Game 2 - What are you looking for?

H

HardRightEdge

NFL defenses figuring out a way how to defend the spread option offense was the reason for it to went like the wind at the pro level.
No, the reason it went like the wind is the same reason QBs are coached to slide before contact on a scramble and the same reason running backs have short careers.

QBs represent expensive talent, typically with a big fall off in talent when going to the bench. Using the QB as a ball carrier runs the risk of losing the season and somebody getting fired.

D

Deleted member 6794

Absolutely, guess how many minor league baseball, d league basketball and sub league NHL games I have watched because their respective parent league thinks they are important enough to be televised...

Well, in that case you should love the NFL preseason as the league considers it important enough to televise all 65 games. ;)

No, the reason it went like the wind is the same reason QBs are coached to slide before contact on a scramble and the same reason running backs have short careers.

QBs represent expensive talent, typically with a big fall off in talent when going to the bench. Using the QB as a ball carrier runs the risk of losing the season and somebody getting fired.

It would be extremely tough to hit the quarterback if defenses hadn´t figured out how to stop it by now though.

Canadian football has been around that long?! wow...

Well, actually I made a mistake there as the CFL wasn´t founded until 1958. The Grey Cup has been played for over 100 years though.

Reaction score
I just realized that in 2005, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees (GB vs. San Diego) finished the day with a COMBINED total of... 4/12 for 34 yards and 1 INT during the first preseason game that year. While preseason is fun to watch.. I'm not putting too much emphasis on these performances. I'd like to see some undrafted FA and 7th rounders etc.. turn it on and exceed everyone's expectations, but moreso I just want to get out of these games without any significant injuries.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably look for my beer or my smartphone or remote. Always lose those things. Hopefully we see more rookie backs since ty needs some healing time.

D

Deleted member 6794

I just realized that in 2005, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees (GB vs. San Diego) finished the day with a COMBINED total of... 4/12 for 34 yards and 1 INT during the first preseason game that year. While preseason is fun to watch.. I'm not putting too much emphasis on these performances. I'd like to see some undrafted FA and 7th rounders etc.. turn it on and exceed everyone's expectations, but moreso I just want to get out of these games without any significant injuries.

I agree that there's no reason to put any stock into preseason stats but I'm still looking for players to step up at positions of concern as well as guys on the roster bubble separating themselves from their competition.

H

HardRightEdge

It would be extremely tough to hit the quarterback if defenses hadn´t figured out how to stop it by now though.
Don't be silly. No one would expect an NFL option QB to get out of bound or untouched to the end zone on every run. That only happened once. :eek:

D

Deleted member 6794

No one would expect an NFL option QB to get out of bound or untouched to the end zone on every run. That only happened once. :eek:

I´m convinced that teams would risk their option quarterback getting hurt if defenses hadn´t caught up to the scheme by now.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Hundley is a great backup to have for Rodgers. Wonder if he may be groomed by Rodgers just like Aaron was groomed by Brett Favre. Look at where #12 is at!

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Number one offenses and defenses looked good.

Good game for Hundley. Spriggs had another rough night.
I was happy with the showing of some of our young players. From what I watched, Clark pushed the pocket and looked good, Randall looked very good, King made some nice tackles in zone coverage and Fackrell made an excellent read on a screen.

The run blocking does not look good at all. There isn't much of a point in bringing in 3 rookie RBs if the OL can't create any openings. The backup OL looked quite rough for the most part, and Hundley did an exceptional job.

Rodgers looked like a well-seasoned vet and very comfortable, and Bennett had a drop, but showed what a mismatch he could be with his TD haul.

I don't like that Nelson is playing in the preseason, since we absolutely cannot afford to lose him. But Rollins seems improved, House seems to be at least functional in a defensive secondary, and King has flashed ability to contribute as a rookie, and potentially become a mainstay.
Hundley is a great backup to have for Rodgers. Wonder if he may be groomed by Rodgers just like Aaron was groomed by Brett Favre. Look at where #12 is at!
AR is a rare specimen who absolutely owes no dues to Favre, especially considering he takes few risky chances compared to his predecessor. There are very few great QBs in the league, so it as a matter of nature, not nurture.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
Well King showed up and had a pretty good game....

Jamaal Williams?......:cautious:

I hope this is just a "nerves" thing, because he's looked awful. I had so much hope for him going into the preseason and it's been a total DUD. Granted we don't exactly have a line built for run domination, but come on! He's gotta produce better results than the two abortions he's orchestrated in the last two games.

D

Deleted member 6794

With Rodgers planning on playing into his 40s it´s all but a given that Hundley will leave either via trade or in free agency over the next two years.

From what I watched, Clark pushed the pocket and looked good, Randall looked very good, King made some nice tackles in zone coverage and Fackrell made an excellent read on a screen.

Randall didn´t play because of a concussion.

Jamaal Williams?......:cautious:

I hope this is just a "nerves" thing, because he's looked awful. I had so much hope for him going into the preseason and it's been a total DUD. Granted we don't exactly have a line built for run domination, but come on! He's gotta produce better results than the two abortions he's orchestrated in the last two games.

I completely disagree that Williams has looked awful. The offensive line strugglin blocking for the run is main reason he hasn´t been able to put up better numbers.

If he wasn't a high pick, he'd be in danger of not making the roster.

True, especially as Thompson gave up three picks to trade up to select him.

OP
OP
Candidate for Deletion
Reaction score
I completely disagree that Williams has looked awful. The offensive line strugglin blocking for the run is main reason he hasn´t been able to put up better numbers.
Even so, he looked really bad. Run blocking was a factor, and I'm not selling low on Williams at all - it's his second preseason game, and he barely got workin his first after all - but there were a ton of running yards left on the field by our new rookie RB. Not what I was hoping to see. Still optimistic and patient with him, though.

If he wasn't a high pick, he'd be in danger of not making the roster.
Is he still eligible for the PS? If so, aint NOBODY snatching him up off of it. I'd rather open up a slot for a different developmental guy. Spriggs didn't even look athletic or promising or anything, he just looked bad and bad and bad.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs would last all of 15 minutes on the practice squad before another team took him.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs gave me the only serious heartburn of the night, he looks terrible.
I haven't seen either PS game or been to any practices so this is speculation only... is it possible he's regressed because he's trying to apply techniques/mindsets that coaches are pumping into him? Is he "thinking too much" trying to make footwork or hand placement changes rather than just relying on pure athleticism?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen either PS game or been to any practices so this is speculation only... is it possible he's regressed because he's trying to apply techniques/mindsets that coaches are pumping into him? Is he "thinking too much" trying to make footwork or hand placement changes rather than just relying on pure athleticism?
I think what you say is very possible. The problem I have with him at the moment is that he is sooo passive. He immediately falls back on his heels and waits for the def. end to either bull rush and run him over or circle around him on either side. And he does not seem to know what to do with his hands.

OP
OP
Candidate for Deletion
Reaction score
Spriggs would last all of 15 minutes on the practice squad before another team took him.
How can you even try to legitimize that given how he has looked? Just because of how highly he was drafted? Dude has looked like pure garbage with zero upside since he entered the NFL. I'm all about giving him time to develop and being patient with OL development, but dude does not in any way merit a roster spot at this stage 2nd year pro, and looking like a UDFA in tryouts.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the same reason people who said we needed to dump Davante after a bad 2nd year need to learn to sit on their hands. You don't judge a guy on a mediocre rookie season and 2 preseason games. Especially when you've invested heavily in him. Guys like Spriggs at a position as critical as OT aren't going to last 2 seconds on the PS. Some OL needy team is going to snatch him up and laugh to the bank. Is he going to pan out? Heck if I know. But you don't just dump a guy with his potential early in his second year on a rookie salary.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts