Free Agent Signings for Packers or Elsewhere...

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yeah and they could of slid that savings right over and signed Claiborne. Heck, they could of gotten both Bouye and Claiborne and still be in good shape.

And I'm sorry. If you cant lure Conner Barwin from the LA Rams to the Green Bay Packers for similar money then you have no bizz GMing for the Packers.

I'm not so sure Claiborne would have been the answer at CB. But that is my opinion.

One notion that we all can't assume is that every player wants to play for the Packers or with any of the other 31 teams for that matter. I am pretty sure a player and his agent want to go where they maximize all the things that are important to them (family, playing opportunity, future earnings, etc.). For all we know, Barwin had TT on his knees begging him to come to GB, but Barwin saw a better opportunity to meets his goals in L.A.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A lot of assumptions in these statements. Don't forget you are talking about human beings not pieces on a chessboard. You have no idea what the mindset of Barwin is.... perhaps moving from Southern California to tiny cold Green Bay Wisconsin does not appeal to him... maybe it does.... maybe lifestyle is more important to him than winning... (and if so we would definitely not want him in Green Bay). Maybe he would prefer to play in Green Bay.... but none of us knows these and many more things.

LOL....get out of my head! BTW...Barwin would be moving from the City of Brotherly Love...Philly ;) But I agree with you, this isn't Madden Football.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm not so sure Claiborne would have been the answer at CB. But that is my opinion.

One notion that we all can't assume is that every player wants to play for the Packers or with any of the other 31 teams for that matter. I am pretty sure a player and his agent want to go where they maximize all the things that are important to them (family, playing opportunity, future earnings, etc.). For all we know, Barwin had TT on his knees begging him to come to GB, but Barwin saw a better opportunity to meets his goals in L.A.

That's a reminder of how bad it is at corner is that Mo Claiborne would of been our star cornerback.

And yeah I bet Thompson was just "wheeling and dealing" left and right as he is just so hyper aggressive in free agency. Smoke was probably coming out of TT's ears. He probably couldn't pay them enough to come to Green Bay.

NOT!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Claiborne would have been an upgrade over the cornerbacks currently on the Packers' roster.
Maybe an upgrade, but that isn't saying a whole lot and I don't think he would have been the answer at #1. He has had a hard time staying on the field due to injuries, missed 33 games in the last five seasons. When he has played, he was considered to be pretty inconsistent. All that sounded way too much like what we already have at CB to make me want the Packers to sign him.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Maybe an upgrade, but that isn't saying a whole lot and I don't think he would have been the answer at #1. He has had a hard time staying on the field due to injuries, missed 33 games in the last five seasons. When he has played, he was considered to be pretty inconsistent. All that sounded way too much like what we already have at CB to make me want the Packers to sign him.

He had a real good season though last year. He is developed and trending upward.

Better then someone that ended the season riding the pine in Jacksonville.

Claiborne when healthy could of provided a true "stop gap" until they develop some guys.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I really don't understand the Claiborne fascination. He's done nothing to be so highly regarded. I mean even when compared to our pretty bad secondary, he hasn't really done anything to make me think he's any better than our guys. At least House has been able to stay on the field the last 3 or 4 years.

As for having a really great season last year or whatever, he played 7 games. I don't understand those claims.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yeah, I really don't understand the Claiborne fascination. He's done nothing to be so highly regarded. I mean even when compared to our pretty bad secondary, he hasn't really done anything to make me think he's any better than our guys. At least House has been able to stay on the field the last 3 or 4 years.

Claiborne is much better then what's on the roster currently. He can play man to man and can at least track receivers and the ball.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Claiborne is much better then what's on the roster currently. He can play man to man and can at least track receivers and the ball.

I understand that you think this, but why? Those are just words. He's never been impressive on the field or healthy.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

There are a lot of players that you can use that logic on, "when healthy and playing at their peak", they are great. The reality of it is, there are players like Claiborne who aren't always healthy nor do they play at their peak consistently. You and I just discussed Clay Matthews in anothr thread, should we discuss what he is worth when healthy and playing his best football?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
LOL Date of article........13 OCT 2016 Should we talk about the rest of his season?

I get the lure of stuff like that, but this is the same discussion we have had about many players.

It doesn't matter. He is gone. What I found enticing is the 1 year 5 mill contract he signed. He would of been a great pick up and I don't care what anybody says. He fits what we lost with Shields way more then Devon House.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
There are a lot of players that you can use that logic on, "when healthy and playing at their peak", they are great. The reality of it is, there are players like Claiborne who aren't always healthy nor do they play at their peak consistently. You and I just discussed Clay Matthews in anothr thread, should we discuss what he is worth when healthy and playing his best football?

When is the last time Clay Matthews played elite level or even really good football?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It doesn't matter. He is gone. What I found enticing is the 1 year 5 mill contract he signed. He would of been a great pick up and I don't care what anybody says. He fits what we lost with Shields way more then Devon House.

When healthy, possibly he would. I have never once thought House was the answer at the #1 CB spot either. I don't think TT has properly addressed the need yet. Nor do I think he will be able to do it through the draft. So either he has something else planned or he expects a big improvement from his 2016 CB's, House and a rookie or 2.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
When healthy, possibly he would. I have never once thought House was the answer at the #1 CB spot either. I don't think TT has properly addressed the need yet. Nor do I think he will be able to do it through the draft. So either he has something else planned or he expects a big improvement from his 2016 CB's, House and a rookie or 2.

No, it hasnt been addressed to say the least. I think if Randle can stay healthy he can get better results as the no.2 guy with a better guy opposite him. That would at least give me some hope. Claiborne was just one of the options out there that would of fit the bill to accomplish this.

Devon House does not fit the equation.

D

Deleted member 6794

Claiborne would have been a risky signing because of his history of injuries and inconsistent play. But at some point he was the best cornerback available in free agency.

He wasn't my top choice entering this offseason by any means though.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Claiborne would have been a risky signing because of his history of injuries and inconsistent play. But at some point he was the best cornerback available in free agency.

He wasn't my top choice entering this offseason by any means though.

Right

And signing him should of been the very least done to address the problem at corner.

Claiborne was a cap casualty.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
When is the last time Clay Matthews played elite level or even really good football?

In 2017....when Claiborne plans to do the same ;)

I think you missed my point, but made my point by missing it. When discussing the value of a player, you have to take into account many factors, injuries and ability are 2 big ones. You seem to want to discuss the value of Clay Matthews at his worst, but Claiborne at his best.

Again, I think CM3 isn't earning his full salary, very little debate from me there. But I also think, we have seen an injured Clay Matthews and someone who has been asked to play out of position at times. Which is why the Packers will have to decide which Clay Matthews they will have in 2017. We will all have a lot to say about CM3 as this year progresses and if he happens to have a great year, I am sure there will be someone who says "I told you so!".

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

I think you missed my point, but made my point by missing it. When discussing the value of a player, you have to take into account many factors, injuries and ability are 2 big ones. You seem to want to discuss the value of Clay Matthews at his worst, but Claiborne at his best.

Again, I think CM3 isn't earning his full salary, very little debate from me there. But I also think, we have seen an injured Clay Matthews and someone who has been asked to play out of position at times. Which is why the Packers will have to decide which Clay Matthews they will have in 2017. We will all have a lot to say about CM3 as this year progresses and if he happens to have a great year, I am sure there will be someone who says "I told you so!".

I look at it in terms of Claiborne 1 year 5 mill and Matthews set to make 15 mill so it's different that way. I'm looking at "value vs contract". At least Claiborne had a solid 2016 as Matthews did not.

I want Matthews to regain form as much as anyone but once again here we go cranking up the "hope machine"

Lotta hope going on around here.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Also, I really want them to draft Charles Harris in the first round if he is there. Not reach for some corner here at 29.

I think Harris can come in and rush the passer day 1.

We don't need broken down Clay. We need a no.1 corner.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Give me "black Ice" and a true no.1 corner and "play ball". I want the kid from Kansas City.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, I would have rolled the dice with Claiborne but the guy has been a huge bust his entire career. Dude was the 6th overall pick back in 2012.......

Members online

Latest posts