Fire Philbin

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
When was the last time an interim HC didn't get the permanent job but still remained in the staff? Maybe promoting him over Pettine is a sign that they value Pettine more.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I wonder when all the pink slips are handed out after the last game, will the kids be waiting outside of the Lambeau offices with their bikes? Might be a nice touch. :coffee:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Philbin and while I think some valid points are presented, I'm curious to what he can do in 4 games. Remember McCarthy made the play calls, and now it's Philbin's turn. We could very well witness an offensive explosion on Sunday. We might see coaching errors that we're used to witnessing(clock/timeout management) suddenly vanish. If we can put up 30+ points against the Falcons, and I do believe Pettine will give us the opportunity to compete in a shootout, I wonder if that changes things for Murphy and Gute.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Teams often surge after a head coach is fired. I think it must refocus them. The Packers could play much better on Sunday and I don't think that should be taken as a sign that Philbin is the answer.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
No sense in delaying the inevitable. That's what I always say ... er ... sometimes.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Philbin and while I think some valid points are presented, I'm curious to what he can do in 4 games. Remember McCarthy made the play calls, and now it's Philbin's turn. We could very well witness an offensive explosion on Sunday. We might see coaching errors that we're used to witnessing(clock/timeout management) suddenly vanish. If we can put up 30+ points against the Falcons, and I do believe Pettine will give us the opportunity to compete in a shootout, I wonder if that changes things for Murphy and Gute.
Pettine seems to be a good coach... but most of his defense is on IR...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Teams often surge after a head coach is fired. I think it must refocus them. The Packers could play much better on Sunday and I don't think that should be taken as a sign that Philbin is the answer.
So is it going to be "Win one for the Mikester" or "Lose one For The Bosa"?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In series "Fire Xxxxx", Fire Philbin sounds the best with the alliteration and all.

You know this thread is coming on the first offensive play on Sunday that doesnt work, thought I would get the ball rolling early.

Why would it? I'm not aware of any fans here expecting this thing to play out any way other than according to how it would have with McCarthy still here. He just is out of the sinking ship before it's all the way down and Philbin unfortunately is the guy wearing the captain's hat until it completely sinks. I mean, it was either going to be him or Pettine, although maybe it should be Zook since he's an abomination of a STC so maybe it's only fitting he gets chained down to the sinking ship.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would it? I'm not aware of any fans here expecting this thing to play out any way other than according to how it would have with McCarthy still here. He just is out of the sinking ship before it's all the way down and Philbin unfortunately is the guy wearing the captain's hat until it completely sinks. I mean, it was either going to be him or Pettine, although maybe it should be Zook since he's an abomination of a STC so maybe it's only fitting he gets chained down to the sinking ship.
his post is meant as a joke.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hypothetical question. If the Packers were to run the table 4-0 under Philbin, what do you think the chances are that he would be kept?

Unless running the table here meant actually beating the Bears convincingly in their house (don't see any way that happens) next week, not only sneaking into the playoffs but getting all the way to the NFCG or the Superbowl, then no. I mean sorry, but Atlanta, the New York Jets and Detroit are all bad teams and just simply beating them imo wouldn't prove that Philbin had become a new winner HC.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You do realize right that Philbin's playbook is MM's?

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were fans calling for MMs head after his first preseason game as Packers HC. There are quite a few fans oth there with no patience and little grasp of reality.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You do realize right that Philbin's playbook is MM's?

I'm well aware. A playbook is a tool, how that tool is used determines its effectiveness. McCarthy's playbook isn't all trash, although it does have it's deficiencies. How Philbin uses that playbook will definitely determine how the offense looks. Philbin could do a multitude of things different than McCarthy concerning game preparation and scheming. Philbin might throw a different set when he sees different defensive personnel on the field, he may have a set of plays he prefers in certain situations that McCarthy didn't, particularly when you're talking about an "offensive opener". Philbin might want an automatic audible when reading a shift in defensive alignment(Granted AR has to comply)...I can go on and on. But ultimately, how Philbin applies that playbook to the gameplan can differ. That's why some teams lose not because they aren't superior to the other team, but because they simply get outcoached by the opposing coach.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could very well witness an offensive explosion on Sunday. We might see coaching errors that we're used to witnessing(clock/timeout management) suddenly vanish.
Happily, they're showing the Packers game here on Sunday, so I'll get to watch. I'm very curious to see any differences in how the team is usually run. Philbin probably has about as much chance of being named head coach as we do of making the playoffs. But what if we do get on a run, and Rodgers backs him?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm well aware. A playbook is a tool, how that tool is used determines its effectiveness. McCarthy's playbook isn't all trash, although it does have it's deficiencies. How Philbin uses that playbook will definitely determine how the offense looks. Philbin could do a multitude of things different than McCarthy concerning game preparation and scheming. Philbin might throw a different set when he sees different defensive personnel on the field, he may have a set of plays he prefers in certain situations that McCarthy didn't, particularly when you're talking about an "offensive opener". Philbin might want an automatic audible when reading a shift in defensive alignment(Granted AR has to comply)...I can go on and on. But ultimately, how Philbin applies that playbook to the gameplan can differ. That's why some teams lose not because they aren't superior to the other team, but because they simply get outcoached by the opposing coach.

This may be all true, but I think our issues are a lot bigger than what plays or packages are being run at what time. Think this offense needs more talent and getting on the same page as ARod which likely isn't going to be fixed just changing the play caller. Plus we seen MM give up the play calling once already in his tenure and that didn't exactly work.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In series "Fire Xxxxx", Fire Philbin sounds the best with the alliteration and all.

You know this thread is coming on the first offensive play on Sunday that doesnt work, thought I would get the ball rolling early.
Well geez Amish thanks for the optimism! Not to worry. “Interim HC” has never been a more apt description. I don’t expect him to be in the new HC’s long-term plans.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny, but I agree with the title of this thread. If McCarthy had to go, so does Philbin. He failed as offensive coordinator this season. I have no desire to see him as coach for 4 games.
I think that under MM, Philbin was OC in title only. He’ll still call the games, but I’m hoping the next HC can rely on his OC, DC, and STC to manage the game. MM was a glorified OC. Bennett and Philbin probably had little if any input into play calling.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They aren't going to do that to the players, change all coaches, philosophy, offense, defense etc with 4 games to go. It's like sending them back to August and telling them to go play against December hardened teams. Roll with what's been installed and worked on and let them perform for their continued careers, new contracts and give them a chance to win for the fans in the stands.
Agreed. The new HC will determine his staff. I hope it includes Pettine. I think Philbin and especially Zook are gone come January, or at the latest, when they name a new HC.

Members online

Latest posts