Tight End Breakdown

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The tight end position is arguably the biggest roster hole for the Packers at the moment. This class is also loaded with tight end prospects. However, none of these prospects are slam dunks-- they all have clear strengths and some real questions. Here's how I'm thinking about it:

For reference on TE types or styles:

-Y: playside in-line
-F: flex/slot
-H: backfield move blocker
-U: backside in-line

Dalton Kincaid, Utah:

-Size:
6'4", 246#, 32.6" arm, 10.25" hand

-RAS: N/A (no testing)

-Production: 70/890/8 (12 games)

-Style: F only

-Why He Will Succeed: Demonstrates clear receiving traits to separate and find holes in zone; elite hands.

-Why He Won't: Serious problems as a blocker; limits his usage.

-Ceiling Comp: Poor man's Travis Kelce

-Low End Comp: Eric Ebron

-Note: I'm highly conflicted on Kincaid; he clearly has the most advanced receiving skills, but he's old, he hasn't tested (RAS highly relevant at TE), and he is the worst blocker on this list (matters in an MLF offense).

Darnell Washington, Georgia:

-Size:
6'6.5", 264#, 34.4" arm, 11" hand

-RAS: 9.88

-Production: 28/454/2

-Style: Y; maybe F on occasion

-Why He Will Succeed: Keeps his weight under control to foster success as a receiver and dominates as a blocker

-Why He Won't: Balloons up to 290# and is exclusively a blocker

-Ceiling Comp: Rob Gronkowski

-Low End Comp: Marcedes Lewis

-Note: I am so tantalized by Washington. He played really heavy and then tested lighter. If he can dial in at ~265, there's elite potential there. But if he can't control his conditioning, he isn't going to be a very useful player.

Michael Mayer, Notre Dame:

-Size:
6'4.5", 249#, 31.6" arm, 9.5" hand

-RAS: 7.62

-Production: 67/809/9 (12 games)

-Style: Y, F, U

-Why He Will Succeed: Both blocking and receiving translate, making him a complete TE who creates mismatches with ease.

-Why He Won't: Lack of elite athleticism limits receiving upside and small frame means his blocking fails to translate.

-Ceiling Comp: Pat Freiermuth

-Low End Comp: Jake Butt

-Note: I am highly skeptical that Mayer will be a great blocker with his frame. Comps to Witten don't make sense to me; Witten was significantly bigger and more athletic. If he's just an OK blocker, he isn't a super compelling prospect.

Luke Musgrave, Oregon State:

-Size:
6'5.7", 253#, 32.6" arm, 10.4" hand

-RAS: 9.77

-Production: 22/304/1 (2021)

-Style: F, U

-Why He Will Succeed: Will grow enough as a blocker to be passable and elite athleticism will allow him to be a downfield playmaker

-Why He Won't: Athleticism won't translate to TE savvy in the short/intermediate passing game

-Ceiling Comp: Darren Waller

-Low End Comp: Coby Fleener

-Note: I am not against Musgrave, but I do think he will be a longer term project.

Tucker Kraft, South Dakota State:

-Size:
6'4.6", 254#, 32.75" arm, 10" hand

-RAS: 9.67

-Production: 27/348/3 (9 games)

-Style: Y, U, F

-Why He Will Succeed: High end athleticism translates along with blocking prowess to make him a complete TE and mismatch weapon.

-Why He Won't: Jump from FCS proves too much to handle.

-Ceiling Comp: Dallas Goedert

-Low End Comp: Daniel Bellinger

-Note: I am sky high on Kraft; I think he will become what everyone wants Mayer to be. He's the only guy on this list that I've seen in-person and it was super impressive (saw Goedert live too and Kraft was more impressive).

Sam LaPorta, Iowa:

-Size:
6'3.2", 245#, 32.1" arm, 10.25" hand

-RAS: 9.01

-Production: 58/657/1

-Style: H, F

-Why He Will Succeed: Receiving skills flourish outside of Iowa's very limited offense.

-Why He Won't:
Size limitations cap his usage.

-Ceiling Comp: Chris Cooley

-Low End Comp: Irv Smith Jr.

-Note: I think LaPorta is going to pay off big for some team as long as his length allows him to be more than an H-back.

Luke Schoonmaker, Michigan:

-Size:
6'5.2", 251#, 32.9" arm, 9" hand

-RAS: 9.86

-Production: 35/418/3

-Why He Will Succeed: Low volume Michigan passing game hid his potential and he breaks out at the next level as combo TE.

-Why He Won't: Not capable enough of a receiver to provide a real threat.

-Ceiling Comp: T.J. Hockenson

-Low End Comp: Luke Willson

-Note: Schoonmaker would be right up there with the top guys in this class if he was a couple years younger.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Per request:

Zack Kuntz, Old Dominion:

-Size:
6'7.3", 255#, 34" arm, 10.25 hand

-RAS: 10.00

-Production: 73/692/5 (2021)

-Why He Will Succeed: Massive frame and elite athleticism.

-Why He Won't: Major jump in level of competition; did not dominate C-USA; pad level issues.

-Ceiling Comp: Mike Gesicki?

-Low End Comp: Jordan Cameron

-Note: I don't have a strong feel on Kuntz. I wonder if he could develop his frame and become a TE2 who lines up in-line and blocks. He has long arms and explosive athleticism. If he could get up to ~270, he could be a useful complement. But that would be a project.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per request:

-Size:

Thanks Dantes for the awesome breakdown!

I'm intrigued by Kuntz as a slot TE/Receiver until he adds some bulk & gets some serious coaching on blocking. He's 6'-7"+ with a 40" vertical so Love just needs to throw it within a 12' diameter circle NEAR him and it should be a reception! ;) I can't see ANY CB or Safety having success against him without mugging him before the catch.

Trade #116 & #170 to move up to the top of Round 4 to grab Kuntz to pair Washington or Kraft in the 2nd round and that's a significant upgrade to the TE room AND weapons for Love, IMHO.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per request:

-Size:

-Production: 73/692/5 (2021)

-Why He Will Succeed: Massive frame and elite athleticism.

-Why He Won't: Major jump in level of competition; did not dominate C-USA; pad level issues.

-Ceiling Comp: Mike Gesicki?

-Low End Comp: Jordan Cameron

-Note: I don't have a strong feel on Kuntz. I wonder if he could develop his frame and become a TE2 who lines up in-line and blocks. He has long arms and explosive athleticism. If he could get up to ~270, he could be a useful complement. But that would be a project.

Kuntz is a guy I want in the fourth but never before. Lot of the points you brought up just screams don’t draft first two days.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I'm intrigued by Kuntz as a slot TE/Receiver until he adds some bulk & gets some serious coaching on blocking. He's 6'-7"+ with a 40" vertical so Love just needs to throw it within a 12' diameter circle NEAR him and it should be a reception! ;) I can't see ANY CB or Safety having success against him without mugging him before the catch.

Trade #116 & #170 to move up to the top of Round 4 to grab Kuntz to pair Washington or Kraft in the 2nd round and that's a significant upgrade to the TE room AND weapons for Love, IMHO.

I see what you’re saying based on how athletic he is, but I don’t know that he’s done anything on the field to make us believe that that would work.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The tight end position is arguably the biggest roster hole for the Packers at the moment. This class is also loaded with tight end prospects. However, none of these prospects are slam dunks-- they all have clear strengths and some real questions. Here's how I'm thinking about it:

For reference on TE types or styles:

-Y: playside in-line
-F: flex/slot
-H: backfield move blocker
-U: backside in-line

Dalton Kincaid, Utah:

-Size:
6'4", 246#, 32.6" arm, 10.25" hand

-RAS: N/A (no testing)

-Production: 70/890/8 (12 games)

-Style: F only

-Why He Will Succeed: Demonstrates clear receiving traits to separate and find holes in zone; elite hands.

-Why He Won't: Serious problems as a blocker; limits his usage.

-Ceiling Comp: Poor man's Travis Kelce

-Low End Comp: Eric Ebron

-Note: I'm highly conflicted on Kincaid; he clearly has the most advanced receiving skills, but he's old, he hasn't tested (RAS highly relevant at TE), and he is the worst blocker on this list (matters in an MLF offense).

Darnell Washington, Georgia:

-Size:
6'6.5", 264#, 34.4" arm, 11" hand

-RAS: 9.88

-Production: 28/454/2

-Style: Y; maybe F on occasion

-Why He Will Succeed: Keeps his weight under control to foster success as a receiver and dominates as a blocker

-Why He Won't: Balloons up to 290# and is exclusively a blocker

-Ceiling Comp: Rob Gronkowski

-Low End Comp: Marcedes Lewis

-Note: I am so tantalized by Washington. He played really heavy and then tested lighter. If he can dial in at ~265, there's elite potential there. But if he can't control his conditioning, he isn't going to be a very useful player.

Michael Mayer, Notre Dame:

-Size:
6'4.5", 249#, 31.6" arm, 9.5" hand

-RAS: 7.62

-Production: 67/809/9 (12 games)

-Style: Y, F, U

-Why He Will Succeed: Both blocking and receiving translate, making him a complete TE who creates mismatches with ease.

-Why He Won't: Lack of elite athleticism limits receiving upside and small frame means his blocking fails to translate.

-Ceiling Comp: Pat Freiermuth

-Low End Comp: Jake Butt

-Note: I am highly skeptical that Mayer will be a great blocker with his frame. Comps to Witten don't make sense to me; Witten was significantly bigger and more athletic. If he's just an OK blocker, he isn't a super compelling prospect.

Luke Musgrave, Oregon State:

-Size:
6'5.7", 253#, 32.6" arm, 10.4" hand

-RAS: 9.77

-Production: 22/304/1 (2021)

-Style: F, U

-Why He Will Succeed: Will grow enough as a blocker to be passable and elite athleticism will allow him to be a downfield playmaker

-Why He Won't: Athleticism won't translate to TE savvy in the short/intermediate passing game

-Ceiling Comp: Darren Waller

-Low End Comp: Coby Fleener

-Note: I am not against Musgrave, but I do think he will be a longer term project.

Tucker Kraft, South Dakota State:

-Size:
6'4.6", 254#, 32.75" arm, 10" hand

-RAS: 9.67

-Production: 27/348/3 (9 games)

-Why He Will Succeed: High end athleticism translates along with blocking prowess to make him a complete TE and mismatch weapon.

-Why He Won't: Jump from FCS proves too much to handle.

-Ceiling Comp: Dallas Goedert

-Low End Comp: Daniel Bellinger

-Note: I am sky high on Kraft; I think he will become what everyone wants Mayer to be. He's the only guy on this list that I've seen in-person and it was super impressive (saw Goedert live too and Kraft was more impressive).

Sam LaPorta, Iowa:

-Size:
6'3.2", 245#, 32.1" arm, 10.25" hand

-RAS: 9.01

-Production: 58/657/1

-Style: H, F

-Why He Will Succeed: Receiving skills flourish outside of Iowa's very limited offense.

-Why He Won't:
Size limitations cap his usage.

-Ceiling Comp: Chris Cooley

-Low End Comp: Irv Smith Jr.

-Note: I think LaPorta is going to pay off big for some team as long as his length allows him to be more than an H-back.

Luke Schoonmaker, Michigan:

-Size:
6'5.2", 251#, 32.9" arm, 9" hand

-RAS: 9.86

-Production: 35/418/3

-Why He Will Succeed: Low volume Michigan passing game hid his potential and he breaks out at the next level as combo TE.

-Why He Won't: Not capable enough of a receiver to provide a real threat.

-Ceiling Comp: T.J. Hockenson

-Low End Comp: Luke Willson

-Note: Schoonmaker would be right up there with the top guys in this class if he was a couple years younger.
I saw a comp for Mayer that makes much more sense to me. Heath Miller. Not an elite athlete, but will be very consistent and a quarterbacks best friend. His ability to separate at the next level will be interesting.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IMO using 3 of your top 6 picks to upgrade the TE room is too much in my opinion.

Reaction score

I also feel like we should be aggressive this draft. Particularly if we have additional acquired 2nd Rounders 3rd Rounders. If we get an extra pair of draft picks I’m pairing one or two and being aggressive at our choice of player if it’s a position of need. Such as moving into a top 35 overall if Someone like Darnell Washington is there. Or moving into early 4th to pair him with Kuntz like you alluded to.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Big Dog will break the NFL record for most seasons (18) played at TE. He just signed with Chicago. He joins X Packer Robert Tonyan and Lucas Patrick as former Packer starters.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean because you don’t like the Bears?

Or because they signed both our starting TE’s?

I didn’t want Lewis to go to anyone but us. He wanted back but clearly couldn’t make it happen for whatever reason.

Tonyan I get and one hundred percent bet made more going elsewhere.

Reaction score
I didn’t want Lewis to go to anyone but us. He wanted back but clearly couldn’t make it happen for whatever reason.

Tonyan I get and one hundred percent bet made more going elsewhere.
Oh yeah. It a tough business. Im thankful Lewis avoided the worse case scenario of getting put out to pasture altogether though. He obviously wants to play. I wonder how much of him being here was by personal request of Aaron Rodgers.

No offense, but give me $2mil and I’ll go join the Bears forum for 1 year. I’m a cheap date and with even lower standards :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
How can we start a go fund me? TIC.
Touché! Nicely done Schultz that’s more like it :p

Just get me that $2mil and I’ll go away for a whole year! Then I’ll even take the heat of accusation for stealing from the American people, just like Rodgers.
Impeach me baby! :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think you mean like Favre?
Well I was referring to the accusations of Rodgers venture of raising money, but now that you mention it? yes, Favre is a fine example of theft!
It’s ok though I’m near bullet-proof. I’m very used to being lied to, cheated and marginalized by our current administration. I’m practically like hardened Steal
:)

Last edited: