Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I would ask you this. If you were a family man, wife and 5 kids, would you pass up making hundreds of thousands of dollars, doing something you love?

Crosby is playing a position that has very little risk for long term injuries that would be life changing. I wouldn't blame him for wanting to build a bigger nest egg, as long as he can. There are only 4 place kickers in the HOF, I doubt he is worried about ruining his chances of getting in, since there is no chance. He will be a shoe-in (pun intended) to make the Packer HOF. Continuing his career for as long as he can, won't jeopardize that.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Well, it's certainly expensive raising 5 kids and seeing them all through college, and kickers don't make the kind of money that can set them up for life. As long as his wife and kids are ok with the travel (they should be by now, and it won't last forever), then yeah go for it.

As a practical matter, I think his NFL career is probably over. Kickers are expected to kick the ball into the end zone, and hit 80/85% of FGs. Crosby has a very accurate leg from 50 or less, and that's fine. He can't boom em anymore, and teams won't use two roster spots on kickers.

I wish him and his family all the best. Great guy.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As a practical matter, I think his NFL career is probably over. Kickers are expected to kick the ball into the end zone, and hit 80/85% of FGs. Crosby has a very accurate leg from 50 or less, and that's fine. He can't boom em anymore, and teams won't use two roster spots on kickers.

Interesting enough, Crosby has kicked off 10 times for the Giants, only 2 have been returned. I haven't seen any of them in person, but I have to assume, they weren't returned because they were either deep enough into the EZ or high enough, that a FC was called.

There has been this ongoing narrative for a few years now, that "Crosby is a liability on kickoffs". Yeah, his leg isn't as strong as it was when he was 22, but I think our coverage team hurt us more times than Mason did.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I would ask you this. If you were a family man, wife and 5 kids, would you pass up making hundreds of thousands of dollars, doing something you love?

Crosby is playing a position that has very little risk for long term injuries that would be life changing. I wouldn't blame him for wanting to build a bigger nest egg, as long as he can. There are only 4 place kickers in the HOF, I doubt he is worried about ruining his chances of getting in, since there is no chance. He will be a shoe-in (pun intended) to make the Packer HOF. Continuing his career for as long as he can, won't jeopardize that.

Kickers stay in the game if they are requested. Jason Hanson had like 20 years. George Blanda kept doing it. Robbie Gold lasted a long time. Way back the Packers signed a 42 year old Ben Agajanian to kickoff for a while when Hornung was either banged up or called for military alert.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, it's certainly expensive raising 5 kids and seeing them all through college, and kickers don't make the kind of money that can set them up for life. As long as his wife and kids are ok with the travel (they should be by now, and it won't last forever), then yeah go for it.

I wish him and his family all the best. Great guy.
Crosby has made over 44 million in his 17 year career. Money may be part of why he still wants to keep playing but I doubt he needs it. Any kicker in this day and age that can hang on for 10 years or more, maybe even less, should be able to set himself up for life. If you suck and only last a few seasons then maybe not but you don't last 10 seasons if you suck.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby has made over 44 million in his 17 year career. Money may be part of why he still wants to keep playing but I doubt he needs it. Any kicker in this day and age that can hang on for 10 years or more, maybe even less, should be able to set himself up for life. If you suck and only last a few seasons then maybe not but you don't last 10 seasons if you suck.
Wow, thanks for the stat. Even if that's gross earnings (before agent commissions, taxes, et al) that's plenty of money, if invested well, to set a family up for life.

And the number makes sense. If he averaged $3 mil year that's around $50 mil, assuming 15-17 years with the Packers (I think the years are high, but he may have had higher-earning years. These are rough numbers but you did put it in perspective.

Poker is probably right, the guy just likes playing. Kickers don't get physically damaged like other players.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

With a guy like Crosby, I think money should be taken out of the equation. I don't think he's particularly driven by money at this point in his life.

Reaction score
Crosby kicked more of his PATs from 20 yards than he did from 33. There is a difference. The rule change has an effect.
I totally agree that’s a good point. According to articles it took the League from averaging just shy of 99% to just over 95% (call it -3.5%) on 50 XPA or so per Kicker. That’s 2 additional misses from the usual 1 in a season. We should look at that to be accurate in comparison between Careers.

Crosby was 95.3% since the XPA rule extended to a 33 yarder.
Crosby also switched holders. So that argument (not suggesting you) becomes a bit more sketchy to use as supporting evidence for a Kicker (unless someone wants to literally go back Kick by Kick anyway)

Crosby 95.3% XPM%
Carlson 86.5%

Just to be clear. Any position needs time to set their bearings. Crosby needed time also, but his average reflects that and should everyone else’s once a proper sample size is in play. Crosby also didn’t keep the same holder or snapper every season. So that argument holds minimal value to me personally. If memory serves me, Crosby wasn’t solely at fault for our ST support unit mistakes, yet those mistakes show up on HIS stat line also.

For me I’m willing to give anyone time. Certainly a second season unless they are just terrible. Which Carlson is not, he’s ok ish. That said, by this time 2025? If he’s anywhere near 85% XPM I’m personally starting a Fire Carlson thread! :laugh:
I’m sure he’s a great Guy. We didn’t hire him to be a great guy. We hired him to be a great Kicker. He’s got 2 years and he’s about 47% into his evaluation period (adequate sample size) for me.
I’m not against him I’d love for him to work out, I just don’t like cringing every time we line up to Kick. As someone said we need “automatic” at <=33 yards.
That 86.5% number is more a number we need on TOTAL FGM, not XPM

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree that’s a good point. According to articles it took the League from averaging just shy of 99% to just over 95% (call it -3.5%) on 50 XPA or so per Kicker. That’s 2 additional misses from the usual 1 in a season. We should look at that to be accurate in comparison between Careers.

Crosby was 95.3% since the XPA rule extended to a 33 yarder.
Crosby also switched holders. So that argument (not suggesting you) becomes a bit more sketchy to use as supporting evidence for a Kicker (unless someone wants to literally go back Kick by Kick anyway)

Crosby 95.3% XPM%
Carlson 86.5%

Just to be clear. Any position needs time to set their bearings. Crosby needed time also, but his average reflects that and should everyone else’s once a proper sample size is in play. Crosby also didn’t keep the same holder or snapper every season. So that argument holds minimal value to me personally. If memory serves me, Crosby wasn’t solely at fault for our ST support unit mistakes, yet those mistakes show up on HIS stat line also.

For me I’m willing to give anyone time. Certainly a second season unless they are just terrible. Which Carlson is not, he’s ok ish. That said, by this time 2025? If he’s anywhere near 85% XPM I’m personally starting a Fire Carlson thread! :laugh:
I’m sure he’s a great Guy. We didn’t hire him to be a great guy. We hired him to be a great Kicker. He’s got 2 years and he’s about 47% into his evaluation period (adequate sample size) for me.
I’m not against him I’d love for him to work out, I just don’t like cringing every time we line up to Kick. As someone said we need “automatic” at <=33 yards.
That 86.5% number is more a number we need on TOTAL FGM, not XPM
Chances are someone may be there to compete with Carlson next camp. Interesting that Ryan Longwell had a good career in GB. But in his last season of 2005 there was a change in holders and he did not have his best season. Packers chose to let him walk to Minnesota where he did well.

Reaction score
Chances are someone may be there to compete with Carlson next camp. Interesting that Ryan Longwell had a good career in GB. But in his last season of 2005 there was a change in holders and he did not have his best season. Packers chose to let him walk to Minnesota where he did well.
Longwell had a really good career after GB. I didn’t remember the immediate circumstances, but always wondered why we let him walk

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Longwell had a really good career after GB. I didn’t remember the immediate circumstances, but always wondered why we let him walk
Longwell had made only 20 of 27 field-goal attempts (74.1 percent) in '05. The Packers decided to not offer him a new contract, so he hit free agency and signed right away with the Queens.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a small rebuild. MM took over. They were getting their cap under control. Longwell missed some kicks including a PAT thought cost us the Bucs game. He knew he could test the free market. We bubbled around for a kicker in 2006 then drafted Crosby in 07.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ironic. Carlson is in good company today. Tyler Bass of Buffalo missed a 44 yarder in the closing moments that could have gotten the Bills to OT. Tampa's kicker had a doink today as well.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ironic. Carlson is in good company today. Tyler Bass of Buffalo missed a 44 yarder in the closing moments that could have gotten the Bills to OT. Tampa's kicker had a drink today as well.
Bad weekend for kickers. Lousy weather as well. Even so, after Carlson's year, Gluten may have to dip back into the draft. The position is just too important.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bad weekend for kickers. Lousy weather as well. Even so, after Carlson's year, Gluten may have to dip back into the draft. The position is just too important.
Here is the "funny" thing about that. There were 3 Kickers taken in the 2023 draft:

Jake Moody: 49'ers Round 3: Pick 99

Chad Ryland: Patriots R. 4 Pick 112

Anders Carlson: Packers R. 6 #207

Moody was the Kicker I was hoping that the Packers would get. He was used to cold weather kicking and pretty decent and reliable kicker at Michigan.
He even won the Lou Groza Award (Nations Best Kicker in 2021). I was shocked though when the 9'ers took him in the 3rd round. He had a decent rookie season FG's: 21-25 84% XP's: 60-61

Ryland and Carlson had similar seasons. With Carlson much better on FG's and Ryland better on XP's.

Ryland: FG's: 16-25 64% XP's: 24-25

Carlson: FG's: 27-33 81.8% 34-39

I guess where I am going for here, is that drafting a kicker doesn't assure you much. For some reason, "top kicker in college" doesn't always carry over into the NFL. At this time I am not going to take a deep dive into the available kickers through the draft or Free agency, but I do believe that the Packers should and will bring in competition at the position. There have been many cases of rookie kickers working things out (Ander's Brother) and many times they don't. Time to put the heat to the kids feet and see how he holds up in training camp against other kickers.

There is one K that is slated to become a FA, that I like. That is Texans "Kaʻimi" Fairbairn. Signing him would mean Anders career in GB is probably over.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the "funny" thing about that. There were 3 Kickers taken in the 2023 draft:

Jake Moody: 49'ers Round 3: Pick 99

Chad Ryland: Patriots R. 4 Pick 112

Anders Carlson: Packers R. 6 #207

Moody was the Kicker I was hoping that the Packers would get. He was used to cold weather kicking and pretty decent and reliable kicker at Michigan.
He even won the Lou Groza Award (Nations Best Kicker in 2021). I was shocked though when the 9'ers took him in the 3rd round. He had a decent rookie season FG's: 21-25 84% XP's: 60-61

Ryland and Carlson had similar seasons. With Carlson much better on FG's and Ryland better on XP's.

Ryland: FG's: 16-25 64% XP's: 24-25

Carlson: FG's: 27-33 81.8% 34-39

I guess where I am going for here, is that drafting a kicker doesn't assure you much. For some reason, "top kicker in college" doesn't always carry over into the NFL. At this time I am not going to take a deep dive into the available kickers through the draft or Free agency, but I do believe that the Packers should and will bring in competition at the position. There have been many cases of rookie kickers working things out (Ander's Brother) and many times they don't. Time to put the heat to the kids feet and see how he holds up in training camp against other kickers.

There is one K that is slated to become a FA, that I like. That is Texans "Kaʻimi" Fairbairn. Signing him would mean Anders career in GB is probably over.
Good perspective. Kickers are almost by nature just weird guys. I liked Moody too, but not "3rd round" liked. I don't know Fairbairn, but with the Texans on the rise I'm sure they wanna keep him, but thanks for the intel. The good news is they don't cost a fortune.

They can find an UDFA to bring in, maybe someone on the street. And if they have to run it back with Carlson, so be it. I'd much rather see them fill in weak spots on the D like S and ILB, and on offense like LT and RB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Good perspective. Kickers are almost by nature just weird guys. I liked Moody too, but not "3rd round" liked. I don't know Fairbairn, but with the Texans on the rise I'm sure they wanna keep him, but thanks for the intel. The good news is they don't cost a fortune.

They can find an UDFA to bring in, maybe someone on the street. And if they have to run it back with Carlson, so be it. I'd much rather see them fill in weak spots on the D like S and ILB, and on offense like LT and RB.
Personally, I'm done with rookie kickers. Whether you draft them or sign them as UDFA's. Not sure what it is, but it sure seems like a position where if your head can't take the pressure of the NFL, you can suck pretty quickly. Find a seasoned veteran, even if his leg is a little more weak, at least it and his head is "broken-in" when it comes to kicking in the NFL. The odd thing about Carlson, it didn't seem to matter whether the kick (XP/FG) meant winning the game or just tacking points on during the game, he was an equal opportunity misser. Which tells me it isn't just "too much pressure", but more of a keeping his head in the game and his mechanics.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I'm done with rookie kickers. Whether you draft them or sign them as UDFA's. Not sure what it is, but it sure seems like a position where if your head can't take the pressure of the NFL, you can suck pretty quickly. Find a seasoned veteran, even if his leg is a little more weak, at least it and his head is "broken-in" when it comes to kicking in the NFL. The odd thing about Carlson, it didn't seem to matter whether the kick (XP/FG) meant winning the game or just tacking points on during the game, he was an equal opportunity misser. Which tells me it isn't just "too much pressure", but more of a keeping his head in the game and his mechanics.
Yeah I'm not even sure he was aiming or taking conditions into account. By definition, kickers will be put in high pressure situations. So yeah, better to have a guy who has done it before.

I don't strongly one way or another about Carlson. I take issue with anyone blaming just him for the SF loss. He had a lousy year, period. He was only good on 71% of FGs in college. WTF! They'll bring in competition. I don't fault Gluten with going all is on the youth movement. I'm a homer, but the Packers are going to be back in the playoffs on a regular basis, and they have their QB. Not bad.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not even sure he was aiming or taking conditions into account. By definition, kickers will be put in high pressure situations. So yeah, better to have a guy who has done it before.
He came right out and took the blame for the missed kick, so gotta give the kid some credit for that.

Carslon has reminded me of someone all year and it just dawned on me, J.K. Scott. Yes, Scott was a punter, but he was drafted and the Packers had high hopes for him. Despite a super talented leg, he just didn't perform in G.B.

Reaction score
Normally I’m totally backing Carlson because we obviously spent a 6th Rounder so we think enough of him to do that. In his corner, the difference between a decent Kicker and a poor Kicker is 2-3 missed FG and 2-3 missed XPA per season. Nobody has any idea if Carlson will make up that difference in 2024, however I think the odds are in your favor to gain some traction after another complete offseason and camp/preseason, plus gaining continuity with the same group.

On the other side of the argument is this. We don’t have time to wait to train him. I mean that jokingly but respectfully. I believe GB has a good shot at getting back to a similar Divisional game scenario as early as in 12 months and we can’t be worried about kicking a 35-45 yarder. I’d rather a guy that is $money$ inside 35, an easy top 10 Kicker inside 50 yards, can possibly squeak out a 51-54 yarder but just doesn’t possess the leg to hit past 55. I’ll take that problem as I know upfront I’ve got to get him inside the 40 yard line by a couple yards I’m ok with that n.p.

i really want an “above average” % Kicker in both FG and XPM but Tom Brady under pressure. Which I hate to say it but that was Crosby. He was undeniably better in postseason. I’d put $500 on Crosby making that from 42 in the rain (and maybe more)

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He came right out and took the blame for the missed kick, so gotta give the kid some credit for that.

Carslon has reminded me of someone all year and it just dawned on me, J.K. Scott. Yes, Scott was a punter, but he was drafted and the Packers had high hopes for him. Despite a super talented leg, he just didn't perform in G.B.

I do give him credit for taking ownership of the kick and thx for the background.

He certainly had plenty of excuses - the truly lousy weather, the snapper had already bungled a snap, the pressure - but nope, he explained what he was trying to do and what really happened, he missed. I like him more already. I hope he gets another chance, wherever that might be, Green Bay, or wherever. and that he nails the next one.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good thing you're through with rookie kickers...'24 Carlson will be a seasoned vet. ;) Unless MLF/Bissaccia/Gute are done with Carlson they'll probably bring in a USFL kicker or 2 as competition.