Fitzgerald's OT Catch Breakdown

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For guys who want to know how he got so open. To put it simply, Randall messed up big time.

Pre snap.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Here's just after the snap. Man coverage with a safety deep, except Randall, who lets Fitzgerald run by. Randall is circled in yellow.

Here's right before the ball is thrown. Everyone is still man to man and Randall is in zone in the middle of nowhere. The Cardinal receiver on the far right does have Packer behind him too. Just hard to see.

Couple that breakdown with some bad tackling and great run, and Fitzgerald is almost gone. Hopefully, Randall can learn from this play.

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-17_9-57-53.png
    upload_2016-1-17_9-57-53.png
    343.2 KB · Views: 95
  • upload_2016-1-17_9-58-58.png
    upload_2016-1-17_9-58-58.png
    347 KB · Views: 75

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn they tried to blame it on peppers saying defense was in cover 3 but from this looks like Randall didn't get the play. Granted minus his int they lose in regular time anyways so...

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
Sucks. But hes a rookie who played great this season ( I was an early doubter, when it seemed like everyone was praising his play) but i gotta give the man his props. I still think Ha-Ha put himself in bad position as well.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mathews chased him down, and let up. Then missed him with a hand tackle. I bet he is pissed at himself...

That play was brutal.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as painful as it to see a blown coverage, it would have been much worse if fitz made a spectacular catch for the same gain. better we fked up than having them take the credit.:D

OP
OP
Carl

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn they tried to blame it on peppers saying defense was in cover 3 but from this looks like Randall didn't get the play. Granted minus his int they lose in regular time anyways so...

Who said that? It's clearly not a cover 3. Even if it was, Fitzgerald's area wouldn't be Pepper's job.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who said that? It's clearly not a cover 3. Even if it was, Fitzgerald's area wouldn't be Pepper's job.

Before we crucify him are we sure about this? This could easily be a variation of Cover 4. There just happened to be people in the other 3 deep zones (making it look like man there) and none in Randall's so Randall played for the RB going deep or underneath coverage on the guy behind him.

There is a possibility that was Peppers responsibility given the images above. Though it looks like to me he thought he was a spy.

OP
OP
Carl

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before we crucify him are we sure about this? This could easily be a variation of Cover 4. There just happened to be people in the other 3 deep zones (making it look like man there) and none in Randall's so Randall played for the RB going deep or underneath coverage on the guy behind him.

There is a possibility that was Peppers responsibility given the images above. Though it looks like to me he thought he was a spy.

In the second picture, the defender just behind Peppers runs with the WR laterally across the hashmarks. That tells me it wasn't a zone.

I think Peppers had Johnson had he gone out for a pass or a spy as you said.

Of course, my analysis of the play could be incorrect as I'm not a coordinator by any means.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Idk somewhere last night they said it was cover 3 and that peppers was responsible for the flat. As both ilb blitzed on the play

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think your right it was man with safety playing deep middle. Nobody is facing the qb as they likely would be if it were a zone concept. Randall just looks confused standing there all by himself.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But really who cares one play didn't lose us the game, we still had a chance to force a field goal

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as painful as it to see a blown coverage, it would have been much worse if fitz made a spectacular catch for the same gain. better we fked up than having them take the credit.:D
Could not possibly disagree more

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well except Peppers that is. What doesn't make sense is why would you spy Carson Palmer he's know threat to run. Peppers must have had the back if he released

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, see that is kind of what I am talking about. Man and zone aren't that different except your responsibilities. In zone you shouldn't always be looking at the quarterback. Especially when someone is in your zone you should be covering them.

There are so many variations of defense, it's really hard to speculate. Would have to have someone say what the problem was.

I too think Peppers was out of position, spy makes no sense on Palmer.

Edit: The other thing is look at Peppers and Burnett's lineups... both exactly on the hashes. (2nd pic above) When the guy in the flat goes out Burnett is on it. Yet Peppers runs from far hash to quarterback. Usually a spy at snap will run dead center to the formation to be able to react both ways equally.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I am going to crucify anyone over this its Shields. He is the fastest guy on the field and he ****ing quit. He took a bad angle and then just shut it down while Clay, Rudy and Casey had to chase him down. Shields could have had him and he just quit. He also dropped what could have been a pick 6 earlier. Very pissed at him today.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I am going to crucify anyone over this its Shields. He is the fastest guy on the field and he ******* quit. He took a bad angle and then just shut it down while Clay, Rudy and Casey had to chase him down. Shields could have had him and he just quit. He also dropped what could have been a pick 6 earlier. Very pissed at him today.

He played a damn good game though... Yes he can't can't catch. Atleast he was in position to catch the INT. And not being burned.

But seems like no one in the secondary can. If I counted right between last week and this one. There were 7 missed interceptions. That is insane.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He played a damn good game though... Yes he can't can't catch. Atleast he was in position to catch the INT. And not being burned.

But seems like no one in the secondary can. If I counted right between last week and this one. There were 7 missed interceptions. That is insane.
and that is something Dom specifically talked about prior to the game. You CAN NOT leave turnovers on the field. Totally different play but I noticed something else where a guy quit and didn't chase someone down. James Jones on that negated pick 6 by peterson. I swear I saw him start to run and then grab his leg and stop. That hammy has to still be blown from week 4 or 5.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Also known as a one way ticket home.

OP
OP
Carl

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
`
Yeah, see that is kind of what I am talking about. Man and zone aren't that different except your responsibilities. In zone you shouldn't always be looking at the quarterback. Especially when someone is in your zone you should be covering them.

There are so many variations of defense, it's really hard to speculate. Would have to have someone say what the problem was.

I too think Peppers was out of position, spy makes no sense on Palmer.

Edit: The other thing is look at Peppers and Burnett's lineups... both exactly on the hashes. (2nd pic above) When the guy in the flat goes out Burnett is on it. Yet Peppers runs from far hash to quarterback. Usually a spy at snap will run dead center to the formation to be able to react both ways equally.

If it was a zone, I would think Shields would let his go guy across the middle for Haha, and then have the deep left.

You're right in that we'd have to have someone say what happened to know for sure.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was one of those improvised ab lib plays that nobody expects Palmer to make. It was a broken play all the way around for both sides. That wasn't some kind of planned play on AZ's part. Nobody in their right mind expected that Palmer could make a play like that. Palmer was running around blindly in the pocket on that play expecting to get sacked and he was even running into the backs of his OL. Was just a fluke play.

Also, looking at that play, if Randall didn't do what he did, AZ had a play deep toward that right side anyway. AZ had a WR crossing the field deep toward the right sideline where a well thrown ball was an easy catch. So either way, AZ was most likely going to make a play there.

It was just a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation.

Latest posts