Free Agency: Packers Should Green Bay Pursue?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Free Agency opens in just about a month's time. Of course, the posturing, negotiating, and decisions will be made before then, in many cases. The combine is famous for being a hub of unsanctioned free agent activity.

Understanding that the Packers will probably end up with somewhere between 40 and 50M in space this off-season (depending on who they decide to cut and whose projected numbers end up being correct), who do you think they should target (or resign) and why?

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think the Packers should be thinking of WR, TE, OT, iDL, LB, and CB as positions that could use FA attention. That is not to say that a significant addition could be made at all six positions, but those are the spots that I'm looking at for help. So who would fit in well at those spots?

Wide Receiver: There isn't a lot to like with this free agent class at wide receiver. While there are plenty of needs in the receiving corps, it wouldn't be shocking to me if investment here was minimal or even saved entirely for the draft. However, there is a handful of names that at least raise an eyebrow.
  • Emmanuel Sanders, 49ers: Even at 32 and coming off an injury, Sanders demonstrated that he still brings value. And what's more, he made a great impact in offenses very similar to Green Bay's.
  • Tajae Sharpe, Titans: Sharpe isn't a dynamic weapon, but he can separate and move the chains, which the Packers need in the offense. The tricky part is that he's a WR3/WR4 who can't play on special teams, which is something of a roster burden.
Tight End: If the right player or two actually makes it to market, TE might be a much better avenue for improving the pass catching weapons. Someone with true dual-threat ability as a receiver/blocker would be ideal for the offense.
  • Hunter Henry, Chargers: If Henry gets out of that garbage dump because of his injury history, he's a guy who would be worth the risk. He's an excellent intermediate target in the passing game, while also adding strong blocking ability. He's the type of player that could unlock a lot on offense because he's so capable whether the call is run or pass.
  • Austin Hooper, Falcons: Hooper is more trailer than truck when it has come to the Atlanta offense, benefiting more from the players around him rather than creating opportunities as a mismatch. That said, he's a reliable target over the middle of the field, and is solid as a blocker, so you could do worse.
  • Marcedes Lewis, Packers: If the above aren't options or if GB doesn't have the cap space wherewithal, the Packers should just resign Lewis who, while not offering much as a pass catcher, has worked well as a blocker in the offense.
Offensive Tackle: With Bulaga due to hit free agency, the Packers have a decision to make. After a price is negotiated, are they willing to pay it? And how long will they have to commit to an aging player? While eating up a hefty chunk of the cap with a 30 year old isn't ideal, having a glaring hole at right tackle would probably be worse.
  • Bryan Bulaga, Packers: Though he's dealt with his share of injuries and he's entering the latter stages of his career, Bulaga is still one of the best right tackles in football. Unless his asking price is outrageous, I think the smart move is to keep him.
Interior Defensive Line: While the Packers aren't completely devoid of talent on their defensive line, they are totally missing a backfield disruptor. They drafted Adams for that role and he didn't pan out. Keke also profiles that way, but he's a 5th rounder who barely played last year. So while they don't need a 80% snap count stud, they could use help in the role.
  • Gerald McCoy, Panthers: McCoy is still very effective at getting into the backfield from both the 3 and the 1. As an older player, he could be an ideal match to go with the young and developing Keke. He would certainly need to be spelled often enough for younger players to get a lot of snaps.
  • Maliek Collins, Cowboys: Collins is a classic 3T who has been a solid contributor for the Cowboys for a few seasons now. I'm not going to claim to have watched a ton of him, but those who follow Dallas all seem to say that his disruption on tape is more impressive than his modest production.
  • Shelby Harris, Broncos: Harris has moved between DE and DT during his time in Denver, but seems to have found a good niche as an under tackle.
Linebacker: With Martinez likely walking away, Burks disappointing, and Goodson also a free agent, the cupboard projects to be virtually bare at linebacker. This is one spot where it would absolutely shock me if they didn't sign someone.
  • Cory Littleton, Rams: Littleton isn't going to be handling any guards in the hole any time soon, but he's a legit coverage linebacker and a reliable tackler with plenty of range. He is going to be the spendiest linebacker on the market, but he also offers a defense the most flexibility.
  • Nick Kwiatkoski, Bears: Kwiatkoski has apparently shown very well whenever injuries have forced him into the lineup for the Bears. So while there's a chance he doesn't play as well in a full time role, there's also a chance that he turns out to be a value. In what I have seen of him, he's a much more aggressive downhill player than what we've had in Green Bay.
Cornerback: While the outside starters are set for the time being, King is an uneven player entering a contract year and the depth is close to non-existent. Barely proven Chandon Sullivan being your 3rd corner is a problem.
  • Chris Harris Jr, Broncos: Harris Jr. has been the best slot corner in the league for a long time. He played on the outside almost exclusively in 2019 and thus didn't perform as well, but I would guess that a move back inside would return him to form despite his age.
  • Mackensie Alexander, Vikings: Alexander never developed into what the Vikings hoped he would, but was still a solid slot player for them last year. His former DB's coach is now in the same role for the Packers, so they should have some excellent intel on him.
  • Kendall Fuller, Chiefs: Fuller was an excellent slot corner in Washington, but the Chiefs moved him to safety. That versatility is nice, but he could also likely go back to his old role and thrive.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would add WR Randall Cobb to the WR list. His experience with Aaron Rodgers is worth $7 million in my opinion. If he could come back and be an impact player like James Jones was it would be a steal. While we are purging Cowboys, I would take Tavon Austin on a $2 million contract. I think he could find a role in the new system. He would be more of a special teams, special plays type of player than a pure WR though.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would add WR Randall Cobb to the WR list. His experience with Aaron Rodgers is worth $7 million in my opinion. If he could come back and be an impact player like James Jones was it would be a steal.

The Packers shouldn't offer Cobb a deal close to $7 million a season.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers shouldn't offer Cobb a deal close to $7 million a season.

He is the 5th best free agent at WR. 55 receptions, 828 yards, 3 tds, last year. He has more WR experience playing with Rodgers than anyone on the current roster. So convince me why we shouldn't offer Cobb a deal close to $7 million a season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't do that deal either. If they're spending money, it needs to be young guys that will be here for 3+ seasons. I wouldn't sign Cobb at this point to be that guy. I'd take a 3-4M 1 year deal after FA and draft if he's still available and I wasn't crazy about what we had to go to camp with and that's about it.

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with bringing back Cobb, he is someone Rodgers trust which seems to be a big issue with Aaron. I fine with 8 million, hopefully less. 60rec 600-800 4-8 TD, I'm ok.

I know its easy to say bring in a young guy. The reality is we do have a bunch of young guys who can't catch.

With time running out, its about now, filling that # 2 spot, Grab a young WR in the early draft.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with bringing back Cobb, he is someone Rodgers trust which seems to be a big issue with Aaron. I fine with 8 million, hopefully less. 60rec 600-800 4-8 TD, I'm ok.

I know its easy to say bring in a young guy. The reality is we do have a bunch of young guys who can't catch.

With time running out, its about now, filling that # 2 spot, Grab a young WR in the early draft.
RT, DL, ILB etc are all far more important than spending 8 million on Randall Cobb. WR was not the reason we didn't beat the 9er's. We need to build a real team, not a fantasy team. IF Cobb stayed healthy, he'd probably do that 60 receptions. But that isn't going to help us if we don't take care of RT, don't take care of DL don't take care of ILB x2, TE and probably another DB etc.

8 million is way too much for him by double or more.

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RT, DL, ILB etc are all far more important than spending 8 million on Randall Cobb. WR was not the reason we didn't beat the 9er's. We need to build a real team, not a fantasy team. IF Cobb stayed healthy, he'd probably do that 60 receptions. But that isn't going to help us if we don't take care of RT, don't take care of DL don't take care of ILB x2, TE and probably another DB etc.

8 million is way too much for him by double or more.

I agree that's why i said hopefully for less lol, fair points.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At ILB I think one needs to add Schobert out of CLE and Goodson from Green Bay obviously. I believe Goodson given his injury in the contract year and being a depth, situational support type guy he will easily be resigned for a value anyone can support.

Schobert is better in pass protection than Blake, and IMO can be the tackler Blake was the way our defense shovels things to him. He isn't as strong as Blake and at times his attack power on plays will be slightly less...but I like him along with Littleton and the Bears ILB mentioned. Those 3 are the top of my list of FAs, with Littleton the clear favorite.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Bulaga gets an offer from another team that is too rich for our blood how about resigning Veldheer and then draft a tackle kinda high and groom the kid for the future?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Bulaga gets an offer from another team that is too rich for our blood how about resigning Veldheer and then draft a tackle kinda high and groom the kid for the future?

I'd be wanting discussion with both either way. Veldheer if his desire to play is still there, and his words at the end of the year when he said it was the most fun he has ever had...then I like to think we could get a reasonable if not team friendly deal with incentives for him to make solid money as well for a resign. My worry is if we want an answer from Bulaga before Veldheer discussions occur...and someone slips in and nabs Veldheer, Bulaga goes elsewhere then and we are back to the FA pool of unknowns and hoping in drafts.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RT should be a worry point for everyone. Lots of ways it can go and none are all that appealing to me. Bulaga is going to require some cash. I'd say he's mostly worth it. He's missed some significant time with significant injuries in 2 seasons I think? The others he's always injured, but he also always guts it out and puts it all out there every week and is really very good. So without a season ending injury, he's been largely reliable even though he's on an injury report. I don't question his guts or toughness.

BUT, you don't heal better as you get older, so how much and for how long do we want to invest in him? Could easily be money not well spent, or it could be the best money we spent.

Veldheer did well in reserve, but he's battled injuries of his own and he "retired" of sorts and only played half a season roughly. Half a year and limited game work is probably easy for these guys. I remember when Brett was done, and even guys like Santana Dotson said, they ALL could come back and play a game or 2 at a high level after they were done but the day to day and what it takes to stay at the top and be there for an entire season made it impossible for them to continue at any meaningful level anymore.

So while Veldheer was a nice addition at back up, a full season still be "fun" will he make it thru one as THE starter and not the reserve man? It's a totally different game when you're the starter and i'm not confident he's up for it. At this point, he'd be brought back as my reserve man that might have to start a few games to start the season, but we're drafting an OT to take over.

Right now, both of those options seem better than what we have, which is nothing for now. Though I expect them to try and get something done with Bulaga.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RT should be a worry point for everyone. Lots of ways it can go and none are all that appealing to me. Bulaga is going to require some cash. I'd say he's mostly worth it. He's missed some significant time with significant injuries in 2 seasons I think? The others he's always injured, but he also always guts it out and puts it all out there every week and is really very good. So without a season ending injury, he's been largely reliable even though he's on an injury report. I don't question his guts or toughness.

BUT, you don't heal better as you get older, so how much and for how long do we want to invest in him? Could easily be money not well spent, or it could be the best money we spent.

Veldheer did well in reserve, but he's battled injuries of his own and he "retired" of sorts and only played half a season roughly. Half a year and limited game work is probably easy for these guys. I remember when Brett was done, and even guys like Santana Dotson said, they ALL could come back and play a game or 2 at a high level after they were done but the day to day and what it takes to stay at the top and be there for an entire season made it impossible for them to continue at any meaningful level anymore.

So while Veldheer was a nice addition at back up, a full season still be "fun" will he make it thru one as THE starter and not the reserve man? It's a totally different game when you're the starter and i'm not confident he's up for it. At this point, he'd be brought back as my reserve man that might have to start a few games to start the season, but we're drafting an OT to take over.

Right now, both of those options seem better than what we have, which is nothing for now. Though I expect them to try and get something done with Bulaga.

I could echo your sentiments/concerns from start to finish. I think Gute and Co. will and know they cannot leave the draft without at WORST case an emergency capable they suspect OT...and they cannot afford to sign an experienced veteran in free agency as well. This could be Bulaga...Veldheer or even both potentially. Both is the only option where I could understand waiting 5th round later targeting an OT in the draft. If it is a neither type situation or perhaps just one, I think your "needs board" would push OT up higher.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He is the 5th best free agent at WR. 55 receptions, 828 yards, 3 tds, last year. He has more WR experience playing with Rodgers than anyone on the current roster. So convince me why we shouldn't offer Cobb a deal close to $7 million a season.

5th best according to what?

They shouldn't spend 7M on Cobb because they have limited cap space and it could be used more effectively.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do a search of the "best" ILBs in Free Agency and see where Blake is ranked....let's not use rankings as a be all of opinions of fit for the Packers.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather pay Cobb who is both younger, had a better year than people gave him credit for, and has chemistry with Rodgers, than sign Sanders.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd prefer Anderson at WR over Sanders and he'll probably cost about the same. Packers main issue at WR is lack of real, dynamic speed in a WR that can reliably run routes; Anderson brings that while Sanders is kind of a lesser version of Adams. Obviously any reliable WR would be a massive upgrade but I think Anderson's skills would fill a larger gap in this offense than what Sanders might bring. Sharpe won't be expensive but he also is not exactly a certain upgrade at the WR position.

At TE I think it should be Henry if they want to go big, or Ebron if they want to save some money.

On defense, I don't think any major names will be coming over in free agency; upgrades on defense will most likely come from the draft (this is also probably true of WR/TE).

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright someone please explain to me how a 32 year old receiver is a better option than a 29 year old, who already has chemistry with our qb? Again if I had to choose between the two, Cobb I feel is the better choice of the two.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Alright someone please explain to me how a 32 year old receiver is a better option than a 29 year old, who already has chemistry with our qb? Again if I had to choose between the two, Cobb I feel is the better choice of the two.

It would depend on price to me. In a vacuum, Sanders is just a better player. But if he cost significantly more, then I might agree with your conclusion.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would depend on price to me. In a vacuum, Sanders is just a better player. But if he cost significantly more, then I might agree with your conclusion.
Granted I really haven't watched Sanders play throughout his career, so Im really gonna take your word in regards to him being a better player than Cobb, even though I find that hard to believe, especially at this point in their careers. But I trust you.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5th best according to what?

They shouldn't spend 7M on Cobb because they have limited cap space and it could be used more effectively.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wr+.....69i57j0l7.2245j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Player - 2019 salary - Not including bonuses
Amari Cooper - $14 million 79 receptions, 1,189 yards, eight touchdowns
AJ Green - $12 million DNP
Emmanual Sanders - $10 million 66 receptions, 869 yards, five touchdowns
Robby Anderson - $3 million 52 receptions, 779 yards, five touchdowns
Randall Cobb - $2 million 55 receptions, 828 yards, three touchdowns
Breshard Perriman - $2 million 36 receptions, 645 yards, six touchdowns
Danny Amendola - $4 million 62 receptions, 648 yards, one touchdown
Philip Dorsett - $1.5 million 29 catches, 397 yards, five touchdowns

As far as having limited cap space, I agree with you. If you check the market value of these receivers you aren't getting any of the top 6 for less than $5 million. Anderson and Perriman are possible targets as well. I just believe that having played with Rodgers longer than anyone else that is available is a huge bonus. If you are fine with the Wide Receivers on the roster, than you are one of the few that was happy with the play of our WR corp on this board.

Reaction score
This is all obviously hypothetical until we know who GB moves on from in FA.

In general, the more I’m looking at it, the more I feel like we can get 3-4 starters out of this draft of 10 players. I feel like the WR position aligns perfectly with our needs and the talent level is like getting many options that slip a round in many years. (Eg, a 3rd rounder will be 2nd round talent level etc:.).
We may need to trade up slightly inside day 2, but nothing dramatic. They would ideally be from this group. Much will depend on who we resign.
LB, OT, WR, DT, C, TE (not necessarily in that order).

The positions I think we need most in FA would be
TE (Graham’s successor)
ILB (Martinez successor)
DT (to pair upfront)
WR (as a #2-#3 type)

If we resign most of our own FA we should still be able to get 2 starters out of FA.

positions I’d like to see us double down.. WR and LB
Honestly even if we resigned all but 2-3 FA.. (such as losing Graham and Taylor) doubling down would pay huge dividends.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I would love to say we have the fiscal ability to sign a #1 TE, a #1 ILB, a starting #2 WR and a DT to pair with Clark....albeit at the expense of ignoring signing a RT which is presently perhaps the largest void we have outside ILB (loss Goodson and Blake)....it simply is not happening, unless it is a bunch of old final years veterans to start as stop gaps to bridge to the future.

Which I'll be honest I've come around to the position at tight end sign Lewis and pair with a draft pick, but you gotta grab a top flight WR in the draft or spend for a surefire #2/#3 in FA to do so...but that TE move SAVES a lot of cash....enough to possibly justify resigning the likes of Bulaga...which if you can convince Bulaga and Veldheer to resign, cut Linsley and the desperate nature of RT can be saved perhaps for another year and allow cash and draft picks to focus elsewhere with a win now mentality.

ILB, RT, WR, DT.....CB and TE are the issues to be actively looking for guys in both FA and Draft with a keener attention. That said only position I'm fine with us spending serious top dollar cash for it's position in FA is ILB given our cash situation. Should we cut Linsley, I believe then and only then can it become realistic to imagine a world where GB adds the likes of a Littleton at ILB and a Robbie Anderson at WR or a Littleton and Hooper pairing in FA.

Because keep in mind while small you have resigns set to occur or be discuss with the likes of Goodson, Crosby, Bulaga, Veldheer, Lewis, Tramon...and shoot this is all operating under the assumption we are cutting Graham...watch Green Bay and Graham shock everyone and re-structure....