Good news or bad news for the Packers - Bears hire Mike Martz as OC

Favre3132

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Below is the story from pro football talk.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bears hire Mike Martz
Posted by Mike Florio on February 1, 2010 3:59 PM ET

The coach that no one wanted finally has gotten the job that no one wanted.
Mike Martz is the new offensive coordinator of the Chicago Bears.

As we hear it, coach Lovie Smith wanted Martz from the outset of the search process, but G.M. Jerry Angelo resisted. With multiple candidates declining the job and/or a chance to interview for it, Martz eventually became the only real option.

As Larry Mayer of the team's official web site points out, Smith now has three former head coaches on his staff -- Martz, offensive line coach Mike Tice (Vikings 2001-05), and defensive line coach Rod Marinelli (Lions 2006-08).

And if they don't help Lovie turn things around, the four of them can look for work together in 2011.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love how the article starts out "The coach that no one wanted has finally got the job no one wanted."

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Don't think it will matter too much in my opinion. They still have to get the players on the field. Cutler is UNIMPRESSIVE, and he needs guys to throw to. Forte was horrible last season. I think the Bears needed a new head coach and a lot of updates at various offensive positions. They will be lucky to finish 7-9 next season.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because Martz is a figured out, backstabber SOB. In SF he never even thought about hiving Shaun Hill the opportunity to compete for the job.

And his offense has been figured out since 2002...

And, let's face it, until the Bears get a receiver that knows how to run a route, they'll never scare anyone offensively...

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought this quote pretty much sums it up:

The coach that no one wanted finally has gotten the job that no one wanted.

It makes me LOL too!:chisux:

charlotte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I concur, PackerRS. and I'll add that the powers that be were foolish to not clean house from top to bottom.

imho, they could have signed the greatest OC to ever walk the face of this earth, but with the total lack of weapons and with the D still being run by a clueless Lovie, da bears are looking at another dismal season.

The fans aren't thrilled either. And methinks they won't be spending as much of their hard earned dollars to support this half sunken boat.

:chisux: << the hire assures me that this will not change in the near future.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears do have some decent receivers. They're just very young receivers, that's the problem.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears do have some decent receivers. They're just very young receivers, that's the problem.
Actually, they're bad. They're fast, some of them have good hands, but that's not all there is.

They have no clue how to run a route. Did you see Knox in the Pro Bowl? Completely lost...

I mean, Jay Cutler is careless with the ball, but almost half his pics happened because the receiver run the wrong route...

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking of Olsen and Aromashadou(sp?). Those two seem like promising receivers IMO.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Because Martz is a figured out, backstabber SOB. In SF he never even thought about hiving Shaun Hill the opportunity to compete for the job.

And his offense has been figured out since 2002...

And, let's face it, until the Bears get a receiver that knows how to run a route, they'll never scare anyone offensively...

Exactly.....Bears don't scare me at all. :chisux::chisux:

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Unless Martz brings Issac Bruce, Torry Holt, and Marshall Faulk in their prime with him to Chicago, i'm not all that concerned.

I think they'll be a little better on offense because of this, I think Cutler's interceptions will go down, but I don't think they're going to scare anybody.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It makes me a little nervous, thinking back to the days of the Greatest show of Turf. But then again, correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't he the Lion OC not too long ago? How'd that work out?

Members online

Latest posts