Free Agent Signings for Packers or Elsewhere...

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just love the name. I picture a guy who comes and goes from work in a chauffeur-driven Rolls Royce, wearing a top hat and black tux with gray striped pants. He's on my 2017 All-Name Team.

Funny you should say that, because as I was typing his name, this song popped into my head!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

Well I didn't say I was confident in the situation at CB ;) Really, unless they Packers make a trade or a quality CB is cut by another team to save cap, there isn't much else the Packers can do at this point but ride out the guys they have at the position. It is a pretty "full position" at this point, with the level of talent for 2017 still a big unknown.

House, Randall, Rollins, King, Gunter, Goodson, Hawkins, Waters, Rivers, Brown and Pipkins

Absolutely agreed, after McCourty signed with the Browns there's not a single free agent cornerback available the Packers should think about targeting.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO bad move by Oakland. They have an up-and-coming team and don't need a mostly-used-up-vet in need of a paycheck. Maybe Lynch will give them 10-12 decent carries/game and be a benefit, but I don't think it'll be looked back on as a good move.
that's not it. he's socked away most of his money. his presence on that team is a positive. he's a banger, everyone loves him, intense attitude. lots of incentives in his contract.

Sky King

Reaction score
that's not it. he's socked away most of his money. his presence on that team is a positive. he's a banger, everyone loves him, intense attitude. lots of incentives in his contract.
He's also a homeboy for a team needing to sell tickets in the city they are going to abandon (again), probably after the 2019 season.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
steelers have cut ladarious green
i know there was a lot of interest in him here last year
zero use for him now, but interesting how that ended up working out

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll admit I was one that wanted TT to sign Green... glad TT didn't see that thread ;).

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Ladarius Who? :whistling:

Never heard of the guy. :whistling:

Never thought we should sign him as a FA. :whistling::whistling:

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, it seems I have to eat crow for strongly advocating for the Packers to sign Green. Thompson was absolutely right about going in a different direction with signing Cook last season and bringing in Bennett and Kendricks this year.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, it seems I have to eat crow for strongly advocating for the Packers to sign Green. Thompson was absolutely right about going in a different direction with signing Cook last season and bringing in Bennett and Kendricks this year.

While I do share that plate of crow with you in regards to Green, I also don't think one can accurately conclude that a FA would have been equally successful or an equal failure had they signed with another team, basically the hindsight argument. Green's injury status might be a reason to say this with him, but in cases where injury isn't the determining factor, there are other factors that may have contributed to a player's success or failure. For instance, had the Packers not signed Cook and he signed with say Cleveland. Had Cook had a non-productive season in Cleveland, I don't think it would have been fair to conclude that the Packers were smart to not sign Cook last year. While its nice to use hindsight in player evaluation, I don't think it's always 100% accurate when it comes to evaluating how that player would have ended up performing for another team.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like TT and the Packers may not be done with FA signings. According to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN, the Packers are one of two teams with some level of interest in former Pittsburgh Steelers center Cody Wallace.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/19/report-packers-inquire-about-free-agent-c-cody-wallace/
Just kicking the tires on a flexible vet capable of backing-up at OC/OG. Unfortunately Wallace missed all of '16 with a "mystery knee injury" that he hurt in August, was "structurally sound" after an October scope, but still giving him pain in November '16. At 32 he's probably done, but if his knee is OK may be worth looking at in camp... a better option than Barclay IMHO.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just kicking the tires on a flexible vet capable of backing-up at OC/OG. Unfortunately Wallace missed all of '16 with a "mystery knee injury" that he hurt in August, was "structurally sound" after an October scope, but still giving him pain in November '16. At 32 he's probably done, but if his knee is OK may be worth looking at in camp... a better option than Barclay IMHO.

I agree and if Wallace is deemed fit and ready to roll, at the right price I too think he would be a better option than either Barclay or someone else with little or no experience. One thing TT has done this year that I am optimistic about, is that he has signed a few vet FA's for depth. Maybe last year he finally saw what happens when you have multiple injuries at a position (CB and RB) and all of a sudden you have nothing but developmental guys to fill them with. While signings such as Francois, Evans and Kendricks appear to be 2nd tier and somewhat minor at this point of the year, they could prove to be a very important one during the 2017 season. Now if TT could do the same thing at OLB, I would feel like it has been a pretty successful offseason.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sounds like TT and the Packers may not be done with FA signings. According to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN, the Packers are one of two teams with some level of interest in former Pittsburgh Steelers center Cody Wallace.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/19/report-packers-inquire-about-free-agent-c-cody-wallace/

I'm not convinced Wallace would be an upgrade over Barclay as he has only been a starter for a single season since being drafted in the fourth round nine years ago. In addition he missed nearly all of last season with a knee injury.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While I do share that plate of crow with you in regards to Green, I also don't think one can accurately conclude that a FA would have been equally successful or an equal failure had they signed with another team, basically the hindsight argument. Green's injury status might be a reason to say this with him, but in cases where injury isn't the determining factor, there are other factors that may have contributed to a player's success or failure. For instance, had the Packers not signed Cook and he signed with say Cleveland. Had Cook had a non-productive season in Cleveland, I don't think it would have been fair to conclude that the Packers were smart to not sign Cook last year. While its nice to use hindsight in player evaluation, I don't think it's always 100% accurate when it comes to evaluating how that player would have ended up performing for another team.
Agree with your premise but it is a whole lot more accurate than a bunch of armchair GM's ranting on an internet forum.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots are signing CB Stephon Gilmore, most likely resulting in them not bringing back Logan Ryan.

Stephen Gilmore the guy many of us wanted this off season was benched today to start the second half. He got back in due to injuries and had a huge penalty. So he is essentially the Patriots Randall at this point.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Stephen Gilmore the guy many of us wanted this off season was benched today to start the second half. He got back in due to injuries and had a huge penalty. So he is essentially the Patriots Randall at this point.
How can that be?!?! Aren’t big name, huge dollar FA’s supposed to be the be all, end all every single time?!?! :)

D

Deleted member 6794

How can that be?!?! Aren’t big name, huge dollar FA’s supposed to be the be all, end all every single time?!?! :)

On the other hand Bouye has performed at an elite level for the Jaguars being among the league leaders in interceptions, passes defensed and passer rating allowed.

Once again, not every free agent signing will work out as planned but there's a smart way to use it to address obvious positions of need. It's awfully tough building a balanced roster solely using a draft and develop scheme.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What could have been. Him and the 2nd rounder we should have sent to the Browns last year for Haden and that we couldn't have used for Josh Jones this year, man, we could really have been something :)

Not that I think any of this proves anything or declares any winner. There is a lot of football to be played and storylines and who is the G.O.A.T's and who are just goats change weekly in this NFL. I just wish people would remain more big picture in their evaluations of how this team is run. It's certainly not without valid criticisms, but year after year so many "solutions" look to be terrible franchise crippling decisions that were avoided a year later. But by then some are on to their new crop of "solutions" void of context or history.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
On the other hand Bouye has performed at an elite level for the Jaguars being among the league leaders in interceptions, passes defensed and passer rating allowed.

Once again, not every free agent signing will work out as planned but there's a smart way to use it to address obvious positions of need. It's awfully tough building a balanced roster solely using a draft and develop scheme.
Maybe that’s why they brought House back to help the younger guys out.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
What could have been. Him and the 2nd rounder we should have sent to the Browns last year for Haden and that we couldn't have used for Josh Jones this year, man, we could really have been something :)

Not that I think any of this proves anything or declares any winner. There is a lot of football to be played and storylines and who is the G.O.A.T's and who are just goats change weekly in this NFL. I just wish people would remain more big picture in their evaluations of how this team is run. It's certainly not without valid criticisms, but year after year so many "solutions" look to be terrible franchise crippling decisions that were avoided a year later. But by then some are on to their new crop of "solutions" void of context or history.
Not to mention the epic failure the prior year of Thompson being asleep instead of signing the great Jarius Byrd who went on to become whatever he did after signing with New Orleans.

Edit: P.S. we had people in here leaping off the cliff 18 hours after free agency opened back in March proclaiming us as 2017 losers. It’s the same routine every year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe that’s why they brought House back to help the younger guys out.

I agree that House was being brought back to mentor the young cornerbacks but there would have been better options than relying on him to play a ton of snaps available.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not to mention the epic failure the prior year of Thompson being asleep instead of signing the great Jarius Byrd who went on to become whatever he did after signing with New Orleans.

It's ridiculous to bring up isolated free agent signings that didn't work out which fit your narrative to conclude that there's no smart way to use free agency. There are a ton of FAs having an impact with their new teams around the league as well.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bouye was one of the few guys that really intrigued me because he was young and coming off a really good season. I agree you need to use free agency but I actually feel like the Packers did that this year with Bennett, Kendrick, Brooks, House and Dial.

Members online

Latest posts