Good time for a Lacy contract extension?

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think lacy would accept a new contract right now. His agent would be foolish to let him.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So despite my previous stance, maybe the prudent thing to do is to wait and see who Eddie Lacy is in 2016 before extending his contract.

But there is the catch 22 you had pointed out.

If 2016 Eddie Lacy looks like his '13 or '14 self, he's going to price himself out of our comfort zone.

If he looks like last year, it would be best to move on anyway.

The program 61

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look what we did with an ineffective lacy sure i love lacy and how he used to plow guys over on every play. We can win without him so we shouldn't over pay him.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had a terrible offense with an ineffective lacy.

Price wise, itd be in our interest to ink him now. Like i said, though, i expect a motivated lacy this year and hes not going to take a deal now lnowing he can position himself for more with a good year.

The whole discussion is moot because lacy and his agent simply will not accept a deal right now knowing its going to be a low ball offer.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
But there is the catch 22 you had pointed out.

If 2016 Eddie Lacy looks like his '13 or '14 self, he's going to price himself out of our comfort zone.

If he looks like last year, it would be best to move on anyway.

LOL...stop using my own words to change my mind...again :unsure:

It is a bit of a conundrum, both sides have to try and look at all possible outcomes. There is even a chance that in 2016 Lacy looks even better then his former self, in which case he could price himself out of GB. For the Packers, it would really be about trying to get him to sign an incentive loaded contract or at least a contract reflecting his average value over the last 3 years without a lot of guarantees, if they want to do it early. If Lacy and his agent are confident he can reach incentive goals, they may agree to it. Or both sides just sit and wait and let the chips (hopefully not potato) fall where they may.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The whole discussion is moot because lacy and his agent simply will not accept a deal right now knowing its going to be a low ball offer.

"knowing its going to be a low ball offer" How do they know that? That is why they call it contract negotiations.

The Packers could offer enough incentives to protect Lacy against injury as well as performance incentives that truly let him earn his money.

By not signing a contract, Lacy and his agent could equally risk Lacy getting hurt or having a terrible year being paid on his rookie contract and then hope to sign him at Vet min. in 2017.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had a terrible offense with an ineffective lacy.

Price wise, itd be in our interest to ink him now. Like i said, though, i expect a motivated lacy this year and hes not going to take a deal now lnowing he can position himself for more with a good year.

None of us know what Lacy is thinking. He plays a dangerous position and could be guaranteed nothing after 2016 with one hit. Or he could struggle again and have to fight just to make a roster in 2017. There's plenty of reasons that it makes sense for him to take a long-term contract now with $6-7M in guarantees, which is 3 times the amount that he's made in his entire career.

I can't say for sure that he would either, because I also don't know how Lacy and his agent are looking at the situation, but it's absolutely possible he would accept long-term security at this point, especially when he's not a particularly passionate football guy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Does he have the same agent as Raji? :)

It does kind of feel like the Raji situation a bit doesn't it? You see the potential is there and hope it will come out, but do you bank on it? In Raji's case, the Packers were lucky he didn't accept the big contract they offered him.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What youre not considering is that lacy knows what hes capable of, and that '13 and '14 were just a glimpse of it. He may not be a real passionate player but hes not stupid and has more to prove.

He will not sign a deal earlier than midseason, after he starts the season like a man possessed and pissed off about last year. His agent is busy feeding him bulletin board material about being a disappointment last year and as a primary reason for the teams problems on offense. Hea carrying a huge chip on his shoulder right now and has every intention of cashing it in.

This isnt just a matter of opinion, its the most logical expecttion. Why would he approach this any other way?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
His agent is busy feeding him bulletin board material about being a disappointment last year and as a primary reason for the teams problems on offense. Hea carrying a huge chip on his shoulder right now and has every intention of cashing it in.

This isnt just a matter of opinion, its the most logical expecttion. Why would he approach this any other way?

So is this the same bulletin board material that has been around since Lacy was drafted? If the media attention early on in his career didn't get his attention, why would he all of a sudden change from the same thing this year? I'm not saying he won't change, but you don't think there is some doubt in his mind? You think he and his agent are 100% sure Eddie will not only have an unbelievable contract year, but an injury free one too?

Why wouldn't he approach it from all angles? Isn't that more logical?

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This whole idea of doubt is the fatal flaw in your argument. Professional athletes dont doubt themselves.

Eddie and his agent would never be so lacking in confidence to suspect even for anminute that last year was closer to the notm than the previous 2, and that the smart bet would be to just take the money and run, and not shoot for more.
Your argument is nowhere close to logical, its wishful thinking on your part. Eddie and his agent are not going to accept a pre season contract offer heavily skewed by last years bad season. Its as simple as that.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, yes it is a matter of opinion. And we've already explained the reasons he would approach it another way. No matter what may be most logical to you, we again have no idea how Lacy wants to approach it.

By this line of thinking there is no reason for a player to ever accept a deal before they hit free agency and have a chance to maximize their leverage, when in reality it happens all the time.

How do you think Raji feels about his decision to pass up guaranteed money to try to break the bank? Did that work out for him? Did he play like a man possessed to earn more? I'm sure he wanted to, but he didn't. Instead he has had to accept small 1 year deals, and immediately lost a year to injury just months after turning down the lucrative extension.

Suppose Lacy turns down a deal and blows out a knee in December. Now not only does he not have a contract, his entire 2017 season is in question. He's suddenly looking at 2018 before he'll be fully healthy again, at which point he'll be 28. He's not playing a position where he can afford to lose time.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This whole idea of doubt is the fatal flaw in your argument. Professional athletes dont doubt themselves.

Eddie and his agent would never be so lacking in confidence to suspect even for anminute that last year was closer to the notm than the previous 2, and that the smart bet would be to just take the money and run, and not shoot for more.
Your argument is nowhere close to logical, its wishful thinking on your part. Eddie and his agent are not going to accept a pre season contract offer heavily skewed by last years bad season. Its as simple as that.

You know this is a fact because???

Sorry, but you would make a pretty crappy agent with this kind of logic. "I don't care what they are offering you, just go out there and have the best season ever Champ and it will be raining money when you are done!" A good agent listens, negotiates and advises.

At no point have I said the Packers should low ball Lacy and "heavily skew" a contract offer based solely on last year, your words, not mine. If you reread what I said, the prudent thing to do is to offer him an incentive based contract, let him earn the money, something you feel very confident he can do. While offering him some guarantees if he gets injured.

Offering Lacy a contract extension is totally in the hands of the Packers at this time. They have 2 choices, do nothing or negotiate. If the Packers try to negotiate and Lacy and his agent decide to go all in and not negotiate, then let the chips fall where they may.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Say what you want, and justify it every way you can invent... Lacy will not take a deal before the start of the season. Guaranteed.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is just so wrong in so many ways. Players and agents aren't blind to the realities of risk management. That's not doubting themselves, that's business.

Lacy has made about $2M dollars in his career. He's a country boy from the south. If you tell him right now that you'll cut him a signing bonus check right now that will triple his lifetime earnings and set himself up for life, there's absolutely the possibility that he'll give that serious consideration, rather than risk injury in a violent game and end up with nothing.

Or, maybe him and his agent would prefer to roll the dice and take the risk to go for more money. I don't know them personally, so I can't speak for how they would approach it. But neither can you, so stop speaking in absolutes. There is logic on both sides and it's happened both ways plenty of times in history.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Say what you want, and justify it every way you can invent... Lacy will not take a deal before the start of the season. Guaranteed.

Actually, we've been 'justifying' it with logical points and historical precedence, all of which you just conveniently ignore. Tough to argue with a guy who just responds to everything with 'Nuh uh, this is the way it's going to be because I said so!'

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone here has spoken to me in absolutes and dismissed every line of what ive said as invalid.

Yet here you are talking in absolutes but twlling me im not allowed to.

Ill speak how i want to, and ill be back after lacy signs a deal well after the season starts to tell each of you were wrong, yet treated me like im an idiot.

Dude has potential to maybe earn top5 rb money, or close to it, hes not going to let last year ruin that. Mark my words.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mostly agree with your post but while it´s true they don´t get paid as much as players at some other positions the top running backs get paid in excess of $5 million a season. A number I wouldn´t feel comfortable with handing out to Lacy.

Yeah, but the number mentioned for giving him this year was $4m/yr. That's not really a "bargain" for a guy with as many questions as Lacy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Can you justify your guarantee? It would appear you are 100% confident in it. What are you basing your guarantee on? I actually see both sides of the argument and can envision many things potentially happen, one being exactly what you are saying (in a modified way). However, for anyone to post something that implies everyone else is an idiot because they don't agree with you just comes off as being ignorant.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone here has spoken to me in absolutes and dismissed every line of what ive said as invalid.

Yet here you are talking in absolutes but twlling me im not allowed to.

(facepalm)

I said in almost every one of my posts something along the lines of, 'Maybe Lacy would be interested in this, or maybe he wouldn't, we can't be sure.'

Do you know what 'speaking in absolutes' is? No one besides you has really come close to it in this thread.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Actually, the only absolute I have seen so far is:

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ill speak how i want to, and ill be back after lacy signs a deal well after the season starts to tell each of you were wrong, yet treated me like im an idiot.

Wrong about what? No one here has made any guarantees other than....you.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ill speak how i want to, and ill be back after lacy signs a deal well after the season starts to tell each of you were wrong, yet treated me like im an idiot..

I look forward to your return well after the season starts. I hope during that time you will reread the thread and read everyone's view point (not just your own) and see that a lot of us don't care if we are right or wrong, but were simply discussing the OP's question of "Is this a good time for a Lacy contract extension".​

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
...and ill be back after lacy signs a deal well after the season starts to tell each of you were wrong ...
IMO it's unlikely he'll be offered a contract before the season starts so most of your points will be moot. But if you continue to have this attitude I hope you don't return.