Good time for a Lacy contract extension?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's really tough to give a contract extension to a guy who didn't take enough pride in his profession to be in shape. Being 30 lbs. overweight so an extreme lack of discipline. How can a guy who came five minutes of the worse football ever played away from being in Super Bowl 49 not realize he would be a focal point of a Super Bowl team?

Even if he lights it up this year, how do you confidently give him an extension? Anybody remember Cletidus Hunt? He was a monster his contract year, got fat and nobody ever heard from him again.

Sky King

Reaction score
...I don´t expect Thompson to re-sign both Sitton and Lang after next season...

As much as I appreciate both players, I think you're right. They're warriors but the body can only take so much for so long and 30+ is not youthful for most guys toiling in the trenches. Since Thompson would prefer to part ways a year too soon rather than a year too late, it's conceivable one or both could be gone. It would be a sad day for fans but GM's aren't the sentimental type.

D

Deleted member 6794

If he looks like last year, it would be best to move on anyway.

There's plenty of reasons that it makes sense for him to take a long-term contract now with $6-7M in guarantees, which is 3 times the amount that he's made in his entire career.

I can't say for sure that he would either, because I also don't know how Lacy and his agent are looking at the situation, but it's absolutely possible he would accept long-term security at this point, especially when he's not a particularly passionate football guy.

While Lacy would for sure think about accepting such a deal I don´t see any reason for the Packers to offer him that kind of guaranteed money after what happened last season though. As I´ve mentioned before the situation is similar to Raji´s over the last few years and I will have a hard time ever trusting Lacy to stay in shape once he signs a lucrative long-term contract.

Look what we did with an ineffective lacy sure i love lacy and how he used to plow guys over on every play. We can win without him so we shouldn't over pay him.

While I agree the Packers shouldn´t overpay for Lacy it´s important for the team to have a decent running game. If Thompson decides to let Lacy walk after next season he would have to find an adequate replacement for him.

As much as I appreciate both players, I think you're right. They're warriors but the body can only take so much for so long and 30+ is not youthful for most guys toiling in the trenches. Since Thompson would prefer to part ways a year too soon rather than a year too late, it's conceivable one or both could be gone. It would be a sad day for fans but GM's aren't the sentimental type.

I don´t think the Packers will let both Sitton and Lang walk away after next season. It will be close to impossible to afford re-signing both though.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Say what you want, and justify it every way you can invent... Lacy will not take a deal before the start of the season. Guaranteed.

As with everyone on every board who guarantees anything - how are you going to pay off if you're wrong?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I heard he has trouble being motivated... a drinking problem and missed curfew all year long...

Jz3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM is one of the dumbest coaches in the NFL. You don't ever pay someone like Lacy. He might have one good year left in his career and it could be next year just because he will have the most motivation to land his biggest contract. He could pull a Raji though and mb a contract year still isn't enough.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say they let him run some, see where he is after this offseason and go from there. Have to see where his heart is and how dedicated he is to the team to get better in the offseason. Hopefully come back and see flashes of his rookie year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I say they let him run some, see where he is after this offseason and go from there. Have to see where his heart is and how dedicated he is to the team to get better in the offseason. Hopefully come back and see flashes of his rookie year.

Even if Lacy returns in shape for the 2016 season I don't see any reason for the team to be confident in him continuing to do so once he has signed a lucrative long-term deal.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, but some more than others. A player who has already shown reasons for concern is obviously a bigger gamble.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good time for a Lacy contract extension?

Only if he loses 30 lbs

Apparently someone is being less than truthful because McCarthy is saying he never told Lacy he had to lose 30 pounds. Get into shape yes but he never gave him a specific target. I like how these things take on a life of their own.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently someone is being less than truthful because McCarthy is saying he never told Lacy he had to lose 30 pounds. Get into shape yes but he never gave him a specific target. I like how these things take on a life of their own.

Regardless of who said what, Eddie Lacy was severely overweight all of last season.

NYNeal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Lacy entering a contract year and MM confident he will be in shape in 2016, you'd have to think he's someone we'd certainly want to keep if he rebounds with a similar year to his first two.

With that in mind, it might be a good idea to approach Lacy about an extension now after an off year and avoid the conversation next year in free agency when his price might go way up and we already have our two guards to worry about. The benefit for Lacy to doing this of course is being able to score some long-term security and set his family up for life rather than risk an injury at a very high risk position, or risk seeing his value plummet further after a down year.

While Lacy would no doubt be looking to get paid based on his first two years in the league, I'm sure we'd be looking for a discount based on his last season. A good compromise, I think, would be an offer based on the 4 year/$16M deal signed by Ingram last year. This would lock Lacy up through age 30; basically the rest of his effective career. For a player like Lacy, I'd also include around $1M in incentives every season for hitting certain yardage marks and Pro Bowl appearances.

I think the Packers would be very foolish to offer Lacy an extension. He has shown no desire to be the best he can be. If he doesn't get his head back in the game and his body in top condition, he might be shown the door.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the Packers would be very foolish to offer Lacy an extension. He has shown no desire to be the best he can be. If he doesn't get his head back in the game and his body in top condition, he might be shown the door.

I fully expect Lacy to show up for this year's offseason program and training camp in shape. I'm worried about what happens though once he gets a long-term deal.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Eddie could definitely drop some weight, but I am more concerned with his conditioning. Most of the season he seemed gassed after (and during) any kind of substantial run. Of course, carrying added weight doesn't help that. But you look at a guy like Adrian Peterson, who averaged almost double the carries per game that Lacy had (20 VS 11) and AP, even at his age, just seems to pop up off the ground after each carry and is ready for the next.

PackerBacker12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
honestly i enjoyed watching James Starks at the running back position this year way more and think he got the tough yards when it counted something lacy proved he was unable to do last season over and over no doubt 3rd and 9 runs are putting you in a position to fail but Starks seemed more consistent and more effective for Aaron

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO it's unlikely he'll be offered a contract before the season starts so most of your points will be moot. But if you continue to have this attitude I hope you don't return.

Let me know how that works out for you brah.

D

Deleted member 6794

honestly i enjoyed watching James Starks at the running back position this year way more and think he got the tough yards when it counted something lacy proved he was unable to do last season over and over no doubt 3rd and 9 runs are putting you in a position to fail but Starks seemed more consistent and more effective for Aaron

Unfortunately Starks fumbled way too often last season though.

Members online

Latest posts