1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Forgotten Packers

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Jul 20, 2011.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Hi guys I was wondering if you guys could think of any packers (Pre Favre era) you would consider great players that no one ever talks about? Trying to put something together for the forum at some point and bringing back old names would help. I know we have some members on here that know all about the "old school" players.

2. AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan Section 121 Row 47

Ratings:
    +339
    Lynn Dickey obviously. Zeke Bratkowski is a name that never gets mentioned, Cecil Isbell and Tobin Rote were EXCELLENT Packer quarterbacks.

At running back, John Brockington, Donny Anderson, Vince Workman, Keith Woodside, and Brent Fullwood.

Jeff Query was one my favorite players when I was growing up. I also loved Chuck Cecil.

3. AllouezPackerFan

Ratings:
    +339
    Obviously you can go wayyyyy back and talk about guys like Cal Hubbard, Cub Buck, Arnie Herber, Johnny "Blood" McNally, Clarke Hinkle, Tony Canadeo, and even Curly Lambeau. My grandpa always loved talking about Arnie Herber because he was a Green Bay native and went to West High School.

I can still hear him, "Arnie Herber...Green Bay native, could throw the ball 60 yards with pin point accuracy."

4. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    Dave Robinson, Jerry Kramer and Dan Currie all belong in the Pro Football Hall of fame. Everyone knows Willie Davis, but few can mention Bob Skoronski, and he was the offensive captain for years under Lombardi. Go ahead and google Henry Jordan, Lionel Aldridge, Ron Kostelnik and Lee Roy Caffey and read about how their lives ended waaaay too soon. Gale Gillingham is an interesting read too, crazy how his career came to an end.

5. LAG

LAG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +164
    Mike "Maddog" Douglass. Jan Stenerud. MacArthur Lane. Ezra Johnson. Paul Coffman. John Jefferson.

6. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    Well, going back I dunno how GOOD they were (I was a kid) but they stick in my head.

Tim Harris
    Don Majikowski
    Lynn Dickey, saw a game\ played against the SB champ Redskins and man, he was tearing them up!!!
    James Lofton

7. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    Willie Wood, Herb Adderley, Carroll Dale, Travis Williams, and although Nitschke gets some love I don't think he gets enough.

8. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Ed "toolbox" West, Ken Ruettgers, Mike McCoy (DL, played OL in a pinch and got his leg broken), Chester Marcol, Larry McCarren

9. Helmets

Helmets Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +222
    Willie Buchanan, Ken Bowman, Dick Himes, and Charles Martin for slamming McMahon...

10. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    Chuck Cecil was the James Harrison of his day, just a wrecking ball. Lynn Dickey was a scream to watch with Sterling. Ed West and Paul Caufman were great pass catching TEs. Tim Harris was really great for a bit. The first Packer sack master that I remember. Oh, and Bryce Paup was great to watch for a bit.

11. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    Brian Noble

Eddie Lee Ivory

Bryce Paup

12. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,477

GREAT?? I think he was great at eating hotdogs lol

13. Helmets

Helmets Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +222
    Psst...
    Dickey retired following the '85 season. Sterling Sharpe joined the NFL as a rookie in 1988...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Helmets

Helmets Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +222
    Willie Wood, Doug Hart.

I met and shot with Doug Hart at a sporting clays tournament in Florida a few years back. At lunch we argued as to if he was the one that broke Devine's leg. He claimed it wasn't him, but watching that game as a know it all seven year old, I remembered it differently.

15. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    That was the defensive end known as Ezra Johnson.

His motto- "Why be a hotdog when you can eat them?"

He liked his with pickle relish and lots of mustard....ketchup gave him gas....

Johnson gobbled up QBs . . . hot dog - JSOnline

16. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,477
    Thought it was Brent on sidelines of a Bear game when Forrest was HC?

17. LAG

LAG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +164
    Sterling Sharpe came to GB as a rookie in '88, while Dickey retired after the '85 season.

Charles Martin a great player? Alright. Then how about Mossy Cade, lol.

18. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123
    Didn't Michael Jackson & Paul McCartney do a song about him? (think hard on this one)

• Like Like x 5
  19. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,477
    ebony and ivory :p

• Like Like x 1
  20. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    "GreenBayGal will be here all week...now be sure to take care of those hard working bartenders..."

21. totalpackers

totalpackers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Just wrote an article for the Packers Hall of Fame site -- Packers not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame that should be. Without going into all the reasons why, which are many, here is the list.
    Not all pre-Favre, but I'd be happy to put any of them up for debate with the greatest of all time.
    Lavvie Dilweg
    Bobby Dillon
    Billy Howton
    Jerry Kramer
    Dave Robinson
    Sterling Sharpe
    LeRoy Butler

22. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,477
    Wow Butler isnt in??

23. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123
  24. AllouezPackerFan

Ratings:
    +339
    I honestly feel like Cecil Isbell and Tobin Rote are two of the most overlooked Packers in team history. Both were EXCEPTIONAL quarterbacks.

25. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,230
    It's hard to make a case for this guy being 'forgotten' given his stature and the accolades he's received over the years...but his is still the jersey I came closest to buying...as I've said, I've NEVER owned a jersey with a player's name on it. Now, I wasn't a kid when he played...I was in my late teens/early 20's, I have a vivid recollection of the guy who ran like a gazelle (and also had a rep for dropping an easy one every now and again) and essentially rewrote the Packers' record book. On top of that, the guy was a gentleman's gentleman - and I really believe he got a bum deal in lilly-white Green Bay of the 70's and 80's - like it or not, times were a whole lot different than they are now 30 years ago...and when all is said and done...well... you know.... anyway, I'd have to say James Lofton. I really wish that he would have finished up in Green Bay, but hey...he got to his Super Bowl with Buffalo...so... you know... I'm happy for him.