Hard choices in WR

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davante Adams has 885yds and 10 TDs over 14 games ($1.2m Salary Cap)
Jordy Nelson has471yds and 6 TDs over 14 games ($12.6m Salary Cap)
Cobb has 586yds but only 3 TDs over 13 games. ($11.5m Salary Cap)

Davante has earned a big contract and has for all intents and purposes overtaken Jordy as our #1 WR.

Contract of Cobb and Jordy will expire in 2019.

Can we afford to keep 3 highly paid WRs?

How will you handle this?

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No firm thoughts, but they could keep all three pretty easily.

1) Davante is going to get paid.

2) Re-sign Jordy to a 2-3 year extension for approximately 5MM per year. Spread that 12MM 2018 cap hit out over those extra years. He becomes your no. 2 and slot man. He's slowing down, but he's savvy and could be used as a pseudo TE on seam routes and the like to move the chains.

3) Cobb enters a prove-it year. If he can gain yards and do well with a changed role (Jordy taking a lot of slot reps), re-sign him. If not, let him go at the end of the contract.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
This won't be popular with some but I believe it's time to move on from Jordy. I would have him re-do his contract or take the 2.3 million dollar hit to let him go freeing up 10 million in space. I just think Nelson has lost a step and some explosion as well. Most of the time he struggles to create the seperation he used too.

I would keep Cobb by default(age 27) and re-sign Adams. If they want to go the franchise tag route with Adams that would be fine.

Next I would use our 1st round pick to go after WR Courtland Sutton who Tod Mcshay has as the 21st best player in the draft. Sutton was almost the only reason SMU went 7-5 this year and has a Julio Jones type skill set coming out of college. I've watched him play a lot and he has big play explosion. Time to get AR the weapon he deserves and I believe Sutton would fit the bill.

I would also like to see what Michael Clark can do these last two games.

Last edited:

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy discussed retiring coming into this year. He said 2-4 years so 2018 might be his last season. Father time has caught up to him and I'd consider getting rid of him after this year.

It sucks for Davante because of the gutless cheap shots he received but his value has probably slightly gone down due to his 2 concussions. I say sign him to 4 year extension just because he looks like the real deal.

The Cobb from 2014 is dead. We've been waiting for the last 3 years, and we will get in 2018 what we've seen the last 3 years. About 4 good games per season and disappears a good amount of games due to injury or can't get open. Neither him or Jordy are worth 11 mil but because they do have some guaranteed money and they are nice guys gives them a good chance they'll stay.

I like Geronimo as about a #4 and I'd keep him. Still needs to work on communication/the playbook but I like him.

Janis is more like a Jarrett Bush guy this point in his career, only used for special teams. Never understood the hype with him, his upside was a Bill Schroeder type of player. I could care less if he comes back.

I think Trevor Davis is under contract still for next year so I guess you can keep him as an emergency receiver and the main return guy.

I'm not going to be the annoying draft guy to tell the Packers to draft this specific guy at this specific spot, but what about Sammy Watkins to go with Davante? People wouldn't shut up about this guy going into that draft. He's played with a few average quarterbacks but I think he could put up crazy numbers with Rodgers. The reason against it is he's almost to much like Davante. We do have other needs if we do hang on to Jordy/Cobb that we could go after like giving Sherman/Watt (if he wasn't a Houston hero I think he'd be gone for sure) a 3 year deal.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Restructure Jordy and Cobb, sign Davante. Boom.
I agree with this. But I would really like to see us get a real slot receiver. Smallish and very quick with very good hands. It does not look to me that
Davis can be that guy.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think with Ty and Aaron Jones catching abilities, we really should up our play design.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see our team getting a lot younger this year besides QB. I don't think our older investments are paying off or going to suddenly hit a hot streak. Not enough to matter. I expect a rather large turnover again. Whichever of Cobb or Jordy takes a pay cut stays the other goes.

Too many of our own young guys that actually should get paid coming and too many old investments that aren't producing. I expect another down year next year outside of some young guys taking the league by storm and changing that.

We're either getting rid of old weight and eating some cap space, not leaving much to sign replacements, or we keep them and they continue to not produce at a level their pay says they should.

We were primed for 2014-2015 runs and things didn't work out. Time to re-***** and move foreword. I see lots of changes

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Every 3 years a team should go after a WR in the first or second round. I think it is time for the Packers to make that decision. Have to keep Adams to make Rodgers happy, but with our latest draft picks for WR in Davis, Montgomery, and the rookies this year being underwhelming I would expect a high draft pick at this position. Would love to see Fumagelli in a later round (but that could be the Badger in me). I just think he looked a lot like Gronk did in Arizona. Sure he did not have the TD numbers, but there is a big difference between Nick Foles throwing the football and Alex Hornibrook. A big receiver in the draft like Sammie Cobbs or Jaleel Scott would give Rodgers a guy to throw up a 50/50 ball too and more importantly will give defenses a guy they have to press cover or double....Though at the same time, this should be a defensive draft.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No reason why we should pay all 3 as top tier wrs, so something has to give with Nelson and/or cobb those 2 haven’t produced, they need to restructure or it is time to move on. Team has too many needs elsewhere that to be spending an astronomical amount at the wr position.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No reason why we should pay all 3 as top tier wrs, so something has to give with Nelson and/or cobb those 2 haven’t produced, they need to restructure or it is time to move on. Team has too many needs elsewhere that to be spending an astronomical amount at the wr position.
Aaron Rodgers is the QB. That much money shouldn't need to be spent to get production out of the position.

It would be nice if they were shrewd like other teams and brought in guys like Rishard Matthews, Chris Hogan, Robert Woods, etc. Whose value is lower due to being on lesser passing attacks. As opposed to paying top dollar to players who honestly would be less productive and valuable if their career had begun elsewhere.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gosh, why didn't I think of that? When did Jordy and Cobb jump on board? :)
This could be just the homer in me, but Jordy seems like the type of guy/player that would take a pay cut. Only 1-2 seasons left in him, and he's already made his big money.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
This could be just the homer in me, but Jordy seems like the type of guy/player that would take a pay cut. Only 1-2 seasons left in him, and he's already made his big money.

Some of us thought basically the same thing about Clay Matthews last year. You gotta know when to move on from players. Just another thing the Pats's have done so well over the years.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gosh, why didn't I think of that? When did Jordy and Cobb jump on board? :)

I could see Jordy agreeing to it to stay with the Packers for a few more years but not so much Cobb. Jordy is seen much more along the lines of a Donald Driver and I think he knows what it means to finish as a Packer. Cobb is more like Greg Jennings. He doesn't have that Packer mystique if you will. He is young enough to get more money elsewhere and his career here hasn't been long enough or eventful enough to give him that reason to want to stay. In 20 years Packers fans will be bringing up Jordy Nelson in discussions about favorite Packer WRs and they will be saying "Oh yeah, Randall Cobb...I forgot about him."

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It wouldn't even necessarily have to be a cut, just a restructure to be more cap friendly.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
Cut Jordy and Cobb and sign a splash free agent WR or TE then draft one in a high round.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy to me is a Packer lifer. Davante Adams everyone thinks is a #1 so I'll go along with you guys and say he gets paid. Cobb gets cut.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
You mean like Marty B?
I'd rather they go with a youthful player like maybe Seferian-Jenkins or Sammy Watkins. I think the receiving corps really needs some youth. Sure Bennett didn't turn out, but doesn't mean we shouldn't try the FA again.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davante Adams has 885yds and 10 TDs over 14 games ($1.2m Salary Cap)
Jordy Nelson has471yds and 6 TDs over 14 games ($12.6m Salary Cap)
Cobb has 586yds but only 3 TDs over 13 games. ($11.5m Salary Cap)

Davante has earned a big contract and has for all intents and purposes overtaken Jordy as our #1 WR.

Contract of Cobb and Jordy will expire in 2019.

Can we afford to keep 3 highly paid WRs?

How will you handle this?

Keep Davante, pay him what he has earned; which is a big contract. Move Jordy into the slot, keep him in the slot. Draft a WR with elite route running skills, or offer a contract to a young upcoming WR. It would be cool to get Martavis Bryant on a one year "prove-it-deal". Bryant isn't a crisp route running WR, put he can "high point" the ball, adding a dynamic that is missing in GB. Trade Randall Cobb for a serviceable player, either defense or offense, specifically a decent offensive guard or linebacker. Keep Allison for depth purposes. I was pulling for him until that Carolina game. Janis is a great special teamer, as well as Davis; keep them on cheap deals.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they keep all 3 for 2018 and see how things shake out for cobb and Nelson going forward in 2019. I think TT needs to upgrade the rest of the receiver group. Janis is just a special teamer. And he could stick around after 2018 ala Jarret bush. But I don't think Geronimo Allison or Trevor Davis really offer anything as receivers. Davis is an ok returner but makes far too many mental mistakes that will eventually cost the team a victory. Allison is just a guy he's ok but if you're building a football team you wanna have ascending young receivers ala Cobb, Nelson, and adams. All were drafted when the position group was strong and worked there way down the depth chart to the number 1 slot. I think TT needs to draft 2 such players in this draft to take 2 of the 3, janis, Allison and davis' roster spots. Antonio Callaway is a guy we is far more explosive as a returner than Davis and would also offer way more as a receiver from scrimmage and could likely be had at the end of the 3rd round due to off the field issues. The other guy I like is equanameous St brown hes a possible 2nd round target for TT and next in line in the TT 2nd round receiver legacy. Also I think Michael Clark has a future in Green Bay look for him to stick on the 53 in 2018. So I think the group consists of adams, nelson, and Cobb as the top 3. With Clark the 2 draft picks and either Davis or Janis depending on who offers more value on special teams. I was hoping they'd upgrade from Allison this year I'm certain they will in 2018 with his lackadasical fumble against Carolina sealing his fate.

Latest posts