Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And because we have such a lousy defense I really won't mind if we don't make the playoffs this year.

I don't hate JB that much to not want to be in the playoffs. I guess if someone put a gun to my head and said playoffs or JB fired you can't have both I'd take the firing, but I don't think playoffs is necessarily going to save his job.

If they make the playoffs and get blown out so be it. I'll take more meaningful gamedays.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't hate JB that much to not want to be in the playoffs. I guess if someone put a gun to my head and said playoffs or JB fired you can't have both I'd take the firing, but I don't think playoffs is necessarily going to save his job.

If they make the playoffs and get blown out so be it. I'll take more meaningful gamedays.
Saw a Twitter poll that suggested most would rather miss the playoffs and fire JB, rather than make the playoffs and keep him. I take it with a grain of salt because I don't know how many of those voting were truly fans of the Packers.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'd prefer no playoffs and no Barry. We would have little to no chance to win a SB this year with our defense. And I am more optimistic than most.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I went through it for each team and threw out any game that didn't matter and the Packers are now the #4 defense based on DVOA. We need to extend Barry not fire him!
When I did it I didn't get the same results as you. Were you using old math? In the city they now have this thing called a calculator. FYI.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Hanner's successor, John Meyer, was terrible, those early 1980s teams were FUN. Lynn D1(key throwing to Lofton, Jefferson and Coffman was a three-ring circus.

Revealing my age a bit, my youth was marked by two incredible TV sporting events: The Miracle on Ice and the 1983 Monday Night Football game versus the Redskins. The first Monday night game ever played at Lambeau. That game started off with a Mike Douglass sack-strip-six of Joe Theismann and only sped up from there. 48-47 Packer win. Crazy game. Defense optional.
My fondest memory of that game is when OJ Simpson said they have scored over 100 points.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what is going on in the locker room?
What we do know is this: there are several disgruntled players that include Campbell and Alexander. There may be others. Joe Barry is a proven failure and his continued support by MLF sets up a damaging double standard. One can draw their own conclusions but it's safe to say guys that have not been put in a position to succeed often enough by Joe Barry are probably not happy.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I did it I didn't get the same results as you. Were you using old math? In the city they now have this thing called a calculator. FYI.
I use latest and greatest state of the art abacus.

I followed the prescribed process:

- Look at every game
- Throw out any game where the data doesn't validate your belief
- Add it up

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Hanner's successor, John Meyer, was terrible, those early 1980s teams were FUN. Lynn D1(key throwing to Lofton, Jefferson and Coffman was a three-ring circus.

Revealing my age a bit, my youth was marked by two incredible TV sporting events: The Miracle on Ice and the 1983 Monday Night Football game versus the Redskins. The first Monday night game ever played at Lambeau. That game started off with a Mike Douglass sack-strip-six of Joe Theismann and only sped up from there. 48-47 Packer win. Crazy game. Defense optional.
Lynn was called "Plastic Man," because of all his surgeries. He was a dedicated ball player who did whatever he could to make it work.

There was an old saying in those days. You can beat our Packers but you can't lick our "Lynn."

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd prefer no playoffs and no Barry. We would have little to no chance to win a SB this year with our defense. And I am more optimistic than most.
And we would get pummeled in a first round game which could be in Philly, Detroit, or even Frisco.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What we do know is this: there are several disgruntled players that include Campbell and Alexander. There may be others. Joe Barry is a proven failure and his continued support by MLF sets up a damaging double standard. One can draw their own conclusions but it's safe to say guys that have not been put in a position to succeed often enough by Joe Barry are probably not happy.

Serious question. You talk about double standards. What players have really been held accountable historically in the last few years during the season? Packers seem to give everyone plenty of opportunities. Amari Rodgers was the last guy that was really shown the door and that was after 3/4ths of the season of pretty bad play.

Jaire has been wonky all season and just now the Packers did something and Campbell the Packers haven't even addressed or said anything and have pretty much just shelved Campbell.

I personally just see the Packers talking a lot about accountability and not doing much on either side.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And we would get pummeled in a first round game which could be in Philly, Detroit, or even Frisco.
Agreed, although I always want playoff games no matter what. We get destroyed by the 49ers or Eagles or probably even the cowboys, but I think we could beat the Lions.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Serious question. You talk about double standards. What players have really been held accountable historically in the last few years during the season? Packers seem to give everyone plenty of opportunities. Amari Rodgers was the last guy that was really shown the door and that was after 3/4ths of the season of pretty bad play.

Jaire has been wonky all season and just now the Packers did something and Campbell the Packers haven't even addressed or said anything and have pretty much just shelved Campbell.

I personally just see the Packers talking a lot about accountability and not doing much on either side.
You notice the players who are playing poorly and don't improve. You are missing the Rasheed Walkers that the Packers stuck with when we all questioned it. The Packers patience is rewarded with a player who may be the future at LT.

It doesn't always work out, of course, but the Packers seem to be willing to play someone they think can be good with more experience, even if it means sitting a better player now who has a lower ceiling.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lynn was called "Plastic Man," because of all his surgeries. He was a dedicated ball player who did whatever he could to make it work.

There was an old saying in those days. You can beat our Packers but you can't lick our "Lynn."
And OJ Simpson was one of the color men for that game.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You notice the players who are playing poorly and don't improve. You are missing the Rasheed Walkers that the Packers stuck with when we all questioned it. The Packers patience is rewarded with a player who may be the future at LT.

That was to my point. They aren't knee jerk reacting (not performing so "fire" them). There seems to be a suggestion that accountability is only going one way and I'm not seeing some extreme difference in how the Packers are in players v coaches. The Packers are pretty patient with players and coaches.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was to my point. They aren't knee jerk reacting (not performing so "fire" them). There seems to be a suggestion that accountability is only going one way and I'm not seeing some extreme difference in how the Packers are in players v coaches. The Packers are pretty patient with players and coaches.
That’s kind of part of it too though. How can you expect your players to take you seriously when you talk about accountability and responsibility when you seemingly do nothing to back that up the majority of the time?

And as I said elsewhere it’s downright laughable to hear LaFleur say that Jaire was suspended because “sometimes we have to take drastic action when people don’t meet standards that we are to hold them accountable to.”
This would seemingly imply that either a.) he feels Barry’s defense is “up to standard” and thus no action is necessary; or b.) Barry’s defense isn’t meeting those standards, but LaFleur is choosing to not apply ”accountability” in an equitable fashion.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You know what is going on in the locker room?
Locker room hi jinx, towel snapping, plans for the weekend, talking about the new girl in the office...
I use latest and greatest state of the art abacus.
For Christmas I got my wife new beads for her abacus --
-- It's the little things that count.

^^^^<I've been sitting on that one for weeks>^^^

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It's really not but I don't know that I see a lot of value in going into any kind of in-depth analysis of the Packers ranking 32nd or 30th by DVOA...either way the defense has been terrible and Joe barry is a terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE defensive coordinator.
Show where I said Barry is good. He needed to be fired long time ago

Stop the bs 1 time qb starter then was let go. Because that is only you trying to be a *****...Yes you are trying to be a ***** when you don't need to be.

We all want Barry gone.. But your stats shouldn't be the used the way you want because they aren't attainable. If you use worse game for all teams, then you are being consistent

But this is a stupid *** argument and you won't admit your way has a fault..its how you have been for years

No wonder I've had you on ignore

Time to go back there

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s kind of part of it too though. How can you expect your players to take you seriously when you talk about accountability and responsibility when you seemingly do nothing to back that up the majority of the time?

And as I said elsewhere it’s downright laughable to hear LaFleur say that Jaire was suspended because “sometimes we have to take drastic action when people don’t meet standards that we are to hold them accountable to.”
This would seemingly imply that either a.) he feels Barry’s defense is “up to standard” and thus no action is necessary; or b.) Barry’s defense isn’t meeting those standards, but LaFleur is choosing to not apply ”accountability” in an equitable fashion.
For Lombardi that would not necessarily be drastic but more routine. But back then a suspension was not the order of business. A fine was because players made so much less. And now if the club were to fine the players union would have to defend the player.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, I've been reading a bit of this kind of stuff. I gotta say it is apples and oranges. One is about competence and the other is about maturity. And obviously the coach tries to put the best players on the field, or the players he thinks will do very well with some time, or maybe just because the player was "his" draft pick and he can't let go. All that is very different than acting out. imo

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you hate your real life that much to be a **** here all the time to people for their opinions? Mod muscles covering up muscle in your pants? Either that or you're a drunk who needs rehab. Should change your name to Longtime nut job. Should come back with actual knowledge and decent insight yet you always act like a child. Oh well... I'll just laugh at you like everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.