1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Grew up in Green Bay

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jim Lite, Nov 19, 2017.

Where was the 1956 East-West high school football game played?

1. Old City Stadium (at East High)

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. West High Stadium

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. New City Staduim (now Lambeau Field)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Not sure

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Jim Lite

Jim Lite Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    My earliest memories of the Packers date from the time they played at old City Stadium, which was also the home field of East High. The Packers stunk back then. Gene Ronzani was coach. QB was a guy named Tobin Rote. My grandpa would listen to the game (no TV back then), and there'd come a point where he'd snap off the radio, in disgust. As kids, we had no trouble sneaking into the games; security would mostly look the other way.

Went on active Navy duty in 1957 (graduated high school in June). First time I saw the Pack play at what's now known as Lambeau Field was on TV, on board ship in the San Diego Harbor. Having played in the West High Band, I remember marching on the Sacred Turf during halftime of the annual East-West game. But that would have been in November, 1956--a year before Lambeau is said to have officially opened. Admittedly, my memory isn't what it used to be (never was). So does anyone know--for sure--what year the first East-West game was played at Lambeau?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  2. Djepacker

Djepacker Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    My mom went to East High and I know it was there because it was in her year books.