Fitzgerald's OT Catch Breakdown

OP
OP
Carl

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was one of those improvised ab lib plays that nobody expects Palmer to make. It was a broken play all the way around for both sides. That wasn't some kind of planned play on AZ's part. Nobody in their right mind expected that Palmer could make a play like that. Palmer was running around blindly in the pocket on that play expecting to get sacked and he was even running into the backs of his OL. Was just a fluke play.

Also, looking at that play, if Randall didn't do what he did, AZ had a play deep toward that right side anyway. AZ had a WR crossing the field deep toward the right sideline where a well thrown ball was an easy catch. So either way, AZ was most likely going to make a play there.

It was just a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation.

I don't see the Arizona WR crossing the middle open on the right. The defender is right behind him and Randall isn't close to the receiver anyway.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dropping
He played a damn good game though... Yes he can't can't catch. Atleast he was in position to catch the INT. And not being burned.

But seems like no one in the secondary can. If I counted right between last week and this one. There were 7 missed interceptions. That is insane.
Dropping interceptions is the quickest way to lose a close game. Shields was a former WR and should have made the picks. The Packers gave him big money to come through when it counted. He let the team down.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dropping

Dropping interceptions is the quickest way to lose a close game. Shields was a former WR and should have made the picks. The Packers gave him big money to come through when it counted. He let the team down.

I wouldn't argue that, of course he could... But it isn't the fastest way to lose a game. Rodgers missing by 4 feet on 4th down is also one. Dropping coverage assignments, and million other things that did happened yesterday.

Should he have caught those... Of course. Is it the single reason we lost no. Rodgers was far from perfect as well.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see the Arizona WR crossing the middle open on the right. The defender is right behind him and Randall isn't close to the receiver anyway.

Defender is BEHIND him. Randall is in LOS between Palmer and the WR. A well thrown ball is completed there if Randall isn't in LOS.

And Randall isn't close? Hes about 10 yards (give or take) away looks to me. Plenty of room there for Randall to make a play if a ball is thrown to that WR. Especially with Palmer throwing that ball.

Last edited:

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mystery solved:
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...-coverage-vs-fitzgerald-not-peppers/78985318/

Capers says Randall should have carried Fitzgerald across the field and Peppers did his job. He also mentions that on a blitz like that, the QB cannot have so much time and that even though those mistakes were made, it still should not have gone 75 yards.

Thanks for finding that, so much blame going around. Seems like it was a combination of errors, Randall should have carried further. But at the same time the defense relies on the front get pressure with 5.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts