Game 2 - What are you looking for?

Reaction score
I really shouldn't have to say no injuries, but apparently the football gods didn't read that in the last thread.

So Hundley looked pretty anemic last game in regards to most of his throws. Granted, he hasn't had meaningful game snaps for two years, and he still showed a lot which looked good. Specifically, his field vision seemed pretty good, and his pocket awareness was alright. We are used to seeing Rodgers making magic in the pocket and escaping all pressure, so I'm willing to throw Hundley a bone for getting hit on a few occasions that I thought were escapable.

O-Line: FFS, run block, will you? And Spriggs! Do something, man!

RBs: Didn't get a ton of work last game, so I just want to see them get a bit more extended usage.

WRs: I want to see Allison's head get measured for his eventual bust at Canton. Aside from that obvious need, I'd love to see more of Clark.

Def: Tackle someone! And maybe defend a pass or three. It would be unreasonable to expect the T/Os to keep up, but I'd also love it if that were not a fluke and they could work towards 2011 INT pace. That's probably our best chance at a highly effective D unit this year, imo.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King to play better. Small incremental improvement is what we can reasonably hope for.

Huntley - We know you can play better.

No cheap shots from our opponent.

Rodgers and new TEs develop some chemistry/timing

One or two of our young WRs to pull ahead in the competition for a roster spot. Pulling for Mcaffrey and Clark.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't able to watch the first game, so all I really want out of this one is for nobody to get hurt.

OP
OP
Candidate for Deletion
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, I also want to see more of Davin on PR duty. Would love it if he can prove that his splashes last game weren't a fluke.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
King to show some improvement.
Hundley to show the world his good talent.
No Injuries
More Trevor Davis returns
Some Rodgers action

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I would absolutely like for Aaron Rodgers to play in 2 preseason games, and 2-3 series in each.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
#1: Improved tackling.

#2: Another step forward for Hundley.

#3: The development of King and Jones.

#4: The WR battle.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Hundley to string together a couple of long drives.
Defense showing they remember how to tackle.
Holes blown open for the run game.
ST plays to not be flukes especially punts and punt returns.
Samaje Perrine to really be that special to warrant my drafting him in fantasy football.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For it to be over so we are that much closer to football that actually matters. Preseason football is a joke of a money grab, it is absolutely worthless and pointless. And before anyone mentions talent evaluatuion, if you can't evaluate your talent during practice there is something seriously wrong with the NFL practice structure or you don't belong in NFL talent evaluation. Or both. The only thing preseason is good for is for owners to make more money and for players to get injured in absolutely meaningless games.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking for......... better ball security, continued tenaciousness on defense, young players earning a roster spot.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm looking for any kind of pass rush that isn't coming from a blitzing CB or S. Didn't see much of the 1st half (on NFLN replay) but didn't appear to be much pressure from OLB's in the game. Pocket push from interior guys looked decent/acceptable, but no pressure from outside.

Assuming we'll see mostly Elliot, Fackrell, Calvin & Gilbert... need at least 2 of them to step-up and look like they belong.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to see if Marwan Evans can keep up with his Nick Collins impersonation. Granted this was against 3rd stringers and guys who wont be on a roster come September. But the decisiveness, the speed recognition and aggression... haven't seen a Packers safety play like that since Nick Collins was here. See the way he plays center field on that interception, Neither Ha Ha nor Burnett could have gotten there in time.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Rock-Report-MARwin-VELOUS/edc6fec3-1cb6-40b1-adc9-1cdeccfa6dd1?campaign=sf106142592_FB_C-Content-GB_CT-The Rock Report-GB_sf106142592&sf106142592=1

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to see if Marwan Evans can keep up with his Nick Collins impersonation. Granted this was against 3rd stringers and guys who wont be on a roster come September. But the decisiveness, the speed recognition and aggression... haven't seen a Packers safety play like that since Nick Collins was here. See the way he plays center field on that interception, Neither Ha Ha nor Burnett could have gotten there in time.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Rock-Report-MARwin-VELOUS/edc6fec3-1cb6-40b1-adc9-1cdeccfa6dd1?campaign=sf106142592_FB_C-Content-GB_CT-The Rock Report-GB_sf106142592&sf106142592=1
Cool beans. Not sure about the Haha or Burnett comparison, but yet another youngin to get excited about.

OP
OP
Candidate for Deletion
Reaction score
For it to be over so we are that much closer to football that actually matters. Preseason football is a joke of a money grab, it is absolutely worthless and pointless. And before anyone mentions talent evaluatuion, if you can't evaluate your talent during practice there is something seriously wrong with the NFL practice structure or you don't belong in NFL talent evaluation. Or both. The only thing preseason is good for is for owners to make more money and for players to get injured in absolutely meaningless games.
Dude, football is a tv show. You expect them to make it less visible and have fewer episodes? I mean, I'd love that too but it just doesn't seem very likely when we talk about football as being what it is - an entertainment tv show. The game would barely exist without TV, and likely not in any way at all that we recognize right now.

H

HardRightEdge

I would agree that Clinton-Dix does not get to sideline deep balls often enough. 16 passes defended over 3 seasons is not a good number even if the Packers play a lot of single-high safety limiting opportunities often alternating in that spot with Burnett. Clinton-Dix and Burnett are both hybrid free/strong safeties who tend to look best the closer to the line of scrimmage they play. Brice is kinda in that same mold but more SS than coverage safety. We assume for now Jones is an SS/ILB.

I would not expect this approach to personnel to change under Capers. He likes to move his safeties forward and back pre-snap to change the look or to blitz. He just likes him some hybrids. Whether Evans can be one of those guys remains to be seen; we just have not seen enough of him.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I'd like to see the second team O-Line, particularly the OTs, to actually block somebody. The Eagles first rounder Barnett was killing Spriggs. Murphy wasn't much better.

I'd like to see more of the run game, but it may still be too early for that. A top priority in preseason is don't get guys injured. No position is more susceptible than running back. At this point the guys who get the most snaps may be the guys at the bottom of the pecking order.

I liked the speed, aggressiveness and pursuit out of the DBs last week. They're probably going to get a heavy dose of Colt McCoy which is not an especially good test of coverage ability. Nonetheless, you want to see them limit separation and not leave guys wide open in zone as the starting crew has been prone to do.

H

HardRightEdge

...if you can't evaluate your talent during practice there is something seriously wrong with the NFL practice structure...

Well, the CBA severely curtails full padded practices and there's not much full-on 11-on-11 game simulation. Further, practicing day in and day out against the same guys working on the same scheme can make a guy look better than he is through acclimation. In preseason you get a chance to see how a guy absorbs a game plan and reacts to the unfamilar. There is no substitute for game play in evaluating personnel.

Preseason will never go away. Goodell would like to make it a 17 game season with 3 preseason games. Coaches, McCarthy included, tend not to like that idea but revenue has a habit of winning out in the end.

I would also observe that NFL football tends to look a little raggedy the first 2 or 3 weeks. You would not want to make that any worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Well, the CBA severely curtails full padded practices and there's not much full-on 11-on-11 game simulation. Further, practicing day in and day out against the same guys working on the same scheme can make a guy look better than he is through acclimation. In preseason you get a chance to see how a guy absorbs a game plan and reacts to the unfamilar. There is not substitute for game play in evaluating personnel.

Preseason will never go away. Goodell would like to make it a 17 game season with 3 preseason games. Coaches, McCarthy included, tend not to like that idea but revenue has a habit of winning out in the end.

I would also observe that NFL football tends to look a little raggedy the first 2 or 3 weeks. You would not want to make that any worse.
Precisely.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would agree that Clinton-Dix does not get to sideline deep balls often enough. 16 passes defended over 3 seasons is not a good number even if the Packers play a lot of single-high safety limiting opportunities often alternating in that spot with Burnett. Clinton-Dix and Burnett are both hybrid free/strong safeties who tend to look best the closer to the line of scrimmage they play. Brice is kinda in that same mold but more SS than coverage safety. We assume for now Jones is an SS/ILB.

I would not expect this approach to personnel to change under Capers. He likes to move his safeties forward and back pre-snap to change the look or to blitz. He just likes his some hybrids. Whether Evans can be one of those guys remains to be seen; we just have not seen enough of him.

He might have earned snaps earlier in the game in week 2 with the way that he performed, I'll be curious to see if continues to show up and play well even when he is playing against better competition.

Members online

Latest posts