1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Philbin

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by AmishMafia, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Dantés

Dantés Gute Loot

Ratings:
    +3,264
    When was the last time an interim HC didn't get the permanent job but still remained in the staff? Maybe promoting him over Pettine is a sign that they value Pettine more.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,432
    I don't know, I think 7-1 might get it done.;)

3. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +9,324
    48-45 triple OT loss to the Patriots in the SB.....I guess given where we sit today.....ok....I'm on board! :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pokerbrat2000

Ratings:
    +9,324
    I wonder when all the pink slips are handed out after the last game, will the kids be waiting outside of the Lambeau offices with their bikes? Might be a nice touch. :coffee:

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. swhitset

swhitset Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,618
    I have to disagree.... do not want the Pats in another SuperBowl lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +127
    I like Philbin and while I think some valid points are presented, I'm curious to what he can do in 4 games. Remember McCarthy made the play calls, and now it's Philbin's turn. We could very well witness an offensive explosion on Sunday. We might see coaching errors that we're used to witnessing(clock/timeout management) suddenly vanish. If we can put up 30+ points against the Falcons, and I do believe Pettine will give us the opportunity to compete in a shootout, I wonder if that changes things for Murphy and Gute.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  7. Dantés

Dantés Gute Loot

Ratings:
    +3,264
    Teams often surge after a head coach is fired. I think it must refocus them. The Packers could play much better on Sunday and I don't think that should be taken as a sign that Philbin is the answer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,610
    No sense in delaying the inevitable. That's what I always say ... er ... sometimes.

9. swhitset

swhitset Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,618
    Pettine seems to be a good coach... but most of his defense is on IR...

10. Pokerbrat2000

Ratings:
    +9,324
    So is it going to be "Win one for the Mikester" or "Lose one For The Bosa"?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,432
    Please, not the Patriots.

12. PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +850
    Why would it? I'm not aware of any fans here expecting this thing to play out any way other than according to how it would have with McCarthy still here. He just is out of the sinking ship before it's all the way down and Philbin unfortunately is the guy wearing the captain's hat until it completely sinks. I mean, it was either going to be him or Pettine, although maybe it should be Zook since he's an abomination of a STC so maybe it's only fitting he gets chained down to the sinking ship.

13. gbgary

gbgary Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +475
    his post is meant as a joke.

14. PackerfaninCarolina

Ratings:
    +850
    Unless running the table here meant actually beating the Bears convincingly in their house (don't see any way that happens) next week, not only sneaking into the playoffs but getting all the way to the NFCG or the Superbowl, then no. I mean sorry, but Atlanta, the New York Jets and Detroit are all bad teams and just simply beating them imo wouldn't prove that Philbin had become a new winner HC.

15. PackerfaninCarolina

Ratings:
    +850
    You do realize right that Philbin's playbook is MM's?

16. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,862
    There were fans calling for MMs head after his first preseason game as Packers HC. There are quite a few fans oth there with no patience and little grasp of reality.

17. PackerfaninCarolina

Ratings:
    +850
    That's a much different situation though.

18. Poppa San

Poppa San Meh Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,114
    Have to remember this next time the wife is "in the mood" and then disappointed.

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +127
    I'm well aware. A playbook is a tool, how that tool is used determines its effectiveness. McCarthy's playbook isn't all trash, although it does have it's deficiencies. How Philbin uses that playbook will definitely determine how the offense looks. Philbin could do a multitude of things different than McCarthy concerning game preparation and scheming. Philbin might throw a different set when he sees different defensive personnel on the field, he may have a set of plays he prefers in certain situations that McCarthy didn't, particularly when you're talking about an "offensive opener". Philbin might want an automatic audible when reading a shift in defensive alignment(Granted AR has to comply)...I can go on and on. But ultimately, how Philbin applies that playbook to the gameplan can differ. That's why some teams lose not because they aren't superior to the other team, but because they simply get outcoached by the opposing coach.

• Like Like x 1
  20. rmontro

rmontro Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +511
    Happily, they're showing the Packers game here on Sunday, so I'll get to watch. I'm very curious to see any differences in how the team is usually run. Philbin probably has about as much chance of being named head coach as we do of making the playoffs. But what if we do get on a run, and Rodgers backs him?

21. PackerfaninCarolina

Ratings:
    +850
    This may be all true, but I think our issues are a lot bigger than what plays or packages are being run at what time. Think this offense needs more talent and getting on the same page as ARod which likely isn't going to be fixed just changing the play caller. Plus we seen MM give up the play calling once already in his tenure and that didn't exactly work.

22. Heyjoe4

Heyjoe4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +138
    Well geez Amish thanks for the optimism! Not to worry. “Interim HC” has never been a more apt description. I don’t expect him to be in the new HC’s long-term plans.

23. Heyjoe4

Heyjoe4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +138
    I think that under MM, Philbin was OC in title only. He’ll still call the games, but I’m hoping the next HC can rely on his OC, DC, and STC to manage the game. MM was a glorified OC. Bennett and Philbin probably had little if any input into play calling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Heyjoe4

Heyjoe4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +138
    Agreed. The new HC will determine his staff. I hope it includes Pettine. I think Philbin and especially Zook are gone come January, or at the latest, when they name a new HC.

25. Heyjoe4

Heyjoe4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +138
    Zero.