Gary's Role

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Out of curiosity what is his intended role supposed to be?

He hasn't looked bad at all yet this year but hasn't really had a lot of opportunities (hasn't really had to)

Could he replace Mike Daniels as a guy who can put his hand in the dirt and create some pressure?

That would be ideal if you just go with him and Clark.

Does he have the athletic flexibility to play ILB?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i forgot he was on the team lol
still like him and think he's gonna be good, but yeah, i forgot he was out there

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He hasn't looked bad at all yet this year but hasn't really had a lot of opportunities (hasn't really had to)

Could he replace Mike Daniels as a guy who can put his hand in the dirt and create some pressure?

ugh. he's a backup olb. he's doing what backups do. he's learning a new position and he's behind the smiths so he won't get much pt. trying to shoehorn him into another new position at this point of the season would be very counterproductive.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He's a base 3-4 outside linebacker who can rush anywhere from the 3T to the 9T in sub packages.

Thus far, he's shown all that athleticism and power and he's also show that he doesn't quite know how to harness it.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's shown to have the strength and athletic ability to play and he obviously has the size you are looking for.

With the Smith's looking incredible and as one of the great Packers Defensive FA signings, aside from Reggie White, Charles Woodson, but so far at least past Ryan Pickett, Al Harris, etc I don't think we will really "need" another OLBer...? hopefully that is.

The Smith's are on pace for a combined what like ~30 sacks LOL. Which would be FANTASTIC!!!

Wouldn't it be better to just stick a guy with Gary's size/strength/speed/athleticism at a DE spot opposite of Kenny Clark?? Or maybe even try some jumbo/elephant type LB spot

D

Deleted member 6794

Wouldn't it be better to just stick a guy with Gary's size/strength/speed/athleticism at a DE spot opposite of Kenny Clark?? Or maybe even try some jumbo/elephant type LB spot

Gary is best suited to line up at outside linebacker. Once he fully grasps how to be successful in the NFL he will receive more playing time with Zadarius moving inside.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary is best suited to line up at outside linebacker. Once he fully grasps how to be successful in the NFL he will receive more playing time with Zadarius moving inside.

His college career was at DE.

NFL.com

Five-star defensive end prospect coming into Michigan who leaves with those same five-star traits and loads of potential but a lack of development in key areas. Gary is a face-up rusher who seems content to hit tackles with bull-rush attempts rather than working the edges. He's explosive out of the blocks and in closing to the quarterback, and is just waiting for hand development and additional rush moves. His size, strength and motor could make him a plus run defender in short order. He has elite potential if a defensive coordinator can harness the energy and focus his approach.

WalterFootball.com

As a run defender, Gary is at his best when he uses his speed to get upfield and cause disruption, but he has a strong base to hold up at the point of attack. Gary is a very good pursuit defender, doing a nice job of flowing to the ball. He uses his speed to close with agility and strength to peel off blocks. With some development, Gary could become a well-balanced defender who is effective in both phases.

Draftnetwork.com

Rashan Gary is a versatile defender with the needed abilities to be a disruptive force working from 3T. Gary has the ability to set the edge vs. the run and can be worked on the outside sparingly, although his pass rush skills are best utilized in scenarios that allow him to play with linear angles and with his hips aligned behind his pads to optimize his power and quickness.

Am not sure we are using his versatility well. Well and good to convert a defensive end into a linebacker, but we need a proper DE more than a lineback now.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh fun, this conversation again!

A typical 4-3 DE has a very similar role to a 3-4 OLB. Which is why you often see the term 'edge'. So when people say you can't/shouldn't make a college DE into a OLB, they are wrong and talking with absolutes. There are distinctions.

A 3-4 DE will often line up as a 3T or 5T. I'd say those are the most common. Kenny Clark is usually a 0T or 1T.

Gary in college was usually a 8T or 9T, I honestly can't remember, but he typically had the role of edge contain against OT and TE. Basically, he played the run. It's a hard role, you don't see it a ton.

Gary plays a role very similar to Z Smith. Most commonly he will line up on the edge, or at 3T. I even saw him line up as the 3T against Carolina, do an initial rush, and then shallow drop, which I assume was to cover against a crosser and hook. Actually seemed to be effective enough to make Allen look elsewhere. Just a little twist from Pettine. Anyways, you'll see Gary do a lot of stunts on passing downs from either the edge or 3T.

So, to answer your question, he is actually lining up as a DE next to Clark (3T) and he is lining up as an OLB (edge) in a 3-4.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fun fact! A DE in a 3-4 is also typically a DT in a 4-3.

A DE in a 4-3 is typically an OLB in a 3-4.

An OLB in a 4-3 can also be a ILB in a 3-4.

A safety in base can be an ILB in dime.

Fun times!

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a base 3-4 outside linebacker who can rush anywhere from the 3T to the 9T in sub packages.

Thus far, he's shown all that athleticism and power and he's also show that he doesn't quite know how to harness it.

Oh I didn't see this.

This is a more concise summary of what I posted. Typical of a nerd.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point Gary is filling in for the Smiths as OLB and plays 7 -15 snaps per game. I think its fair to say he's a project and has barely contributed as the 12th pick in the draft. His single sack and 12 tackles in 10 games is what many predicted when he got drafted and that he would struggle as a rookie.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
At this point Gary is filling in for the Smiths as OLB and plays 7 -15 snaps per game. I think its fair to say he's a project and has barely contributed as the 12th pick in the draft. His single sack and 12 tackles in 10 games is what many predicted when he got drafted and that he would struggle as a rookie.
Or the packer brass knew what they got in a project and bringing him along slowly...that way in 2020 he can show his entire skill set.

And maybe his nagging injuries are just slowing him down a bit

But shhh know one knows???

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/bring...ff-347?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

According to Pro Football Focus, from week 6 to week 10, Gary was the Packers' most improved defensive player as his overall grade jumped 27.3 points during that span.

Against Washington, Chicago, and Minnesota, Gary has recorded five total pressures, with one sack and eight total tackles, two of which have been for a loss. He also put together the best game of his short career when facing the Bears as he totaled three tackles, one of which was for a loss, along with a sack. Oh, and did I mention that he did all of that with just 46 total defensive snaps over the last three games?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Z is a stud in situations inside, man....I could be wrong and obvious situations dictate it, but when we had the Smiths, Fackrell or Gary in with Clark or Lowry....the pressure we were creating was insane Monday night.

I think the Smiths in the long run are going to be the best thing ever for Gary to learn from...Gary is special...he learns to harness that skillset he was given from above something special could happen.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He isn't just behind the Smiths, but Fackrell 100% is ahead of him and is more refined and skilled technique wise than Gary. Gary is more physically gifted however.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He seems to only have a bull rush right now. He does it pretty well and maybe it is part of the D scheme. But I hope he can get a spin move.

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree with this simple take on Gary, and hopeful that he is learning the ropes behind some great role models in the Smith Bros. He has obvious physical gifts, and has flashed the ability to both set the edge and rush the QB.

He seems a best fit as an "elephant" OLB playing on the strong side of the offense and rushing/setting the edge more often than dropping into coverage.

I guess the key questions are- Does he have the heart to work his a** off seeking greatness? and Does he have the attitude to become a future leader on a winning team?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I asked myself the same thing Monday night.

Last edited by a moderator:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's simply not going to get the snaps with the smith's being as dominant as they are. he's taking snaps from fackrell. it's no big deal.
This is when coaches try to figure out if he can play another position. Although you do not like to mess with a young kid.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
he's simply not going to get the snaps with the smith's being as dominant as they are. he's taking snaps from fackrell. it's no big deal.

Lately he's been taking snaps from guys like Lowry, Adams, and Keke.

They've mainly been using him to replace Z on the edge, so that the latter can become an interior rusher.

Members online

Latest posts