Gary's Role

Sky King

Reaction score
Gary is five inches taller though.
Not meant as an argument against body types being different, just that a guy 6'0 tall was able to put on 19 more pounds to play his position. A guy 6'5" tall probably has the potential to gain at least that much weight himself, if not considerably more.

If the Packer brain trust decides that Gary would better serve the team at a higher weight so that his role can be adjusted, it is possible to mold Gary's body to hold more bulk. Personally, I hope they don't engage in reshaping and role changing for him. It seems that it does not always work out as well as hoped, ala Nick Perry, Datone Jones, and Oren Burks most recently. They drafted him to play OL and it may be best to stick with their original plan. Changing his role and body weight may negatively impact his athleticism, which is what attracted him to them in the first place.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not meant as an argument against body types being different, just that a guy 6'0 tall was able to put on 19 more pounds to play his position. A guy 6'5" tall probably has the potential to gain at least that much weight himself, if not considerably more.

I agree that Gary could most likely add 20 pounds of good weight but as you said that might still not result in him excelling as a defensive lineman.

With him being 6-5 he might have to add even more to have a proper body type to play the position in the first place.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you gotta slow roll with Gary, see what he brings to the table next year and the year after. He's a project, we shouldn't have had much expectations for him this year. He's gotta learn from the Smith's and hope to take over near the end of his contract. Obviously not ideal, I would have much preferred WR help over Gary this year, but I don't know that Marquise Brown would have been the answer either given his injuries this year.

Sky King

Reaction score
...With him being 6-5 he might have to add even more to have a proper body type to play the position in the first place.
If they get his weight right and if he can be coached up to be an impact hybrid DL/OLB ala Z, and the returns are just beginning to show a positive trend upward, then beware NFL. They can never have too many good players on the defensive front seven to cover for in-game, rotation, fatigue and anytime injuries.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think you gotta slow roll with Gary, see what he brings to the table next year and the year after. He's a project, we shouldn't have had much expectations for him this year. He's gotta learn from the Smith's and hope to take over near the end of his contract. Obviously not ideal, I would have much preferred WR help over Gary this year, but I don't know that Marquise Brown would have been the answer either given his injuries this year.

It's legit to wonder how much of an impact Gary will have over the course of his rookie deal though with both Smiths signed through the 2022 season as well.

There were four rookie receivers who had more than 800 yards in AJ Brown, McLaurin, Metcalf and Samuel this season.

D

Deleted member 6794

If they get his weight right and if he can be coached up to be an impact hybrid DL/OLB ala Z, and the returns are just beginning to show a positive trend upward, then beware NFL. They can never have too many good players on the defensive front seven to cover for in-game, rotation, fatigue and anytime injuries.

True, with Gary still having to excel at outside linebacker in the NFL at this point the Packers shouldn't put too much on his plate in my opinion though.

Sky King

Reaction score
... I would have much preferred WR help over Gary this year...
While the offense is new to the incumbent WRs, it would also have been new territoryfor a rookie WR. It may have been the right time to inject new WR talent. The current mid-round or later (incumbent) WRs haven't exactly put the league on notice other than for their run-blocking skills but that's been pretty important to Aaron Jones success, too. A really good WR may have started to come into his own by this time in the season like Metcalf seems to be catching on for the Seahawks right now.

Being pro-WR when drafting instead of being pro-DL during the last draft may have paid off for the Packers by now provided that somebody trusted him. We'll never know.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the great 3-4 DE of his generation, JJ Watt is 6'5 and plays around 290lbs.... just an FYI.....

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As usually happens, the best teams (typically Belichik's Patriots) find ways to neutralize your best players. That puts all the pressure on "the other guys" to make the plays. Fackrell, Lancaster, and Lowry need to get home while the Smith's are focused upon. Kenny will be Kenny. Gary needs to find his way to make an impact.

While looking at the boxscore from the Seahawks game, I noticed that Ty Summers had two tackles and Montravious Adams logged a QB hit.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Montravious Adams logged a QB hit.

Adams play has been intriguing me more and more...I believe I'm finally seeing what the staff has been telling us about. Gonna be interesting to see how this young man keeps progressing.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point, but they could have gotten steam rolled. I'll have to look at the tape again and see how they actually played beyond their stats. The defense obviously held up for the win, so they didn't make any egregious mistakes.

D

Deleted member 6794

Adams play has been intriguing me more and more...I believe I'm finally seeing what the staff has been telling us about. Gonna be interesting to see how this young man keeps progressing.

Adams has actually been a disappointment this season.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If offense could have had just one long drive even if no points that should have helped a ton
From beginning to end, this is how our team has functioned. Look at the end of the Week 1 Bears victory. Our offense stalled, JK had the punt of a lifetime to pin the Bears, and yet again our defense had to hold the opponent from driving for the win.

It will likely be the same scenario in our victory or defeat this weekend and (hopefully) in two weeks.

Does anyone remember how cool it was when Eddie Lacy could pick up first downs at the end of 4th quarters?? Those were the days....

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the great 3-4 DE of his generation, JJ Watt is 6'5 and plays around 290lbs.... just an FYI.....

An important point though, is JJ's role has changed over time. He has been used as an over-sized EDGE defender a significant amount. And he's not a super-star at 3-technique like he is outside.

He's still good, but remember the first "Mock The Belt" game? The Packer's game plan was to stay out of base more or less entirely, because when the Texans went nickel, they slid JJ to 3-technique, just like we do. The decision was JJ was less dangerous there vs. on the edge, so they would "force" the Texans to keep him there.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching the 49ers front 7 dominate the last 2 weeks and in our 2 matchups this year, I really hope there is a spot for this guy next year to make our front 7 a real scary one. I don't care if he plays d/line, rotate Zadarius to ILB more plays so he can play OLB, Gary's athleticism is essential for a big season next year.

1-2 more moves this can be a damn good front 7 (as long as Pettine doesn't go Capers again in a big moment!!!!)

Thoughts?

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thoughts? Gary will have a good year when his contract is up. He was a 12, should have had an impact.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be too quick to move Z inside. We saw how much of a liability he was against the run vs the Niners. Taking on guards and centers on double teams may wear him down. The Packers need legitimate DT help by guys who can play the position play in and play out. They don't have a single guy who can play the 3 technique on the roster right now who is any good. Its a glaring weakness that was exploited all season and needs to be a top priority besides getting more WR help.