Free Agency: Packers Should Green Bay Pursue?

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks, much better than "he isn't any good".

Again, I know very little about the guy, but wonder what it would take to tap into his athleticism or if he is just a lost cause. The little I have read leads me to believe that the Giants were pretty excited about him last year.

Unfortunately, I think the Packers have all the "WR projects" that they need right now, so probably not even a guy Gute would consider.

I've followed his story as I am involved in competitive fantasy football so I try to keep tabs on a lot of these types of players who may have upside. It's all brains, route running and intellect with Coleman. He lacks in all three areas. Definitely a busted pick. Best to move on and let him be someone else's problem.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Good breakdown at probably one of the most important positions that the Packers will probably hit hard in Free Agency. I think we are going to see Cory Littleton, Martinez and Joe Schobert come off the "Free Agency board" first. Whether its their current teams signing them or cap fat teams really wanting them and being able to overpay for them. The problem with that, is that I think there will be a sizable over payment for all 3 of those guys and all of a sudden a part timer like Kwiatkoski goes from being a $5-6M/year to a $7-9M. But, that might be what it takes to land a decent ILB for the coming season and beyond.

In a hypothetical world where the Packers are guaranteed whoever they are willing to pay for, they'd have to decide if they would rather have, say, Littleton on his own or Kwiatkowski plus a veteran CB or iDL. I can see it both ways. Real coverage ability on the second level would make a big impact, but then they need help more than one place. Kwiatkoski carries a higher chance of being a value signing since he hasn't been a full time player, but that also carries more risk. One has a better idea of who Littleton will be, but for that reason, you are probably going to have to pay him at his ceiling... i.e. there's going to be little chance of him outplaying his contract.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Jake Ryan could be available to sign. :roflmao:

He hasn't played in a game since 2017 and the Jaguars signed him to a deal last year that would pay him $5.75 M this season if they don't cut him. No wonder that team can't figure out how to win.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Former Browns TE Demetrius Harris might have been a Mercedes Lewis type signing, but sounds like the Bears snapped him up today.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Former Browns TE Demetrius Harris might have been a Mercedes Lewis type signing, but sounds like the Bears snapped him up today.

Huh?

I thought Harris was one of the athletic pass catchers that's a mediocre blocker, and Lewis is pretty much the exact opposite. Or am I getting him confused with someone else?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Huh?

I thought Harris was one of the athletic pass catchers that's a mediocre blocker, and Lewis is pretty much the exact opposite. Or am I getting him confused with someone else?

I remember reading a few things when he was released the other day. Sounds like he was a good blocker but dropped too many passes. Was a basketball player at UW-Milwaukee, so really at the age of 28, probably still learning the game.

I also meant a depth type TE, definitely not a starter. I think with Lewis, you get more Veteran dependability and consistency. With Harris, the Bears are possibly hoping for an upside.

Reaction score
I remember reading a few things when he was released the other day. Sounds like he was a good blocker but dropped too many passes. Was a basketball player at UW-Milwaukee, so really at the age of 28, probably still learning the game.

I also meant a depth type TE, definitely not a starter. I think with Lewis, you get more Veteran dependability and consistency. With Harris, the Bears are possibly hoping for an upside.
With all this talk about MLF using a proactive approach with his RB’s in the passing game. Is it possible that Graham (signed a year before our HC change) was never going to be used in his system to his early production levels?
Maybe all we need is a pair of TE’s that are capable of that 400-600 range each and not so much the single featured player that Graham once was? In any case, Jimmy was paid way too much for mediocre production and usage he displayed.
I’m beginning to wonder more and more if we don’t even bring in another RB somewhere in that 5-6th round range that we feel can contribute in our passing game in the event Williams or Jones miss time. That’s an area we’ve had a nice 1-2 punch and we’re relying on a fair amount of production from that group. We are one of 10 teams with Two RBs inside the top 40 in the league in snap counts (GB,Balt,NE,LAC,NO,Cin,Den,Houst,Chicago) and the Packers are the only team with a top 10 snap count #1RB (#9-Jones;677 snaps) AND a top 40 snap count #2RB (#39-Williams;388 snaps).

It also doesn’t appear they are thrilled with Dexter thus far. Both Dexter and Ryan Grant were complete mysteries and may both be on the bubble looking out.
I was also somewhat surprised Vitale didn’t get involved more. He started strong (4/8 games he had 20%+ O snaps and then seemed to fizzle (the last 7 games he had 1/7 games with 20%+ O snaps)

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not be surprised to see 2 RB's added this offseason thru some means. Both Jones and Williams will be FA after this year and there is nothing really behind them. Dexter has a long ways to go i think before he sees the field. he's young, but I don't get the impression he had a good first year behind the scenes.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers should be thinking of WR, TE, OT, iDL, LB, and CB as positions that could use FA attention. That is not to say that a significant addition could be made at all six positions, but those are the spots that I'm looking at for help. So who would fit in well at those spots?

Wide Receiver: There isn't a lot to like with this free agent class at wide receiver. While there are plenty of needs in the receiving corps, it wouldn't be shocking to me if investment here was minimal or even saved entirely for the draft. However, there is a handful of names that at least raise an eyebrow.
  • Emmanuel Sanders, 49ers: Even at 32 and coming off an injury, Sanders demonstrated that he still brings value. And what's more, he made a great impact in offenses very similar to Green Bay's.
  • Tajae Sharpe, Titans: Sharpe isn't a dynamic weapon, but he can separate and move the chains, which the Packers need in the offense. The tricky part is that he's a WR3/WR4 who can't play on special teams, which is something of a roster burden.
Tight End: If the right player or two actually makes it to market, TE might be a much better avenue for improving the pass catching weapons. Someone with true dual-threat ability as a receiver/blocker would be ideal for the offense.
  • Hunter Henry, Chargers: If Henry gets out of that garbage dump because of his injury history, he's a guy who would be worth the risk. He's an excellent intermediate target in the passing game, while also adding strong blocking ability. He's the type of player that could unlock a lot on offense because he's so capable whether the call is run or pass.
  • Austin Hooper, Falcons: Hooper is more trailer than truck when it has come to the Atlanta offense, benefiting more from the players around him rather than creating opportunities as a mismatch. That said, he's a reliable target over the middle of the field, and is solid as a blocker, so you could do worse.
  • Marcedes Lewis, Packers: If the above aren't options or if GB doesn't have the cap space wherewithal, the Packers should just resign Lewis who, while not offering much as a pass catcher, has worked well as a blocker in the offense.
Offensive Tackle: With Bulaga due to hit free agency, the Packers have a decision to make. After a price is negotiated, are they willing to pay it? And how long will they have to commit to an aging player? While eating up a hefty chunk of the cap with a 30 year old isn't ideal, having a glaring hole at right tackle would probably be worse.
  • Bryan Bulaga, Packers: Though he's dealt with his share of injuries and he's entering the latter stages of his career, Bulaga is still one of the best right tackles in football. Unless his asking price is outrageous, I think the smart move is to keep him.
Interior Defensive Line: While the Packers aren't completely devoid of talent on their defensive line, they are totally missing a backfield disruptor. They drafted Adams for that role and he didn't pan out. Keke also profiles that way, but he's a 5th rounder who barely played last year. So while they don't need a 80% snap count stud, they could use help in the role.
  • Gerald McCoy, Panthers: McCoy is still very effective at getting into the backfield from both the 3 and the 1. As an older player, he could be an ideal match to go with the young and developing Keke. He would certainly need to be spelled often enough for younger players to get a lot of snaps.
  • Maliek Collins, Cowboys: Collins is a classic 3T who has been a solid contributor for the Cowboys for a few seasons now. I'm not going to claim to have watched a ton of him, but those who follow Dallas all seem to say that his disruption on tape is more impressive than his modest production.
  • Shelby Harris, Broncos: Harris has moved between DE and DT during his time in Denver, but seems to have found a good niche as an under tackle.
Linebacker: With Martinez likely walking away, Burks disappointing, and Goodson also a free agent, the cupboard projects to be virtually bare at linebacker. This is one spot where it would absolutely shock me if they didn't sign someone.
  • Cory Littleton, Rams: Littleton isn't going to be handling any guards in the hole any time soon, but he's a legit coverage linebacker and a reliable tackler with plenty of range. He is going to be the spendiest linebacker on the market, but he also offers a defense the most flexibility.
  • Nick Kwiatkoski, Bears: Kwiatkoski has apparently shown very well whenever injuries have forced him into the lineup for the Bears. So while there's a chance he doesn't play as well in a full time role, there's also a chance that he turns out to be a value. In what I have seen of him, he's a much more aggressive downhill player than what we've had in Green Bay.
Cornerback: While the outside starters are set for the time being, King is an uneven player entering a contract year and the depth is close to non-existent. Barely proven Chandon Sullivan being your 3rd corner is a problem.
  • Chris Harris Jr, Broncos: Harris Jr. has been the best slot corner in the league for a long time. He played on the outside almost exclusively in 2019 and thus didn't perform as well, but I would guess that a move back inside would return him to form despite his age.
  • Mackensie Alexander, Vikings: Alexander never developed into what the Vikings hoped he would, but was still a solid slot player for them last year. His former DB's coach is now in the same role for the Packers, so they should have some excellent intel on him.
  • Kendall Fuller, Chiefs: Fuller was an excellent slot corner in Washington, but the Chiefs moved him to safety. That versatility is nice, but he could also likely go back to his old role and thrive.
It would be great if GB could get Littleton, but I think the price would be too high. Kwiatkoski is more likely. I’d be happy with either and so long to Martinez.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Asking for a friend ;) , would recently released 30 yr. old Nigel Bradham be a solid ILB signing for the Pack? Was an OLB, moved inside with the Eagles and was their playcaller last year or 2. Very good coverage skills, not afraid to shoot gaps & make plays in backfield. May cost 1/2 or 2/3 of a Cory Littleton signing with a 3 yr./$21-24Mil contract. Any thoughts?

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
The Packers have more pressing needs to address and not enough cap space to pay $7 million a season for a 30-year old slot receiver Gutekunst deemed not good enough to bring back last season.

Gutekunst has to hit on a wide receiver in this year's draft to improve the position. Free agency doesn't seem to be a decent option this offseason though.

The Packers would definitely have to spend an early rounder on a right tackle if they decide to let Bulaga walk away in free agency.

While I might agree with you on that the Packers should pass on both of them.

I think a team will overpay for Ebron based on his production in 2018. Hopefully the Packers won't be the one.

First of all Cobb made $5 million in 2019. More importantly his salary ranking among other free agent wide receivers doesn't make him one of the five best available at the position.

Let me be clear about it, I'm definitely not confident about the receiving corps entering the offseason and agree there's a dire need to improve the talent level but bringing back Cobb for $7+ million isn't the way to go.

At this point right tackle is a huge need with Bulaga and Veldheer headed towards free agency while center isn't one at all with Linsley and Patrick under contract. That might change before the start of free agency though.

I wouldn't have felt comfortable with the Packers spending $7 million on Olsen either.

Just for the record, Hooper played in 13 games last season.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
The Packers have more pressing needs to address and not enough cap space to pay $7 million a season for a 30-year old slot receiver Gutekunst deemed not good enough to bring back last season.

Gutekunst has to hit on a wide receiver in this year's draft to improve the position. Free agency doesn't seem to be a decent option this offseason though.

The Packers would definitely have to spend an early rounder on a right tackle if they decide to let Bulaga walk away in free agency.

While I might agree with you on that the Packers should pass on both of them.

I think a team will overpay for Ebron based on his production in 2018. Hopefully the Packers won't be the one.

First of all Cobb made $5 million in 2019. More importantly his salary ranking among other free agent wide receivers doesn't make him one of the five best available at the position.

Let me be clear about it, I'm definitely not confident about the receiving corps entering the offseason and agree there's a dire need to improve the talent level but bringing back Cobb for $7+ million isn't the way to go.

At this point right tackle is a huge need with Bulaga and Veldheer headed towards free agency while center isn't one at all with Linsley and Patrick under contract. That might change before the start of free agency though.

I wouldn't have felt comfortable with the Packers spending $7 million on Olsen either.

Just for the record, Hooper played in 13 games last season.
Your correct, I got some stats wrong

Bojack

"All pro DL , you sure the hell dont play like it"
Reaction score
I think the Packers should be thinking of WR, TE, OT, iDL, LB, and CB as positions that could use FA attention. That is not to say that a significant addition could be made at all six positions, but those are the spots that I'm looking at for help. So who would fit in well at those spots?

Wide Receiver: There isn't a lot to like with this free agent class at wide receiver. While there are plenty of needs in the receiving corps, it wouldn't be shocking to me if investment here was minimal or even saved entirely for the draft. However, there is a handful of names that at least raise an eyebrow.
  • Emmanuel Sanders, 49ers: Even at 32 and coming off an injury, Sanders demonstrated that he still brings value. And what's more, he made a great impact in offenses very similar to Green Bay's.
  • Tajae Sharpe, Titans: Sharpe isn't a dynamic weapon, but he can separate and move the chains, which the Packers need in the offense. The tricky part is that he's a WR3/WR4 who can't play on special teams, which is something of a roster burden.
Tight End: If the right player or two actually makes it to market, TE might be a much better avenue for improving the pass catching weapons. Someone with true dual-threat ability as a receiver/blocker would be ideal for the offense.
  • Hunter Henry, Chargers: If Henry gets out of that garbage dump because of his injury history, he's a guy who would be worth the risk. He's an excellent intermediate target in the passing game, while also adding strong blocking ability. He's the type of player that could unlock a lot on offense because he's so capable whether the call is run or pass.
  • Austin Hooper, Falcons: Hooper is more trailer than truck when it has come to the Atlanta offense, benefiting more from the players around him rather than creating opportunities as a mismatch. That said, he's a reliable target over the middle of the field, and is solid as a blocker, so you could do worse.
  • Marcedes Lewis, Packers: If the above aren't options or if GB doesn't have the cap space wherewithal, the Packers should just resign Lewis who, while not offering much as a pass catcher, has worked well as a blocker in the offense.
Offensive Tackle: With Bulaga due to hit free agency, the Packers have a decision to make. After a price is negotiated, are they willing to pay it? And how long will they have to commit to an aging player? While eating up a hefty chunk of the cap with a 30 year old isn't ideal, having a glaring hole at right tackle would probably be worse.
  • Bryan Bulaga, Packers: Though he's dealt with his share of injuries and he's entering the latter stages of his career, Bulaga is still one of the best right tackles in football. Unless his asking price is outrageous, I think the smart move is to keep him.
Interior Defensive Line: While the Packers aren't completely devoid of talent on their defensive line, they are totally missing a backfield disruptor. They drafted Adams for that role and he didn't pan out. Keke also profiles that way, but he's a 5th rounder who barely played last year. So while they don't need a 80% snap count stud, they could use help in the role.
  • Gerald McCoy, Panthers: McCoy is still very effective at getting into the backfield from both the 3 and the 1. As an older player, he could be an ideal match to go with the young and developing Keke. He would certainly need to be spelled often enough for younger players to get a lot of snaps.
  • Maliek Collins, Cowboys: Collins is a classic 3T who has been a solid contributor for the Cowboys for a few seasons now. I'm not going to claim to have watched a ton of him, but those who follow Dallas all seem to say that his disruption on tape is more impressive than his modest production.
  • Shelby Harris, Broncos: Harris has moved between DE and DT during his time in Denver, but seems to have found a good niche as an under tackle.
Linebacker: With Martinez likely walking away, Burks disappointing, and Goodson also a free agent, the cupboard projects to be virtually bare at linebacker. This is one spot where it would absolutely shock me if they didn't sign someone.
  • Cory Littleton, Rams: Littleton isn't going to be handling any guards in the hole any time soon, but he's a legit coverage linebacker and a reliable tackler with plenty of range. He is going to be the spendiest linebacker on the market, but he also offers a defense the most flexibility.
  • Nick Kwiatkoski, Bears: Kwiatkoski has apparently shown very well whenever injuries have forced him into the lineup for the Bears. So while there's a chance he doesn't play as well in a full time role, there's also a chance that he turns out to be a value. In what I have seen of him, he's a much more aggressive downhill player than what we've had in Green Bay.
Cornerback: While the outside starters are set for the time being, King is an uneven player entering a contract year and the depth is close to non-existent. Barely proven Chandon Sullivan being your 3rd corner is a problem.
  • Chris Harris Jr, Broncos: Harris Jr. has been the best slot corner in the league for a long time. He played on the outside almost exclusively in 2019 and thus didn't perform as well, but I would guess that a move back inside would return him to form despite his age.
  • Mackensie Alexander, Vikings: Alexander never developed into what the Vikings hoped he would, but was still a solid slot player for them last year. His former DB's coach is now in the same role for the Packers, so they should have some excellent intel on him.
  • Kendall Fuller, Chiefs: Fuller was an excellent slot corner in Washington, but the Chiefs moved him to safety. That versatility is nice, but he could also likely go back to his old role and thrive.
Alot of good options but with the FAs we have coming next yr we can not spend much this yr. Crosby will be back. Bulaga for the right price. Cut Gram and Taylor. Trade 2round pick for Jarvis Landry Browns are dumbsteer fire they will go for it. Sign Joe Scholbert and Nick K at Ilb they will have to come at 9million and 5 million a yr. Bulaga only 6 million a yr with 4 mill stay healthy bonus a yr.Most likely to happen Bulaga walks Valdeere for 1 yr with a 2nd rd Ot because we will trade out of first for high 2nd 3rd and 6th rd

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Asking for a friend ;) , would recently released 30 yr. old Nigel Bradham be a solid ILB signing for the Pack? Was an OLB, moved inside with the Eagles and was their playcaller last year or 2. Very good coverage skills, not afraid to shoot gaps & make plays in backfield. May cost 1/2 or 2/3 of a Cory Littleton signing with a 3 yr./$21-24Mil contract. Any thoughts?

Tell your friend ;)

My friend ;) wouldn't be opposed to the idea. He said that the Packers are somewhat desperate at ILB and Bradham might be the first step in the right direction. Although my friend did say with Bradham turning 31 at the start of next season, tell your friend, no long term deal, maybe a cheaper 2-3 year.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Alot of good options but with the FAs we have coming next yr we can not spend much this yr. Crosby will be back. Bulaga for the right price. Cut Gram and Taylor. Trade 2round pick for Jarvis Landry Browns are dumbsteer fire they will go for it. Sign Joe Scholbert and Nick K at Ilb they will have to come at 9million and 5 million a yr. Bulaga only 6 million a yr with 4 mill stay healthy bonus a yr.Most likely to happen Bulaga walks Valdeere for 1 yr with a 2nd rd Ot because we will trade out of first for high 2nd 3rd and 6th rd

Ok, well trading our 2nd for Landry would mean taking on a 13M cap hit. Then you add 14M in off-ball linebackers and 10-14 between Crosby and Bulaga.

So you say we can't spend much, but what you propose spends about 40M in cap space.

And that doesn't even touch that your numbers aren't close to realistic.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ok, well trading our 2nd for Landry would mean taking on a 13M cap hit. Then you add 14M in off-ball linebackers and 10-14 between Crosby and Bulaga.

So you say we can't spend much, but what you propose spends about 40M in cap space.

And that doesn't even touch that your numbers aren't close to realistic.

it works when I run it through my Madden. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Picture emptying your lawn mower bag...4 times! :)

Just snapped this picture in my garage, you mean like this? :whistling:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

ok....just bagged and weighed it, 164 lbs!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Reaction score
Cross this guy off your Free Agent list! :eek:

What does 157 lbs of Marijuana look like?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...arijuana-could-face-up-to-20-years-in-prison/
Probably just for self medicating medicinal purposes :whistling:
He could’ve single handedly kept the town of GB in a medicinal stupor. My recommended defense is to tell the judge..”no contesto your honor..I was told it was Kentucky 31 Fescue and I’ve been going green” (then pray he has a sense of humor).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Bears cut Taylor Gabriel today.

He's an interesting option for the Packers. He was a good role player for the 2016 Falcons, so Petals has familiarity there. He had a solid 2018 because things fell apart (for the entire Chicago offense, not just for him) this last year.

He's 29 and still very fast. He shouldn't be overly expensive.

Members online

Latest posts