Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly what upgrades occured that led anyone to believe we would suddenly have a top 5 defense? Or that our defense would carry the team? I know that the latter was an often parroted theory but based on what exactly? What is the magical catalyst that fortold the leap to a top 5 defense. People act like we were “owed” a top 5 defense just like some felt we were owed Super Bowls with Rodgers. Other teams have very good players too and you have to EARN it every week in the NFL. Enjoy that!
IMO both the pundits and the barstoolers felt the team was really week at safety. IMO they thought there were at least 2 and possibly 3 really good CBs. IMO they thought ILB would improve with the expected growth of a 2nd year 1st round pick. IMO they thought the DL would improve with the expected growth of a 2nd year 1st round pick. IMO they considered OLB a strength. IMO some feel the players have underperformed and even more feel the coaches have not done a very good job. IMO it was unrealistic to think this was going to be a top 5 defense. IMO the pleasantly surprising way the offense has played should have led to a top 10 defense.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the amount of high draft picks and development from those picks with the biggest bust out of them being Savage (well Stokes now). There's All Pro players or players that have Pro Bowl ability at every level of the D.

It was absolutely fair to expect a top 10 bordering on top 5 defense.

Other Coordinators do more with less.

Barry shouldve been fired last year. You're right we shouldn't of expected a top 5 D with him here this year cause well he's still here

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO both the pundits and the barstoolers felt the team was really week at safety. IMO they thought there were at least 2 and possibly 3 really good CBs. IMO they thought ILB would improve with the expected growth of a 2nd year 1st round pick. IMO they thought the DL would improve with the expected growth of a 2nd year 1st round pick. IMO they considered OLB a strength. IMO some feel the players have underperformed and even more feel the coaches have not done a very good job. IMO it was unrealistic to think this was going to be a top 5 defense. IMO the pleasantly surprising way the offense has played should have led to a top 10 defense.
And truthfully, had we played more winning teams this year than losing ones I do not believe we win 8 games. More like 5 or 6. The Saints and Chargers should have beaten us. The Lions and Chiefs took us lightly. We faced a lot of 2nd rate QBs. And we dodged a bullet in Minny without Cousins and Hockenson.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions and Chiefs took us lightly.

I really don't understand how when the Packers win it was because the other team took us lightly or we got lucky and every loss was because we stink.

And that's not a you specific note, seems to be a common theme that every win is because of the other teams ineptitude and every loss is because of our ineptitude.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I really don't understand how when the Packers win it was because the other team took us lightly or we got lucky and every loss was because we stink.

And that's not a you specific note, seems to be a common theme that every win is because of the other teams ineptitude and every loss is because of our ineptitude.
Speaking of which, quite a few posters have been characteristically quiet over the last two winning weeks.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
And truthfully, had we played more winning teams this year than losing ones I do not believe we win 8 games. More like 5 or 6. The Saints and Chargers should have beaten us. The Lions and Chiefs took us lightly. We faced a lot of 2nd rate QBs. And we dodged a bullet in Minny without Cousins and Hockenson.
you fail to mention how many games we.missed our top 2 offensive weapons

Jones and Watson

Actually mostly Jones. Isn't it odd the 2 games he was very healthy they score 30

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It does not mean we did not play well. But clearly the Lions and Chiefs were nowhere near their A game. Everyone knows that. I could see losing twice to the Lions and then the Chiefs. I just do not see losing to the Giants, Raiders, Steelers, Broncos, and Falcons. We should have won at least 2 of those games simply because the opposition gave us chances. And to be honest the first Viking game was very winnable with a blocked FG, a forced fumble, and Cousins out for most of the 4th quarter. Then we catch the Rams with no Stafford. But this is what happens with a very young team. They could look like world beaters one week and the next we fall apart. And that is the challenge of the coaching staff.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
End of the day I dont really care if it’s Barry or a guy management feels can do better, but I’m kind of hoping we retain Barry just so I can watch some people’s heads explode and the stupid stuff they’ll post here. BTW know who has top 10 defenses? 5 of the teams who beat us.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
End of the day I dont really care if it’s Barry or a guy management feels can do better, but I’m kind of hoping we retain Barry just so I can watch some people’s heads explode and the stupid stuff they’ll post here. BTW know who has top 10 defenses? 5 of the teams who beat us.
We have already had a good laugh over those who thought the loss of Rodgers meant we would be picking first in the upcoming draft.

If I thought there was a chance that Barry was on the brink of going all Fritz Shurmur for us I would love to have him back. But I am convinced the best Barry will ever do is average to a little above. Maybe if we had 11 HOFers starting on defense we crack the top 10, but short of that? No.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We have already had a good laugh over those who thought the loss of Rodgers meant we would be picking first in the upcoming draft.
I was one of the people that predicted only 5 wins. It wasn't really because of the loss of Rodgers, since 2022 wasn't a good season, even with Rodgers. It was more the starting of a "rookie" QB, with an all rookie or 2nd year receiving room. Fortunately, I think Love has progressed a lot faster than I thought he would, as have the TE's and WR's. Whether we make the playoffs or not, win/lose playoff game(s), win/lose the SB, I will be heading into 2024 as a very excited Packer fan. Gute will have a lot of firepower in the draft, as well as some money to spend in Free Agency. The 2024 Packer team could be really good.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was one of the people that predicted only 5 wins. It wasn't really because of the loss of Rodgers, since 2022 wasn't a good season, even with Rodgers. It was more the starting of a "rookie" QB, with an all rookie or 2nd year receiving room. Fortunately, I think Love has progressed a lot faster than I thought he would, as have the TE's and WR's. Whether we make the playoffs or not, win/lose playoff game(s), win/lose the SB, I will be heading into 2024 as a very excited Packer fan. Gute will have a lot of firepower in the draft, as well as some money to spend in Free Agency. The 2024 Packer team could be really good.
I had 11 wins and together we average about right! If the defense had made a smidgen of improvement, I think I would have been right there or even a little low.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I had 11 wins and together we average about right! If the defense had made a smidgen of improvement, I think I would have been right there or even a little low.
Sadly, I was counting on the defense as well. I agree with you, had this defense played better, the Packers could possibly have 4-5 more wins (Falcons, Saints, Raiders, Broncos, Giants).

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Every team that played us this year dodged a bullet because we had core players and front line starters in the hot tub for all 17 games.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I figured us for 10 wins and that was with Love not playing as well as he has. Imo, the veterans on this team have not shined nor displayed very good leadership in many cases.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I figured us for 10 wins and that was with Love not playing as well as he has. Imo, the veterans on this team have not shined nor displayed very good leadership in many cases.

I agree with you on the defense. From where we sit, we really didn't see much of a rudder. Maybe Preston Smith or Rashan Gary stepped up but we just didn't see it? I suspect, but could never prove, that Savage was a bit of leader for the secondary, but his individual grades combined with his injuries didn't help.

Melton's comments yesterday, combined with comments made by others throughout the year, make me think Love took over the offense.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Melton's comments yesterday, combined with comments made by others throughout the year, make me think Love took over the offense.
I think AJ33 mentored Love until he was ready to take the reins. Kept the kids in line as such then stepped aside.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every team that played us this year dodged a bullet because we had core players and front line starters in the hot tub for all 17 games.
On the flip side the Pack has had their starting QB for all 17 games. Not all of their opponents had their starters against GB.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But we do not have a guy who is "the guy". Someone who is the inspirational fiery leader. Gary and Clark are great examples for teammates, but they just aren't the sort to Amp up the spirits with an emotional outburst. Someone to get in the face if a slackass who is underperforming. And maybe we did, but Barry got tired of getting yelled at, who knows. We could use a OL who would do similar for that side of the ball, but it's less of an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online