1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gary's Role

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers Fan Forum' started by PackinMSP, Oct 26, 2019.

1. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Packer Fan Since:
    Capt..

I think you basing the need for a different 12th pick on hindsight.

At the time it appears they felt what they had on offense should have worked..

plus I'm willing to bet they felt the new additions on defense made them feel that the lb core would be better..

It was a gamble that didn't pan out.

2. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I'm quite sure I posted that I didn't like the Packers spending the 12th pick on an outside linebacker after signing the Smiths in free agency right after the selection was made.

3. longtimefan

Packer Fan Since:
    He won't need surgery and the harness will come off

4. RRyder

RRyder Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    How is it hindsight when many predicted Gary would have this exact type of impact his rookie year when he was drafted?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. longtimefan

Packer Fan Since:
    Because I didn't know he stated that?

That's why I said I think.

6. PackinMSP

PackinMSP Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    None of us really know for sure what goes in practice and scheming and behind closed doors so we can't really know why he hasn't really gotten more playing time.

My main question is, you have two great OLBers and one back up (Fackrell) who might start elsewhere

Why not move Gary around and make some use/value of the pick??

Gary played DE in college I believe and so why not give him some snaps there and give him that Elephant role?

I think many people who had wanted Hockenson or Fant(because he was available at that pick) will really start to scream soon as Fant had a solid rookie year

But honestly the NFL draft is such a damn crapshoot

7. Dantés

Dantés Gute Loot

Packer Fan Since:
    Fackrell is almost certainly gone next year, meaning that Gary will be in line for a lot more snaps.

Gary himself played 244 snaps on defense (23%) this year. Fackrell played 415 (40%). If all he does is pick up Fackrell's snap share, he will be a 60+% player. He will be the primary guy to spell the Smith's, and the three of them will be on the field quite a bit as Za'Darius roves and rushes from the interior.

8. mradtke66

mradtke66 Cheesehead

In this context, an elephant is just a 3-4 OLB that puts his hand in the ala a more traditional 4-3 DE. 3-4 DEs are effectively defensive tackles. His college role more closely translates to our OLB.

I'd rather Gary not get moved around much. Let him get good at one thing first.

9. PackinMSP

PackinMSP Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I definitely agree with what ya'll are saying.

Z is kind of moved around a bunch and he does a TERRIFIC job at that and generating pressures and getting sacks

I think what i'm more concerned about is a Datone Jones situation again, where IMHO we should have just kept him at DE (what he played in college), I also think he was most effective playing DE his first year with us before we converted him. Regarding sacks at least.

The elephant position is where I just see his skillset being a perfect fit with his size/speed/athleticism combo

10. PackinMSP

PackinMSP Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    All things considered, I think we're an ILB (or two) and MAYBE a DE away from being a REALLY, REALLY, truly elite D next year

11. gbgary

gbgary Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    ilb and dt. de/edge is not a problem. it's the middle that needs attention.

12. PackinMSP

PackinMSP Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    By "DE" i'm referring to a 3-4 DL... You can call them DT, NT, DE, etc... but i'm referring to the same thing

13. gopkrs

gopkrs Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    You can call an interior lineman a defensive end? Don't think so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Dantés

Dantés Gute Loot

Packer Fan Since:
    3-4 defensive ends are more similar to interior linemen than edge rushers.

Dean Lowry, for instance, is a 3-4 defensive end. However, we don't often align in a true 3-4 front, so you don't often see him in that role.

15. gopkrs

gopkrs Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I would call Lowry a defensive tackle. Just like I would not call Martinez a safety just because he might cover someone deep. There are so many "looks" that you can call anyone anything almost. Maybe Clark would line up as a DE but he is still a nose tackle. For someone to say they want to draft a DE but really he means a DT...can get a little confusing.:( DTs and outside LBs are pass rushers for the most part. A DT is a run stuffer for the most part.

16. PackerFanLV

PackerFanLV Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I think the packers drafted Gary to be a von miller type player but his power is just not there yet. He has some growing to do.

17. PackinMSP

PackinMSP Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    LOL. Those are pretty huge shoes to fill right there.

I'm just hoping the Packers FO and Coaching staff avoid another Datone Jones type of scenario

18. gbgary

gbgary Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    ...and arguably the teams two best defensive players (one for sure) ahead of him.

19. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    It's pretty obvious that Gary hasn't received more snaps because of the way the Smiths have performed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sanguine camper

Sanguine camper Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Gary hasn't received more snaps because of his lack of production. Preston Smith's production has fallen towards the end of the season likely due some fatigue where he could actually benefit from more snaps for Gary. The problem that I see is that too often he gets zero pressure and his side of the pocket is clean. After he was drafted, many posters were chagrined about the pick because of his poor college performance. It would sure look good right now had Gute pickrd DK Metcaf with the 12 th pick!

21. PackinMSP

PackinMSP Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I honestly feel like Gute picked Gary more to appease Mike Pettine and to ensure a good defense

The D has been great this year aside from a few games, our numbers would be better if our O hasn't let us down so badly in a few games in which the D then got tired and basically broke down and got gashed

I just pray this isn't Datone Jones 2.0

22. longtimefan

Packer Fan Since:

23. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I think Gary has been pretty productive when he gets in. I'm ok with how they're bringing him along. 2 studs in front. and he's allowing ZSmith to be moved around more and making the defense better in situations.

24. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Stop. Just stop.

For someone to say the Smiths (literally killing it) production is not the reason is erroneous. Also Preston's sack totals have dropped but I actually have loved not seeing him sell out as much and has been doing his job of holding the edge much better than at the beginning of the season.

Gary in his snaps/chances has done more than what I'd expect out of rookie, perhaps not as well as I'd hope or expect out of a 12 overall pick..but I mean stop.

• Like Like x 1
  25. PackinMSP

PackinMSP Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:

Yeah I like the usage too but we will have to really hope for a bigger jump in Year 2

I think having all 3 on D at the same time with Z being moved around is ultimately what will be ideal