Game 2 - What are you looking for?

D

Deleted member 6794

Agree. I'm of the opinion that a 14 game regular season is better than 16 with the current 46 man game day roster.

I'm absolutely fine with a 16 game regular season but don't want the league to add further games.

GB isn't known for being a desirable place to play, atleast not to players from other teams.

I think that's a lame excuse for the front office not using free agency more frequently.

I did but no longer and I am *****ing because I want real football, not fake money grab preseason football! By the way the NFL should have a developmental league just like all the other major sports.

Let me get this straight, you don't want to watch lower tier players during the preseason but are advocating for a developmental league featuring exactly those guys???

They've tried that. It was called NFL Europe. It had a few problems. First, it did not produce many players. I don't think Europe produced many more players than the few that come out of the Arena league or Canada, and those other leagues don't cost the NFL a dime.

NFL Europe developed two Super Bowl winning starting quarterbacks in Kurt Warner and Brad Johnson. In addition Jake Delhomme started in another one, Adam Vinatieri turned into the best clutch kicker of all time and James Harrison has been an elite player for over a decade.

I don't believe that many successful players have come out of the CFL or Arena league.

H

HardRightEdge

NFL Europe developed two Super Bowl winning starting quarterbacks in Kurt Warner and Brad Johnson. In addition Jake Delhomme started in another one, Adam Vinatieri turned into the best clutch kicker of all time and James Harrison has been an elite player for over a decade.
Brad who? NFL Europe lasted 16 years; running an entire league to develop one top player every two or three years did not justify it's costs in the eyes of the NFL. The purpose of NFL Europe was two-fold; player development was secondary. In the NFL's dreams, the league would take off, be a money-making venture, and one day evolve to compete with American teams. That wasn't happening.

The CFL produced Warren Moon, Joe Theismann, Doug Flutie, Jeff Garcia, Cameron Wake, Brandon Browner and Joe Horn, among others.

As noted, these players and the few out of the Arena league did not cost the NFL a dime. But most importantly, as noted previously, college football is the ultimate developmental league, the equivalent of rookie, A, AA and AAA ball all wrapped into one free source of talent.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
They've tried that. It was called NFL Europe. It had a few problems. First, it did not produce many players. Second, they were going for a two-fer in trying to drum up interest in NFL football for future expansion. Third, relating to the second, is it didn't work and was a money losing proposition. I don't think Europe produced many more players than the few that come out of the Arena league or Canada, and those other leagues don't cost the NFL a dime.

Besides, they have premier unofficial developmental leagues that also don't cost a dime: the SEC, PAC 12 and Big Ten. Alabama alone probably has 30 future NFL players on their roster, not a few of whom will go in the first round. They could beat Cleveland and that's not a joke.
Agree with much of your post. Totally disagree with your last sentence. Cleveland would destroy Alabama. There is a huge difference between kiddie ball and the men's league.

H

HardRightEdge

Agree with much of your post. Totally disagree with your last sentence. Cleveland would destroy Alabama. There is a huge difference between kiddie ball and the men's league.
The sheer talent on an Alabama team would overwhelm the experience of a lousy pro team.

In this past draft, 9 Alabama players went in the top 79 picks, 10 total, and who knows how many RDFAs on 90 man rosters who have at least a shot.

While this was a particularly fruitful batch, for the sake of argument multiply those numbers x 4. That gives you some idea of the talent in 4 classes currently on the roster. In such a theoretical contest, I would assume they would be playing Alabama schemes under Alabama coaches running that spread stuff. I believe it would be close and Alabama would win.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

The CFL produced Warren Moon, Joe Theismann, Doug Flutie, Jeff Garcia, Cameron Wake, Brandon Browner and Joe Horn, among others.

As noted, these players and the few out of the Arena league did not cost the NFL a dime. But most importantly, as noted previously, college football is the ultimate developmental league, the equivalent of rookie, A, AA and AAA ball all wrapped into one free source of talent.

It's true the NFL Europe didn't work out as planned but nevertheless produced some decent talent, especially considering the CFL has been in place for close to 100 years.

The sheer talent on an Alabama team would overwhelm the experience of a lousy pro team.

In this past draft, 9 Alabama players went in the top 79 picks, 10 total, and who knows how many RDFAs on 90 man rosters who have at least a shot.

While this was a particularly fruitful batch, for the sake argument multiply those numbers x 4. That gives you some idea of the talent in 4 classes currently on the roster. In such a theoretical contest, I would assume they would be playing Alabama schemes under Alabama coaches running that spread stuff. I believe it would be close and Alabama would win.

I highly doubt Alabama would stand a chance against the Browns, considering only 55 players have been drafted out of Tuscaloosa during the Nick Saban era since 2007, with only half of those guys turning into at least one year starters in the NFL.

H

HardRightEdge

It's true the NFL Europe didn't work out as planned but nevertheless produced some decent talent, especially considering the CFL has been in place for close to 100 years.
The 49er's alone signed 2 CFL guys to their squad this year. I only know that because I seem to recall they had a pretty good OL guy out of Canada a few years back and that's what popped up on a search.

H

HardRightEdge

I highly doubt Alabama would stand a chance against the Browns, considering only 55 players have been drafted out of Tuscaloosa during the Nick Saban era since 2007, with only half of those guys turning into at least one year starters in the NFL.
You underestimate how bad the Browns can be. 10 drafted this year, 7 the year before. He seems to have stepped up recruiting in the last few years. I would also not underestimate a culture of winning vs. a culture of losing.

D

Deleted member 6794

The 49er's alone signed 2 CFL guys to their squad this year. I only know that because I seem to recall they had a pretty good OL guy out of Canada a few years back and that's what popped up on a search.

I´m quite sure a lot of NFL teams signed players from their European developmental league as well.

You underestimate how bad the Browns can be. 10 drafted this year, 7 the year before. He seems to have stepped up recruiting in the last few years. I would also not underestimate a culture of winning vs. a culture of losing.

On the other hand you seem to underestimate the talent level on an NFL roster compared to even elite college teams.t

He might but I think Josh jones has ever better tools as well as size. Randall is 196 pounds he's gonna get injured a lot unless he plays corner

Jones is light years away from being a decent free safety at the pro level.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
NFL conditioning program, NFL level talent across the roster, NFL level veteran experience, NFL offseason program all around, NFL coaching staffs top to bottom, NFL competition v.s. college level competition, overall age difference/maturity level from personalities to fully formed adult bodies.

Need I go further?

OP
OP
Candidate for Deletion
Reaction score
I think he was talking about the college football establishment being around for 100 years? Not sure of his intent, tbh.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I'm looking for production out of the RB's and the CB play. Not a whole lot else at this point.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll let others carry on this debate. I've had this debate before with two different guys from two different SEC states. Both debates were ended with asking the opinion of former NFL players that had successful 6-12 year NFL careers. They both said the difference in physicality and game knowledge is so totally overwhelming.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would absolutely like for Aaron Rodgers to play in 2 preseason games, and 2-3 series in each.
Until he gets blindsided by some rookie UDFA trying to make a team. ;)

With the passing of each season and watching as AR ages, I'm starting to fine with him not seeing too much preseason action and being needlessly exposed to injury. As we all know, if AR goes down, so do the Packers chances at winning.

A fine line between getting AR and his offense tuned up for the regular season with some preseason snaps and possibly seeing Hundley be your open day starter.

Have to bow to the coaching staff to know just how much preseason action AR needs to be fully ready.

H

HardRightEdge

I'll let others carry on this debate. I've had this debate before with two different guys from two different SEC states. Both debates were ended with asking the opinion of former NFL players that had successful 6-12 year NFL careers. They both said the difference in physicality and game knowledge is so totally overwhelming.
Were those players aware of how bad Cleveland is? Besides, those players would of course want to believe that 6-12 years in the NFL would make them overwhelming, otherwise why pay them? That does not represent an impartial opinion.

As for game knowledge, Alabama players know how to run a spread option offense. Do Cleveland defenders know how to defend it? Probably not. It came and went in the NFL like the wind, as some of us predicted. Alabama is probably a faster team which certainly matters.

H

HardRightEdge

I´m quite sure a lot of NFL teams signed players from their European developmental league as well.
You know, it dawns on me that the NFL was working at cross purposes with NFL Europe. Using it as a developmental league stripped it of its best players which would dampen nascent fan enthusiasm for the game in general which is what they were trying to build. That would be one cause of failure.

H

HardRightEdge

NFL conditioning program, NFL level talent across the roster, NFL level veteran experience, NFL offseason program all around, NFL coaching staffs top to bottom, NFL competition v.s. college level competition, overall age difference/maturity level from personalities to fully formed adult bodies.

Need I go further?
Yes. Cleveland is a really bad football team with a losing tradition. You can't underestimate the importance of players expecting to lose.

Now, were the two teams to play a 16 game series over 17 weeks, I'm sure Cleveland would win the series. What often separates and NFL player from those who fail are durability, adaptability to new schemes, film study and opposition prep week in and week out, mental and physical stamina for the grind of a long season, and not being a paid in the a*s troublemaker or suspension risk. An NFL season runs 20 - 24 games. Acclimating to the length of the season is one of the biggest hurdles for a rookie.

But that's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about one game.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You know, it dawns on me that the NFL was working at cross purposes with NFL Europe. Using it as a developmental league stripped it of its best players which would dampen nascent fan enthusiasm for the game in general which is what they were trying to build. That would be one cause of failure.

Besides not being able to turn a profit, the Europe league was pretty much a failure at producing NFL talent. Unlike the minor leagues in baseball, NFL Europe just seemed to be "another place to play football" for those guys who just weren't good enough for the NFL, before or after playing in Europe. Attendance wasn't too bad (20,000 or so/game), but I am guessing there was very little TV or corporate sponsor revenue, which is where the NFL makes much of its profits.

Besides Kurt Warner, James Harrison, Fridge Perry and Adam Vinatieri, not much came out of the league in 17 years of negative profits to each NFL team.

H

HardRightEdge

Besides not being able to turn a profit, the Europe league was pretty much a failure at producing NFL talent. Unlike the minor leagues in baseball, NFL Europe just seemed to be "another place to play football" for those guys who just weren't good enough for the NFL, before or after playing in Europe. Attendance wasn't too bad (20,000 or so/game), but I am guessing there was very little TV or corporate sponsor revenue, which is where the NFL makes much of its profits.

Besides Kurt Warner, James Harrison, Fridge Perry and Adam Vinatieri, not much came out of the league in 17 years of negative profits to each NFL team.
And to think the NFL drafted 15 Alabama players in the top 79 picks over the last two drafts. ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

Until he gets blindsided by some rookie UDFA trying to make a team. ;)

With the passing of each season and watching as AR ages, I'm starting to fine with him not seeing too much preseason action and being needlessly exposed to injury. As we all know, if AR goes down, so do the Packers chances at winning.

A fine line between getting AR and his offense tuned up for the regular season with some preseason snaps and possibly seeing Hundley be your open day starter.

Have to bow to the coaching staff to know just how much preseason action AR needs to be fully ready.

I would like Rodgers to receive more playing time during the preseason, especially as it´s possible to minimize the risk of him getting hurt by predominantly using quick throws. That would most likely improve the timing of the offense entering the regular season.

As for game knowledge, Alabama players know how to run a spread option offense. Do Cleveland defenders know how to defend it? Probably not. It came and went in the NFL like the wind, as some of us predicted.

NFL defenses figuring out a way how to defend the spread option offense was the reason for it to went like the wind at the pro level.

Perry played in Europe after his NFL career had ended though.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me get this straight, you don't want to watch lower tier players during the preseason but are advocating for a developmental league featuring exactly those guys???

Absolutely, guess how many minor league baseball, d league basketball and sub league NHL games I have watched because their respective parent league thinks they are important enough to be televised...

Latest posts