Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
That would not be smart considering they need this game. Why would they make it any harder?
Because the other tossed 4 ints last week ... Mullen, I think his name is ... or, it's gamesmanship by the Vikes given our defensive struggles.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pro
Set a precedent for not tolerating incompetence

Con
Showing prospective coaches you will be given a long leash will attract better candidates

You're not wrong about these two. They're just so diametrically opposed to each other...

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In other words he didn't understand what the schematically was the purpose of a defensive play. Without that understanding the defensive players are unable to adapt on the fly.

This is coaching and I have little hope for Barry to ever adjust his MO or style or scheme to ever get an NFL defense to a high level.

Joe Barry is basically the manager that tells you to do something stupid and you've gotten so tired of trying to make sense of it you've just given up and just do whatever stupidity they ask.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear "we don't want to scare potential DCs into thinking they have no job security" as a reason we haven't fired Barry and I don't buy this at all.

Everyone knows that Green Bay is an eternally patient organization. They have had 3 years of patience with arguably the worst defensive coordinator in the history of football. No one is going to take a DC gig here worried that they're going to be on the hot seat right away if we fire Joe Barry 1-2 games before he's inevitably gone anyway.

The biggest reason is that Barry is a lame duck and if MLF makes a move now, he actually has to fire him, whereas if he can hang in there another 10 days, he can just "not renew his contract", thus sparing Barry's feelings. Which is, in a word, infuriating.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
For a lack of a better place to put it, Jaire A. was given a 1 game suspension by the Packers today for his Coin Flip BS.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given the decision to bench Alexander vs the Vikings because of a trivial coin toss event, maybe Joe Barry is being directed by MLF and Gute to play vanilla so the team gets a better draft position for next year by losing. Sure seems that MLF is still satisfied with Barry despite the defensive meltdown. While it sounds bizarre, benching Alexander and not having anybody to cover Jefferson when you are still playoff eligible doesn't make sense if you really want to win. I don't see how MLF can maintain any respect from the team if their primary focus is to win every game possible.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While it sounds bizarre, benching Alexander and not having anybody to cover Jefferson when you are still playoff eligible doesn't make sense if you really want to win. I don't see how MLF can maintain any respect from the team if their primary focus is to win every game possible.
I don't care if the Packers were 15-0 and trying to get the #1 Seed, you bench a guy, no matter who he is, for what Alexander did. If you don't, you lose your team.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care if the Packers were 15-0 and trying to get the #1 Seed, you bench a guy, no matter who he is, for what Alexander did. If you don't, you lose your team.
What Alexander did is trivial. It's a mere coin toss. Did he show a lack of judgement? Sure, but it isn't the kind of conduct that would lead to getting benched. You have to keep it in perspective and that's not what the FO did. This is payback about something else which we can pretty well guess is Alexander questioning coaching decisions in house. It's what got Josh Sitton canned. Problem is Alexander is probable right.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players like Alexander have a right to act out like the coin toss given the egregious double standard exposed by MFL. For players, you need to produce to keep your job. For coaches, as long as your loyal to MFL, you get to keep your job no matter how poor the performance. I'm not surprised. Other players on the defense are also starting to voice their grievances.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Players like Alexander have a right to act out like the coin toss given the egregious double standard exposed by MFL. For players, you need to produce to keep your job. For coaches, as long as your loyal to MFL, you get to keep your job no matter how poor the performance. I'm not surprised. Other players on the defense are also starting to voice their grievances.
Yeah, sorry, I obviously don't agree with you. The players vote for their Captains, they did not vote Jaire in as theirs. Him going out with the Captains for the coin flip, on his own decision, and then almost costing the Packers a possession in the process, that is inexcusable and an insult to your teammates.

Sorry buddy, you might be from Carolina, but nobody said that gives you carte blanche rights to be a jerk in Carolina.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 3 previous posts to mine were regarding the Vikes and I honestly thought I was in a Vikings pre-game thread. My bad, as I like threads staying on-topic & I contributed to this one derailing. :(
Hey absolutely no worries, it happens. I hate to see a good TE go down to injury as well. I was just really confused for a sec.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The 3 previous posts to mine were regarding the Vikes and I honestly thought I was in a Vikings pre-game thread. My bad, as I like threads staying on-topic & I contributed to this one derailing. :(
Stay tuned, I was about to bring up Rodgers, Crosby and Capers. ;)

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apples and oranges. And, who is MFL? :)

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably the same as one would get from any organization where the boss has a soft spot in their heart for the non-producer.
And there's the rub, he's a non-producing leech. Having a few good defensive games over the course of 3 years doesn't even equate standard coaching in my book. After Sunday, where BY had his best game of the year, the game clock was the only thing that stopped them, not the defense.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or..he could be terrible! We all know how great that franchise is at drafting qbs!
But..they have a history of raiding other teams. Tarkenton 2nd time, Joe Kapp Canada, Randall Cunningham Philly, Warren Moon Houston, Brett Favre Jets, and Kirk Cousins Washington. Now Dobbs!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because the other tossed 4 ints last week ... Mullen, I think his name is ... or, it's gamesmanship by the Vikes given our defensive struggles.
Well, you are right since several rookies have handled us this year why not toss in another.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A "right" to act out like the coin toss? Wow. Just wow...

We're talking about a one-game player suspension for insubordination to the coach, and disrespect to teammates. On a very young, impressionable team. Jaire needs to read the f-ing room.

In contrast, we're talking about full unemployment for a DC of a defense tied for 17th in NFL in points per game allowed. I highly doubt all 15 DCs below JB will also be getting fired.

My disbelief comes from the takeaway that the Jaire stans equate a 1-game suspension with a full-blown firing of JB. This world is really messed up...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have had 3 years of patience with arguably the worst defensive coordinator in the history of football.
Good grief. Time for a reality check. He's not the worse DC right now in the NFL let alone the history of the NFL.
What Alexander did is trivial. It's a mere coin toss. Did he show a lack of judgement? Sure, but it isn't the kind of conduct that would lead to getting benched. You have to keep it in perspective and that's not what the FO did. This is payback about something else which we can pretty well guess is Alexander questioning coaching decisions in house. It's what got Josh Sitton canned. Problem is Alexander is probable right.
What he did was anarchy and you cannot have that on a team. It was Jaire thumbing his nose at teammates who didnt vote him as a captain.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good grief. Time for a reality check. He's not the worse DC right now in the NFL let alone the history of the NFL.

What he did was anarchy and you cannot have that on a team. It was Jaire thumbing his nose at teammates who didnt vote him as a captain.
Agreed on both points. I still want Barry gone though lol.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry, I obviously don't agree with you. The players vote for their Captains, they did not vote Jaire in as theirs. Him going out with the Captains for the coin flip, on his own decision, and then almost costing the Packers a possession in the process, that is inexcusable and an insult to your teammates.

Sorry buddy, you might be from Carolina, but nobody said that gives you carte blanche rights to be a jerk in Carolina.
Do you think those same players who vote for captains also want to see Justin Jefferson torch a depleted secondary to the point it costs them a game? I would venture to say no. Alexander showed poor judgement but the whole team gets penalized with him out. Is that fair? I think a fine that penalizes a single player instead of a suspension that penalizes the entire team would've been appropriate.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pro
Set a precedent for not tolerating incompetence
Try out a new prospective DC - but I don't think there is anyone on staff and MLF plans to clean house

Con
Too late in the season. Will take a whole offseason to install a new attitude and bring players up to speed on any changes or wrinkles
No chance for SB anyway, would just decrease our draft position
Showing prospective coaches you will be given a long leash will attract better candidates

I'm not sure what I would prefer. I think if I was MLF I would wait and fire him the day after the season as well as his entire staff.
I have honestly wondered if firing Barry was discussed pre-season or even in-season and someone said "let's keep him, we could use a few extra losses to improve our draft position".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts