1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

God... Please don't let Dom Capers leave for a HC job next season... Amen.

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by 98Redbird, Nov 18, 2010.

1. 98Redbird

98Redbird Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +240
    When asked in his press conference earlier this week Mike McCarthy said that he thought that Dom Capers absolutely would deserve a head coaching job... That if he was a GM he would hire him for a HC position in a heartbeat.

God that would suck if he left.

2. Mushroom

Mushroom Packer Owner/Shareholder

Ratings:
    +106
    Did anybody tell Mike to STFU?

3. YoKramer

YoKramer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +29
    To go to the Vikings :suicide_fool-edit:

4. Havners Heroes

Havners Heroes Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +45
    Dom should take a hint, his first two HC jobs didn't include much success (one NFC championship appearance with the Panthers and that's about it). He's a gifted defensive coordinator getting a ton of attention for a team that's going to be a contender for quite a while. Nothing wrong with that.

5. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    Good point, Vikes would definitely be interested in Capers. No doubt about it. Hell, Mike, STFU. Although you really can't fault a guy for wanting to be a HC in the league. I doubt Capers would screw Mike over by going to the Vikes. Dallas?

6. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    He was just paying lip service.

Fact is, Capers has been a HC before, and hasn't had much sucess. True, true, he led an expansion team to the NFCC game, and he only took expansion teams.

But I believe even he knows that his calling is DC. He spent a lot of time with "small" jobs, nobody would take a chance on him, before we took him as DC.

Capers can be a HoF DC if he stays in GB. At least be recognized as one of the best DCs ever. If he goes Head Coaching, probably he won't be recognized as a great HC.

Contrary to the up-and-coming coordinators, he's old, and he's had his chances.

Some guys are made to be coordinators, or position coaches. I think Capers is one of them.

7. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +106
    I can agree with that. Funny, I dont remember him when he was a HC.

8. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Some guys are better coordinators than coaches, but one has to wonder whether those guys know it or not. I think I remember reading something recently where Capers was quoted as saying he knows where his strengths are, and that's not in being a head coach. Being a head coach carries a lot of prestige, not to mention the better pay check, but also carries quite a bit more burden and responsibility.

My hope is Capers chooses to become our Dick LeBeau.

9. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,226
    Well, it wasn't a memorable experience.

Its a catch 22. If MM doesn't pimp his staff for bigger and better opportunities, he won't get the top notch candidates when there is an opening or not. Any team looking for a HC typically has in mind an Offensive or a defensive guy. If its a D guy, he is automatically looking at the top 5 defenses in the NFL and their coordinators. That is, no matter what MM says, if some owner wants to give Dom a shot, Dom is going to get a shot.

You never know. Remember Billicheat failed his first go around. NE is glad they gave him another shot.

10. PackerChef

PackerChef Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    I agree with a lot of what was already written... I think that a trend of the NFL is young high profile coaches and DC is definitely not that... I think that he'll be around for awhile... My guess is that Rob Ryan, Lesie Fraiser, and Jason Garrett will all get their names called before Capers does.

11. aaronqb

aaronqb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +73
    Pay Dom some $

12. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,422
    who was that def coordinator that we had during our terrible 4-12 season in 05? i remember we had him for one year then he was gone

13. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +106
    Jim Bates???

14. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,803
    Everyone gives Dom a lot of credit which is fine.
    If he leaves, the talent on the field will still be there.

15. BennyBigWig

BennyBigWig Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He's doing a mighty fine job in Green Bay. Let's hope he stays for awhile longer.

16. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +850
    Some people are head coaches and some people are coordinators. Capers is a coordinator.

17. DTown SBrown

DTown SBrown Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +48
    Not worried about him going to MN, simply due to them having their "Jason Garrett" already there. Leslie Frazier. Bringing in Capers would not prove to do anything to help that team that they currently dont have.

Plus, again, he is pretty far down the list at this point
    too many coaches in the booth win rings on who have owners licking their chops

18. Fredm

Fredm Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The reason his title was not DC in Miami at first because having that title would have kept him from getting all of the money from the remaining time on his contract from the Texans. After getting canned in Miami he only spent one year as a non DC.

19. KilrB

KilrB Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +99
    It may have been Bates, but he was damn fine DC. Pissed me off when he left just because he was pissed he didnt get the HC job.

Wasnt it Bob Slowik who was the DC at that time. I am pretty sure because i hated that guy and the term Slowitt was thrown around liberally

20. KilrB

KilrB Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +99
    Like the Cowboys?

Keeping Capers should be a top Priority. Look at Pittsburg and Dick Lebeau. What is he going on? 15 years there? They arent good year in and year out only because of talent.

Look at what Capers has done with our injury ravaged defense! I though we'd be lucky to hold anyone at all, yet here we are the top 1 or 2 team in the league!

Capers stays at all costs if you want to win. Build the guy a house on a lake and fly his family in for holidays. Make it happen if you want to win. Stop this coaching staff turn over bullshit and look around and see what wins year in and year out TT!

21. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +420
    Keep Capers, I believe he is doing great things to our defense, and with the first Minn victory this year he finally beat Favre. I like his schemes, and hope that the Packers play the psycho package versus Tom Brady to see if it really is worth it.