 3 years at a very reasonable price. And I wasn't thinking of Wright as one of the good ones.

Last edited:

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Sorry, I just looked at Theilen's years of service and assumed he was. I wasn't aware he had a new deal. And I wasn't thinking of Wright as one of the good ones.
People overlook Wright. Before Diggs he was the up and coming guy. He only has 17 catches so far this year. I think 11 are first downs and 2 are TDS.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People overlook Wright. Before Diggs he was the up and coming guy. He only has 17 catches so far this year. I think 11 are first downs and 2 are TDS.

Maybe but it reminds me of what many Packers fans were saying about some of the Packers WRs in years past. I think it may be a touch of home team colored glasses we all look through sometimes.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings entire WR core cap space for 2018 is $12.8 million. ;)
Wow! You must be very proud of your team. You know what? That would make a great plaque. Maybe they could hang it on the wall at the corporate offices. You know, where a trophy case would normally be.

Last edited:

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not worth the risk. He would be Datone Jones version 2

Josh Gordon is at least 2 times more talented than Datone Jones. It's an insult to put Gordon in the same sentence as Jones. They both may be underachievers to a certain extent, but JG has accomplished way more in this league than DJ. In saying all that you still may be right in the bigger picture, he may not be worth the risk but I sure as hell at this point am willing to try with the lack of talent on this team.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Josh Gordon is at least 2 times more talented than Datone Jones. It's an insult to put Gordon in the same sentence as Jones. They both may be underachievers to a certain extent, but JG has accomplished way more in this league than DJ. In saying all that you still may be right in the bigger picture, he may not be worth the risk but I sure as hell at this point am willing to try with the lack of talent on this team.
I'm not denying Gordon's talent...he has the ability to be a top-3 player in the league for many years. I just don't trust that he can mature off the field and stay clean...just like Jones. Coming to a place like Green Bay where we can all agree offers very little for leisurely activities compared to every other NFL city, I can see Gordon quickly getting bored and turning to drugs to occupy his free time.

Reaction score
This won't be popular with some but I believe it's time to move on from Jordy. I would have him re-do his contract or take the 2.3 million dollar hit to let him go freeing up 10 million in space. I just think Nelson has lost a step and some explosion as well. Most of the time he struggles to create the seperation he used too.

I would keep Cobb by default(age 27) and re-sign Adams. If they want to go the franchise tag route with Adams that would be fine.

Next I would use our 1st round pick to go after WR Courtland Sutton who Tod Mcshay has as the 21st best player in the draft. Sutton was almost the only reason SMU went 7-5 this year and has a Julio Jones type skill set coming out of college. I've watched him play a lot and he has big play explosion. Time to get AR the weapon he deserves and I believe Sutton would fit the bill.

I would also like to see what Michael Clark can do these last two games.
Brandon, it’s looking more and more like we’re picking top 14 or better. If we pick around say..13th of so draft wise, would you still at WR?
I’m not setting you up, the reason I’m asking is because there could possibly be some really stellar talent still available at other positions that are ranked better including one of the best LBs in the draft.

Darrin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams is getting too many concussions to be a long term answer.

Jordy should retire.

Cobb is too expensive for his wavering production.

Another problem is Rodgers. This nonsense about 'trusting' his receivers has to go. If Drew Brees can throw a 54 yard td to Ted Ginn, jr., then Rodgers can sure as hell learn to work with new receivers.

Also, it's funny, Janis is vilified as a bad receiver but good special teams player. Every time the guy is on the field, he produces. Whether it's as a gunner on STs or running post patterns in the Cardinal playoff loss, he produces. I'm not saying he's starting material but he's shown he can make plays. This 'trust' nonsense has to go. I don't hear Brady or Brees or Ryan having a threshold of trust that must be met by receivers. Why does Rodgers cling to this notion? Play to the talent that's available...not the talent you want.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another problem is Rodgers. This nonsense about 'trusting' his receivers has to go. If Drew Brees can throw a 54 yard td to Ted Ginn, jr., then Rodgers can sure as hell learn to work with new receivers.

Also, it's funny, Janis is vilified as a bad receiver but good special teams player. Every time the guy is on the field, he produces. Whether it's as a gunner on STs or running post patterns in the Cardinal playoff loss, he produces. I'm not saying he's starting material but he's shown he can make plays. This 'trust' nonsense has to go. I don't hear Brady or Brees or Ryan having a threshold of trust that must be met by receivers. Why does Rodgers cling to this notion? Play to the talent that's available...not the talent you want.
And this is exactly the type of attitude McCarthy has allowed (or instilled) with the team.

D

Deleted member 6794

I truly believe that way too much is made out of Rodgers having to trust his receivers. It's common around the league that WRs not fully grasping the playbook won't receive a lot of snaps.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Brandon, it’s looking more and more like we’re picking top 14 or better. If we pick around say..13th of so draft wise, would you still at WR?
I’m not setting you up, the reason I’m asking is because there could possibly be some really stellar talent still available at other positions that are ranked better including one of the best LBs in the draft.

It depends what WR they get. Courtland Sutton has mid 1st grade so he Is right in our wheelhouse. I want Sutton Bradley Chubb will be off the board.

If we can't get Sutton then I'm all in on Wilkins. Like his versatility and he has been a joy to watch. I'm sick and tired of 3-4 NASCAR package

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Smith would be a nice pick too. A LB we finally deserve.

I still like Sutton though at WR with 1st pick but wouldn't be mad if they took Smith or Wilkins.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Haha what ? If TT can get Josh Gordon he should. That dude is a top 5 receiver. You got Julio jones, Antonio Bryant and then probably Josh Gordon.
Not sure who that Antonio Bryant fella is, but I know a guy named Antonio Brown that's pretty good. ;)

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

I like him in the 3rd in my way to early mock but once again loved watching him play this season.

Darrin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I truly believe that way too much is made out of Rodgers having to trust his receivers. It's common around the league that WRs not fully grasping the playbook won't receive a lot of snaps.
Then it is incumbent on the coach to get what you can from the talent that is available.
Janis had one catch this year. Again, I'm not implying that Janis is anything special. But he's fast, a big body and he has a track record of production. I get it, Janis will never master route running to the extent that back shoulder throws and sideline highlights will be his 'thing', but he can stretch the field. Jordy can't do that. Cobb doesn't do that. The punt returner is not the answer.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then it is incumbent on the coach to get what you can from the talent that is available.
Janis had one catch this year. Again, I'm not implying that Janis is anything special. But he's fast, a big body and he has a track record of production. I get it, Janis will never master route running to the extent that back shoulder throws and sideline highlights will be his 'thing', but he can stretch the field. Jordy can't do that. Cobb doesn't do that. The punt returner is not the answer.
Stretching the field wasn't the problem. Jordy was open deep plenty of times. Cobb was open down the field, Adams was open down the field, Davis was open down the field. Our problem was having a QB get them the ball when they were.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though I want a big fast field stretcher.......here is my homer guy, a kid my son played h.s. with. I think he will be 3rd or 4th rounder, a stud.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts