Frazier says talk of Packers’ undefeated season motivates Vikings

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Packers cornerback Charles Woodson is openly talking about the possibility of Green Bay going 19-0. Vikings coach Leslie Frazier wants to bring that to an end. Frazier said he’s heard the talk that this year’s Packers could join the 1972 Dolphins as the only perfect teams in NFL history, and that he’d like that talk…
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
lol

Too bad they can't do anything about it. Not like it's a secret though. Since the Pats and Colts in recent years people are aware of the possibility of the perfect season again. The longer the Pack win the more you will hear "Well team X is motivated to knock off Green Bay so they can be the team who gives them their first loss." And it's not like any team would not be motivated to beat the Packers regardless.

No secret.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
He's part of the Dungy coaching tree.

They motivate, quietly. In a boring way......

"Men. We need to go out today and make some big football plays. Play some good football. "

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I've been saying it all year long, us being the Defending Champs, and undefeated at that, is why teams are playing us lights out. Look at last week, San Diego just wouldn't give up and roll over, they fought it out, just like the Saints did, just like the Panthers did, and even the Vikings gave us a fight. That's why our defense gets torched to pieces every single week, cause the team that hands us our first loss won't care if they win another game the rest of the season, as long as they can say "We took out the defending champs" that's their season, so far this season, we have been played lights out, teams have given us 100% against us, including Minnesota whom everyone expected to roll over.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I actually don't think it will be a nailbiter as of now. Just a hunch......

Of course this depends on how much the Packers D improves. I suspect they will play a better game Monday night.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I've been saying it all year long, us being the Defending Champs, and undefeated at that, is why teams are playing us lights out. Look at last week, San Diego just wouldn't give up and roll over, they fought it out, just like the Saints did, just like the Panthers did, and even the Vikings gave us a fight. That's why our defense gets torched to pieces every single week, cause the team that hands us our first loss won't care if they win another game the rest of the season, as long as they can say "We took out the defending champs" that's their season, so far this season, we have been played lights out, teams have given us 100% against us, including Minnesota whom everyone expected to roll over.
I know you've been saying it Bogie and I've been saying that it doesn't matter. This team knows all too well what is coming their way each week. Every single team is going to give them their best shot. Nobody is going to lay down in their remaining games and each and every player from each opposing team is going to take chances because they have nothing to lose.
As for what Woodson said let me ask you this: when he said the Packers were playing poor football defensively, do you think the Vikings said "Well, oh heck, we should cut them some slack this week, look what Woodson's saying"? A resounding no because the Vikings want this victory more than any other this year since they've already lost the first game to us.
You can say "I told you so" all you want once they lose but I'm not buying into the pessimism. I'm going to enjoy the ride while it lasts and if that's all season long all the better. I'll be here to listen to it, but just be prepared, just a little, for the possibility I might say it to you.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know you've been saying it Bogie and I've been saying that it doesn't matter. This team knows all too well what is coming their way each week. Every single team is going to give them their best shot. Nobody is going to lay down in their remaining games and each and every player from each opposing team is going to take chances because they have nothing to lose.
As for what Woodson said let me ask you this: when he said the Packers were playing poor football defensively, do you think the Vikings said "Well, oh heck, we should cut them some slack this week, look what Woodson's saying"? A resounding no because the Vikings want this victory more than any other this year since they've already lost the first game to us.

And.... ???

Of course Bogie's right and so are you, obviously. The Packers know this too and they know what they have to do.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess a motivated loss is better than an unmotivated one for the Vikings then?

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
And.... ???

Of course Bogie's right and so are you, obviously. The Packers know this too and they know what they have to do.
And...???? What?
I ended my post BECAUSE I made my point. It's possible either one of us might be correct. We can't know until the future unfolds. It seems you need further definition.
I'd certainly sleep more comfortably if I could guarantee the Packers know this stuff and know what they have to do. That is in fact the basis of my optimism. I sell stuff, they play football. I believe without knowing the inner workings of a world championship football club that they are aware of the challenges they face and will rise to the challenge.
That is exactly my point in case you missed it Bozz, I'm not buying into the pessimism that happens on Packer posts all over the web. I believe I will enjoy the ride while it lasts.
I'm not harping on people for having doubts, but it is the idea behind a forum to give voice to dissenting ideas. I'm choosing to be optimistic and not rose colored homer glasses but based in fact. There is no single argument in favor of any upcoming teams to defeat the World Champions.
You're welcome to wallow in doubt but I'm just throwing a ray of hope out there for those who've suffered so long this season, lol.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Frazier and the Vikes probably would have had an easier time pulling off the upset 2 weeks ago. We had no idea who Christian Ponder was or how he played the game and they caught us off guard, if they were going to beat us they should have done it then.

Now we know what Ponder can and can't do and we can adjust and gameplan accordingly. I think we'll win by a much wider margin this time. Especially now we're playing at home

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well what else can he say?
He's coaching a team in the cellar whose future is in doubt until they get a stadium somewhere locked up.
So Coach doesn't want his players to psych themselves out knowing what they are up against.
Undefeated SB champs on their own natural grass with the best fan base in the States.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Frazier and the Vikes probably would have had an easier time pulling off the upset 2 weeks ago. We had no idea who Christian Ponder was or how he played the game and they caught us off guard, if they were going to beat us they should have done it then.

Now we know what Ponder can and can't do and we can adjust and gameplan accordingly. I think we'll win by a much wider margin this time. Especially now we're playing at home

I just realized that 3 of the Packers remaining 8 games are on the road. Only 3!!! I will stick to my original prediction. At best 16-0. At worst 14-2.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I said that in one of the MANY defensive threads..Just cant recall what thread it was...

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I am not sure being undefeated and being the defending Champs is the reason that sometimes there are wide open receivers vs. the Packers defense.

There are some communication issues or something going on at times to me. I still think the talent and coaching is too good for them to get beaten as badly as they have been. This is not an all time bad defense like the Colts are developing (QB rating vs. the Indy D is astoundingly high) or a lack of pure talent like on the Pats D. Maybe you need Neal. Maybe you miss Collins but the pass D was still beaten with Collins in there to start the season.

Of course in the case with the Panthers/Vikings you played two rookie QBs with little tape on them. I think Monday night is a big test for this Pack D. They must show some improvement and adjustments. I would rather see the Pack D get beaten by Peterson at times then by Ponder in round 2. Peterson can run on anyone and I can excuse that sometimes.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Jules- I agree with everything you wrote.

Though I agree that other teams are heavily motivated to knock the champs off of the pedestal, I do not believe this has played a significant role with the Packer defense playing as poorly as they have.

They have the talent and, from all the recent comments from the coaches and players, it looks like they are in agreement on the need to do better. I think this could very well be the turn-around point for this D and the wins could go from "Whew! We just barely got out of that game with a W" to comfortable blow-outs.

It's been an awesome and enjoyable season thus far! Can't wait for more.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I am not sure being undefeated and being the defending Champs is the reason that sometimes there are wide open receivers vs. the Packers defense.

This is completely off-topic, but I had to pay my respects to your new avatar Jules. Perhaps the only win the Colts have this year -- suck for Luck.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And...???? What?
I ended my post BECAUSE I made my point. It's possible either one of us might be correct. We can't know until the future unfolds. It seems you need further definition.
I'd certainly sleep more comfortably if I could guarantee the Packers know this stuff and know what they have to do. That is in fact the basis of my optimism. I sell stuff, they play football. I believe without knowing the inner workings of a world championship football club that they are aware of the challenges they face and will rise to the challenge.
That is exactly my point in case you missed it Bozz, I'm not buying into the pessimism that happens on Packer posts all over the web. I believe I will enjoy the ride while it lasts.
I'm not harping on people for having doubts, but it is the idea behind a forum to give voice to dissenting ideas. I'm choosing to be optimistic and not rose colored homer glasses but based in fact. There is no single argument in favor of any upcoming teams to defeat the World Champions.
You're welcome to wallow in doubt but I'm just throwing a ray of hope out there for those who've suffered so long this season, lol.

What I'm saying is that you think your point is contrary to his. It's not.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
The banter in the posts following that story are good reading. These posts are one of the reasons I like Vikings fans so much...they get it... "it" being the spirit of the rivalry, and the fun that it SHOULD entail. Those guys will talk crap even when their team stinks, and they KNOW their team stinks, but, just don't care. They're going to talk crap no matter what. Bears fans just plain suck. ;)

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
What I'm saying is that you think your point is contrary to his. It's not.

I have to agree ... it seems to me that the points made, in the manner that they were made, do seem to run concurrent. I think that we're all in agreement that the Pack will get every opponent's top-shelf effort because the Pack are the Champs.
...but frankly, if that defense stinks...and I say it stinks, I'm thinking that I am stating the obvious...I don't think that I'm being negative or 'doom and gloom' -- because the "D" right now is stinkin' up the joint...reminding me in a way of the '82 Packers (I think..I'm going from memory here) who had a potent POTENT offensive machine for that time, yet finished 8-8 because the defense was a turnstile.

I didn't think that LAST YEAR'S defense was good enough at this point of the season to even toy with the notion of being in the Super Bowl much less WINNING the Super Bowl ... and I was wrong. Conversely though, the defense at the mid-point of last season was not the same defense that showed up the last 7 games of last season.

So... my stance is exactly the same as Don's ... ENJOY THE RIDE, FOLKS. :)

Reaction score
The Vikings are looking at this next game as the Superbowl for them. They have nothing to lose and bragging rights to gain.
I will admit, this game scares me. It's always some bottom feeding team to pull an upset.
Trapped

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
You can say "I told you so" all you want once they lose but I'm not buying into the pessimism. I'm going to enjoy the ride while it lasts and if that's all season long all the better. I'll be here to listen to it, but just be prepared, just a little, for the possibility I might say it to you.

From history, we should know, the defending Super Bow champions every year have a target on their back

Last year, the Saints were out played by many teams that they could have easily blown out, and even lost to teams that couldn't even win 8 games. The Steelers back in 2009 point the finger at injuries, but they also lost games they could have won, because everyone wants to beat the defending champs.

The Giants won 12 games coming off their Super Bowl victory, but look at the team that handed them their first loss. The Browns only won 2 games after blowing out the defending champs of that year, because that one game totally made their season, it didn't matter to them after that, they had that one game to brag about the entire season despite losing 12 games.

If you have a chance to give the defending Super Bowl champions their first loss, that's just enough motivation in itself to give them a lights out performance, and so far that is what everyone has done. I don't take this game lightly. The Vikings almost beat us a few weeks ago, yet that seems to be forgotten by now, but this is also divisional. Divisional games, I don't care if you're undefeated and playing a winless team, a divisional opponent has more chance of beating you than any other team, because they know you from playing you twice a season. While everyone is thinking this is going to be a blow out thanks to the Vegas spread sheets, I'm actually worried about this game, because it's divisional.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts