Free Agents you would like to see sign with Green Bay in 2019?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I totally agree with you on this point of having to overpay in Free Agency for a Pass Rusher, how do you propose to fix what appears to be a glaring need for 2 of them? I wouldn't want 2 rookies starting at OLB next year, even if they were the 8th and 32nd picks of the draft. I also really don't want to see both first round picks spent at one position, when we have obvious needs elsewhere. By counting on Perry and Matthews for far too long and not using a high pick on the position, TT and Gute have kind of screwed the pooch here. Which is why I think many of us were shocked that in the last 2 drafts, an OLB wasn't taken until what....Beigel in the 4th round of the 2017th draft?

Maybe this is the time you go after an OLB in a trade?
I hate to say this, but this would actually be the perfect year to get them in the draft ...provided there are two highly rated pass rushers available to us. If we are truly going to have a new head coach, I wouldn’t count on next year being anything but a rebuilding year anyway.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but this would actually be the perfect year to get them in the draft ...provided there are two highly rated pass rushers available to us. If we are truly going to have a new head coach, I wouldn’t count on next year being anything but a rebuilding year anyway.
Good point and I forgot about the "rebuild year" LOL....you know me....I ALWAYS want the Packers to win, no matter what! ;) Jeeesh.....isn't saying "rebuild" not being a true fan and succumbing to the idea of losing? ;)

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
But I fully agree that our OL has been neglected far too long in the draft (unless you count Spriggs, but lets not go there)
Help me out with something PB because my memory is a little fuzzy. How many draft picks did it takes to acquire him? :ninja:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point and I forgot about the "rebuild year" LOL....you know me....I ALWAYS want the Packers to win, no matter what! ;) Jeeesh.....isn't saying "rebuild" not being a true fan and succumbing to the idea of losing? ;)
probably... and honestly...i’ts one of the biggest reasons I have been resisting the idea of a new head coach. I don’t want to accept that next year will probably not be a successful year when it comes to wins and losses. The only reason I have finally come around is that it appears that something is very broken with the offense, and while I still believe that McCarthy is a good coach, I think the Packers (including Aaron Rodgers) need some new perspective.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Discussing free agents this time of year comes with the huge caveat that resignings and tags haven't taken place yet. So many guys slated to be FA's right now won't actually make it. However, these are the names that interest me the most for the Packers.

Landon Collins, 25, S, New York

Adrian Amos, 25, S, Chicago

Ja'Wuan James, 27, RT, Miami

Adam Humphries, 25, WR, Tampa Bay

Preston Smith, 26, ED, Washington

Za'Darius Smith, 26, ED, Baltimore

Anthony Barr, 27, ED?, Minnesota

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone thinking Fackrell is the next big thing at pass-rusher will be disappointed.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone thinking Fackrell is the next big thing at pass-rusher will be disappointed.
he's probably not, but I have to say i noticed him in pass coverage much more than in pass rushing ability earlier and now he's got that coming on. He was someone i couldn't even believe was going to make the roster other than he was better than Beigel. He's turned into a better player, all around, than I thought he was capable of. Pleasantly surprised is about how I see it.

On the flip side, I was expecting more out of Reggie Gilbert and I think he peaked in the preseason. liability in the run game, not much pass rush and just a guy at best, and only at times out there.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
he's probably not, but I have to say i noticed him in pass coverage much more than in pass rushing ability earlier and now he's got that coming on. He was someone i couldn't even believe was going to make the roster other than he was better than Beigel. He's turned into a better player, all around, than I thought he was capable of. Pleasantly surprised is about how I see it.

On the flip side, I was expecting more out of Reggie Gilbert and I think he peaked in the preseason. liability in the run game, not much pass rush and just a guy at best, and only at times out there.

Agreed and I wouldn't want to make the mistake of counting on either of those guys as starters in 2019. I could be wrong, but Gilbert's success as you pointed out was in preseason and against inferior talent, not against everyday NFL starters. Fackrell, while surprising everyone with the monster games against Buffalo and Seattle, doesn't seem like the consistent game changer you would want full time at OLB.

What I really want to know, is why does it seem like no Packer rushers try to strip the ball when tackling the QB? We see this all the time with other teams and players. There have been a few times where Fackrell and even Matthews seems to have a clear shot at an attempted strip and sack and all they seem to do is take the sure sack.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed and I wouldn't want to make the mistake of counting on either of those guys as starters in 2019. I could be wrong, but Gilbert's success as you pointed out was in preseason and against inferior talent, not against everyday NFL starters. Fackrell, while surprising everyone with the monster games against Buffalo and Seattle, doesn't seem like the consistent game changer you would want full time at OLB.

What I really want to know, is why does it seem like no Packer rushers try to strip the ball when tackling the QB? We see this all the time with other teams and players. There have been a few times where Fackrell and even Matthews seems to have a clear shot at an attempted strip and sack and all they seem to do is take the sure sack.
I'd be ok with Fackrell from what he's shown recently. In this defense I think he's fine overall, and while his ability to rush is probably slightly above average against some tackles and below on others, he's very versatile for this defense. I don't think he's got a full compliment of rush moves by any means, but he does have good leverage and is stronger this year. His pass coverage I think has gone unnoticed by many and I think it allows this defense to work because Pettine is asking guys to be everywhere so they can rush from anywhere.

We still need other edge rushers, another starter and a couple back ups even. But the nice thing about this defense, we could have stud ILB's and mediocre OLB's and still be a pretty good defense rather than "needing" edge guy to be decent. It still takes players to make it work, don't get me wrong, but it's not the franchise variety that need to make it work, just good football players. Surprisingly enough to me, Fackrell has become one of those guys thru the course of this year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Dagnabbit you sunsabritches, he cost us 2 and one was practically the last pick in the draft.

It's like we have a voucher for a ride, we don't get a ride if we don't turn in the voucher, but we wanted to cut in line so we gave them 2 more. Yes we used 3, but it only "cost" 2 to move up and pick him.

Or I'm given 2 tickets to a Packer game. they're mine. but They're way up high and I find someone that will give me their single ticket behind the Packer bench 10 rows up but I have to give them both of my tickets. While I may no longer have my 2 tickets, it didn't cost me 2, it cost me 1 to move up there from the Uecker seats.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
LOL......can we agree that the opportunity cost of obtaining Spriggs was 3 draft picks?

If you were asked how we obtained Aaron Rodgers, wouldn't you say "we spent our first round pick, the 24th pick in the 2005 draft, for him?"

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd be ok with Fackrell from what he's shown recently. In this defense I think he's fine overall, and while his ability to rush is probably slightly above average against some tackles and below on others, he's very versatile for this defense. I don't think he's got a full compliment of rush moves by any means, but he does have good leverage and is stronger this year. His pass coverage I think has gone unnoticed by many and I think it allows this defense to work because Pettine is asking guys to be everywhere so they can rush from anywhere.

We still need other edge rushers, another starter and a couple back ups even. But the nice thing about this defense, we could have stud ILB's and mediocre OLB's and still be a pretty good defense rather than "needing" edge guy to be decent. It still takes players to make it work, don't get me wrong, but it's not the franchise variety that need to make it work, just good football players. Surprisingly enough to me, Fackrell has become one of those guys thru the course of this year.

If Fackrell's contract was up at the end of this season, what would you be willing to sign him for?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I totally agree with you on this point of having to overpay in Free Agency for a Pass Rusher, how do you propose to fix what appears to be a glaring need for 2 of them? I wouldn't want 2 rookies starting at OLB next year, even if they were the 8th and 32nd picks of the draft. I also really don't want to see both first round picks spent at one position, when we have obvious needs elsewhere. By counting on Perry and Matthews for far too long and not using a high pick on the position, TT and Gute have kind of screwed the pooch here. Which is why I think many of us were shocked that in the last 2 drafts, an OLB wasn't taken until what....Beigel in the 4th round of the 2017th draft?

Maybe this is the time you go after an OLB in a trade?

8th??? We are sitting at 11 right now. You really don't have much confidence in this team do you? :D

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you swap spots and have to throw in 2 more picks to do it you gave up 2 picks not three. I see it like Mondio does. I don't really consider the pick you used to get the guy as a cost because you either have the pick or the player. You just convert the asset into another form. I get your argument Poker but I just don't see it that way. You may be able to convince with a few more count posts though so bring them on.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Fackrell's contract was up at the end of this season, what would you be willing to sign him for?
Not a lot :) But I think he has value to this defense. I don't think he'd be too expensive at this point. If by some chance he gets to 12 sacks or something I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable paying him near what other 12 sack a year guys get paid. But if he does it again next year or something? we'll he surprised me this year so I'd have to revisit it then.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL......can we agree that the opportunity cost of obtaining Spriggs was 3 draft picks?

If you were asked how we obtained Aaron Rodgers, wouldn't you say "we spent our first round pick, the 24th pick in the 2005 draft, for him?"
we spent it, but it didn't cost us anything to use it :) and if we didn't use it, we wouldn't have saved anything, we would have just been left with nothing.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd also like to see the Kizer experiment end and find a backup QB. Flacco? Foles? Fitzmagic? Bortles? With Rodgers not staying healthy at all since the 2013 season makes me want a sure thing at the right price as opposed to developing a young guy. Most of these have been disasters (Graham Harrell, Hundley, Kizer, Tolzein). Just one panned out (Flynn).

Tyrann Mathieu seems like a great idea for a 2-3 year deal. I feel like Josh Gordon has lost a step from 2013 and I'd prefer a speed type of receiver. Maybe DeSean Jackson (Cal Berkley connection with Rodgers) for a 1 year deal.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You may be able to convince with a few more count posts though so bring them on.

To move up to the Indianapolis Colts' spot at No. 48 overall, the Packers gave up:
  1. second-round pick (No. 57) (*insert count voice* "that's 1, one pick!")
  2. fourth-round pick (No. 125) (*insert count voice* "that's 2, two picks!")
  3. seventh-rounder (No. 248).(*insert count voice* "that's 3, three picks!")

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
8th??? We are sitting at 11 right now. You really don't have much confidence in this team do you? :D
Honestly, no. :D I was going to put "5th", but that would be too optimistic and confident on my part ;)

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There is literally a debate going on over whether all the picks used to acquire a player should be included in calculating the cost of acquiring said player. That's peak forum right there.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the points in your post... but not Earl Thomas. The guy has broken his leg twice in about a year... That is a ridiculous amount of risk when you compare it to what he would cost.

He might not cost that much, remember Woodson? Look at Wilkerson too, sometimes injured vets can be had for a bargain. Id look at him and see where the market is but I wouldnt pay him top dollar period.

Latest posts