Going For 2

Would you have gone for 2 at the end of Regulation time?

• NO

Votes: 38 48.7%
  • YES

Votes: 40 51.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

King of Jeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay so a lot of people are mentioning this across the threads. Insisting that going for 2 instead of kicking the extra point at the end of regulation was the better choice. Are these people just saying this because they know how it ended in hindsight, or should they really have risked it all on one do or die play?

VOTE AND / OR DISCUSS

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course answer is no because you don't know who's gonna win the toss.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see the advanced stats on this one for each choice. I'm thinking going for two has somewhere between a 45-50% of working and OT ideally would be 50% (unfortunately depending a lot on who wins the coin toss).

The main problem I have with going for two is we just put ourselves in this position with a really tough, huge play by Rodgers and then we almost have to have that result two plays in a row. The other side of the coin (I'm sorry) is that we were the big underdogs in a road game and should have just went for it.

Ultimately, this wasn't the reason we lost. We lost because of a blown coverage, and the NFL's slightly skewed OT format.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I would love to see the advanced stats on this one for each choice. I'm thinking going for two has somewhere between a 45-50% of working and OT ideally would be 50% (unfortunately depending a lot on who wins the coin toss).

The main problem I have with going for two is we just put ourselves in this position with a really tough, huge play by Rodgers and then we almost have to have that result two plays in a row. The other side of the coin (I'm sorry) is that we were the big underdogs in a road game and should have just went for it.

Ultimately, this wasn't the reason we lost. We lost because of a blown coverage, and the NFL's slightly skewed OT format.
Lost because of that and a dropped 4th down bounce pass and other bad throws

Lost because some we had drops

Lost because of Sam dropping int

Please don't place entire game on the def

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it funny that the expression exists in the NFL, 'Play for the tie at home and play for the win on the road,' yet no one seems to actually follow it.

There's truth to it. The road team is at a decided disadvantage in overtime.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lost because of that and a dropped 4th down bounce pass and other bad throws

Lost because some we had drops

Lost because of Sam dropping int

Please don't place entire game on the def
No team plays a perfect game. What matters is they execute when it matters most, that's what being "clutch" means. The offense was clutch, the defense wasn't. They certainly weren't responsible for all of our miscues, but they blew the game.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMMEDIATELY after Janis caught the TD pass I was screaming at the tv for them to go for 2. Few reasons why....they had the momentum, there is no guarantee that Crosby would have made the extra point, and there was no guarantee we would have gotten possession in overtime. Once again, we played to not lose rather than played to win.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMMEDIATELY after Janis caught the TD pass I was screaming at the tv for them to go for 2. Few reasons why....they had the momentum, there is no guarantee that Crosby would have made the extra point, and there was no guarantee we would have gotten possession in overtime. Once again, we played to not lose rather than played to win.
I say put it in your best player's hands when the game is on the line, especially if you have the momentum.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Also, Arizona was out of timeouts. So it would have just been, let's go, let's do this, and if Arizona wasn't ready, there's nothing they could have done about it. They could not have called a timeout to talk things over.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I initially said no. But knowing McCarthys record in OT is 1-8-1. I say yes

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Actually it's not as dependent as it used to be since both teams get a chance to get the ball in OT unless there is a td scored on the first possession. Still not a perfect system, but better than it was.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said go for 2 before they even scored....no brainer....one play to win....do you believe in your team? Or not...

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So do you have any facts to back that up or is it just your opinion?

Well on the average, the home team wins 54% of the team. That is a fact and a decided advantage. Add in the fact that we still had to make the XP and we were underdogs against the #1 offense and our odds were most likely less. But 54 to 46 is a decided advantage.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said go for 2 before they even scored....no brainer....one play to win....do you believe in your team? Or not...

Of course I believe in my team, but by going for 2 you are putting the entire game on just a single play. By going into overtime, just 1 play (normally) doesn't determine the outcome and I think the better team normally comes out on top. So I would say you don't believe in your team being able to win in OT, then you would go for 2.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I initially said no. But knowing McCarthys record in OT is 1-8-1. I say yes
How many times has the other team scored on the opening drive of overtime? Obviously Seattle last year and now Arizona. It seems like there have been a few times our offense hasnt even had a chance

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course I believe in my team, but by going for 2 you are putting the entire game on just a single play. By going into overtime, just 1 play (normally) doesn't determine the outcome and I think the better team normally comes out on top. So I would say you don't believe in your team being able to win in OT, then you would go for 2.

In an obviously questionable situation like that, I'll win or lose the game with the ball in the hands of my best player. I'd never question that.

Unfortunately, the Hail Mary was the last play of our best player's season and we lost it with him on the sideline.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well on the average, the home team wins 54% of the team. That is a fact and a decided advantage. Add in the fact that we still had to make the XP and we were underdogs against the #1 offense and our odds were most likely less. But 54 to 46 is a decided advantage.

I guess I misstated my question which really should have been why do you feel the home team has a decided advantage in OT? Just because the home team has won 54% of the time doesn't necessarily make it an advantage. I suppose you could say that having the home crowd would be a slight advantage, but that's about the only thing. I would suspect that whoever scored last would have more of an advantage since they should have the momentum. I just don't think being the home team has much of an advantage in OT, certainly not a 'decided advantage'.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In an obviously questionable situation like that, I'll win or lose the game with the ball in the hands of my best player. I'd never question that.

Unfortunately, the Hail Mary was the last play of our best player's season and we lost it with him on the sideline.

Which just means you had no faith in our defense. :) We could have won the coin toss and gotten the ball, but it didn't work out that way.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather remember Rodgers' last play of the year being a successful hail mary than a failed 2-pt conversion. Odds and percentages are nice to know but they don't guarantee anything. Our play calling and execution inside the 10 hasn't exactly been stellar this year.

Does anyone know if Rodgers suggested to MM that they go for 2?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which just means you had no faith in our defense. :).

You're right, I didn't. Last year in Seattle they gave up a quick TD in overtime. The year before they could not stop Colin Kaepernick from driving for the game winning FG in a tie game late. These were all games where the defense, as a whole, played well most of the game.

Pressure time with everything on the line is an entirely different situation than the 2nd quarter. Unfortunately, over the last few years in the playoffs they've been untrustworthy in those situations.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather remember Rodgers' last play of the year being a successful hail mary than a failed 2-pt conversion. Odds and percentages are nice to know but they don't guarantee anything. Our play calling and execution inside the 10 hasn't exactly been stellar this year.

Does anyone know if Rodgers suggested to MM that they go for 2?

Well, we were 5 for 7 for the 2 this year so I would consider that quite successful.

I'm not concerned with whatever Rodgers' last memory of the season is. I'm concerned with whatever gives us the best chance to win and advance.

No idea if Rodgers made any such suggestions, but we all know what Rodgers would have said if MM had asked if he wanted to stay out there and try to win it now.

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Defense was really not doing anything maybe, but you have to get into overtime after that comeback and no time on the clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts