Free Agent Signings for Packers or Elsewhere...

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Another FA CB off the market....Nickell Robey-Coleman signed with the Rams today.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your 5.2 games started is intended to show that rookies don't play much, or aren't expected to start in GB. Fact is that players drafted high (rounds 1 & 2) are given significant opportunities to start and play. They may not be top of the depth chart, but are "next man up" in many situations. Below shows the player and games started as rookies (and saw significant playing time in many others):
Perry - 5
Lacy - 15
Adams - 11
Clinton-Dix - 10
Rollins - 4
Randall - 9
Spriggs - 2
Clark - 2
Yeah and 90% of those starts were crap.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah and 90% of those starts were crap.
Math not your strong suit? 15 by Lacy and combined 43 for the rest. Lacy had a thousand yard rookie season plus that is when Rodgers was out for half the season. At worst, 75% sucked. That includes Adams when both Jordy and Cobb had 1000+ yards his rookie season.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Math not your strong suit? 15 by Lacy and combined 43 for the rest. Lacy had a thousand yard rookie season plus that is when Rodgers was out for half the season. At worst, 75% sucked. That includes Adams when both Jordy and Cobb had 1000+ yards his rookie season.
I think more like selective memory, to try and make a point, which can afflict many people.

Last edited:

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True math is not for me... still 75% is bad enough.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Colts have signed DL Johnathan Hankins to a three year, $30 million deal with $15.9 million guaranteed.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The name recognition certainly isn't the same, but there really hasn't been a big difference between Hankins and Francois on the field. There's actually a case to be made that RJF has been the better player. That's a lot of money that the Colts just paid for a solid two down player.

D

Deleted member 6794

The name recognition certainly isn't the same, but there really hasn't been a big difference between Hankins and Francois on the field. There's actually a case to be made that RJF has been the better player. That's a lot of money that the Colts just paid for a solid two down player.

While that might be true for last season overall Hankins has been a far better player than Jean Francois.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
While that might be true for last season overall Hankins has been a far better player than Jean Francois.

For whatever reason, Francois struggled during his time with the Colts. But while with the 49ers and Redskins, the two have played at a decent level. Hankins better in 2014, but worse in 2016. Not dramatically different, was my point.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to Ian Rapoport the Giants and running back LeGarrette Blount share mutual interest with a deal possibly being finalized before the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Seahawks and Raiders have agreed on a trade that will send Marshawn Lynch to Oakland.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO bad move by Oakland. They have an up-and-coming team and don't need a mostly-used-up-vet in need of a paycheck. Maybe Lynch will give them 10-12 decent carries/game and be a benefit, but I don't think it'll be looked back on as a good move.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
IMHO bad move by Oakland. They have an up-and-coming team and don't need a mostly-used-up-vet in need of a paycheck. Maybe Lynch will give them 10-12 decent carries/game and be a benefit, but I don't think it'll be looked back on as a good move.

I agree. I'm not going to pretend to know much about the Raiders, because I don't. But when I looked at their depth chart at RB, it totally reminded me of the Packers. They just lost their #1 RB via Free Agency. Their new #1 back, Taiwan Jones is a converted CB with a career of 44 carries and 183 yards. The two guys behind Jones are equally unproven. I'm not sure I would be betting on Lynch to be the savior for the Packers run game, if the opportunity had existed and that appears to be what the Raiders may be banking on. Although, at least they are signing someone, TT appears to be content to rely on the draft to fill the Packers need at RB, which could be viewed as even riskier than signing Lynch IMO, since the Raiders can still draft a RB.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

My guess is that PR is a large factor in making the move. The Raiders need to sell tickets in Oakland to a fan base that knows they're leaving. Having a popular native son playing for them might help soften the back lash a little bit.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My guess is that PR is a large factor in making the move. The Raiders need to sell tickets in Oakland to a fan base that knows they're leaving. Having a popular native son playing for them might help soften the back lash a little bit.
I thought about that too, especially with the upcoming move to Las Vegas in what....2 years? Ticket sales could need a boost between now and then. But the Raiders are a team close to being a legit SB contender, I would think that alone would sell tickets and any moves made should focus more on that then tickets. Could be they see Lynch as way of accomplishing both adjectives.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nail on the head. He's got hard miles on him, over 30, and has sat out a year. Clearly the Raiders see more than his play as a benefit for them.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Browns have signed CB Jason McCourty to a two-year, $6 million comtract. That seems like a reasonable deal.

RB LeGarrette Blount has agreed to join the Eagles on a one-year deal.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Browns have signed CB Jason McCourty to a two-year, $6 million comtract. That seems like a reasonable deal.

RB LeGarrette Blount has agreed to join the Eagles on a one-year deal.

Prior to the draft, I would have been happy had the Packers been able to sign either of those players. But I am guessing that the two positions are no longer on the Packers FA radar. I can only hope that OLB is a position that the Packers and TT are still looking at in the way of a quality FA signing. I felt this way prior to Biegel's injury, but the need seems even bigger since.

D

Deleted member 6794

Prior to the draft, I would have been happy had the Packers been able to sign either of those players. But I am guessing that the two positions are no longer on the Packers FA radar. I can only hope that OLB is a position that the Packers and TT are still looking at in the way of a quality FA signing. I felt this way prior to Biegel's injury, but the need seems even bigger since.

While I agree that the Packers are most likely done addressing the running back position by drafting three players I still don't feel confident about the situation at cornerback.

Of course I agree the roster is dangerously slim at outside linebacker.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I agree that the Packers are most likely done addressing the running back position by drafting three players I still don't feel confident about the situation at cornerback.

Of course I agree the roster is dangerously slim at outside linebacker.

Well I didn't say I was confident in the situation at CB ;) Really, unless they Packers make a trade or a quality CB is cut by another team to save cap, there isn't much else the Packers can do at this point but ride out the guys they have at the position. It is a pretty "full position" at this point, with the level of talent for 2017 still a big unknown.

House, Randall, Rollins, King, Gunter, Goodson, Hawkins, Waters, Rivers, Brown and Pipkins

Members online

Latest posts