Grew up in Green Bay

Where was the 1956 East-West high school football game played?

• Old City Stadium (at East High)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • West High Stadium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New City Staduim (now Lambeau Field)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Jim Lite

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My earliest memories of the Packers date from the time they played at old City Stadium, which was also the home field of East High. The Packers stunk back then. Gene Ronzani was coach. QB was a guy named Tobin Rote. My grandpa would listen to the game (no TV back then), and there'd come a point where he'd snap off the radio, in disgust. As kids, we had no trouble sneaking into the games; security would mostly look the other way.

Went on active Navy duty in 1957 (graduated high school in June). First time I saw the Pack play at what's now known as Lambeau Field was on TV, on board ship in the San Diego Harbor. Having played in the West High Band, I remember marching on the Sacred Turf during halftime of the annual East-West game. But that would have been in November, 1956--a year before Lambeau is said to have officially opened. Admittedly, my memory isn't what it used to be (never was). So does anyone know--for sure--what year the first East-West game was played at Lambeau?

Last edited:

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My mom went to East High and I know it was there because it was in her year books.

Members online

Latest posts