Fire Philbin

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In series "Fire Xxxxx", Fire Philbin sounds the best with the alliteration and all.

You know this thread is coming on the first offensive play on Sunday that doesnt work, thought I would get the ball rolling early.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny, but I agree with the title of this thread. If McCarthy had to go, so does Philbin. He failed as offensive coordinator this season. I have no desire to see him as coach for 4 games.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny, but I agree with the title of this thread. If McCarthy had to go, so does Philbin. He failed as offensive coordinator this season. I have no desire to see him as coach for 4 games.

Regardless of the issues of the offense this year, need someone familiar with what they are doing to call plays. Can't get rid of everyone with 4 games left.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They aren't going to do that to the players, change all coaches, philosophy, offense, defense etc with 4 games to go. It's like sending them back to August and telling them to go play against December hardened teams. Roll with what's been installed and worked on and let them perform for their continued careers, new contracts and give them a chance to win for the fans in the stands.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I think that's part of the rationale behind letting Philbin have the keys for a few games. Murphy and Gutekunst have likely already made up their minds on Philbin's fate. No sense in putting a guy in that spot that might force you to give them a harder look.

There's going to be too many good candidates inquiring about this position to hire from within.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
Can we have a guest coach come in for the last two weeks?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hypothetical question. If the Packers were to run the table 4-0 under Philbin, what do you think the chances are that he would be kept?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sure there was...a bit for the team but mostly to save MM the continued questions, stress, and anguish of the next four weeks.
Exactly. The only issue I had was that it had the, "we can't get you out of here fast enough" appearance to it. Other than that, there were a lot of reasons to end it now. Like you said, saves the inevitable weekly questions. The locker room that knows the coach is likely out at years end. It saves the locker room from division or further division if there is already in chosing a coach you believe in, or the QB you know is staying. They can really together behind a staff familiar with everything that has been installed and worked on all year, who also has zero pressure or expectations of anything, and give these players a chance to progress, get better, and grow.

Playoffs might be over for us, but this season is not.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hypothetical question. If the Packers were to run the table 4-0 under Philbin, what do you think the chances are that he would be kept?
If that happened... I’d be pretty angry with both Rodgers and McCarthy because it would be pretty damning evidence that they put their personal feelings above the team and could not work together to succeed. It’s not like Philbin will be running a different offense.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. The only issue I had was that it had the, "we can't get you out of here fast enough" appearance to it. Other than that, there were a lot of reasons to end it now. Like you said, saves the inevitable weekly questions. The locker room that knows the coach is likely out at years end. It saves the locker room from division or further division if there is already in chosing a coach you believe in, or the QB you know is staying. They can really together behind a staff familiar with everything that has been installed and worked on all year, who also has zero pressure or expectations of anything, and give these players a chance to progress, get better, and grow.

Playoffs might be over for us, but this season is not.

i don't know about the highlighted comment. they allowed him back yesterday to talk to the team. here's an interview with murphy...

https://www.wtmj.com/sports/green-b...-successful-and-bring-us-back-a-championship-

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he can manage 5 wins in the final 4 games then we should keep him. Otherwise he should be gone.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand a statement like this. Are you professing to know what Philbin did in his role? He certainly wasn't calling the plays since that was McCarthy. The guy was an important part of the offense prior to his departure in 2011 but I don't think many of us outside Lambeau really know what he was and wasn't allowed to do by McCarthy this season.

I'll argue (feel free to disagree) that Philbin may be the best route. Philbin had a good track record within the Packers. He's been a head coach but he doesn't have any recent, relevant play-calling experience. If the team runs the table under him this year they could offer him a two year prove-it deal. Most people here agree that there are no top coaching candidates out there, we are just rummaging through what is available. So why push a square peg into a round hole? If the team shows a spark this season, they could roll with Philbin and if needed be, pull a Ray Rhodes after next season and possibly plunder a deeper/richer coaching crop at the end of 2019. If we select a young coach this season, we might be tied to a longer contract and/or the desire to give him time to make it work. With Philbin we might be able to dump him faster if he's not the one.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand a statement like this. Are you professing to know what Philbin did in his role? He certainly wasn't calling the plays since that was McCarthy. The guy was an important part of the offense prior to his departure in 2011 but I don't think many of us outside Lambeau really know what he was and wasn't allowed to do by McCarthy this season.

I'll argue (feel free to disagree) that Philbin may be the best route. Philbin had a good track record within the Packers. He's been a head coach but he doesn't have any recent, relevant play-calling experience. If the team runs the table under him this year they could offer him a two year prove-it deal. Most people here agree that there are no top coaching candidates out there, we are just rummaging through what is available. So why push a square peg into a round hole? If the team shows a spark this season, they could roll with Philbin and if needed be, pull a Ray Rhodes after next season and possibly plunder a deeper/richer coaching crop at the end of 2019. If we select a young coach this season, we might be tied to a longer contract and/or the desire to give him time to make it work. With Philbin we might be able to dump him faster if he's not the one.
Well Title Town isn’t going to answer for a while since apparently he’s been put on vacation for a bit lol..... However i’ll jump in with a thought. If I remember correctly, Philbin’s issue in Miami was that it appeared that the inmates were running the Asylum. I don’t think he has a forceful enough personality to be a good head coach. He may be a good offensive coordinator, but a head coach needs to be able to control the team. This sounds like terrible idea unless you just want Aaron Rodgers running everything....

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In series "Fire Xxxxx", Fire Philbin sounds the best with the alliteration and all.

You know this thread is coming on the first offensive play on Sunday that doesnt work, thought I would get the ball rolling early.

You beat me to the punch......I may have to just create "Fire (Fill in name of the next HC)"

If he can manage 5 wins in the final 4 games then we should keep him. Otherwise he should be gone.

I think Philbin would need 8 straight wins to be back as the HC.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Title Town isn’t going to answer for a while since apparently he’s been put on vacation for a bit lol..... However i’ll jump in with a thought. If I remember correctly, Philbin’s issue in Miami was that it appeared that the inmates were running the Asylum. I don’t think he has a forceful enough personality to be a good head coach. He may be a good offensive coordinator, but a head coach needs to be able to control the team. This sounds like terrible idea unless you just want Aaron Rodgers running everything....
There are a lot of ways to run an asylum though. A strong head coach. A brilliant mind with a personable personality, but an iron fist GM that will handle inmates that get out of control. A dictator, a benevolent dictator, a democracy, or any mishmash of the above. Maybe Gutey and Murphy want to chose the HC as an OC type and keep Pettine as DC and rule as a group with the HC being the locker room liason and game planner among the other coordinators and they'll handle the personnel.

I'm not opposed to Philbin if he shows certain things. But I wouldn't put him as a front runner right now.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a lot of ways to run an asylum though. A strong head coach. A brilliant mind with a personable personality, but an iron fist GM that will handle inmates that get out of control. A dictator, a benevolent dictator, a democracy, or any mishmash of the above. Maybe Gutey and Murphy want to chose the HC as an OC type and keep Pettine as DC and rule as a group with the HC being the locker room liason and game planner among the other coordinators and they'll handle the personnel.

I'm not opposed to Philbin if he shows certain things. But I wouldn't put him as a front runner right now.
I understand your point, but the situation he had Miami doesn’t help his case.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Philbin seems like a really nice guy, but this team seems to be in need of a big coaching enema. I think keeping Philbin as HC wouldn't accomplish that and I get the impression that both Murphy and Gute want to take this opportunity to clean house as well.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philbin seems like a really nice guy, but this team seems to be in need of a big coaching enema. I think keeping Philbin as HC wouldn't accomplish that and I get the impression that both Murphy and Gute want to take this opportunity to clean house as well.
no one left to clean out except zook and pettine. i can't imagine they would like to move pettine out. philbin out seems like a given.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Philbin is sticking around either, just saying there are situations where a non-galvanizing strong figure head, head coach could work. The situation here for Philbin could be far different than the one he had in Miami. But I think they might be looking for more of that collaborative head coach rather than the lead everyone head coach.

I don't think they want to get rid of Pettine. I think he has a good defense and is a good coach. We'll ahve young guys with a year in the system rather than starting over again. So those strong type HC's who will want to have control over all staff and such probably won't be a good fit. I think they'll be looking for someone to be that communicator among coordinators and players and Front office. it will be an important position, but not your traditional style head coach.

Members online

Latest posts