Game 2 - What are you looking for?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It is a hell of a lot better than the turd pile you watch during preseason.
The point is, it would be worse without shaking at least some rust off during preseason games. Eliminate preseason games, and the 1st half of the season would be an absolute joke of a product.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see the second team O-Line, particularly the OTs, to actually block somebody. The Eagles first rounder Barnett was killing Spriggs. Murphy wasn't much better.

I'd like to see more of the run game, but it may still be too early for that. A top priority in preseason is don't get guys injured. No position is more susceptible than running back. At this point the guys who get the most snaps may be the guys at the bottom of the pecking order.

I liked the speed, aggressiveness and pursuit out of the DBs last week. They're probably going to get a heavy dose of Colt McCoy which is not an especially good test of coverage ability. Nonetheless, you want to see them limit separation and not leave guys wide open in zone as the starting crew has been prone to do.
I know Spriggs looked bad vs Eagles. But I believe that is testament to how good Derek Barnett is going to be in this league not how bad Spriggs is. I see Barnett in the same class as Mack and Miller eventually. I predict Barnett has 10 sacks this year. I still believe Spriggs can be a very solid Tackle in this league!

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The RB's get more playing time.
Spriggs looking more confident and holding the point of attack.
Hundley and Callahan looking sharp.
King to do more bump and run with the WR.
Someone distinguish themselves among the WR's.

Last edited:

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to see more footwork in the pocket from Hundley. That was his biggest improvement I see from last year. But he still seems to throw bad balls now and again.

Want to see both Aaron Jones and Devante Mays to get bunch of carries and see what they can do with a big plate of carries.

They should sit Bak and Bulaga and give Spriggs and Murphy much needed reps.

Who takes the lead in the WR battle. Janis? Clark? McCaffrey? Or Yancey? Personally I see Nelson, Adams, Gmo, Cobb, Davis and Yancey as #6 WR. Making it a battle for last spot between Janis, Clark, McCaffrey and Dupree.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a hell of a lot better than the turd pile you watch during preseason.
and that's because at least half the snaps, most likely closer to 75%-90% of the snaps are taken to give lower roster spot guys reps and to evaluate the young guys in live competition that will round out your #3,4,5 guys on depth charts. You say it's not important, but I have a feeling there's more than a few NFL front offices that would beg to differ. It's not about putting a finished product out there in the preseason, not even a little bit. It's about all the things you say it's not for. It is about evaluation, not only of individuals, but how those individuals work with others around them. It's also about providing opportunity for younger guys to get better and for veteran guys to get back in the swing of things.

The only way to get better playing is to play. Doesn't matter if you're in middle school football for the first time, or 10th year vet in the NFL. nothing gets you in game shape like playing games. Everybody looks better in week 5 than they do in week 1 minus injury. Plenty of guys, every year look like world beaters in shorts and helmets and every year it changes once the preseason starts. they might shine in practice, they dull with live bullets. and likewise, many so so practice players perform with the lights on and come alive. Practice can tell you a lot, it doesn't tell you everything. The fact that people buy tickets and go watch doesn't diminish that fact. If there were played inside cut off from the public i can promise that coaches and front office want to see live competition. Why do you think so many teams had scrimmages back when they could? I watched the Saints and Chiefs often in summers in LaX. live play is good for players and evaluation as well. or they wouldnt' do it. Now the CBA doesn't hardly allow for it. I'd argue the pre season games mean a lot more than they used to for evaluations. It's easy to get rid of the money grab. Don't watch? I like to see how the young guys are doing myself.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I would agree that Clinton-Dix does not get to sideline deep balls often enough. 16 passes defended over 3 seasons is not a good number even if the Packers play a lot of single-high safety limiting opportunities often alternating in that spot with Burnett. Clinton-Dix and Burnett are both hybrid free/strong safeties who tend to look best the closer to the line of scrimmage they play. Brice is kinda in that same mold but more SS than coverage safety. We assume for now Jones is an SS/ILB.

I would not expect this approach to personnel to change under Capers. He likes to move his safeties forward and back pre-snap to change the look or to blitz. He just likes his some hybrids. Whether Evans can be one of those guys remains to be seen; we just have not seen enough of him.
Imo, Randall has the tools to be that deep safety we lack.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know Spriggs looked bad vs Eagles. But I believe that is testament to how good Derek Barnett is going to be in this league not how bad Spriggs is. I see Barnett in the same class as Mack and Miller eventually. I predict Barnett has 10 sacks this year. I still believe Spriggs can be a very solid Tackle in this league!

While it's possible Barnett turns into a bona fide NFL player I'm a bit worried about moving forward with Spriggs being the primary backup at both tackle spots as he has struggled mightily whenever put on the field during his short stint with the Packers.

Agreed, but for some reason the coaching staff has been reluctant putting Randall there.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and that's because at least half the snaps, most likely closer to 75%-90% of the snaps are taken to give lower roster spot guys reps and to evaluate the young guys in live competition that will round out your #3,4,5 guys on depth charts. You say it's not important, but I have a feeling there's more than a few NFL front offices that would beg to differ. It's not about putting a finished product out there in the preseason, not even a little bit. It's about all the things you say it's not for. It is about evaluation, not only of individuals, but how those individuals work with others around them. It's also about providing opportunity for younger guys to get better and for veteran guys to get back in the swing of things.

The only way to get better playing is to play. Doesn't matter if you're in middle school football for the first time, or 10th year vet in the NFL. nothing gets you in game shape like playing games. Everybody looks better in week 5 than they do in week 1 minus injury. Plenty of guys, every year look like world beaters in shorts and helmets and every year it changes once the preseason starts. they might shine in practice, they dull with live bullets. and likewise, many so so practice players perform with the lights on and come alive. Practice can tell you a lot, it doesn't tell you everything. The fact that people buy tickets and go watch doesn't diminish that fact. If there were played inside cut off from the public i can promise that coaches and front office want to see live competition. Why do you think so many teams had scrimmages back when they could? I watched the Saints and Chiefs often in summers in LaX. live play is good for players and evaluation as well. or they wouldnt' do it. Now the CBA doesn't hardly allow for it. I'd argue the pre season games mean a lot more than they used to for evaluations. It's easy to get rid of the money grab. Don't watch? I like to see how the young guys are doing myself.
While I understand and agree with what you are saying I am of the opinion that watching lower tier guys compete against each other only tells you if they are better than each other which is completely meaningless as that is not the level of competition that they will face on Sunday's.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that's too simplistic. While partly true, there are times when a young guy will be matched up on someone that will test them. Spriggs against Barnett for example. It's not so much about do our 3rd stringers beat theirs it's about does Hawkins show a grasp of the defense and can make changes in the flow of the play according to how we've taught him reads. It's more individual than it is team, at least for me in the preseason. For much of the games anyway, but there is a part of guys that have been thru it all before getting their sea legs back so to speak. Those guys you want to see get in a flow and to a degree. it's different things for different players. Not only in physical growth but mental growth and then there is just putting player A in a positions he's never been in before and see how he responds. I used to hate the preseason. Maybe i'm desperate, but i've come to find an appreciation in watching them that I didn't have before. Mostly because I don't watch them with the perception that winning or losing plays means much, but instead I watch players and see if they win or lose the play against their man.

H

HardRightEdge

The problems is that Spriggs did not look much better when other guys were in there. Bad feet.

H

HardRightEdge

I've been saying that for a couple of years now. It won't happen in Green Bay, anyway. He'll put in his 4 years then maybe somebody else will see it that way.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King to show some improvement.
Hundley to show the world his good talent.
No Injuries
More Trevor Davis returns
Some Rodgers action
This is pretty much my list, except I would add that I would like to see a cohesive secondary. I tired of them giving up big plays and looking at each other totally confused.

Reaction score
I know it's tough to get adequate snaps in preseason, but I believe Jamaal Williams will shine in the spotlight given enough opportunities to carry in a game. McCarthy pointed out that during the first preseason game the Eagles stacked the box quite often dedicated to stop the run. I don't think that will happen as often against #12 and his arsenal. I hope we don't make the mistake of using him for say 6-8 carries a game regular season or we may be disappointed. I also see both Jamaal and Monty being used as a dual threat with short catches in open space and I think both are formidable when getting past the DL

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been saying that for a couple of years now. It won't happen in Green Bay, anyway. He'll put in his 4 years then maybe somebody else will see it that way.

As a small market D&D team the pre season is a key time to evaluate players, I agree with you. Personally I wish we could have an additional pre season game just to test out some of the scrubs.

D

Deleted member 6794

As a small market D&D team the pre season is a key time to evaluate players, I agree with you. Personally I wish we could have an additional pre season game just to test out some of the scrubs.

There's absolutely no need for another preseason games as four of them are definitely enough to fairly evaluate the bottom of the roster.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm not sure what "small market" has do with anything. And I'm going to throw the flag on D&D as an obscure reference. "**** and dunk?" "Dudes and Dudettes?" "Dumb and Dumber"?

By the way, the 4th. quarter is all scrubs. Everybody gets some snaps.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There's absolutely no need for another preseason games as four of them are definitely enough to fairly evaluate the bottom of the roster.
Agree. I'm of the opinion that a 14 game regular season is better than 16 with the current 46 man game day roster.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
While I understand and agree with what you are saying I am of the opinion that watching lower tier guys compete against each other only tells you if they are better than each other which is completely meaningless as that is not the level of competition that they will face on Sunday's.
One question with a follow-up.
Did you / do you watch the preseason games? If so, since you feel that way, why? If not, what are ya *****in' about?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure what "small market" has do with anything. And I'm going to throw the flag on D&D as an obscure reference. "**** and dunk?" "Dudes and Dudettes?" "Dumb and Dumber"?

By the way, the 4th. quarter is all scrubs. Everybody gets some snaps.

GB isn't known for being a desirable place to play, atleast not to players from other teams. D&D for draft and develop.

H

HardRightEdge

GB isn't known for being a desirable place to play, atleast not to players from other teams. D&D for draft and develop.
I would not attribute "draft and develop" to the fact players do not want to play in Green Bay. For some that would be the case. Others not. There are a lot of fish in the sea.

D&D is draft and develop? I beg to differ. It's "Dungeons and Dragons." Even I knew that and I've never played it.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm of the opinion that a 14 game regular season is better than 16 with the current 46 man game day roster.
The NFL will never, ever shorten the season. I see a 17 game season coming as revenue flattens. The league seems adamant about not diluting the playoffs with sub-500 teams as is often the case in the NBA and NHL. You knew all that.

As for the 46 man game day roster, that's not so relevant. It's the other 7 spots and the PS that provide the injury backups in a long season. The NFL has recognized the need in recent years by expanding the PS and liberalizing the rules that keep a guy there.

From an enterprise standpoint, whether a guy can be signed off somebody else's practice squad (the anti-stashing provision) is irrelevant. The object is to have a league-wide body of players with training in NFL football.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One question with a follow-up.
Did you / do you watch the preseason games? If so, since you feel that way, why? If not, what are ya *****in' about?
I did but no longer and I am *****ing because I want real football, not fake money grab preseason football! By the way the NFL should have a developmental league just like all the other major sports.

H

HardRightEdge

By the way the NFL should have a developmental league just like all the other major sports.
They've tried that. It was called NFL Europe. It had a few problems. First, it did not produce many players. Second, they were going for a two-fer in trying to drum up interest in NFL football for future expansion. Third, relating to the second, is it didn't work and was a money losing proposition. I don't think Europe produced many more players than the few that come out of the Arena league or Canada, and those other leagues don't cost the NFL a dime.

Besides, they have premier unofficial developmental leagues that also don't cost a dime: the SEC, PAC 12 and Big Ten. Alabama alone probably has 30 future NFL players on their roster, not a few of whom will go in the first round. They could beat Cleveland and that's not a joke.

Members online

Latest posts