Free Agents you would like to see sign with Green Bay in 2019?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if I trust the pro personnel people right now. None of the free agent signings the packers have made are anything to speak of. I am also deeply concerned that the Saints (the possible #1 seed in the NFC Saints) have room on their 53 man roster and their active gameday roster for 3 players that the Packers have released. Hill, Banjo and Biegel all dress, play and contribute for the Saints. It is not a money thing as all 3 make next to nothing.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't know if I trust the pro personnel people right now. None of the free agent signings the packers have made are anything to speak of. I am also deeply concerned that the Saints (the possible #1 seed in the NFC Saints) have room on their 53 man roster and their active gameday roster for 3 players that the Packers have released. Hill, Banjo and Biegel all dress, play and contribute for the Saints. It is not a money thing as all 3 make next to nothing.
Cutting/not resigning guys that go on to contribute more elsewhere may be more of a reflection of poor coaching/evaluation. Maybe that is what you meant, but I took "Pro Personnel people" as our college and other team scouts.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't Banjo get released after a neck injury? I think people are all gaga over Hill because he was a QB that now does other stuff. I saw him get tossed while trying to throw a block for a run play coming his way. He's an athletic guy who people like. The Saints haven't turned him into some phenom. If he hadn't been the 4th string QB in a preseason here, nobody would even notice he plays for the Saints. and admittedly, i've only watched about 4-5 Saints games all season and I haven't noticed Biegel anywhere except on special teams and then it was just his number coming in to congratulate someone who made the play. I watched him preseason this year for GB, and there is no doubt in mind he did not come close to earning a roster spot here.

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My wish list:

OG. Roger Saffold LAR
OG. J. R Sweeny Seattle
ILB C J Mosley Baltimore
OLB. Shane Ray Denver
WR. Dontae Moncrief Jacksonville

The OG position needs to be addressed right now. Justin McCray a nice story but just not enough to talent. He repeatedly got beat against the Jets and was responsible for 2 sacks that I saw. Saffold and Sweeny are veterans that toucan plug and play. Saffold will cost some money.

Mosley along with Blake Martinez would be a nice MLB tandem. I'm still not down on Burks as most people are here.

Shane Ray would not cost much, I believe he is worth kicking the tires for.

Dontae Moncrief I thought should have been pursued last year. I believe MVS and ESB have very bright futures. Cobb what a disappointment and drop in production good bye. Allison I'm going to go with the Justin McCray line here nice story but time to move on.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
D.J Swearinger released by redskins.
The standard response on this board. Vet minimum on a prove it deal? :D
I'd make a serious run at him, signing for a cap hit this season and a low budget with a roster bonus type deal next few years. 3 years $15m, $5m SB with vet minimum this (2018) season and another $5m roster bonus day 3 of league year 2020. Signing him this season yet kind of prepays /guarantees him some of next seasons pay.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Found this comment by a Redskins fan interesting.

"The Redskins signed Reuben Foster after he was cut for domestic violence, but release DJ Swearinger because he criticized the coaching staff?"

Does this make Ha Ha the #1 S on the team. :roflmao:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Realistically I'd say we'd probably maybe get 1 or maybe 2 FAs at most.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay needs a a legitimate TE than can challenge the field vertically and has a good injury history. I like Demetrius Harris from Kansas City, but I think Jesse James might be a great fit. He should come more affordable and would be a solid TE1 either replacing Jimmy Graham or complementing him in the event Green Bay doubles down on this bust of a signing.

Maybe pursuing Golden Tate in the event Cobb leaves would be the smart play.

Signing a veteran RT in free agency would be wise. RG could come in draft.

Last, check out Earl Thomas, Tyrann Matheiu, or Landon Collins.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By choice or cap restraints?
I'd say a combination of both to be honest. I honestly don't imagine them breaking the bank to go out and grab a lot of new players outside of potentially resigning players here, and at the same time signing maybe one or two players.

The Packers while they have many needs realistically it would be foolish for them to go out and grab all these FAs like The Rams did. As great as that team is the problem is they lack depth and it's starting to show itself. Us losing on that Khalil Mack trade I will have a hard time letting go of because that was someone who would've changed EVERYTHING for the defense. If we got him we'd be in the playoffs, and dare I say win the SB within the next 2-3 years. Yes we have two draft picks, but a guy like Mack WARRANTS us giving those up and then some.

When it comes to FA it's about picking your spots. Yeah there are players that can fill holes and whatnot, but by what margin? Safety is something that definitely needs urgent attention and it's now foolish that they released Burnett as he was a solid player and a veteran, something we lack on the defensive side.

When looking at players in FA we need to ask ourselves

1. How much is this individual going to help better the team?

Skill position aside, does he bring anything else that will help the team like leadership. Will he inspire the team to play better, with his play? And how well will this team improve with this person's presence.

2. How well do they compare to other players in their position?

This is in regards to how much money we should spend.

3. How dependable are they?

Do they have a history of injuries, off the field issues, etc. This one is tricky as with transcendent players I'd take this into factor, but typically they pass the first two questions and if that's the case, that's just a taking the bad with the good, and it'll be up to the organization to make sure they maximize the most out of him.

4.How desperate are we?

Is it something that we can't fix with the draft, or what? Also we need to look at our situation. Like are we rebuilding, or are we in the twilight of our SB window?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
When looking at players in FA we need to ask ourselves
Really all I need to ask myself is if I can get behind rooting for this player or does he have baggage that makes him a no go. The rest of your questions are what the team already better be considering along with a myriad of questions you would never think of.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys a thought just came to mind. What do you think it would take for Denver to give up Von Miller? I'm sure if we gave them our first two draft picks and some other stuff they'd listen.

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys a thought just came to mind. What do you think it would take for Denver to give up Von Miller? I'm sure if we gave them our first two draft picks and some other stuff they'd listen.

Respectfully no... Too many needs that warrant our 2 1sts next year

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Respectfully no... Too many needs that warrant our 2 1sts next year
I mean I get that, but what guarantee will these players end up as studs. At least with Von we know what we'll get from him. Plus he would be what most would consider Packers material. He could help bolster the defense in regards to getting pressure and thus help the secondary in the process. We've been playing it safe for too long now. I say pull the trigger. And get a couple fill ins via FA.

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean I get that, but what guarantee will these players end up as studs. At least with Von we know what we'll get from him. Plus he would be what most would consider Packers material. He could help bolster the defense in regards to getting pressure and thus help the secondary in the process. We've been playing it safe for too long now. I say pull the trigger. And get a couple fill ins via FA.

Shoot I'll bite... Ok say we go your route, I truly believe if we casted out for this 2 1sts should do it maybe 1 and a 2 or send Matthews with the picks.

I say anything outside of 2 1sts no and maybe only 1... Crazy I know with his caliber but I can't justify with a position we have to bolster. Although FA is the route I'm leaning toward.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
We get him for three years at $18million each. Denver has to eat over $19million in dead cap which still gets them almost $6m cap savings next year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Shoot I'll bite... Ok say we go your route, I truly believe if we casted out for this 2 1sts should do it maybe 1 and a 2 or send Matthews with the picks.

I say anything outside of 2 1sts no and maybe only 1... Crazy I know with his caliber but I can't justify with a position we have to bolster. Although FA is the route I'm leaning toward.

Matthews, Cobb and a few other Packer players have no trade value, their contracts are up.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts